thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• magdalene51
    magdalene51 Member Posts: 2,062
    edited April 2015

Yes, Polly, it was Belle Isle Community Church until 1999 when we moved to our new facility which is incredibly huge now. The church has always been debt free, building as the funds were available, and now there's a school as well, K-12. Our old facility now houses a Messianic Jewish congregation called Rosh Pinah.

How do you know about Belle Isle?

• SpiritBlessing
    SpiritBlessing Member Posts: 552
    edited April 2015

Ellen, sorry for the loss of Fonnie but the real blessing is she is with Jesus and the angels are rejoicing.  We will get to meet her and you will see her again.  Sorry for the fender bender but glad no one was injured other than the cost for repairs.

Nancy glad your back has improved and if things work out to get you to your mom then just take it easy.

Jean so impressed you are doing zumba...good job!  Its awesome to stay moving no matter what it is, right?  So is Herceptin/Perjeta an infusion drug (s) or pill?

Anita we are all believing for miracles and I know I am expecting one for sure...in Jesus Mighty Name...Amen!!!

Mags great video of Sandy, what a real blessing to have her at your church.

Prayers for my little dog Gidget as DH stumbled today while I was at work and he fell and somehow kicked her or hit her with his cane and she was limping bad on her already bad leg that has a pin in it.  They took xrays and she is fine but they put it in a split and we are to keep her settled for a week...she is not cooperating...lol.  DH is ok too as he did fall on his bad knee but ok.  I am doing well and still trying to find someone who is using the Xeloda as I am leaning to doing this pill for a while first before the other trial option. 

Good night ladies...love and blessings to all of you...Lucy

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,875
    edited April 2015

Good evening sisters,

I have been reading and praying but have not posted my usual posts. I am not able to go to my mom's tomorrow. My pain was actually worse today so I have not done too much other than icing and heat. I am pretty drugged up at this point so wouldn't be able to drive. I am praying I will be able to leave for my mom's in a few days.

Angie, how are you doing at this point? How is the skin healing?

Mags, praying that you are getting your life back one day at a time.

Anita, good to hear from you. How is your new treatments going? You are a strong woman!

Polly, I sent you a PM but lost it and sent another one. Praying for you dear sister.

Lucy, so sorry to hear about your poor Gidget getting the brunt of Steve's fall. I am sorry for both of them. I know I had prayed for her recently when you mentioned she was not well. I have a soft spot for animals and especially our pets who are part of our family. Praying that DH's knee is okay after the fall.  Have your tried putting Xeloda in the search on the forum? Did you see Debbie from Ireland's post regarding that drug? It was just the other day. How are you doing in general? Your painting class looked like a great distraction and just plain fun. Glad you got to do that. Your smile could light up a room.

Jean, praying that your rads goes well this week and that DH will get some answers soon regarding his eye.

Ellen, prayers for you in your time of grief and dealing with the car accident.

Kath, praying that your WBC will dramatically improve and that your work week will go smoothly.

Debbie (foots) praying that the Lord will meet all of your challenges and give you rest and peace tonight.

Debbie (Ireland) how are you doing? Are you fully recovered from your illness that landed you in the hospital? How are your treatments going?

Bev, thanks for the prayers. I hope you are getting in lots of bike rides to get yourself in shape for your big trip.

Jo, how are you doing and how is your DH after his procedure?

Thank you all for your prayers.

Have a good night's sleep everyone.

Love you all

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited April 2015

G, praying that you are resting comfortably after your surgery today. Praying that the doctors will be able to find the source of your infection. Praying for a speedy recovery and for strength for this journey that you are on while taking care of a little baby. God Bless you dear sister.

Sheangel, how are you doing after your surgery? Praying for strength and a strong recovery dear one.

Love,

Nancy

• SpiritBlessing
    edited April 2015

Daily Devotional

"Acquainted with Grief"

We are not "acquainted with grief " in the same way our Lord was acquainted with it. We endure it and live through it, but we do not become intimate with it. At the beginning of our lives we do not bring ourselves to the point of dealing with the reality of sin. We look at life through the eyes of reason and say that if a person will control his instincts, and educate himself, he can produce a life that will slowly evolve into the life of God. But as we continue on through life, we find the presence of something which we have not yet taken into account, namely, sin—and it upsets all of our thinking and our plans. Sin has made the foundation of our thinking unpredictable, uncontrollable, and irrational. We have to recognize that sin is a fact of life, not just a shortcoming. Sin is blatant mutiny against God, and either sin or God must die in my life. The New Testament brings us right down to this one issue—if sin rules in me, God's life in me will be killed; if God rules in me, sin in me will be killed. There is nothing more fundamental than that. The culmination of sin was the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, and what was true in the history of God on earth will also be true in your history and in mine—that is, sin will kill the life of God in us.

We must mentally bring ourselves to terms with this fact of sin. It is the only explanation why Jesus Christ came to earth, and it is the explanation of the grief and sorrow of life.

Read Isaiah 53:3

• zjrosenthal
    zjrosenthal Member Posts: 1,541
    edited April 2015

Dear laddies. I am asking for prayer again. I seem to be a prayer hog these days. Sorry. My chemo doc wants me to have an echocardiogram before my herceptin / perjeta infusion in May and it is scheduled for the week after I finish my radiation. Rads are on the left side and I don't know if my skin will tolerate the procedure. I see my rads doc on Friday and intend to ask him about it.

I am thanking Jesus that my hubby seems to be getting decent sleep tonight. Love, Jean

• SpiritBlessing
    edited April 2015

Jean praying for you to get through the echo without any problems if you have to do it. Blessings. Luc

• SpiritBlessing
    edited April 2015

Have a blessed day Warriors!!!

Daily Devotional

Maundy Thursday: His Agony and Our Access

We can never fully comprehend Christ's agony in the Garden of Gethsemane, but at least we don't have to misunderstand it. It is the agony of God and man in one Person, coming face to face with sin. We cannot learn about Gethsemane through personal experience. Gethsemane and Calvary represent something totally unique—they are the gateway into life for us.

It was not death on the cross that Jesus agonized over in Gethsemane. In fact, He stated very emphatically that He came with the purpose of dying. His concern here was that He might not get through this struggle as the Son of Man. He was confident of getting through it as the Son of God— Satan could not touch Him there. But Satan's assault was that our Lord would come through for us on His own solely as the Son of Man. If Jesus had done that, He could not have been our Savior (see Hebrews 9:11–15). Read the record of His agony in Gethsemane in light of His earlier wilderness temptation—". . . the devil . . . departed from Him until an opportune time" (Luke 4:13). In Gethsemane, Satan came back and was overthrown again. Satan's final assault against our Lord as the Son of Man was in Gethsemane.

The agony in Gethsemane was the agony of the Son of God in fulfilling His destiny as the Savior of the world. The veil is pulled back here to reveal all that it cost Him to make it possible for us to become sons of God. His agony was the basis for the simplicity of our salvation. The Cross of Christ was a triumph for the Son of Man. It was not only a sign that our Lord had triumphed, but that He had triumphed to save the human race. Because of what the Son of Man went through, every human being has been provided with a way of access into the very presence of God.

Read Matthew 26:36 and 26:38

• zjrosenthal
    edited April 2015

To say I thank my Jesus,for being able to stop and see my dear great granddaughter, sweet Valentina on the way home from rads yesterday. She is growing so fast and was having a great time bouncing in her bouncy chair. So cute. image

• SA8PG
    SA8PG Member Posts: 280
    edited April 2015

Hello prayer warriors,

Thank you all for the prayers & words of encouragement. I am home and resting. Praise report is that I didn't need the wound vac after all. When the Dr got in there he was able to close up the wound without it. That saved me from having home health come out m,w, & fri for a few weeks thank the Lord. Believing this is the end of this infection and it will never return again. I have a drain that should be out by next week. They cultured me again during surgery so will see if something grows this time. They are all scratching their heads. They think it may be an autoimmune response from having alloderm & expanders (both are gone but maybe the Alloderm that incorporated to my skin, the body is still rejecting?)

As soon as I hear back I will keep you posted. Believing with you all for your prayer requests that our God is able!!!!

Ephesians 3:20

20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us,

Hugs, prayers & love to all of you

G

• bandwoman1234
    edited April 2015

Hello sister warriors,

Today I am thankful that Jesus faced that cross for me and for you and for all of us.  I ditto that banner. Thank you God for not giving up on me.

Jean, praying that the heart test will not be an issue with your skin when rads are over. Your GGD is so adorable.

Kath, continued prayers for the WBC to get in range.

G, I am glad you are resting at home now and they didn't have to use the wound vac. That sounds very unpleasant and so glad God spared you that. God is able to do more than we ask or think. I am praying just that in your situation. Praying for the needed strength as you deal with your bc journey and a baby all at the same time. Let us know how we can pray for you. There are strong prayer warriors on this thread. I am glad you posted your request. Praying for a speedy recovery.

Praying for all of you today.

Love,

Nancy

• She-Angel
    She-Angel Member Posts: 97
    edited April 2015

Hi ladies, I had typed up what I thought was a great email and I wanted to add a photo like I see you all do and could not figure out how and somehow lost 4 paragraphs of witty repartae (smile).

I have been monitoring the discussion group it has been hard to get my arms in front of me without discomfort and pain and I have to sort of lean in an upright position so I was avoiding typing.

Nancy I do hope your back gets better so you can go visit your mom. I was thinking that we all have so much going on that it can seem overwhelming at times but we must remember it is not. Every day God is giving us new challenges to navigate, some good some bad to test and strengthen our faith. What we need to remember is to thank God and trust in his will and to know with all things involving us there is a purpose. His ways are not our ways.

As I sit on my deck with this balmy 74 degree temp and me in a hat and aphghan due to a breeze I have to reflect on his goodness. Two weeks ago today at this time I was in the recovery room and had been there 5 hours awaiting room, I could barely move and had a pain pump, a week ago today I was navigating with two drains on narcotics to manage pain and feeling sore and stiff barely able to wipe myself after bathroom visits. Today I can walk around freely, turn my head pass my shoulders and heat up one of those prepared frozen meals I fixed up months ago so my husband can go to work tonight and not worry that I am doing too much.

My mobility is sucky, still am not allowed to drive even though I stopped the drugs a week ago because the pain was manageable thanks to the good Lord. If I need relief Tylenol is fine and the plastic surgeon told me Tuesday I could go back to ibuprofen if I like. They would like another week of rest before I start activating the chest muscles. Next Wednesday we start the expansion process which I am told will go on every week until we get up to size.

I say all that to say the journey our father has is our own personal journey. I have come a long way since September 30, 2014 when they confirmed I had breast cancer in my left breast. Time has become relative as I embrace each new thing. A few weeks ago I was going crazy doing nothing. Today I thank God for giving me rest which I now believe is because I will need it for the next phase of my journey which he sees an is preparing me for.

I pray that everyone finds and feels some peace and rejuvenation of spirit this Easter weekend as we continue to lift one another up on prayer. God bless.

• zjrosenthal
    edited April 2015

Just a quick check in to give Jesus glory. I was waiting to see the radiation doc earlier and prayerfully thinking I should ask him about getting the echocardiogram the week after rads when the Lord showed up in a mighty way and dropped this in my dopey head. "Don't you think the one who can cause or calm a storm or an earthquake, who created the world, can change an echocardiogram appointment if necessary!" Then in comes the doc who says it shouldn't be a problem and I shouldn't change the appointment. Duh! I think God,spends a lot of time laughing at me. :*) Love, Jean

• Blessedteacher37
    Blessedteacher37 Member Posts: 297
    edited April 2015

Good evening ladies,

I am thankful for Christian friends here and in my daily lifewho comfort and encourage me. I am also thankful that 11 years ago tomorrow, I was privileged to marry the Christian man I had prayed for. God has been so good to us and our families. He truly took situations meant for our harm, and turned them into something for His glory.

Praying for a weekend of rest for everyone, and hopefully free of pain and side effects. Also hoping many of you will be able to spend time with family and friends. Rejoicing in the resurrection of our Savior...

Ellen

• Tobycc
    Tobycc Member Posts: 578
    edited April 2015

Loved everyones posts: needed to see the positive faith I see here everyday: Satan in my face today--- one of those days:

thankful I can turn to HIM

Blessings and prayers to all of you

Hugs

Kath

• magdalene51
    edited April 2015

Our church just posted video of the duet Sandi Patty did with her husband Don Peslis last Sunday. I was so hoping they would as it was amazing. I so wanted to share it with you all.

I drove myself to church tonight for Maundy Thursday service as DH and my cousin were both feeling not up to it. The drive took its toll on my shoulders and the walking has flared up the knee but oh it was worth it.

His Glorious Church

• mema4
    mema4 Member Posts: 484
    edited April 2015

Today I am so thankful for a clear xray of my spine, just showing osteoarthritis but no mets observed! I didn't know how worried I was about this backache until this report came back. So, tonight I take my muscle relaxer in peace feeling thankful for this outcome and the chance for physical therapy.

Mags, when I left the classroom to work at the state dept there in OKC, I attended Belle Isle and then the new church,until I moved to TX to work with a test publisher. I so enjoyed attending there and have never found a home church I like as much.

I am still tapering off one of my seizure meds so being very conscious of my hand when it seizes more. It will take about 6 more weeks to get off this one if all goes well. Kath, Satan is a mess! I pray he leaves you alone tomorrow. To all of you, I pray for peace, relief and a good rest tonight.  Blessings, Polly

• ladyb1234
    ladyb1234 Member Posts: 1,239
    edited April 2015

Mema, praising God for the awesome praise report! Praying that you get into PT soon.

G, again praising God for the good news!

Jean, love the report. Glad God stepped in and showed out :-).

She-Angel, so glad to see the update. Take full advantage of this time to rest.

Praying for a good nights rest for everyone.

• zjrosenthal
    edited April 2015

Today I thank my precious Jesus for all you dear ladies and for warmer weather. The snow is actually melting finally. Spring is beginning to spring.

This was yesyerday. Below is a few weeks ago.

• Blessedteacher37
    Blessedteacher37 Member Posts: 297
    edited April 2015

Good Morning, sisters of Faith,

Doing something right now that has been important to do since I retired...sitting on my deck, with a cup of coffee and my newspaper. Listening to the birds and wind chimes as I count my blessings. I had my own private memorial for Fonnie a few minutes ago...wrote a note in a card to her family, then let the tears flow as I listened to Matthew West's song "Save a Place for Me" . SomeOne at church told me that song wasn't Biblical, but iits lyrics really speak to me about the life she led. God knows my heart as well as that of Matthew West, so I feel free to listen to it.i had never heard it before the funeral of my older friend this week...her grandkids sang it at her funeral

I am thankful for Clyde and the 11 years of marriage we have had. We have encountered trials as well as many blessings, but we both depend on Him daily and that has made our marriage and faith strong.

I am thankful for our bluebird couple as they busily work on their nest this morning.Spring is a beautiful time of year, full of new beginnings. We can certainly apply this to our own walk with the Lord.

God bless you all this Good Friday....hoping you can attend a service this weekend as you are able.

Ellen

• magdalene51
    edited April 2015

Good morning, sisters. I am trying to not be upset with myself as I overdid it yesterday and am unable to get myself to Good Friday service today. Since I had to drive myself last night, my shoulders were in so much pain I spent a long time icing them down, and my knee still doesn't want to hold my weight. I would have had to be ready to leave early to ride with my cousin as she helps prepare worship folders Friday mornings, and I simply couldn't pull myself together. I'm hoping I will be able to make it to Easter service.

Mema, if you were at Belle Isle before & after the move, we probably have encountered each other! Did you go to Sunday School, Wednesday night classes, etc.? Did you ever attend a dinner theater? At the very least we have mutual friends! What fun!

• SpiritBlessing
    edited April 2015

Morning Ladies,

I was wondering if any of you had any input or thoughts on acupuncture during our time of treatment and se's?  I used to go years ago and it really helped me while I was dealing with sleep deprevation and issues with my knee.  Was thinking about going and I know some clinics really advise it.  I am a bit worried how the energy from the needles would affect any of my current tumor cells and now the cells in my lymph nodes.

Have a blessed Friday...love and blessings...Lucy

• Tobycc
    Tobycc Member Posts: 578
    edited April 2015

Dear Lucy, I am pretty conserrvative when it comes to health care, but have truly embraced acupuncture. If I could afford t go every week I would!

Mine is a 70 year old MD from China: I really trust him. It has helped with energy, immune system, and more. I feel SO much betterr after going! do your research, perhaps find an MD that does it?

Hugs, Kath

More later

• bandwoman1234
    edited April 2015

Hello dear sisters,

I will respond later to posts. I don't think I will be going to my mom's at all this month. I feel the Lord telling me to stay put. My mom called me in a panic while I was in the bathtub soaking with Epsom salt. I called her and she thought I was coming today. I really wanted more time to pray about the whole thing but I just told her outright that I think the Lord wants me to stay put and deal with my back issues. She said she understood but was disappointed. I would appreciate your continued prayers for my back. It is not improving as I had hoped it would. I do plan on being at my mom's for three weeks in May which will be here before you know it.

Today I thank Jesus for making that ultimate sacrifice for us all and rejoice in the fact that He conquered sin and death for us and HE IS RISEN! PTL

Love,

Nancy

• SA8PG
    SA8PG Member Posts: 280
    edited April 2015

Sending prayers of Thanksgiving to everyone. God bless you

G

• magdalene51
    edited April 2015

• SpiritBlessing
    edited April 2015

Morning Sisters of Faith,

Have a blessed weekend and God willing all are able to attend services tomorrow. I wished our church had a good Friday service. Have a blessed time with family and hope to post some pics of our day with our daughter and SIL and GD.

Nancy praying your back is improving and all who have SE's will have an easier weekend. Love and blessings abound.

Daily Devotional

The Collision of God and Sin

The cross of Christ is the revealed truth of God's judgment on sin. Never associate the idea of martyrdom with the Cross of Christ. It was the supreme triumph, and it shook the very foundations of hell. There is nothing in time or eternity more absolutely certain and irrefutable than what Jesus Christ accomplished on the Cross—He made it possible for the entire human race to be brought back into a right-standing relationship with God. He made redemption the foundation of human life; that is, He made a way for every person to have fellowship with God. The Cross was not something that happened to Jesus— He came to die; the Cross was His purpose in coming. He is "the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world" (Revelation 13:8). The incarnation of Christ would have no meaning without the Cross. Beware of separating "God was manifested in the flesh . . ." from ". . . He made Him . . . to be sin for us . . ." (1 Timothy 3:16; 2 Corinthians 5:21). The purpose of the incarnation was redemption. God came in the flesh to take sin away, not to accomplish something for Himself. The Cross is the central event in time and eternity, and the answer to all the problems of both.

The Cross is not the cross of a man, but the Cross of God, and it can never be fully comprehended through human experience. The Cross is God exhibiting His nature. It is the gate through which any and every individual can enter into oneness with God. But it is not a gate we pass right through; it is one where we abide in the life that is found there. The heart of salvation is the Cross of Christ. The reason salvation is so easy to obtain is that it cost God so much. The Cross was the place where God and sinful man merged with a tremendous collision and where the way to life was opened. But all the cost and pain of the collision was absorbed by the heart of God.

Read 1 Peter 2;24

• bandwoman1234
    edited April 2015

Hello dear sisters of faith,

I love all the banners. I have had this thought on my mind for several days and will share. From the disciples and followers of Jesus the cross totally baffled them. I imagine that they thought they had put all their trust in the wrong person. They were looking for a king to save them and the cross was certainly not what they had envisioned. They were crushed. How could He have said all of the things He did and then die right in front of us. I can't even imagine what Peter was feeling after denying Christ three times. It was a dark, dark time for them on that Friday and Saturday. All of their beliefs were shattered and certainly their hopes and dreams as well.

How many times have we been in that same space of questioning God and how could He allow this to happen to us. He promised us this and we got that. Sometimes we even start questioning our belief when the circumstances around us seem so grim. Where is God now? Has He really forgotten me? I had such dreams for my life and look at where I am now. During these times it is inconceivable that God may be planning the biggest turn around in our life and planning the greatest victory for us. This three day period when God really was planning the greatest event in the history of the world many could not see it so therefore they let what they did see overshadow everything. Are we doing the same thing in the events of our life. Are we waiting on Sunday to come in our situation. Can we believe that God is doing something great on our behalf. I pray that those who are in that dark time waiting for God to do something in their lives will take heart because Sunday is coming. PTL He is risen and He defeated sin and death for us. Yes, certainly a lot can happen in three days. I am waiting for my Sunday to come. Are you?

Love you all

Nancy

• zjrosenthal
    edited April 2015

Thank you dear ladies for the devotional, banners and thoughts. Lately I have been reviewing my life and without the cross it would look random and meaningless. I am grateful that God has redeemed and used me in His great plan. I will be 72 the end of the month. That and this cancer journey has me wondering what the next phase of life will look like. All I keep hearing is "trust Me". Love, Jean

• SpiritBlessing
    edited April 2015

Jean I am so impressed with you. I hope I have as much life and spunk when I am 72...shoot. I pray I am blessed to live that long...lol

Ladies I saw this prayer and just had to share...hope you find it inspiring as it was for me.

"Father, God, You know all about the situation I am in right now. You know every little detail about it. You know how much I am struggling, how much I am hurting. I need You, Lord. I need Your help. I can't do this on my own, in my own strength. I am making the decision, at this very moment, to cast my care on You. Right now, I am going to stop being afraid and I am going to stop worrying. You are faithful Lord, and I know that You can do whatever You need to do. You have a plan to work it all out for my good. So however long it takes I am trusting You. You have called me to be a light that shines brightly in a dark world. And although that doesn't mean that I won't have problems, I know that You are a God who gives victory. The battle's already won! In Jesus' name, Amen."