Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331
    edited June 2020

Nancy, I am praying your illness resolves quickly. Thank you also for remembering about my family coming to visit. Yesterday was my 48th anniversary, and we have had 48 great years. It was also the fourth anniversary of the first visit with my oncologist so it is a bittersweet date. I have not been feeling well for the past few days. I just finished a round of antibiotics for UTI so I am hoping it is a residual from that. Either that or my body is not used to NOT being on strong meds as I am taking a medicine break before starting something new. My kids arrive tomorrow and I am having trouble sitting still!

I have been praying for Ade and James all day thinking of their doctor visit, and for Faith's husband's appointment also. I know God will reward their faithfulness.

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872
    edited June 2020

Thank you Chris. I had planned on finishing my mulching today but I knew that would not be smart. I am also very aware that gastro problems for many have been the first signs of Covid 19 so I am laying low today.

I sure hope you feel better when your kids come tomorrow. I have been praying for that for you. I don't know if you saw it or not but I did post a Happy Anniversary banner for you a few days ago. I wasn't sure exactly when it was but knew you had made reference to it. Not many people can say they have had 48 great years of marriage so that is a gift for sure. I just feel certain you are going to have a great time with your family and new family coming in.

Ade, I hope we hear some good news from you and James. I know you will probably be exhausted if this was a 3hr one way trip.

Faith, I hope your DH is home and comfortable now and you being able to have some calm in your life.

I forgot to share that after all the saga of poor Mama robin trying to build her nest on my porch light and then finally laying eggs on the nest on my back porch light only to have something steal the eggs I have a baby robin in one of my bushes. When I have been outside working the pair of robins goes crazy until I am away from that bush. When I peek in I can only see one baby but I can't see very well. It is the same Mama? I would like to think so. I finally got my hummingbird feeder up the other day and I was so thrilled I had hummers at the feeder the very next day. These little things give me some feeling of normalcy when everything else has been interrupted.

Love,

Nancy

• ade
    ade Member Posts: 720
    edited June 2020

THANK YOU ~*~ THANK YOU ~*~ THANK YOU, Ladies for praying! This was the strangest thing. We traveled over 7 hours round trip just to get test results that were inconclusive. These were some kind of genetic blood tests (not even sure what they would have shown) that were all normal except for one positive gene that they aren't sure what it means. COULD link to a disease I have never heard of (according to the written results we got online), but the doctor simply said there is STILL no diagnosis for him. Except for making an exhausting trip just for that, when it seems a video visit COULD have been made - (but they probably can't charge as much for that kind of visit, right?) I am delighted we have NO BAD NEWS! THANK YOU FOR [PRAYING!

EVERYONE in the waiting room wore a mask (including us, because there ARE cases up there)! All of the staff did plus doctor, except for 2 receptionists behind glass.

Still continuing to lift ALL of you up in prayer,

Ade

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited June 2020

Ade, I’m so glad to hear that there was no really bad news but how frustrating for you to take that long drive when it could have been done by telemedicine. Also frustrating to still not have an answer to James problems. We will continue to pray that there’s an answer and solution for him.

Chris, Belated Happy Anniversary! I’m still praying that you can relax and enjoy your family’s visit. I certainly understand your not being able sit still. I get like that too. It will all be good, With God’s Help,I’m sure

Nancy, I’m sorry to hear you’ve had some gastro problems. I also had some issues about two weeks ago and was afraid it was Covid related but I don’t think it was. Maybe there’s a bug going around. One unusual symptom of Covid that my daughter had was a lost of smell and taste. That happens a lot, I understand. There are lots of drive through testing sites around and there is also a site at the hospital that you might be able to go to. I’m not sure if you need a doctors order or not but I imagine you can call to find out the details. It would be good to know if you have it or not, especially if you want to visit your mother and not have to self- quarantine first.

Thank you all for praying for my DH. He had his stent put in and right now is very uncomfortable but hopefully will feel better soon and finally get some sleep. He sure needs it.

Have a good night dear friends, sleep well.

Love and prayers,

Faith (in the future)

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2020

Chris, this post from a few days ago went poof. No wonder you didn't see it.

Congratulations to Chris on 48 years of a wonderful marriage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2020

Ade, SO glad you didn't get disturbing news. I know that is a loooooong drive to get what seems like could have easily been given via video. Did they give you hard copies of these tests. Maybe that was the reason. At any rate I hope you can breath a little easier even though of course I realize you still don't have answers. So frustrating I am sure. I will continue to pray for both of you as I know James is still struggling and I know you are too. You will get through this one step at a time. That is what I keep telling myself.

Faith, I am praying that your DH will be more comfortable today and that he will see the end of this tunnel and of course you as well. I am going to try to go to this new test site that will be opening up soon.
    Chris, I hope you are enjoying your family about now and that you feel SO much better.
    Love,
    Nancy

Isaiah 12:2 New International Version (NIV)

2 Surely God is my salvation;
    I will trust and not be afraid.
    The Lord, the Lord himself, is my strength and my defense[a];
    he has become my salvation."

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 706
    edited June 2020

Ade, I'm so happy that you and James received no bad news from the doctor. What's the adage, no news is good news? I agree that a telehealth visit would have been appropriate, and you are spot on about the higher charges for in-person clinic appointments. My physicians are adding a 5 to 10 dollar PPE fee for clinic appointments. Telehealth visits are not charged the PPE fees.

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2020

Hershey, how are you doing? How is your Mom doing? My sister told me recently this lockdown at my Mom's facility has really caused her to go downhill. I do know that her facility is planning on doing some outdoor activities including their Bible Study. Our state doesn't enter Phase 4 until June 26 and we are all trying to be patient waiting for that to come. Our opening in Illinois has been slower than many other states. I guess time will tell if that was a good or bad decision.

The fee that your doctor's are adding for PPE I have not heard. I know they are really paying a hiked up price to get their needed PPE according to our governor. I didn't think that shortage was still an issue but apparently it is.

I hope you are staying safe and are well.

Love,

Nancy

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 706
    edited June 2020

Nancy, thank you for asking about me and my mom.

My company has work-from-home requirements through July, then everyone reports back in person on August 3rd. I plan to apply for a waiver to continue working remotely based on my age and health status. If the waiver is denied, I will seriously consider resigning the position. The office environment is a perfect storm for the virus: we are not physically distanced, we share common devices, and there is no air circulation from outside.

I am worried for my mom's physical and mental health. Her entire town is closing back down due to numerous virus outbreaks. No one at my mom's assisted living facility has tested positive, but other facilities down the street have had employees contract COVID-19. My brother tells me, "the virus is everywhere."

I have not received my insurance EOBs and am curious to see if the PPE charges will be approved and paid by my insurance company.

Prayers for a safe and relaxing weekend for all.

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2020

Hershey,

I hope your company will allow you to continue to work from home so you won't be forced to resign. This pandemic has been so tough and has so many ripple effects that we may not even see for a while. When it involved lives vs. jobs it is so difficult and I don't envy those in position to have to make those calls for their states. I pray that your Mom will be safe and that one of these days we will both be able to see our Moms. I know that I can visit my Mom without going into the facility so I do have that option. I have some apts I need to take care of first and then will have a probably short visit this time. I would work my visits so that I only had to pay one person to water my flowers later in the summer so I'll have to figure this out. My friend who waters for me has lost her brother in law to the virus recently so I really hate to bother her now. Her sister, the widow, lives in town so I am sure she has been spending time with her to help her get through this loss.

Take care. Enjoy your weekend.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331
    edited June 2020

Getting my hugs from these beauties! One happy Nana.

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2020

Chris, awwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeee. What precious grand kids. Happy Birthday to somebody!!!!Smile

I don't have to say enjoy your time with them because I KNOW you are!!

Love,

Nancy

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited June 2020

Chris, how wonderful to have your beautiful grandchildren there to enjoy. Enjoy this time, they grow up so fast. We really miss having little ones around. Ours are pretty much grown up and with this awful virus we haven’t seen anyone in a long time. So happy you get to enjoy yours for awhile this week.

Love,

Faith

• ade
    edited June 2020

Chris - what a blessing! There was a sign long ago that said, "Lord grant me strength to endure my blessings!". May He BLESS your time with them!

Hershey - praying you can remain working at home and for your mom too.

Our little town continued closure of our college, Sul Ross, since we now have eight virus cases.

This was done several years ago but I came upon it and thought how appropriate it is for today.

Love,

Ade

https://www.ajovy.com/why-ajovy/?utm_id=23530951;1541930;272922448;133213053&utm_source=1541930&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=23530951&dclid=COHg7JH9g-oCFc2LaQodKV0CcA

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited June 2020

Hi Ladies, may I ask for prayer for my dad? We spent this weekend with him. He drove down from the Napa area to visit my husband and me. This is the first time we've seen him since I told him my cancer had progressed to stage IV.

He's very distraught over this and doesn't want to talk about it. I started to tell him over dinner one evening that we were doing OK with everything. He sort of teared up and said, "I'm very proud of you", and then changed the subject. I didn't press it, because I know this is so upsetting to him. He's a physician, but he can't "fix" this.

After I told him about the Stage IV diagnosis, I sent him the page of texts and quotes I have taped next to my computer. I have Philippians 4:6-9 and 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 and a few other quotes on it. He said they helped.

I pray that God will comfort and lift him up and that he can trust God completely with my life. I know he has a walk with God, although he's never been good about talking about his feelings. He left that up to my mom, and when she died a few years ago, it broke his heart. I just want him to experience Nehemiah 8:10 - "The joy of the Lord is my strength".

Blessings to each of you today.

• ade
    edited June 2020

Carol, I have lifted your dad to the Lord in prayer just now. May the Lord be his Rock and sure foundation and grant him the peace that passes all understanding to guard his heart and mind in Christ Jesus. I know this breaks your own heart to see him like this as you bravely told him of your condition and I pray the Lord will just wrap you both in His loving arms of comfort right now. Thank you for posting this.

Your sister in Christ,

Ade

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2020

Carol, I am praying for your Dad as I know it is so difficult to see one of your children facing this kind of challenge no matter what age. My Dad had already passed when I received my cancer diagnosis and my Mom had dementia which as I have realized was a blessing in this instance. My Dad passed away from his prostate cancer spreading to the bones but that was in 2005. If he would be living in this day and age there are so many more treatments now than there were back then for mets to the bone. I am praying that you will hang onto to that fact and I am praying that God will give you many, many more years of life on this earth. I pray that the Lord will comfort your Dad and you and all of your family as you take one day at time trusting that the Lord will grant you the grace and strength to deal with each day and each challenge you will face. How have your radiation treatments been going? I know going through this during a pandemic has got to be even more of a challenge. You seem very strong in your faith and I pray that God will continue to hold you through this time.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited June 2020

Ade and Nancy, thank you for your kind words, encouragement and prayers. I couldn't ask for more. Radiation is complete and I'm now taking Ibrance along with Amidex and monthly infusions of Zometa.

Most of the time I feel fine. Pain is moderate and hasn't really interfered with my life. I am blessed and will continue to thank God for each day.

My husband and I love to laugh, and recently when I was feeling a bit discouraged, he asked me to read one of the texts on my wall. I revised 1 Thessalonians 5:16-17: "Rejoice sometimes, pray when you really need it, and give thanks in the good circumstances". We got a laugh out of that and decided we would stick with the way it was written: Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." It's such a better place to be, right? Not to say we won't cry and we won't hurt, but we know with full assurance that our God is with us and will give us perfect peace.

Love to you,

Carol

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2020

Teka, welcome back from your hiatus from the threads. Thank you for your nice comment. Getting a picture of an eagle is real treat. To get two of them in the frame is really exciting. Thanks for sharing your pic.

I had a Covid 19 test on Tuesday. It was the first day for this newly opened site to open up in the county. Anyone could go get tested without a doctor's referral. Since I was having so many GI issues and really bad headaches I figured I wanted to get cleared of any virus before visiting my Mom. I haven't found out anything yet.

I did find out that they were letting residents at my Mom's facility come out on their patios with a family member and my sister got to do that with my Mom as long as they both had on masks and stayed 6 ft apart. However that was halted by the upper management so now you can visit through the patio door only. I was a little bummed out about that. I have a couple of apts next week but rain is predicted for days and days so obviously if I can only visit on my Mom's patio then it can't be raining.

I had my new AC installed today with this new Air Scrubber I have been excited about. I think it is going to take me some time to get used to the smell as it produces ozone. When Cammie stopped using her litter box a couple of years ago my neighbor put an ozone machine in my house for quite a few days as I was at my Mom's. It ran nonstop and when I got back home the smell of ozone was pretty strong for a very long time so I am very aware of that smell.

I think it takes a few days before it can work at maximum level but I am very anxious to see if it will get rid of pet odors. It gets rid of viruses not only in the air but on surfaces including door knobs and is a disinfectant for Covid 19.

Carol I am glad to hear you are doing fairly well and haven't been in a lot of pain. Laughing is such great medicine so I hope you and hubby can continue to instill some lightheartedness in your situation. Take care.

Have a great weekend dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2020

Stand on the Word. It will be your strength and shield.

Joshua 1:5 New International Version (NIV)

5 No one will be able to stand against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you.

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2020

The Lord is waiting to talk to you. Are you waiting to talk to Him? Why wait?

Have a good weekend dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

Jeremiah 29:13 New International Version (NIV)

13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2020

• ade
    edited June 2020

Hi ladies,

It was 101 here yesterday with 6% humidity. (SOOO glad for working AC!) James and I have been trying to walk a mile 6 days a week with Sundays off. We go just before the sun rises and it's a beautiful time. Had to skip it the last 2 days though as we weren't feeling well one day (gastro & headaches - hmm!) and yesterday the wind really whipped up the dust (looks like heavy fog) and we figured it wouldn't do us any good to be out breathing heavily in that. Hopefully tomorrow we can get back to it.

We now have 8 local virus cases and everybody is back to masks. We are so ready to be done with this stuff, aren't you? I am SO thankful there is no violence here!

I ran out of Curcumin a week ago - I usually take it everyday. I have noticed that my bones really hurt now, especially my spine where I have arthritis. I will have to order more soon. Point being - if you have achy bones this really does work like an anti-inflammatory. I didn't realize how well it was working until now.

James has really suffered with migraines more lately. He is talking to a VA psych doctor once a week regarding depression and the guy just doesn't understand CHRONIC pain. It's just kind of a "think happy thoughts" thing with him! I don't listen in on their virtual sessions, but James is always worse feeling after them. Still, his depression relating to the migraines is a part of his disability claim (STILL waiting!) so he should stick with the sessions at least until that is settled.

Nancy did your VA thing get results yet for your mom? Your new AC scrubber is good?

Below is a recent sunset from the porch. God blesses us with eyes that see color and creates these scenes because He loves us. He is so good!

Praying for all of you with love,

Ade

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2020

Ade, beautiful sunset. This big dust cloud coming from Africa is supposed to hit our area soon and they say it will make for fiery sunsets. Seems like TX always has fiery and beautiful sunsets.

Cammie and I both have had some GI upset the last few days. I had two cortisone shots in my knees on Monday (totally not expecting that) and ended up with a horrible cortisone flare and couldn't walk several hours after the shot. My Covid 19 test was negative but I am still wondering if I had it in March - April and still not fully recovered.

I read in our paper that the Feds have cut funding for testing in Illinois so I really doubt if I will ever know without an antibody test.

My prayers for a long time for James is that the doctors could find something to treat his migraines. It just doesn't sound like that is happening yet. I am sure that is very hard for James to deal with on a regular basis. That would make anyone depressed for sure. I have not heard anything from the VA but I had high hopes that I would hear something about now according to their last request for another form. It sounded like they wanted to get this rapped up in 30 days but that would be now.

I take Tumeric which also has Curcumin listed on the bottle too. It is THE only supplement I have ever been able to tolerate which is a miracle. I started taking it in March. Sometimes I forget to take it and by afternoon I can tell I missed it. It does work well on my knee pain. I hope you can get some more soon as it really does help as you know.

I am ready to go see my Mom IF and WHEN the forecast is better than it is now for the near future. Hot, humid and rain is the order of the day for her area. I have to feel better and so does Cammie before I leave. I am only staying for a very short visit since it will only be able to see her through her patio door and I know that is not going to be very ideal with her hearing loss.

Our family has been struggling with some personal issues which have affected us greatly so this has been a challenging time. I think I am more upset with the racial tension in the world more so than I ever was with the pandemic. Our country needs prayer for sure and all of our leaders as well.

Ade, praying for good VA results for both of us and for James to feel better. I am glad you are walking. I am walking as I feel up to it but it really bothers me why it has been so difficult walking for me. Swimming (which I can't do now) is so much easier for me but I have to walk but it is not the same effect at least so far. I know this too shall pass eventually.

Take care dear sisters. Praying you all have a good upcoming weekend.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2020

Psalm 143:8 New International Version (NIV)

8 Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love,
    for I have put my trust in you.
    Show me the way I should go,
    for to you I entrust my life.

• ade
    edited June 2020

Excellent verse, Nancy! I LOVE the song, "Give Me Jesus". James surprised me with a sign that reads, "In the morning when I rise give me Jesus" and I love that. Your verse reminds me of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFJGsBApIuk

Yesterday morning there was no internet. We tried all the "tricks" that usually start it up again but nothing worked. I had orders to get shipped promptly. I called the provider and they gave me a "ticket" number and said a repairman would be calling "sometime before the end of the day". (Could be the next day - or so...) We pray for whatever the Lord brings to mind and thank Him for our meal at each meal. It was my turn so I asked the Lord if He would restore the internet that I needed to work. Right after we said, "Amen" the internet came on! Without any delay! They called us and said it was on their end and was fixed. Even "little things" are big things and the Lord graciously answered that little prayer. He is so good. I pray He will bring healing, comfort and hope to each of you sisters.

Blessings upon your weekend,

Ade

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2020

Ade, I thought I had responded to your post but either it went poof or I am losing my mind. Probably the latter. The youtube video was beautiful. I love the verse that James made for you. Praise, your internet came on. For most of us it is an annoyance but for your business obviously essential.

Have a wonderful weekend. I can't imagine the heat you all are having. I could take the less humidity!

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2020

Ellen introduced me to this song and now it is one of my most favorite songs. It will touch your heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkRiYsTN7KY

• zjrosenthal
    zjrosenthal Member Posts: 1,541
    edited June 2020
    • Nancy I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who finds the violence more disturbing than the covid.
    • Ade I too have tried to solve issues on my own and as soon as I pray something happens.
  • zjrosenthal
    zjrosenthal Member Posts: 1,541
    edited June 2020

I am slowly learning the lesson that without Jesus I can do NOTHING!

My favorite verse lately is in the 3rd chapter of James I believe it is verse 13 the end of it, mercy triumphs over judgment.