Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• magdalene51
    magdalene51 Member Posts: 2,062
    edited September 2014

Nancy, I'll ditto you on that gratitude! And here's mine:

I'm grateful for breast cancer. When I began this journey, this was one of the first threads I added to my favorites and read daily. But it was a long time before I made my first post, and some of you may remember how I was struggling in my walk. I'm far from where I want to be, but between you ladies here and the girls in the July chemo thread, he has pulled me closer and closer. I carry such a burden for those women! I could not have continued to monitor the thread without being able to turn to him daily and lay them at the foot of the cross.

Each day before DH leaves for work, he stops beside the bed and takes my hand and prays for our day. After he leaves, as I lie there still half asleep, I talk to the Lord and ask him to give my sweet husband a blessed day, and then I bring each of you and my girls before his throne. How could I not have grown closer to him? 

So thank you, Lord, for cancer, for the circumstances that put my chemo on the first day of July so that I would start that thread.

By the way, some of my girls are starting to ring the bell!

• SpiritBlessing
    SpiritBlessing Member Posts: 552
    edited September 2014

Awesome Mag...Praise God to the Highest!!!

Ladies, I have not heard from Sue yet.  I am going to try and call her later today. 

I am so pleased that some of you are connecting and exchanging numbers, what a blessing is being made. 

I will put out there that I am open to any of the newbies to contact me any time as well so PM me and I will give you my number.  I don't mind being the one to call Sue and make contact and then have someone call me so that would be awesome too.

Also, please prayers for me as my DH and I are having some struggles in our plans for the future.  It is so hard to decide what is best to do in our situation.  So hard for DH as this was not our plans for retirement, I pray his faith pulls him out.  The enemy is playing dirty.  I bind him and cast him out of our lives into the deepest part of hell.

We EXALT you Oh Lord and you are MIGHTY and we LOVE you with all our hearts minds and souls...Amen and AMEN!!!

Lucy

• saltyjack
    saltyjack Member Posts: 326
    edited September 2014

Nancy/BW, what a great idea to have a "praise of the day"!  I thought of 3 or 4 specific ones right off the bat (besides, of course, the general thanks for this thread and all you great ladies) so I'm set for a while. 

First, Mags, I'm so proud of you - being able to say you're grateful for breast cancer. I've been struggling for over a year now to say that (with sincerity!) so you're way ahead of me. However - I can absolutely, positively thank God without any hesitation for everything that's happened SINCE my diagnosis - a much deeper, better relationship with Him has been the best occurrence. 

I'm also so very grateful for many events and people. One of the first amazing blessings I had was through my friend, Barclay. The week before I went for my ultrasound and biopsy, my husband had left to bicycle the Pacific coast - he planned to be gone for two months. On Monday, after the doctor at the biopsy said "I'd be very surprised if it's not cancer," I called Dave (crying and half crazy, of course) and he started making plans to get himself to a big city with an airport - but we decided that we'd wait till we got the biopsy results on Wednesday before he flew home from Oregon to Texas. The folks at church knew about my situation and here's when Barclay became (as another friend called her) my "Jesus in a skin." Barclay had just spent the summer taking her older sister to chemo and rads as she fought lung cancer so knew exactly what I was facing. She told me that she would go with me (or not go with me - my choice) to any doctor appointment, test, meeting or procedure - the only time when she wouldn't make herself available would be if her sister had something scheduled at the exact same time. What an incredible blessing that was to hear - especially with Dave so far away?!  

Since then, Barclay has continued to be a wonderful support. When I was in the hospital for my mastectomy, she sent me flowers and the day after I got home, sent a huge "Edible Arrangement" to me to enjoy. I said then it was the best time I'd ever had being sick (because I never felt very bad - took one pain pill because I thought I should but didn't need any more - thank you again, God). 

Well, that got into a ramble but as soon as I start thinking about how God has been with me every step of this journey and shown me His power over and over again, I just can't stop!

God is SOOOOO good - all the time!

love, Bev

• magdalene51
    edited September 2014

Evening sisters, just a quick note to let you know that our July chemo gal who's been in the hospital was released today. Praise the Lord and thank you all for the prayers!

• zjrosenthal
    zjrosenthal Member Posts: 1,541
    edited September 2014

Today I am thankful for my hubby's salvation.  He has handled this cancer so well and is a wonderful support.  

• gardengal777
    gardengal777 Member Posts: 376
    edited September 2014

I am thankful for my journey this past year. It was not in my plans to go through two different surgeries but both have brought me closer to God and have been humbling experiences. God has shown me some pretty incredible things about him  and about myself. i am blest to pray with all of you and thank God for the opportunity for me to get together with Bev this summer. I look forward to seeing her again and perhaps Sharon and Deborahanne.

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,876
    edited September 2014

Dear sisters,

I am already blessed by everyone's sharing. Mags, so glad that Jenniliza is home from the hospital. PTL!  Another thing to be grateful for. I counted on the calendar where 50 days would land us. I think it was something like Nov. 6 a few weeks from Thanksgiving. I know that each one of us is dealing with our own things whether shared or not. I just feel this is a way to draw closer to the Lord in an attitude of gratitude. I know when things get hard sometimes we need to be reminded of all the blessings that God gives us in the big things and the little things as well.  I know that we are all so concerned about Sue and of all people she would be the first to post her gratitude to God if she could. Our prayers continue to be lifted up for you dear sister.

Whoever is the first to post tomorrow if you would be so kind to put Day #2 of 50 DAYS OF GRATITUDE at the beginning of the day so if anyone joins us they can post as well.

I loved hearing your stories Mags and Bev, Zj and Char.

Lucy, praying that you and DH can get some things settled. I hope you can reach Sue and share with us.

As the Lord continues to work in our lives daily I have no doubt that we can certainly find 50 things to be grateful for. The fun part will be looking for them because sometimes they are staring us in the face and we don't always see Him working.

Good night everyone. Have a restful sleep and thanks for sharing.

Love,

Nancy

• ADJ
    ADJ Member Posts: 203
    edited September 2014

50 days of gratitude

Day 1

Thank you, Nancy, for being obedient to The Lord and presenting this idea here. By faith, choosing to pull myself out of a pity party, I want to thank God for His daily kisses, most I don't take time to recognize. Such a blessing to connect with sisters in Christ and bc right here!

Love across the miles, 

Anita

• zjrosenthal
    edited September 2014

Day 2  50 days of gratitude

Thanking our great physician, Jesus for getting me through the first round of A/C and in advance for the next round on Monday. 

• bandwoman1234
    edited September 2014

ZJ Thanks for posting Day #2.

I want to thank the Lord for bringing me so many friends that walked along side me during my bc journey.
    I have and still am overwhelmed at all the people that prayed and supported me during this time. Jesus, I am truly humbled and in awe of your love for me and for all of us. How you shower us with blessings every single day. Thank you Lord. I love you!

Glad to hear from you Anita. When we focus on gratitude it takes attention off of ourselves and puts in on the Lord. Not only are we blessing the Lord but we are also helping ourselves in the process. Are you still enjoying your water class?

Praying ZJ for your next chemo and glad you have one down already.

Sue, dear sister, I am still praying for you. I pray that you are resting comfortably and that you are getting good medical help. I hope you will be able to get back home soon. We all love you dear one.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• magdalene51
    edited September 2014

Day 2

I'm thankful that the Lord woke me at 2 am and kept me praying and thinking until time to get up. Although I'm tired and pretty flaky from lack of sleep, my soul is at peace. "I will fear no evil for thou art with me."

• ladyb1234
    ladyb1234 Member Posts: 1,239
    edited September 2014

Day 1 & Day 2 of gratitude:

I have a heart felt gratitude and praise for my Heavenly Father who has stood by my side my entire life whether I was aware of His presences or not.  A gratitude and gratefulness that His love for His Children and mankind is never failing and He has set a path for us to grow ever closer to Him through our High Priest Jesus Christ.  As I look back on the few months before I realized I would walk this journey I see God's sovereign grace that order my life and my footsteps to prepare me for this walk and I can't help but Praise Him.  God's timing with a new job that would not require so much travel, timing in my yearly mammogram, slowing me down where I was not so busy and was able to be more aware of what was "not" right in my body.  His timing on assisting me in choosing my medical team. His timing in meeting me and my husband in this journey and drawing us even closer to Him.  The small steps in preparing me for the journey takes me to the scripture.  "Look at the birds of the air; they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?" (Matthew 6:26) and "Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows" (Matthew 10:29–31).   Knowing through this journey that my worth in God' sight is beyond what I can comprehended at times.  No matter how I may be limited physically, or mentally, is never in question in how He loves us".  I am full of gratitude because of His agape Love.  An old Gospel Hymn that was song often when I was young just sits in my soul this morning that was inspired Jesus's words in Matthew, " His Eye is on The Sparrow".  I remember hearing the Mahalia Jackson version so often when I was younger.  God Bless all today.

1. Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
      Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heav’n and home,
      When Jesus is my portion? My constant Friend is He:
      His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
      His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
      1. I sing because I’m happy, I sing because I’m free,
      2. For His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
    2. “Let not your heart be troubled,” His tender word I hear,
      And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;
      Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see;
    3. Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,
      When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,
      I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free;
  • magdalene51
    edited September 2014

Angie, that song is one that my sweet friend T used to sing, so I always hear her voice. I pray I will again some day.

• ladyb1234
    ladyb1234 Member Posts: 1,239
    edited September 2014

Mags: Thank you for sharing such a touching and personal story. It really touched my heart on how awesome the support teams God has gathered around each of us. There are a few that I had expected to be there and are not and some that I didn't think would be there are and very strong and supportive.

Lucy:  Thanks for keeping us updated on Sue. Praying for your specific prayer request for you and your DH.  

Nancy and Anita:  In my prayers as always.  

Char:  praying for you and your race that is coming up.

ZJ:  Praying for your next chemo treatment and that you have minimal to no side effects from the first round.

Sue, as always praying for your recovery and rest.   I am praying that you are at comfortable and have the support you need.   Hugs through the distance and thinking of you always.

God is so good and faithful through our trails and joy. 

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds", James 1:2 NIV

- Angie

• magdalene51
    edited September 2014

I've posted this before, but I wanted to do it again as some of you weren't here then, and because when I posted it it was a hope, and now it is a reality. My favorite poem.

(My artwork.)

• bandwoman1234
    edited September 2014

Hi Angie,

Thanks for sharing one my favorite scriptures and songs. You all would laugh hearing me try to sing the song earlier. Unfortunately I have damaged vocal cords due to my neck surgery a few years ago so I can only get so high and then my voice cracks. Not a pretty thing to hear! When is your next chemo?

Mags, Thanks for sharing your poem and on such a beautiful background. I hope that you will get to hear your special friend T sing this song again. Her gift to you was so special. Thanks for posting it. Her gift of friendship is priceless.

I will be having a mammogram on Monday and will have an abdominal ultrasound on Thursday. I would appreciate your prayers for both. The thought of facing another surgery was not on my bucket list of things to do after rads! I do want to feel better though. My GI issues persist but I have been able to walk some which is a big improvement.

Love,

Nancy

• zjrosenthal
    edited September 2014

I have a bladder infection and am waiting for my chemo nurse to call and let me know if I can take the antibiotic the gp up here prescribed.  Please pray that it will be easily treated and not interfere with my next chemo on Monday.  Thanks.  Love,  Jean

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    edited September 2014

My tumor markers were all good. My lump is gone. I must have had an infection in my lymph nodes. I was feeling poorly all week, so that may have been the culprit. I have a abdominal CT scan on Monday, but it is for my diverticulitis, not CA. Praising God I am still in remission. :-)

Blessings

• ADJ
    ADJ Member Posts: 203
    edited September 2014

50 days of gratitude 

Day 2

I am feeling the love and caring also good medical care up here on the 5th floor of this hospital. 

Anita

• bandwoman1234
    edited September 2014

I had another unexpected surprise and blessing tonight. I had just got home and no more in the house and my doorbell rang. It was the neighbor next door. I noticed there was a package on my front porch which I just saw for the first time. My neighbor said I am here to show you how to put that together. I am like what are you talking about. So she came in and I opened this present which was a gift from her that had been delivered. They had already sent me an edible fruit arrangement after my surgery in March and I certainly wasn't expecting anything else. This gift as you can see is for breast cancer patients. It is from Scentsy which my neighbor sells. It is called ribbons of hope. It is really neat. It is basically a flameless candle. It has a light and then it comes with little pieces of candle which you put in the tray on top and the light heats the candle and you have a scented candle without the flame. Also when she sells this product part of the proceeds goes to a breast cancer charity. So I have another thing to be thankful for. Caring neighbors. Here is a picture of it.

Love,

Nancy BW

• bandwoman1234
    edited September 2014

ZJ, Praying that you will be able to take your antibiotics to get rid of your bladder infection and praying that it won't interfere with your chemo on Monday. Hope you are feeling better. I hate those things. I hope you are feeling some relief by now.

Anita, Glad you are feeling the love and glad you are getting good medical care.

Mini, Praise God that you are still in remission and this lump is gone. I am praying that you will feel better and I hope you get a good report from your abdominal scan on Monday.

Thank you all in joining with me in this 50 DAYS OF GRATITUDE.  I can't help but think God is smiling hearing all of the gratitude and inspirational stories. Let's keep those Praises and thankfulness coming in. It blesses God and it blesses all of us too.  

Love

Nancy

• saltyjack
    saltyjack Member Posts: 326
    edited September 2014

Oh, Jean - hopefully you've been able to take the antibiotic and are feeling better. Bladder infections are no fun any time but especially when you have chemo coming up, it's so hard to think of having to delay it by even a day! I'll be praying that you feel better and will have peace about whatever happens on Monday -hopefully chemo but if not, there's a reason.  Like my pastor says, not everything that happens to us is good but God will use it for good!

Mini, so glad for your good news and Nancy/BW, what a great kiss from God through your neighbor!

Anita, thanks so much for your faithfulness and strength - you're such an inspiration!

Angie, good to see you here - hopefully you're back to feeling normal after chemo on Wednesday. Another one is history!!!

My thanks today is for our friend, Sharon. She's been a great inspiration and help to me through the past year but especially the day of my surgery. I was on the way to the hospital at about 5:00 in the morning and she was texting me like crazy, all kinds of Bible verses and encouragement. Satan had me all worked up - not about the surgery itself but from the possibility of some freaky one-in-a-million accident (the week before my surgery, a dear friend at church had elective liposuction surgery performed and they somehow punctured her intestine so she ended up with a horrible infection and that's all I could think about....till Sharon got me focused on God and His power over everything that would happen.)  Better yet, my pastor reminded me that even though they'd all be praying for me (and he actually spent several hours in the waiting room with my husband, who is not a believer, so it was even more precious to me) nobody could go with me into the operating room....but God would be right there with me and the surgeon, guiding her hand.  

I said yesterday that I still can't thank God for BC but ever since you started this 50 days of praise, Nancy, I keep thinking about my whole journey. Yes, yes, yes, I can finally thank God for BC - because I've seen His power in a new way and am so much better for the journey!

love you all - Bev 

• gardengal777
    edited September 2014

Day 2:

I am truly grateful for my salvation above all else. I am so undeserving, yet God knew before I came into existence that nearly 40 years ago in my final year of college I would kneel down on my knees and receive His son as my personal Savior. Each day I see the hardening of hearts and the lost and it is so sad that so many continue to reject Him. A few weeks ago my mother-in-law was updating her will and she requested no services for her furneral. She has told my husband that she does not want to go to heaven because she wants to be with her first husband. How sad.

• gardengal777
    edited September 2014

Angie: absolutely one of my favorite songs and the scripture is what I used at my wedding. 

• zjrosenthal
    edited September 2014

Day 3 of 50 days of praise. (A few hours early)

I thank you all for the prayers and a shout out hallelulia! 

I am on the antibiotic and the nurse said I could still have my chemo on Monday. 

• gardengal777
    edited September 2014

Day 3:

I am grateful for God bringing my husband into my life. During my youth my life was side tracked with me raising two nephews. One is my brother's. And the other my sister's. Both siblings went through divorce and hardships and,I took on both of their children. I was working five jobs and subbing because there was a teacher glut going on. Then my mother was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's and I became her legal guardian as she divorced my father even though he fought it. When my thirties had past and I approached my mid forties I surrendered the idea of ever meeting a Christian man to marry. Feeling bitter for a long time, I found resolve and peace in being single for the rest of my life. But God had other plans and when I turned 46 a friend made me go on a Christian website for singles and there my husband I met. Our first date was in a garden. Now 11 1/2 years later I have been blessed with a wonderful husband. One of my biggest fears has been being alone later in life but now I have been given this wonderful blessing. I learned never to say never for nothing is impossible with God. I believe that God wanted me to learn how to be content in whatever circumstance He put me in.

• bandwoman1234
    edited September 2014

Ladies if we are on Day 3 already then I should have been to bed long before now. LOL  I do realize that with Debbie living clear in Ireland that the time difference may make her days off from ours but that's okay.

Bev I am so glad that Sharon helped you so much the day of surgery and that your husband got to spend a lot of time with your pastor. Many things can happen in moments shared like that. Did Sharon's house ever sell or have they postponed it since she has a long term sub position now? Have you been getting lots of rain like some of the southwest? Did you ever get to buy your trees and plants you mentioned a couple weeks ago.

Jean, So glad that you're on your antibiotic and that you can still have your chemo on Monday. Hope you are resting comfortably.

Char, That is amazing how you met your husband. My old flame from college called me out of the blue last fall. I saw his last name come up on my caller ID that shows on my TV. I was slightly freaked out. It only had the last name and he had an unusual Italian name and I thought what are the odds that it is not him. Anyway I didn't pick up. He left a message and said he wanted to reminisce about our old college professor who was turning 98. I thought that sounds like a line if I ever heard one. LOL I figured I would call him back the next day. I sure had a lot of thinking to do. I didn't know if he was divorced or what. We did end up talking the next day for a very long time.  He had just celebrated his 40th wedding anniversary and was very much married. We were pretty serious in college but I broke up with him and never really met anyone like him since then. I didn't become a Christian until the summer before my senior year in college so I was not a Christian the whole time we went together. At my age it would be a miracle if I found someone. I am extremely independent so God would have to knock me over the head to get my attention if he wanted me to marry at this stage of my life. Who knows what might happen. I poured my whole life into my teaching and never had much time or energy for much of anything else.  I am glad  you met your husband even if it was later in life. That was really a sacrifice to raise your nephews and I think God really honored your service to your family and to your mom.

Have a restful sleep everyone. Sue, I am still thinking and praying for you.

Love,

Nancy

• gardengal777
    edited September 2014

Well Nancy, I jumped day three by 20 minutes eastern standard time but I was still awake and thought I would post.

I will wait for the official day four time. Okay Deborahanne saw this on my Facebook but I will give all of you chuckle. I got up at 6:15 this morning to go run. Not wanting to wake my hubby, I dressed in the dark. I gulped some water and headed out just before daybreak. At mile two I thought that I would actually run faster if my left knee would get with the program and cooperate. At mile four my left sock started sliding and twisting. I thought how strange as this is never an issue. So I shut down my timer and went to adjust it when I realized that on my right foot was my Brooke running shoe and on my left was my Ryka gym shoe. In my defense, they are similar in color. I whip out my phone and plead with my husband to look for the missing in action shoe and get in the car to bring it to me. Now I am giving him directions to a neighborhood he has never been through before. I try to hang out on the corner where I told him to go but I am soaked with sweat and now cooling off fast. I leave him a phone message and he is trying to find me based on my directions. He shows up with the missing shoe and I head off on my merry way to run another 3 1/2 miles in comfort. No knee issues and no slipping socks. Again another reason that am thankful for my husband.

• bandwoman1234
    edited September 2014

DAY # 3 OF 50 DAYS OF GRATITUDE

I am grateful for the caring neighbors in my little subdivision. One neighbor told me a friend from down the street was looking for me the other day. I did get to talk to this neighbor before she left to be with a cousin out of state who really needed her for a while. That she made a point of checking in with me before leaving really meant a lot to me.

Jean, I hope your bladder infection is under control now.

Char, I thought you were going to say that you had two right shoes on. LOL Yes, I speak from experience. I noticed it right away. I may be dense but not that dense! Loopy When I was teaching I got up at 4am. It would be totally dark and I always had trouble telling my black pants from my dark blue in the wee hours of the morning. I remember getting to school going to the bathroom and realizing that I had a blue sock on and a black sock. It just felt wrong the whole day and I am sure I was the only one that noticed or cared! Char, your husband is a gem to get out of bed to deliver a shoe to an unknown location!

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. I was going to check out the annual Art Fair on our Riverwalk but bad storms are about to hit. They will be there tomorrow and hopefully I will feel like going to church and then checking it out afterwards.

Sue, I am still thinking and praying for you. I hope you are resting comfortably and getting good care.

Love

Nancy

• zjrosenthal
    edited September 2014

Feeling much better today.  Laundry almost done (hubby had his accident last night ;*)  Bed changed again. Lol.  Off to a restaurant with 11 family and friends to celebrate hubby's 71st birthday.  Next chemo set for Monday.