thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872
    edited March 2018

Joshua 1:5 New International Version (NIV)

5 No one will be able to stand against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you.

As I had my four year out mammogram yesterday (still waiting for results) my devotional today had the phrase that the Lord gave me the week I knew something was wrong four years ago before I got my diagnosis. He whispered into my very being.........."I will never leave you or forsake you."

That was His promise then, and I can testify that it is true now four years later and will be true for the next many years later and for all of eternity. It is a very comforting promise.

Love

Nancy

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331
    edited March 2018

Thank you Nancy. For me, it was Isaiah 40:31

But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

I know that My Redeemer liveth!

Chris

• bandwoman1234
    edited March 2018

Chris, that is one of my favorite verses which has gotten me through many a challenge. I hope you are doing well.

Lisa, how are you doing with your treatments?

Lita, how are you doing?

Hershey, what does it feel like to be done with treatments?

Joanne's daughter who had surgery is not doing well. So far the parathyroid glands have not kicked into gear. Please pray for her.

Faith, how is your neck doing?

Char, it was great to hear from you. I will send you a message when I have some time after church today.

Ade, you have been a burden on my heart. How are you doing?

Have a great day as we enter into this Holy time of Easter.

Love,

Nancy

• Lita57
    Lita57 Member Posts: 2,338
    edited March 2018

Rough night last night. Usually day 3 after Gemzar chemo is when the bad cramping and diarrhea kick in. Good thing I was wearing my trusty depends. Had a couple of accidents, needless to say.

L

• intolight
    edited March 2018

Nancy, I am praying for great results from your mammogram. Question; do you still get PET scans or is a mammogram enough for you? My last mammogram is where they found the "shadow" under my arm that led to my dx but nothing was in my breasts so I haven't had a mammo since. There is nothing even showing on the PETs now and I am praising God for that.

Lita, I am sorry to hear of your rough night. Praying for you throughout each day.

I have not felt well this weekend. Bria threw up Friday night while I was watching her so her momma could get a rare night out, and now my stomach is upset, but it is mild. I also woke up this morning with pinkeye...life is never quiet with a toddler! I am hoping this next week will settle back down to my routine. I put a roast in the crockpot, then emptied the dishwasher just now and had to go sit down. Arghh!

• Lita57
    Lita57 Member Posts: 2,338
    edited March 2018

Intolight, take care of yourself. Hope its not that horrible flu.

My back hurts a lot from mets, so i can only do so much for a few minutes, then I have to sit down and recuperate too.

L

• bandwoman1234
    edited March 2018

Lita, I am glad you are able to resume your chemo but the SE's sound rough. Praying you can get through this time.

Chris, praying that you don't get down sick with the stomach flu. Praying you can get over pink eye. Hopefully you are on meds or will be soon. I hope Bria has a short lived stomach upset.

As to your question, I have never had a PET scan. I only get mammograms. I have a fairly low Oncotype score which can predict the risk for cancer in other parts of the body so I am not sure if that is why. I see my bs on Tuesday so if I don't hear anything by then hopefully he will give me the results. Thank you for your prayers.

I have fatigue and back problems so I too have to rest alot. In fact most of my Sundays after church are spent napping for the afternoon. I am still trying to get my thyroid meds adjusted after I had that systemic reaction to a medical procedure in Dec. It really goofed up my thyroid levels. It is a slow process to adjust meds and then a month later be retested. I am feeling much better than I was though. I am so thankful for that.

Have a good night everyone. Spring is only days away. Woooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Love

Nancy

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 706
    edited March 2018

Nancy, I pray that the mammogram is clear and you are A-okay for another one next year.

Chris, praying that your stomach settles down quickly and that your physician prescribes ocular antibiotics straightaway. Having pink eye is the pits.

Lita, I am so sorry to read about your rough night. Praying for a much better evening and night for you.

Joanne, I continue to pray for your daughter. Praying that her parathyroids wake up from their slumber and begin to function on all cylinders.

Faith, I pray that you neck is feeling better. I miss your presence on this forum.

I begin physical therapy this week. I may be experiencing some radiation scarring, so my RO wants me to work on range-of-motion in my shoulder. He told me that he does not think it's lymphedema (I hope he is correct!).

• zjrosenthal
    zjrosenthal Member Posts: 1,541
    edited March 2018

Hi dear ladies. I havent posted much lately but still read most every day and pray for all concerns. I had some serious problems with hair loss after treatment and though it's grown in it was thinner and of a different texture. I hadn't gone for a haircut since before I was diagnosed four years ago. I think I was scared of more hair loss. I finally gave in and went to see someone who specializes in treating cancer patients. She styled my hair beautifully. It's like another step in moving on and I'm very grateful for it. Love, Jean

• zjrosenthal
    edited March 2018

My new haircut. Got my curls back. Love, Jean

• bandwoman1234
    edited March 2018

Hershey, so sorry to hear you are having some after radiation issues. I had shoulder PT during rads because my shoulder was damaged during my ultrasound. Hopefully that will help. You will probably have a series of exercises to do at home and they should help you with more movement.

Jean, love your curls. I have curly hair and my hair is becoming straighter and my hairdresser is not quite sure. I am not sure if my AI is the cause or what but it is strange. Glad this is a step for you in moving on and forward and not looking back.

• intolight
    edited March 2018

Jean, love your curls. I have curls but it only in the back anymore. It is very short so I just wet it down and comb it back. I am trying to let it get some length as I prefer it, but I don't know...

The first picture was 6 months ago...the second one is recent. My hair is still thinning.

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 706
    edited March 2018

Jean, your curls are so flattering.

Chris, I really like your hair color.

You both look great!

• NeverForsaken
    NeverForsaken Member Posts: 157
    edited March 2018

Hi Nancy, I was at my daughter's most of last week helping her recuperate from hiatal hernia surgery..She is doing well, but got off to a rocky start with an allergic reaction to the morphine they gave her right after surgery.

Today is the first I've been on my computer in over a week!

I am sorry to hear Joanne's daughter is not doing well..My prayers are with her.

Also I am praying for intolight and for Lita. Any suffering is too much for anyone to bear alone..we are with you, and though we may not always know exactly what you are feeling..Our Lord knows, and he can and will provide comfort enough to get through it.

I pray you have better days, dear sisters..and moments of peace and humor and love. In Jesus' name~Amen~

I will be consulting with the radiation oncologist for the first time this thursday..I'm a bit nervous as this is new territory for me.

Today marks one month since the last Taxol chemotherapy..I get Herceptin/Perjeta every three weeks still. (indefinitely)

Your prayers would be welcome, and as always, much appreciated.

Winking

Lisa

• bandwoman1234
    edited March 2018

Chris, I like your short hair. I will be getting a hair cut tomorrow and I have mine pretty short because as a swimmer it just makes things so much easier. How is your pink eye doing? That is always an uncomfortable thing. I hope your little grand daughter is better and that you never caught it.

Lisa, I am glad to hear from you. How is your daughter doing? My Dad had that surgery many years ago and it was a pretty horrible procedure then. I think they do things differently now but I am sorry to hear she reacted to the Morphine. I hope she is doing better. I have a small hiatal hernia but it has not required anything at this point.

I didn't realize you had to have rads too. We will certainly be praying for you as you go through treatments.

I got good news on my mammo today and all is well. I will see my MO's PA next month and I want to discuss if I can go off my AI when my 5yrs are up. I have a little less than a year and a half to go yet.

Yes, Joanne, we here in Illinois are wondering what happened to our first day of spring too. I saw a chipmunk out today for the first time in a long time and I was surprised it showed it's face it was so cold. The birds seem to be happy.

A guy from my church and I minister at an assisted living facility as part of our nursing home volunteer program. We minister on the Alzheimer's floor. We sing the old hymns and it is always amazing to see some of the residents that seem unresponsive start singing the words to the hymns they know. Music is a powerful force in worship and the old hymns have such power because of their lyrics that are filled with Biblical truths.

Faith and Ade, I hope you are both doing okay. We miss hearing from you.

Have a good night dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    edited March 2018

Nancy, so happy to read the results of your mammo. Praise the Lord!

I did not get the PinkEye--it was just red for a day. I took a Claritan and it went away.

My mother-in-law was in an Alzheimer's care facility, and when she passed we had a small service there for the residents. When we began singing "Amazing Grace" all of the residents joined in. I was amazed that they did not know anything else, yet they remembered the words of that hymn. I just hope this generation will remember their praise choruses as well (I will get down from my soapbox before I really get on!)

It is Spring in San Diego almost everyday, but 70* today was extra nice. Encourages me to get out...

Blessings to all...

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited March 2018

Good morning dear friends,

Thank you all for thinking of me and for your prayers. My neck is feeling mostly better but in general I just feel blah! I don't know if it's all the 3! BP meds, the AI or the evil in this world trying to steal my joy. There is so much awful news here on BCO and in the world that I find it stupid to complain about myself but I just can't find any enthusiasm for doing much of anything and it all seems overwhelming. I see the NP at the cardiologist office today and will ask what she thinks but I doubt she will have any answers. I also wonder if I'm having another episode of PTSD. I would really appreciate your prayers.

I have been reading and lifting you all up in prayer and rejoicing with those of you with good news. I pray this these last days before Easter brings us all to a new and glorious resurrection with Christ.

Love and prayers,

Faith

• ade
    ade Member Posts: 720
    edited March 2018

Sorry to be out for a while. James and I have both had a slew of migraines lately (thankfully not at the same time).

Nothing at all on his meds. We are beginning to think that perhaps this may be of the Lord for some reason (?) so are waiting upon Him.

When we moved here we had enough money from the sale of our Ohio house to have plenty left over after building a modest small home here. Well we got scammed in a bait & switch deal from a builder - who went to our church (!) and lost over 1/3 of our money meaning we couldn't complete the house. We moved in out of necessity when there were only stud walls, no kitchen, heat or AC, no hot water heater, only a bathtub for water & a toilet. We slept on a mattress on the floor as we couldn't bring furniture in to an uncompleted house. I did dishes in a pan on my knees in the bathtub for 4 months and we heated water & cooked on a hotplate in the bathroom. Oh what a long hot summer THAT was as we worked so hard doing all the work by ourselves! Long story short - we had to put all the "guts" of the house on charge cards to just live there (plus paid $100 a month for 3 years to store most of our belongings). We STILL have very little woodwork in, nothing but subflooring in our bathroom & bedroom, and just lately got some permanent porch steps thanks to the church. We have only been billed taxes on the land because the house was still unfinished, but they assessed our house a week ago (from the outside) so we will now - on top of medical bills for both of us and the huge credit card debt (which we have been diligently paying over $1500 a month on with a small fixed retirement income) and may now have to put back - somehow - $500 or so a month for property taxes. (They are SKY HIGH here). We may have to give up our little home and move away, leaving our church family & son's family, which breaks my heart. If that is God's will for us, then so be it. We are certainly drawing near to our Lord more than ever before and we know we have the victory in Christ no matter what. Thank you all for your banners and scriptures which have really ministered to me.

I am praying for you ALL and send you my love, even if I am not posting...but that's where we are for now.

Blessings,

Ade

• bandwoman1234
    edited March 2018

Faith, praying you can get some help when you go to your NP today. I am glad to hear from you but sure sorry you are feeling bad.

Ade, it is heartbreaking to hear of your plight. God has a plan even in the midst of this turmoil. Hang on to the Lord and He will show you what path to take. I know it has to be so difficult. We are praying for you.

Joanne, thanks for sharing more lyrics. I do hear some of the old hymns coming back in some of the modern Christian music.

Have a good day dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited March 2018

As we enter into the holiest of times for Christians I try to get a deeper understanding of the cross and just what it means to me personally, to everyone who has accepted Jesus as their Savior and Lord and to our world. I know for myself I want to be the woman of God that He intended for me to be. For me that means spending quality time with Him to get to know Him better and to understand what He wants from me. I feel there are many layers to God and as we go deeper we understand the amazing love that He has for each one of us. He knows us better than we know ourselves but what He desires is to commune with us personally so we can get to know Him. I find that our suffering is usually a time of growth. As Jesus was praying before they took Him He did not want to face what was before Him but He said thy will be done. That is a place that we all must visit. It is a place of growing up and maturing in Christ. It is not the easy way but it is the way to peace and joy.

Have a good day dear sisters.

Love,

Nacy

• ade
    edited March 2018

Joanne, yes, the lady who did the inspection said she would send us an application. She didn't - so we will pursue it further. (Thank you!)

Amen, Nancy! I will try a bit later on to share Stanley's recent devotional on similar, which really spoke to my heart. I love the banner.

Have to share this big praise for us - James is having bad side affects from his blood pressure meds (many migraines, can't sleep, cough + more) and it normally takes a good TWO WEEKS minimum to get a VA appointment. He not only has an appointment next Tuesday but ALSO has one for audiology to get hearing aids adjusted! The 2 appointments in the same day is important because the office is over 3 hours drive each way - now it is only 1 trip. THIS for US is God's miracle!

Blessings,

Ade

• californiateri
    californiateri Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2018

Hi - Just wanted to introduce myself.  I'm Teri, and I've been reading the forum for a couple of days now and decided I'd like to participate.  I discovered a lump in my left breast on Dec 2 and saw my gyn on Dec 6th.  He thought it was just a cyst, but had me get a mammogram that same day.  They called me the next day and said I needed to have an ultrasound, which I had on the 13th of Dec, and ended up having the biopsy following it because the radiologist who read it said it looked "icky".  He called me on Friday the 15th and told me the "cyst" was actually a cancerous tumor.  I have to say I wasn't expecting that and felt quite "blind sided" at the time.  The next week we (hubby and I) met with a Kaiser Breast Care Coordinator, who went over the ultrasound and biopsy results with us, and after that I felt much better.  I had a lumpectomy, with 1 Sentinel node removal on Jan 4th.  In February I had 3 weeks (15 treatments) of radiation.  The Lord just given me this feeling of peace and calmness and brought to mind the verses Phil. 4:6-7.  Anytime through the whole ordeal - diagnosis, surgery, treatment and up to today, I would feel anxious I just claimed these verses and the calmness came back.  I guess that could be called his Grace.  I just started on Tamoxifen this past Tuesday and am trying to adjust to it.  I take it at suppertime and it makes me feel kind of spacey and light-headed first thing in the morning when I get up, but usually by about noon I'm feeling better.  The oncologist was going to use AI treatment, but we've discovered that apparently I'm not done with menopause yet, even though I'm turning 65 in Oct and I've been going thru it for almost 16 years!  So, because I'm still producing estrogen, he had to switch to the Tamoxifen for 2-3yrs and then he'll switch me to the AI. 

It's so nice to find a forum that has other Christian women that I can talk to that will be able to understand what I'm going through and feeling. (Not that I'm glad you are going through it too though.)  I went back and started reading the posts that were made back at about the time I was diagnosed and have read them all up to the current ones, and feel like I know some of you now.  After one of my trips to the bathroom last night, I couldn't go back to sleep right away and started to think about the forum, so I prayed for all the names I could remember.   I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.

• intolight
    edited March 2018

Hi Teri. Sorry you have to be here, but I welcome you to our forum. God does give peace in the midst of our storms and I will add you to my prayer list. I also use Kaiser and have been very pleased with my care.

Blessings, Chris

• bandwoman1234
    edited March 2018

Welcome Teri. I am glad you found us but sorry we all have to meet under these circumstances. It sounds like you are through the worst of it and that the Lord has given you peace along the journey. We have all said we don't know how others who don't know the Lord go through this. This is a great bunch of ladies who pray and support each other. I thank you for your prayers for us. Please feel free to jump in any time. Going through menopause for so many years does not sound like fun. I am on an AI and it took me quite a long time to figure out what time of day was best for me to counter the side effects. You may have to experiment a bit to see what works for you on Tamoxifen. I was told that on an AI exercise can really help the side effects. I am not sure if that is true for Tamoxifen but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

Ade, that is wonderful that James can get in to see his doctor much sooner than you have experienced in the past. I would also urge you to pursue what ever you need to get that application for the Homestead Exemption. I am praying for a financial miracle for you and for that breakthrough for James meds as well.

Have a good night dear sisters.

Love

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited March 2018

• zjrosenthal
    edited March 2018

Please pray that the severe side effects from my husbands diabetic medication would subside. Love, Jean

• ade
    edited March 2018

Jean I pray the Lord will take away the bad side effects from you husband's meds and that He will do the same for mine too - or that a better medication may be offered - or that the Lord will heal them so they won't NEED the medications! He is a miracle working God and He gives us His peace.

Blessings,

Ade

• ade
    edited March 2018

We have so many serious concerns here that I in no way want to make light of them.

But I pray this photo I took yesterday of "Old Betty" will bring you a smile as she did to me. (She sure likes her corn!)

Blessings,

Ade

• bandwoman1234
    edited March 2018

Amen Ade regarding Jean's husbands situation. The Scriptures say we have not because we ask not. I think sometimes we are afraid to ask for too much. I have still been feeling bad as my stomach has been so queasy the last couple of days I had to just lay around and take it easy. I really felt like God was saying you have resurrection power within you. Jesus died on that cross for each one of us who have accepted Him as Lord and Savior. I believe He was telling me to walk into my healing just as Peter took that step of faith and walked on the water. I know I want to experience all that God has for me and I think we cut his supply so short in our lives because of unbelief that He will really do those things in our lives that we think are "too big for me". I am tired of the enemy lying to us at every chance he gets to discourage us and to cast doubt on what God has promised for us.

Okay, I need to get off my soapbox and get to bed. Ade, Betty is so cute. I have an Aunt Betty and I will have to tell her that you have a deer of the same name. She will get a kick out of that.

Have a good night dear sisters. Palm Sunday is tomorrow as we enter the most Holy of weeks for we who call ourselves Christians.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited March 2018

Amen Teka. Thanks for post the beautiful banner.

Love,

Nancy