Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• cakeisgreat
    cakeisgreat Member Posts: 188
    edited August 2010

Congratulations Musical!!!  I'm down almost 35 lbs since I was dx'd last June.  Losing weight for me is a MIRACLE!

Sorry I havent checked in forever!  It's been soooo busy with all the activity going on in my life!  For those who have said a prayer about our possible move to Seattle, we will know this week (or maybe next week) whether we are moving.  Whatever the Lord wants!  Thanks for praying!

Also...if anyone remembers "Allie" my daughter's 14 year old friend who possibly had a brain tumor, they are still trying to figure it out...they ruled out everything else, so she probably has one; they are just trying to find out if it's cancerous.  She still faints.  I'll keep you posted also.

And more prayers--if you think of it can you say a prayer for my MIL--she is stage 4 colon cancer to the liver, and she is as strong as nails.  Never complains.  But she's been on continual chemo (you know how that is) and she is looking less and less like the healthy MIL I know!  The good news is she is growing closer to the Lord, reads her Bible now and talks about God whereas she was not like that before.

Also, my mom is going in for tests because they found something on her lung and she has an enlarged heart UGH!

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited August 2010

Cake, you have a lot on your plate (and it's not cake!) so will keep you and your loved ones in earnest prayer.

Must be something in the air causing us to want to weep.  I didn't, but was feeling a little under yesterday.  Thank God we belong to Him.  Gets me out of a funk every time!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 814
    edited August 2010

Instead of saying cakeisgreat Im gunna say cake thats GREAT! WOW! 35lbs. Congrats to you too that is a SOLID effort. That looks to be pretty much double what Ive lost. Its also about what I want to lose, and I'm sure it will be doable for me without too much drama.  I dont wanna be skinny. I also dont want to lose it too quickly, and do anything drastic. I'll allow a treat on the odd occasion. My Onc Team wanted me to be where I am now, at the the end of the year, so they'll be pleased.  

For me, this was done by no special diet, but just simply putting less between the teeth and especially those carbs and sugar which I dont like much anyway and not too much fatty stuff. One key thiing that worked for me all through my earlier years was that if I wanted to stem the appetite all I needed to do was go without a couple of meals, or spend a day not eating. That'd do the trick. For medical reasons, later on, I couldnt do that, but this part still works. ... I reckon for me at least, more food breeds more appetite. Less food breeds less appetite.

One great thing while Ive got the flu is Im not hungry, though the Prednis. gave me a few hunger pangs in the wee hours of the morn, which I ignored, and only lasted but for a moment. Smile. I heard its supposed to give you a real appetite, so Im pleased to be able to stand up against this and Tamox. (Thankyou Lord) 

Everyones metabolism is different and what is achievable for one is like torture for someone else, but Ive mentioned this for those who want to lose weight and to try and see if it might suit them.

Lord I lift up Allie to you right now with this possible brain tumour. Oh God you see her need. Please touch her Lord. I thankyou for Cakes,  MIL and that she is getting closer to You Lord. Keep that flame burning that has started and dont let the enemy put it out I pray. There is so much sickness and suffering among us Lord and I also lift up Cakes mum to You. Please touch her too in a mighty way and draw her closer to yourself. Amen and Amen.

Patoo, BIG hugs to all who weep now for later they shall laugh. 

Blessings

Musical

• patoo
    edited August 2010

Thanks Musical.

Everyone have a great evening.

• lbmt
    lbmt Member Posts: 49
    edited August 2010

hi all,

welcome karen, i was so very blessed when i found this site also. its a wonderful group of girls

i just wanted to let you know my dad passed away this week. he had been fighting lung cancer

for the last year. he knew the Lord and that always gives us peace.

i can't make it to the funeral, which saddens me some. but i know where he is know.

God bless dear friends.

• kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited August 2010

I have been gone way too long on this thread.  I will have to catch up on my reading because each posting is a gem.  I learn so much reading your posts and they so help me in my spiritual develoment.  One I saw from Jo reminded me of the advice God gave us ... build your house on rocks, not on sand.  There is nothing if you don't have a solid foundation in the Lord to sustain you during bad times.

Barbe:  I am so sorry you are in chronic pain (that really grinds on my nerves).  I hope they find the answer soon.  Big hugs ((((((((((Barbe))))))))))))))

Laurie ... my sincerest sympathies on the death of your father.

Cake ... of my goodness you have quite a lot going on.  I am glad your MIL is turning to the Lord for solice.  A good friend of ours had colon cancer, had chemo and pronounced healed.  His wife (a nurse) insisted on a pet scan and the nodules in his lungs have doubled and in his liver too.  Please pray for him - his name is Wayne.  He's one of the good guys.

Please, all of you, my beloved sisters, find strength in the Lord and may He bring you peacel

• patoo
    edited August 2010

ibmt - so sorry for your loss but it is a little easier to get through when we know that our loved one is sitting with the Lord.  Wow!  Many prayers going up for your comfort.

Kathleen - earnest prayers going up for Wayne and those near and dear to him.

We serve an AWESOME GOD!

• patoo
    edited August 2010

Part of one of today's devotions which I wanted to share:

"Sometimes we in the church are accused of glossing over the fact that life can be hard. We sometimes tend to give the impression that all you need to do is give your heart to Jesus and all of your problems will be solved, all your bills will be paid, you will have success and prosperity and everything you touch will turn to gold. If you are a Christian, you will have a continual smile on your face and always be happy. We make all our baskets, we sink all our putts, we close all our deals.  Does that sound like your testimony? I know it doesn't sound like mine!

I think the problem is that we've confused joy with happiness. Happiness is dependent on happenings. Circumstances in your life dictate whether or not you are happy. Joy, on the other hand is a gift from God - a fruit of the Spirit that transcends whatever is happening in your life. Joy allows you to rise -even to soar- above difficult circumstances, challenges, and heartaches. Joy comes from knowing Who is in control and that He has a plan to give you hope and a future. (Jeremiah 29:11) We do not draw our strength from the great feeling we get when things go right; if we did, we would be powerless when hard times and adversity hit, and we would all be easy pickings for the devil. No, it is the joy of the Lord that is our strength!"

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited August 2010

Patoo, that is an amazing devotion! I have always wondered why I can be such a happy soul with all the crap in my life. In fact, people think I'm exaggerating or lying about some of my trials because I usually have a smile. Now I know that it is my FAITH that has held true and not just me glossing-over my trials. I thought I had lost JOY in my life as the pain beats me down, but this is telling me that it is the JOY that is keeping me happy through all this.

My post may seem convoluted, but it's my way of saying thank God that I do still have JOY in my life.

• kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited August 2010

Barbe .. of course you feel joy - you have a strong faith in the Lord and a kind and gentle hard and a great sense of humor.

One of my sisters sent this to me (its long but worth it).  It is simply called "Sisters."

A young wife sat on a sofa on a hot humid day,
    drinking iced tea and visiting with her mother. As
    they talked about life, about marriage, about the
    responsibilities of life and the obligations of
    adulthood, the mother clinked the ice cubes in her
    glass thoughtfully and turned a clear, sober glance

upon her daughter.. 

'Don't forget your sisters,' she advised, swirling
    the tea leaves to the bottom of her glass. 'They'll
    be more important as you get older. No matter how
    much you love your husband, no matter how much you
    love the children you may have, you are still going
    to need sisters. Remember to go places with them now
    and then; do things with them..
    '

'Remember that 'sisters' means ALL the women...
    your girlfriends, your daughters, and all your other
    women relatives too.. 'You'll need other women. Women
    always do.'

What a funny piece of advice!' the young woman
    thought. Haven't I just gotten married?
    Haven't I just joined the couple-world? I'm now a
    married woman, for goodness sake! A grownup! Surely
    my husband and the family we may start will be all I
    need to make my life worthwhile!'

But she listened to her mother. She kept contact
    with her sisters and made more women friends each
    year. As the years tumbled by, one after another,
    she gradually came to understand that her mother really
    knew what she was talking about. As time and nature
    work their changes and their mysteries upon a woman,
    sisters are the mainstays of her life..

After more than 50 years of living in this world,
    here is what I've learned:

THIS SAYS IT ALL: 
    Time passes. 
    Life happens. 
    Distance separates. 
    Children grow up. 
    Jobs come and go. 
    Love waxes and wanes. 
    Men don't do what they're supposed to do.
    Hearts break.

Parents die. 
    Colleagues forget favors. 
    Careers end.   BUT......... 

Sisters are there, no matter how much time and how
    many miles are

between you. A girl friend is never farther away
    than needing her can reach.

When you have to walk that lonesome valley and you
    have to walk it by yourself, the women in your life
    will be on the valley's rim, cheering you on,
    praying for you, pulling for you, intervening on
    your behalf, and waiting with open arms at the valley's end..

Sometimes, they will even break the rules and walk
    beside you...Or come in and carry you out.

Girlfriends, daughters, granddaughters,
    daughters-in-law, sisters, sisters-in-law, Mothers,
    Grandmothers, aunties, nieces, cousins, and extended
    family: all bless our life!

The world wouldn't be the same without women, and
    neither would I. When we began this adventure called
    womanhood, we had no idea of the incredible joys or
    sorrows that lay ahead. Nor did we know how much we
    would need each other..

Every day, we need each other still. Pass this on
    to all the women who help make your life meaningful.
    I just did. Short and very sweet:

There are more than twenty angels in this world.
    Ten are peacefully sleeping on clouds. Nine are
    playing. And one is reading her email at this moment.

• barbe1958
    edited August 2010

Love it Kathleen; Love you too sweet sister!

• patoo
    edited August 2010

Yes, Kathleen - that is great.

Barbe, I can relate because I also always have a smile and people just don't understand.  I didn't realize under a few years ago when a co-worker commented that I always have a smile and I responded without even thinking about it that I have the Lord in my heart.  What I called the Lord, I now understand, that devotion calls the JOY of the Lord. 

Nowadays I usually tell people that I don't have a serious bone in my body so I'm always smiling but now I know that it's the JOY of the Lord! 

(I think this post is more convoluted than yours LOL)

Night my sisters.

• barbe1958
    edited August 2010

Actually Patoo, I understood your post better than mine! LOL

Yep, my smile is JOY!! Laughing

• patoo
    edited August 2010

All the time!

We serve an AWESOME GOD.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited August 2010

Amen!  I recently learned the surgeon who performed my BMX six months ago is re-locating to another state. He did such a good job for me, I started thinking about how "lucky" I was to have him as a surgeon.  That a doc with the skills I needed was where I needed him, when I needed him, etc. Then of course I realized it wasn't luck it was God and I was incredibly grateful - still am!  You know, I've got that smile too...  {{hugs}} 

• badger
    edited August 2010

praying for you {{JO}}

• TMarina
    TMarina Member Posts: 297
    edited August 2010

Praying for you Jo!

• barbe1958
    edited August 2010

JO??? What did he say? Can I let my breath out yet???

• patoo
    edited August 2010

JO, JO, JO - come on out!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 814
    edited August 2010

Hey JO, thinking and praying for you right now.

Musical

• patoo
    edited August 2010

All the time and all the time God is good!  That's good news JO.

We serve an AWESOME GOD.

• patoo
    edited August 2010

Oh, how often we let #4 interfere with our walk!  I know I am guilty of allowing, and yes, I allow it, myself to get side-tracked during my walk.  I vow to work on that - my Lord deserves no less. 

Thanks twin.

• barbe1958
    edited August 2010

Please help me allow God to do his work now. We have a conditional offer on our house, so were able to put a conditional offer on another place that will reduce our monthly debt by 30%! By total fluke I had booked my holidays back in January to coincide exactly with the closings in October (weren't even planning to move at that point). Why can't I accept that everything will work out instead of waiting for the other shoe to fall?

• Unknown
    edited August 2010

Hi barbe - congratulations on the move possibility!  Debt reduction is on my list too, but realistically pretty difficult right now. 

I share the difficulty of complete reliance on Him.  As far as waiting for the other shoe to fall, well I'm pretty cynical and often expect one difficulty after another.  Much of my life has been that way, and sometimes that's exactly what I get!  My husband thinks I'm "holding back" and not submitting myself to God.  I'm a control freak - so my approach ever since my diagnosis has been research research research so I practically know what the doctors are going to say when I get there.  I don't know how submitting would look any different than what I'm doing now.  Any insights from any of my sisters here?

• Polyana
    Polyana Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010

Olive2, Hi I just read your post while I am writing my desperate ones. I think I have PD of the right breast, although the path. report did not say, it is IDC I had this mass under my nipple for 3 yrs and it did not grow, now recently I belive it is starting to grow. Indeed it is slow growing, I am afarid that delaying my treatment will put me on worse prognosis. I am thinking what if it goes somewhere else, my lungs my brain... I refused the surgery coz I was soooo panic and had an attack at the day of the surgery on the holding room. Excuse me to ask, how do you follow up to make sure that your PD is still in place! I was told to drink lots of carrot juice, and excercise as well to use Mega3 oil or anti oxidant oils for my nipple, and antioxidant food such as pruns they say it help alot. What else do you know that you could share with me.

Thanks

• barbe1958
    edited August 2010

Polyana, you might want to find a better forum than this to post on. Here we are talking about have God in our lives. You need feedback from the IDC forum. Your concerns are very valid and should be addressed there! Good luck.

Okay, so God closes a door. Are we not to persevere? At what point do we take the hint that we're going in the wrong direction. How can I "Let Go, and Let God?" I am responsible for my DH and I and don't like a fatalistic attitude of "it is what it is". When am I supposed to let go! HELP!

• badger
    edited August 2010

You know, Barbe, that's an excellent question.  When we've been lead to do THIS, when do we stop doing THIS and start doing THAT instead?

The only answer that comes to mind is a quote by American baseball great Yogi Berra: "When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

Sounds dumb but it was recently explained to me that Yogi lived on a circle drive so turning either way would get you to your ultimate destination - his house.  As Christians, we know our ultimate destination - God's house - so as long as we are guided by Him is there any way really to make a wrong turn?  Just a thought.....

• barbe1958
    edited August 2010
    Oooh, a very good analogy! So, if I'm doing it all for the right reasons and have God by my side, I really can't go wrong, right? Undecided But, if there are 3 forks, then what? Or am I just borrowing trouble....Tongue out
  • badger
    edited August 2010
    who, you?  naaaah Kiss  no more than I ever would Wink
  • barbe1958
    edited August 2010

Okay JO, that makes sense. Let's just have a collective prayer that I can really hear God when he assists me on this venture!