Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited July 2010

We need to pray for the Christians in Pakistan. I heard, from very reliable sources, the first of July 2 brothers (Pakistani) who were christian ministers were arrested for blastphemy against Mohammed. They were in custody for 2 weeks and endured torture. As they were being moved to last week by police to another location, they were gunned down by 5 masked men. Their families have had to go into hiding for their safety. There has been mobs of protesters against other Christians in the area, and damage done to several churches.

Sheila

• TMarina
    TMarina Member Posts: 297
    edited July 2010

I wish this was reported in our news.  So many people have no idea of the persecution that is still going on everyday.

Some good news--> One of our pastors just returned from Tanzania and he had reports of MANY miracles happening there, and many churches being planted.  The Holy Spirit is moving quickly and powerfully in many remote areas of Africa!

Musical and Jo--> thanks for your previous posts!

God Bless

Tina

• kira1234
    kira1234 Member Posts: 754
    edited July 2010

Hi my name is Karen. I've been learning so much abou breast cancer sinse my diagnosis June 1st.  This is the first time I found this thread.   am so happy to meet people who are also professing christians. I am thankful daily or the people who found my cancer so early, and believe it was God who grought these people to me at this time. My BS is also a christian and he and the staff pray before operating on each patient, and continue praying for them daily while in their care. I am so glad to find this group of people you are great.

Karen

• lvtwoqlt
    edited July 2010

Karen, glad you found this group of women. My surgeon also prayed with me before any of my surgeries.

Sheila

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 814
    edited July 2010

Karen and Sheila, how fortunate you are to have a Christian BS!  What a wonderful blessing for you.... and that he and the staff prays for all the patients. Great stuff.

Praise God for His great loving kindness. I thank Him that I can .....

Pro 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
    Pro 3:6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

KJV

Musical

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited July 2010
    He ALWAYs meet my needs JO! It's just sometimes I didn't know what they were....Undecided
  • kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited July 2010

How wonderful to see so many new members (not that they have bc but because they have the spirit of the Lord)!

As for any bill disallowing a religion to speak its truth - I was under the impression that the Bill of Rights ensure freedom of religion?

In my church there are two unforgiveable sins - the shedding of innocent blood and denying the Holy Ghost.  If you know in your heart that it is true (which is what the Holy Ghost does), denying it is a sin again the Lord.  Its like anything else, once you have received enlightenment, there is no going back.

There is so much sin in the world.  Someone famous said something like "evil prevails when good men (or in this case women) do nothing.I, quite frankly, am tired of seeing cleavage all of the place - and I was before I lost mine!  Yes, we all know you have breasts - they are meant to suckle babies not put on display.

These very well might be the last days so we need to stand up straight and bring as many souls as we can to Jesus.  There will come a time when we are persecuted so we need to stay strong and follow the Lord.

And finally, I missed you guys!  I need to keep up every day ... if you hang around christians, you are more focused on your true purpose here.

Lord, thank you for leading me here.

Love you women!

• barbe1958
    edited July 2010

Good to hear from you again Kathleen, God bless.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited July 2010

Hello sisters, I haven't posted in a while but I think of you you every day as I take my walk.  Along the route is a three-piece ceramic alligator lurking in some low growing plant. It reminds me of our Christian sister cakeisgreat (hi cake!) we both love those 'gators. Then I am reminded of this thread and all my sisters here. I love the time with God and include you in my prayers daily.  BTW I've now walked 202 miles of my 500-mile goal!  {{hugs}}

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited July 2010

JO - I forget the official start date but it's been since I started chemo March 9

• kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited August 2010

Jo, I've been tripping over my own feet lately - 3 falls in as many days!  I thought I left behind skinned knees when I was a kid!  But I think about you and my other christian sisters a lot.  I pray that the evil in the world decreases and more people follow God.  My great grandmother said that "all religions are beautiful if they are practices.  There are too many people content to twist their holy words (whether Christian, Jew, Moslem) into nothing that resembles the truth.  More wars have been fought in the name of God - its a mockery!

Badger, I'm so impressed - 202 miles!

Barbe, great to see you too.  Hope all is well with you - what's the orthopedic tests did you have done?  If I keep falling I will need one too!

• barbe1958
    edited August 2010

Haven't seen the back surgeon yet or the rheumatologist. My PCP is testing me for Ankylosing Spondylitis before I see the rheumi. More pain, more drugs, weaker and ready to give up...I ask for prayers for relief. Please God.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited August 2010

Oh Barbe, sorry you are going through this and sending up much prayer for you to have relief.  Don't give up, our God will not be mocked so satan, get ye behind!!!!

Lord, lifting up our sister to you.  Please touch her back with your healing powers and release her pain; grant her peace.  In the precious name of Jesus, I pray, Amen.

• lvtwoqlt
    edited August 2010

We had a wonderful service today, our choir sang ' Total Praise' which we have sung many times but today it really touched me. It is based on my life verse Psalm 121. I think what touched me most was it reminded me that no matter what, the Lord is in control. and knowing that I am losing my job in 5 weeks and no word on the job I interviewed for 4 weeks ago I must trust in Him one more time to take care of my needs.

Here is a link to 'Total Praise', listen to the words and think about what is going on in your life and how He will take care of you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv9-WlymKg0

Also, our preacher talked about some of his experiences from the past 2 weeks when he was in Nirobi Africa and how he was touched by a group of youth singing 'Awesome God'.

Sheila

• patoo
    edited August 2010

Sheila, that's one of my favorites (I have sooooooooooooo many favorites!).  That just put me into a state of praise and worship.  Thanks.

• katp
    katp Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2010

mimi  I too am 59 years old.  I had DCIS and atypical lobular hyperplasia (meaning it would become cancer) in my right breast.  I chose double masectomy and immediate reconstruction because I didn't want possibility of having to go thru it all again later.  I had both on May 10, 2010 and am doing great.  I am taking Arimedex (generic) and not having chemo.  I am doing great and will be returning to my kindergarten classroom on the 19th.  I missed 3 weeks of school after my surgery and then it was summer.  God has truly blessed me in all this.  I will be praying that He blesses you in whatever decisions you make.

• patoo
    edited August 2010
    katp, thanks for sharing.
  • TMarina
    edited August 2010

Wow Jo!  Thanks for sharing that!  I will pray they continue to heal quickly and have no lasting effects from the accident (physical, financial, or otherwise).

I could use some prayer this week!  My youngest dd is moving to college about 8 hours away (KC, MO) next Sunday.  We will be "empty nesters"!  I am excited for this new phase, but sad also.  Had my last AC chemo (start Taxol in 3 weeks) last Monday, so am still feeling weak, but have a lot to do. Please pray for strength and low stress (for dd and I) this week.

Thanks!

Tina

• barbe1958
    edited August 2010

Prayers to all!

Oh JO, how have you not told us for 3 days??? You must have been destroyed when you heard the news and waited to hear the results. God Bless them all and hugs to you!

Praise Jesus!

• patoo
    edited August 2010

Praise the Lord JO.  He does take care of His own.  We serve an AWESOME GOD!

TMarina - you will be fine.  Initially it will feel "different" not having her there but you will get used to that empty nest and, at times, look forward to it!

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2010

Thanks for posting that JO.  Bless you. If I may, Id like to make some comments.

"I believe the Bible is the complete, inspired Word of God." 

Amen and Amen!  We dont need any extra biblical revelation, muddying the waters and exacerbating confusion. Just like to add a few more to that worthy list like infallable; never outdated, but just as relevant as it ever was; irreplacable (so much for modern [per]versions); and totally preserved for all time..

I believe one of the biggest deceptions we face today is the way our words and their meanings have at 1st been slowly eroded away and now mutilated beyond recognition. All part of the plan. One day I decided to take particular notice of what words the Scripture uses for God alone. Take for example the word "create". It is a word that has become "acceptable" for us to use for ourselves, instead of attributing it ONLY to Him, our one and only Creator. I had my suspicions about this word years ago and decided to look in an old dictionary for what I knew was already in my spirit. Create means primarily to make something out of nothing. Now who on earth (literally) tries to do that? No other than people trying to play God, also known as witchcraft. No prizes for guessing, then, who is behind the direct assault and attack on language. It doesnt take much to join the dots here. If words are ambiguous and nebulous then words can mean anything. If words can mean anything then the sky is the limit and bingo you have everyone "creating" their own "realities" or more correctly, trying to. You no longer have absolutes or facts. Just opinions. The Bible (KJV) NEVER uses the word create for something that man makes. It is only something that is attributed to God alone. We have no business using this word for oursleves.

Heres some others to think about...

"Revival"....not mentioned once in Scripture and in fact is the opposite to what the word says will happen (2Th 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;) when the Lord comes to catch us away (1Thes4:12 & 1Co 15:52 ).  We have a few (7) mentions of the word revive. At best these are applied individually and/or for a specific condition....ie a contrite and humble spirit. There is very little precedence for "building a teaching/doctrine" on the word  revival, such as we've had in the last few decades.

"Awesome"....  according to the word, only God is awesome. We certainly are not, and nor is anything we we do.

"Wicked" .... we all should know from this expression the depth of sin the world has sunk to...  Isa 5:20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

Mat 12:36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
    Mat 12:37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

I was looking through some thoughts I typed up a couple of years ago as I was doing a broad  Bible study on relationships. In line with JOs post ...." and subject all my thinking to what I read in the BIBLE?"  I found this...

If we cant use the Word as our guide in everything then we are lost at sea like a ship without a rudder. I'm not talking about a person who has come to know the Lord and has no access to the word. I'm not talking about exceptions to the rule, and there will be those for sure, but those who have no obstacles to access the word. The word is just as relevant today as it ever was. It never becomes antiquated or outdated. If it's principles and advice appear "old fashioned" then guess who's moved the goalposts of what constitutes the yardstick for morals and values. In short, we should ALWAYS adjust our thinking to Gods word, and not the other way around. We should always change in order to agree with the word, and not change the word in order to agree with us.

The word doesnt speak on absolutely everything, but it speaks on absolutely everything we NEED to know.

Id like to pray now.....

Lord help us to obey your word. Please help us all to fear you more and more and learn to use our words more circumspectly. Give us strength when we stumble and get it wrong. We all do. I do....but Oh Lord let us not stumble at your word. Let it mould us make us, and make us wise unto salvation. 

I pray for ALL the ladies and gents too if theyre on or watching this thread for whatever reason that theyre here. To mind right now comes that you will strengthen Barbe, and oh how I know what it feels like to want to give up. Please relieve her pain as she asked us to pray dear Lord. I thankyou for JO's loved ones and that you protected them and it couldve been soooo much worse. Praise you Lord. I pray for TMarina and to give her strength, that you will be with her recouping from  the final chemo and the future Taxol treatments. Give her a peace that passes all understanding with all this and a new phase of the empty nest. Keep her daughter safe at college. Thankyou dear Lord.

Hey guys and gals Id ask for and appreciate your prayers too.  Ive been having a few dramas since my Mast. with one aspiration about 2 weeks ago resulting in a reaction (rash) from the wee dressing they put over it.  They tried to aspirate again last Frid. and I had to wait 8 hours in ED ... all I got for my trouble was feeling like yet another pin cushion, then it flared up worse through another dressing or the stuff they used for an ultrasound, and to top it off the flu from "the bug factory". I must confess my demeanour has been less than exemplary. Today the Doc has given me a little course of prednisone and antibiots.

Musical

• TMarina
    edited August 2010

Thank you ladies for your wonderful posts.  Musical, your prayer for me was perfect--and brought tears to my eyes (happens easily these days!).  Thank you also for the "Bible lesson" you gave us.  I will certainly pray for you too.

Jo, loved the quotes--I'm going to "borrow" the Tozer one.  I always try to stress to people the importance of continuing to read God's word---and the importance of talking to Him.

I will be praying for Barbe and the others on here this morning too. Know that God is hearing the prayers and holding each one of you up!

Tina

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2010

JO, Hehe , yeah the road can get bumpy, especially for a girl who goes for holiness and a "clean house" but fails miserably sometimes. Oh well, long as I remember God is an angry AND a merciful God. Smile

Im waaaaaaaay past bedtime here, and it must be the preddy has given me morkporkitiss. 8-/. Thanks for the tip regarding the gel. I wondered, but unfortunately I didnt have the presence of mind to wash it off.  Must say though, I havent had rads to left side, which is a prophy, but I do have plenty of dramas with allergies and sensitive skin anyway.  

Thanks for your prayers.

Musical

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2010

Hey Tina, our posts crossed. Im so pleased that my prayer helped. That makes a hard day a lot better, so now we are both blessed!  Smile

Yes Tozer's quote is tops and I really loved the D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones excerpt as well.

Praise God

Have a lovely day you ladies, as I try and get myself into sleep mode.Undecided

Musical

• Unknown
    edited August 2010

Good morning ladies!

I sure needed to hear that quote by Tozer.  Ever since I first was gripped by Christ at the age of 14 I've had a very child-like faith that I never question.  I KNOW He is with me always.  But I definitely do not spend enough time in the Word.  This was a wonderful reminder.  And since I have some time on my hands lately, I'll put it to good use in reading.

Hoping to get my drain out today; it is really irritating, the skin around the insertion point is all red and sad.  Tomorrow is my first consultation with onco, and hopefully I will learn all the details of my treatment plan.

Prayers out for a blessed day!

Kathy

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2010

Hey Cathy, GREAT to hear you want to spend more time in the word! Praise God. May He bless you and encourage you as read it. 

Im sorry about your drain causing dramas. I had this too recently, and it really was hard yakka to put up with. I pray that God will take away the irritation for you and that all goes well as it can be for your treatment plans.

Blessings

Musical

• patoo
    edited August 2010

A Child's View of Thunderstorms..... 

A little girl walked to and from school daily.    Though the weather that morning was questionable and clouds were forming,  she made her daily trek to the elementary school.  As the afternoon progressed, the winds whipped up, along with lightning.

The mother of the little girl felt concerned that her daughter would be frightened as she walked home from school and she feared the electrical storm might harm her child.  Full of concern, the mother quickly got into her car and drove along the route to her child's school.   As she did, she saw her little girl walking along .   At each flash of lightning, the child would stop, look up, and smile.   Another and another flash of lighting followed quickly and with each ,  the little girl would look at the streak of light and smile.

When the mother's car drew up beside the child, she lowered  the window and called to her , 'What are you doing?'   The child answered,  'I am trying to look pretty because God keeps taking my picture.'     

Just have a good evening and everyday, as you face the storms that come your way, become as a child.

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2010

TMarina ....just a little something for you that came to mind....

Psa 126:5 They that sow in tears shall reap in joy.
    Psa 126:6 He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him.

Blessings

Musical

• TMarina
    edited August 2010

Patoo--loved the story too :)

Thanks Musical!!  I did a fair amount of weeping today.  Had to get it out of my system!  I'm not completely sad about this stage of my life--there are definitely things I'm looking forward too. I just wish I felt better! And it helps tremendously to know that my dd is doing what God has called her to do, and He is working everything out for us.

love and blessings!

Tina

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2010

I did a good job of crying on Friday. After the pincushioning and 8hrs waiting in the bug factory (ED) there was no holding back, and it lasted all the way home and even after that (about an hour).  Sometimes it is a blessed relief and other times it leaves you sapped and drained. Wont it be neat when there's no more tears no more suffering.... in the meantime He is working in us for our benefit in the end, that is for sure. The refiners fire which aint too pleasant for the present.

I hope and pray you feel better soon. I think I have a touch of bronchitis (coughing until you see stars...arrrrgh) so Im feeling a bit like Im a sandwhich short of a picnic. Hope to get some shuteye tonite, last night was a disaster. Next to no sleep. Flippin prednisone me thinks. Oh well it if it works like last time, my mild dose, will kick this rash in the butt pretty quick so whats a few nights sleep in comparison???

Hey heres the good news. Im stoked. As a pro-active thing Ive been trying to lose some weight. Im now below where I was lowest during chemo late last year. After chemo I gained it again. About 8 KGs  (17.63 lbs) Ive lost most of that again and going down. This is while "doing" Tamox which a LOT of ladies appear to be having great difficulty with. Lord I pray for those who struggle in this most difficult of difficult areas of weight loss. 

Musical