thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872
    edited September 2018

Thanks Joanne for sharing those amazing pics. Joni and Corrie's lives have given so many Christians hope in their circumstances. I heard something on TV recently referencing thanking God in your circumstances. I read the Hiding Place many years ago and I don't remember all of the details but this person talking about Corrie mentioned her thanking God for the bed bugs while in the concentration camp. The guards stayed away apparently and that gave them the freedom to have Bible study.

Hershey, I continue to pray for you as you deal with LE.

Ladies, please pray for our sister Ellen and her family who lives in North Carolina. Hurricane Florence is headed right towards their state. Actually let's pray for all those in the hurricane's path. It sounds like the flooding besides the high winds will be catastrophic.

Love,

Nancy

• zjrosenthal
    zjrosenthal Member Posts: 1,541
    edited September 2018

I have avoided all news on 9/11 today. Our oldest son, who worked for NYC fire department was down in the pit for cleanup for months and his younger brother was on the Pan Am 103 that exploded over Lockerbie, Scotland in a terrorist bombing in 1988. Even as I write this I am remembering the horrors of both. Please pray for my dear friend Carolyn whose mother died yesterday. Love, Jean

BTW, I didn't find my Tamoxifin but the my doctor called in a new scrip and the didn't charge me full price!

• gkbuser
    gkbuser Member Posts: 300
    edited September 2018

We'll pray about all those things. Our God is mighty!

• Blessedteacher37
    Blessedteacher37 Member Posts: 297
    edited September 2018

Good evening ladies,

Thanks, Nancy, for the prayer request for our safety. Yes, I live in NC near the location that Florence is supposed to come ashore. Tomorrow is "Prep" day...getting the outdoor stuff put away, washing all our clothes and freezing as much water as we can to put in the refrigerator, and later, coolers depending on how long we lose power. Cooking all raw meat so it can be frozen and eaten cold when it thaws if necessary. Being a native of this state, I have witnessed many hurricanes and it seems they are getting more catastrophic. Thanks in advance for prayers for my family.My mom is closer to the coast, but further north; I talked with my cousin this afternoon and she will check on her. My son in law is a first responder, so prayers for his safety too. A funny note...we can't have church tomorrow night because Clyde and I are under curfew! Our county issued a dusk to dawn curfew beginning tomorrow....don't think the Sheriff Deputies would take church as a reason to be out...roads to our church are flood prone.

Please pray for my health; not sure what is wrong but I seem to have gastritis or a hiatal hernia. Not able to eat much without extreme pain and nausea. An episode last night kept me restless all night so I missed Bible Study today. Will have to go to my doc eventually but nothing will be open for awhile, and we leave on a trip to AZ in two weeks.

Will check back in when I can....power outages are a certainty and with the last hurricane (Matthew 2016) we can get stranded away from main roads because of flooding. Praying all of you are blessed...having some good days among the tough ones. I feel for those doing treatments during this...no power or air conditioning for comfort.

Joann, your salvation story is like mine...same age, and the same song. Love it when you post those old hymns!

Nancy, praying Cammie will continue being a good girl. Hope your stomach is better .

God bless...Ellen.

• gkbuser
    edited September 2018

• bandwoman1234
    edited September 2018

Ellen, I will be praying for you and Clyde and your son and Mom. I knew your Mom was closer to the coast and I am glad to hear your cousin will be checking on her. I have never lived through a hurricane so it sounds very frightening to me. You prep makes you sound like a experienced survivor. I have been having some GI issues the last few days so I can't imagine you having these issues as your hunker down with this hurricane. I will definitely be praying for you. I know you may not see this until it is over but know you will be covered in prayer.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited September 2018

GK Amen. God is awesome and it is amazing that we can come to Him with ANYTHING!!!

Jean, I am glad you were able to get a new script. God is good. Praying for you and for your friend Carolyn in her loss and yours in the memory of your son. Praying for your other son as well.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited September 2018

• gkbuser
    edited September 2018

So prayer request. My niece is getting married this Saturday. We are heading out Friday after we pick my daughter up from school. My husband and I have been asked to do the opening prayer at the wedding. We are working on what we're going to say now. There will be many in the audience that do not know Jesus so just pray that our prayer would be effective. I ditto feeling so sorry for people that are undergoing active cancer treatment and trying to evacuate from their homes for the hurricane. Sounds like tonight about 8 is when it's all going to hit. Have a great day everyone!

• bandwoman1234
    edited September 2018

Lord, we ask for protection for all of the people in the path of this Hurricane Florence. We asked for Ellen and Clyde and her family that you would protect them, their home and their church as they prep for this storm. We are thankful that the storm has been downgraded but nonetheless it still has the potential of being a catastrophic event. We asked that lives be protected. Lord we know that you could change the course of this hurricane and make it go out to sea. We asked for a miracle as these days unfold. We pray for the hundreds of first responders and the many volunteers and relief organizations that are already on the ground. We are so grateful for so many people that are willing to sacrifice their safety for the safety of others.

Lord, we pray for GK and her DH as they say a prayer at their nieces wedding. We know that there may be people there that would never darken the doors of a church on a Sunday morning but desperately need to hear the good news of salvation that you offer. We pray that you would give them just the right words they should say that would be pleasing and in line with your will.

Amen.

• NeverForsaken
    NeverForsaken Member Posts: 157
    edited September 2018

Praying in agreement for an effective prayer for Ellen and her husband, that the Holy Spirit would bring the message of Christ to unbelievers and hearts will be changed..In Jesus~Amen~

It's been awhile..

I'm staying quite busy.

I went to a book signing for Beverly Lewis in a nearby town. (well, nearby for us means a half hour away,lol)..She seemed really nice. The little Christian bookstore was packed!

I got a signed copy of her latest book 'The First Love'..That was on Monday, today is Thursday and I am already half way through it!

It is staying nice and cool lately so I feel better as the heat always makes me sick.

Now I will go back and read the posts that I've missed..I am doing things backwards today, as I normally read first and comment after,

Blessings and Love~Lisa

• ade
    ade Member Posts: 720
    edited September 2018

AMEN to the prayers above!

Ade

• bandwoman1234
    edited September 2018

Lisa, it is good to hear from you. Hope you are doing well. It sounds like you are.

Let's keep praying for Ellen and Clyde and their family as they are hunkered down in their home in NC. It is going to be a long and hard several days for them and I pray that God would put a hedge of protection around them during this difficult time. The flooding for them is going to be the big concern and power outages. I can't imagine getting much sleep with incessant rain pounding their home for days but I know they were as prepared as one can be in this situation. Praying for the millions in the path of this monster storm and praying against lost lives.

Love,

Nancy

• NeverForsaken
    NeverForsaken Member Posts: 157
    edited September 2018

I think i got some names mixed up..(I said I did things backwards, lol)

~Praying for all who are in the path of these storms~

And praying for Gk and her husband as they speak at the wedding too!

• bandwoman1234
    edited September 2018

• ade
    ade Member Posts: 720
    edited September 2018

PERFECT banner, Nancy!

Praying for those in the storm of the hurricane and the storm of breast cancer, and the storm that's so often just life.

God hears our prayers and sees the tears, and holds us all in the palm of His strong, loving hand from which nothing can snatch us.

Hugs to you all,

Ade

• gkbuser
    edited September 2018

Amen Ade! I don't know how people do it without him.

• gkbuser
    edited September 2018

Thank you everyone for your prayers. The prayer at the wedding went very well. We prayed proverbs 31 over Lauren my niece, and Ephesians 5 over Rick her husband. We also prayed for them to pray to our Lord and savior daily as a couple. We had several people comment how nice the prayer was. Hoping that anyone that doesn't know our Lord and savior heard the words and maybe we planted a seed.

• bandwoman1234
    edited September 2018

GK Glad the wedding prayers went well. Praying that your words touched hearts to effect change in those who needed to hear your words and the scriptures.

Ellen, I am still fervently praying for you and Clyde and your family. This storm is just unbelievable how slowly it is moving and I know the rainfall is mind blowing at this point. I pray that you are safe and that I have continued to pray a hedge of protection around you and your home.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited September 2018

• bandwoman1234
    edited September 2018

Dear ladies, I am going to share a communication I got from Ellen today. I figured they would have no power but was hopeful that she could still use her phone. I don't think she will mind me sharing her message.

"Thank you Nancy, It has been a real mess..keep the prayers coming.We have been without power for over 60 hours and don't have much hope of getting any for at least another day.All 3 kids in the state are safe and our sister in law is ok. We had no church today due to flooded roads and some families having to evacuate. Thanking the Lord for our neighbor and friend Rick who has allowed us to use his electricity and shower, and treated us to a fast food lunch. We have no structural damage despite a rough, windy two days. Praising God for safety and weather 20 degrees cooler than we had recently. Tell the ladies at BCO thanks for their thoughts and prayers too...I can't access anything but email. God bless you my sister...Ellen"

Ellen, you will be in our prayers for sure.

Love,

Nancy

• gkbuser
    edited September 2018

Dear Lord, restore power to Ellen, her family and everyone quickly! Please give those undergoing treatment extra strength! Please keep flooding to a minimum. Thank you for sharing bandwoman.

• vargadoll
    vargadoll Member Posts: 1,942
    edited September 2018

Thankful Ellen and family are safe! It's a mess out there right now. My DH rentals have been evacuated and the river is out of its banks. Schools are either closed tomorrow or on a two hour delay. Thank you all for praying for everyone in harms way!

• bandwoman1234
    edited September 2018

Vargadoll, glad you are safe. I didn't realize you are from NC also. From seeing the weather channel it looks really awful with the flooding and downed trees. Praying that power will be restored very soon to those who have lost power and that clean up and rescue will go well. I pray for all that are now in the path of the storm and pray they will be safe. I know lives have been lost and we pray for those families as they suffer from their loss and the added burden of the cleanup and restoration . We don't understand why these horrific events happen but we do live in a fallen world where the enemy can make his mark. However, we have a God who is still in control and who we can run to in times of trouble. Praying for supernatural strength in the days to come for what will be required to move on from this catastrophic event.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited September 2018

This verse includes cancer, hurricanes, financial burdens, relationship challenges, pain, heartache, disappointments, fear, anxiety.............and you fill in the blank...........................!!!!

I pray that you can feel the love of God today surrounding you in your storms of life whether they be hurricane related or your own personal storms.

Love,

Nancy

• Blessedteacher37
    Blessedteacher37 Member Posts: 297
    edited September 2018

Just wrote a detailed post but lost it because our internet is sketchy. Hallelujah, we have power....finally!

Thankful for our home surviving, being able to have food ( although we lost a lot due to thawing), and helpful neighbors. A young couple across the street came and helped cleanup our yard and fixed our fence which was damaged, without us knowing they were here. They also gave us a bag of ice. Provided Clyde with an opportunity to witness to them.

We presently have an empty fridge and freezer but we can now cook baked potatoes and scramble some eggs until the road opens and the store restocks. Beats PopTarts,Peanut butter , and lukewarm water.

Thank you for your prayers...there is a lot of flooding and closed roads which will make things inconvenient, but God has been good. We are like an island surrounded by a moat at the moment.We had this same type storm less than two years ago so some families have lost homes twice....so very sad. Please pray for them.

God bless you all...Ellen

• gkbuser
    edited September 2018

Ellen, thanks for the update.

Varga, I am so sorry! I forgot you're in North Carolina. Blessings and prayers.

• Lita57
    Lita57 Member Posts: 2,338
    edited September 2018

My two favorite hymns (especially when things get crazy...)

BLESSED ASSURANCE

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!

Oh, what a foretaste of glory divine!

Heir of salvation, purchase of God,

Born of His spirit, washed in His blood

Refrain:

This is my story, this is my song

Praising my Savior all the day long;

This is my story, this is my song,

Praising my Savior all the day long.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Perfect submission, perfect delight

Visions of rapture now burst on my sight.

Angels descending bring from above

Echoes of mercy, whispers of love.

Refrain

Perfect submission, all is at rest;

I in my Savior am happy and blessed.

Watching and waiting, looking above

Filled with His goodness, lost in His love.

Refrain

BE THOU MY VISION

Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart
    Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art
    Thou my best Thought, by day or by night
    Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word
    I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord
    Thou my great Father, I Thy true son
    Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one

Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise
    Thou mine Inheritance, now and always
    Thou and Thou only, first in my heart
    High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art

High King of Heaven, my victory won
    May I reach Heaven's joys, O bright Heav'n's Sun
    Heart of my own heart, whate'er befall

Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all

• bandwoman1234
    edited September 2018

Great to hear from you Ellen. Praise God for restoration of power. You sound like you have some great neighbors. Praying you will be able to get some groceries very soon. I understand Convoy of Hope has set up in Wilmington. I don't know how long it will take to dry out and for the waters to recede but praying it happens as quickly as possible.

Lita, amen to those hymns. I was looking at your pretty butterfly pillow cases I think it was. I love photographing butterflies. I just posted a couple on Picture This forum if you want to check them out. I volunteer with another guy for our church's nursing home ministry. We sing the old hymns with the residents and it is amazing to watch. We minister to the Alzheimer floor and it is amazing to see some of these people that seem trapped in their own world start singing the words to the hymns. Those hymns have some powerful lyrics that really touch the soul.

Have a good evening dear ladies.

Love,

Nancy

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 706
    edited September 2018

Lita, I love the message of Blessed Assurance.

Ellen, I am thankful that you and your husband are safe. Prayers of strength and restoration to everyone in the Carolinas, Virginia, and West Virginia affected by Florence.

I've been singing one of my favorite old hymns, "Crown Him With Many Crowns."

Crown Him with many crowns,
    The lamb upon the throne:
    Hark! How the heav'nly anthem drowns
    All Music but its own!
    Awake, my soul, and sing
    Of Him who died for thee,
    And hail him as thy matchless King
    Through all eternity.
    Crown Him with many crowns
    Crown Him with many crownsCrown Him the Lord of Heav'n:
    One with the Father known.
    One with the Spirit through Him giv'n
    From yonder glorious throne.
    To Thee be endless praise.
    For Thou hast died for me;
    Be Thou, O Lord, through endless days
    Adored and magnified

Adored and magnified

His glories now we sing,
    Who died and rose on high,
    Who died eternal life to bring
    And, lives that death may die.

Songwriters: Michael W. Smith

Crown Him With Many Crowns lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Universal Music Publishing Group, Capitol Christian Music Group