Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Katey
    Katey Member Posts: 496

I have a chic shaper that I never wore!  Remember those!!  Would anybody like it?

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969
    Michelle - I know the TE's are heavy, but be careful about wearing a bra with much of a band now, as the band can exert pressure on the TE's and push them upwards.  This is MOST important if you have short-height TE's, as the pecs need to stay as unstretched as possible until exchange.  You might want to double check with your PS on the matter.  My PS is all about bras AFTER exchange, but said absolutely no bras during TE's - only cami's w/o any kind of shelf bra in them.  I mostly wore the cropped cami's - found some at Target and some at Penney's - that were very soft.  I did buy one bra - to wear with white blouses - that I got at Soma - their "spa bra" that's a soft sports bra.     Hang in there with those TE's.......they're doing their job......a painful job, but necessary......Undecided
  • jkz
    jkz Member Posts: 158

I never wore any bra with my te's. My PS said it wasn't necessary.. I just wore camis with the built in bra.  Now I am 2 weeks out of exchange surgery and I do wear one 95% of the time..

• waldo
    waldo Member Posts: 145

I have been MIA- glad to see Jerusha!  Hi to Everyone! I am not making excuses but I started a new full time job and with 1.5 hrs commute each day, there is little time to come here to visit.

I am still wearing my grandma wacoal wireless to bed every night and an underwire every day. I love my Bendon Max whatever sports bra which is really supportive and still sexy. I also have a Donna Karan sports bra and I agree, Val the wires are high and it is not sexy but does hold the foobs nicely in place.  

When I told my PS I am in a bra 24/7- he said "good".  Though there was never any discussion about me needing to wear one 24/7.  He said I can start running and doing bouncy stuff after 3 months post exchange, but I had to negotiate hard for that and he wasn't thrilled to tell me to do it but he doesn't want me living in a vacuum to protect his artistry (well maybe he does).  I really feel a lot of PS are afraid of the wire causing damage and pushing the implants laterally b/c so many women wear the wrong size bra. 

• val61

I was wondering where you'd been, Waldo!  Congrats on the job!  And you may have something about PS's and wearing the wrong size bra......  Glad your sports bras are working for you, too.

• Anna_M
    Anna_M Member Posts: 88

Val, I love your new picture! 

• Estepp
    Estepp Member Posts: 2,966

yes Val... GREAT to see your face... closer up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I can pick you out of a crowd in VEGAS Babe!

• Kate33
    Kate33 Member Posts: 1,936

Val- Cute pic!!!!

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

I agree - adorable pic Val!  You have the warmest smile.

• vanderlady
    vanderlady Member Posts: 122

I'm so excited.... thanks to you all, I went and bought an underwire bra (with straps) today.  I love the fit of the Maidenform One Fab Fit bra, style #07909.  I also tried on a Wacoal for the first time and it fit just like the Maidenform so I ended up getting 2 of the Maidenform for now.  Couldn't wait to get home and put it on.  So far so good.... definitely helps to eliminate the pain b/c I'm finally getting good support (not to mention the projection - yay!).  Pam

• val61

Go Pam!!!

Gosh, ladies.....thanks for the comments on the pic.....y'all are sweet.....I was looking through some pics from this summer and found one of me and my older son, so had to crop him out....poor guy....I'm sure he appreciates not being on "Breastbook." though!  (that's his name for us, btw....)

• Estepp

Pam..I agree with you on those two bras fitting alike....

• val61

and the Maidenform is WAY cheaper, too.....

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780
    Tomorrow is the day I get to go to Nordstroms!  I'm so excited!  Laughing  I'll tell you all what size I've ended up and what the fitter recommends.  Stupid question, do you have to make an appointment or can you just show up?  I should have asked earlier, because it's too late now to make an appointment, I think.  I was just wondering.  Thanks ladies!  Did i say I'm excited?!!! 
  • Giselle7
    Giselle7 Member Posts: 70
    Dawne -Hope - I just walked into to Nordstroms the first time and had bad luck. I then decided to call ahead for an appointment and everything went well. I came in with print outs of bras that the sisters here on the site had suggested and ones that I thought would work for me. Good luck. Can't wait to hear how it went and what you purchased. And remember to stop by the SHOES! Wink
  • jkz
    jkz Member Posts: 158

I just walked in also.  The funny thing was they only measured me once around and then did a guess on the cup size.. Is this the way they always do it?? I been buying from Ebay.. The same bras that cost 60% the price. I will buy a few from Nordstroms during their semi-annual sale in November..

• Estel

Giselle7 - I was disappointed.  So disappointed in fact, that I didn't stop by the shoes.  :(  I will do what you did next time.  Fortunately I remembered a few from what she brought in ... a Donna Karan exercise bra and a natori ... those are names I recognized.  The Natori felt really good on.  My PS wants me to not where an underwire for three months.  And that Natori was sooo comfortable.  Next time, though, I'm going to be more prepared. 

jkz - They did the same to me, and I just felt like the girl was a novice ... wasn't what I expected after what I'd heard about other's experiences.  Disappointed.  There is a masectomy bra shop near my PS's office that I found today.  Unfortunately i didn't have time to go there but I will next time.

• Giselle7

Dawne-Hope - When you call Nordsroms, make sure they have someone who is trained in helping MX clients. Also, there is a cancer store near my home and I have had great success with it. "A Woman's Place", that's the name, had most of the bras I was interested in and ordered the ones I wanted to try. The store is "in network" with my insurance and was able to submit all the paperwork for me. Another plus! I also have the wireless Natori bra.

• Estepp

NOVEMBER sale..... YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Kate33

Dawne-Hope- When I called my Nordstrom's they said to make an appointment.  They said not everyone is specially trained to assist post mastectomy clients.  I made my appointment and within 15 minutes someone called me back to get additional information.  I have my appointment for tomorrow but am running into some snags with insurance stuff.  So am now wondering how everyone handled the insurance end of it.  Nordstrom's told me that my doctor (either BS or PS) had to give me a prescription for the bras which they could fax directly to Nordstrom's.  After I purchase my bras I take the prescription, receipt and insurance claim form and mail it in.  I called my insurance company twice and no one seemed to be able to tell me what the insurance code was for the bras.  My PS's assistant said (via email) that bras are never covered so she never faxed the prescription.  I just wrote her back and said yes they are and to please fax it before my appointment tomorrow or I will have to reschedule.  So just wondering how everyone else handled this.  Does anyone know the code for billing?  Nordstrom's said they can bill some insurance companies directly but mine wasn't one of them.  (I have United Healthcare.)  Any help would be appreciated!

• Giselle7

Kate - I also have United Health Care as my insurance carrier.  It is still very early hear in Chicago and my BC file is in the bedroom with my sleeping hubby. I will PM you the info I have later.

Have you logged onto the website to get info about what your plan covers? The woman who fitted me after my bilaterel was kind enough to give me the codes. (This was at the cancer shop in my city.) I then called United to speak with someone there. He was very helpful and explained what my plan allowed in a calendar year. You will be MUCH more successfull  getting monitary help from UHC if the store is in its network. Otherwise there is not much conpensation. 

• Lilah

Kate -- I have Oxford (which is now owned by United).  Ask them to mail you a form for claims.  I'm not sure you need the code but you can certainly call United and ask them to tell you what it is.  I bought a very expensive wig when I was going through chemo... had prescription, a receipt and then the form (which Oxford mailed to me)... I filled out the form and submitted it with the receipt and the prescription and received reimbursement for all but 10% of the cost (which is how my insurance works, I pay 10%).  I imagine it would work the same way with the bras. 

Also -- if your PS's office can't help, try your BS's office :)

• vmudrow
    vmudrow Member Posts: 415

Just got back from the PS - he said after exchange it is important to wear a bra - even to sleep in, because for some reason the implants want to move and this will help keep them in place.  He said under wire or not, just so long as it is supportive.  So I will be reading up on all these posts and looking for bras in the near future - exchange date October 8th.

• val61

Valerie - sounds like your PS is a bra guy, like mine!  We have lots of info to help you when you're ready.  And don't worry, the sleeping in the bra part becomes old-hat after awhile.  I can't imagine sleeping any other way now.Smile

Dawne-Hope - I'm sorry to hear you didn't have a good experience at Nordstrom.  I expect it's just like every retail establishment - there are helpful associates and ones that are just there to draw a paycheck.  Maybe next time will be better.

Giselle - I'm taking my baby to start his freshman year in college in Chicago this weekend.....Cry  

• Giselle7

val61 - We successfully transplanted our daughter into her apt. last weekend. She's in the West Loop of Chicago. by Greek Town. Started law school on Monday! She took a year off after graduating college and was my savior through this whole BC process. I will miss her even though she is only 40 some minutes away. I am very lucky in many ways.

Which school is your son/daughter attending?

• Kate33

Back today from my Nordstrom's bra fitting.  Had a wonderful salesperson and the whole experience was great from beginning to end.  The shocker of the day was I am a 32D!!!!!!!

Anyway, went for two bras, came home with four, so the bra obsession begins.  I got two Natori Understated, a DKNY Comfort Extreme ($27!) and a DKNY Sensual Comfort ($30!).  I have never worn an underwire in my life because I always thought they were so uncomfortable but I wore my Natori out of the store and have had it on all day and I love it!  Thanks for all the tips, ladies, and for recommending Nordstrom's!   

• Estel
    Kate33 - I'm so glad that you had a wonderful experience!  I'm a 32D too!  :))  So happy for you!  Sealed
  • Lilah

Wow Kate that is awesome!   I will check out that comfort extreme -- sounds lovely!  (When I'm allowed to wear wired again).

• Lilah

Giselle -- love that expression "transplanted' your daughter -- LOL!  Hope she has a great experience at law school.

• tamgam
    tamgam Member Posts: 83

Good morining, ladies.  Just thought I would mention that I FINALLY got myself a great bra.  I am 4 weeks out of exchange and have used less expensive brands.  My PS doesn't care much about the bras but I find it much more comfy to wear it (just like you all advised!).

I found lots of Natoris at TJMaxx for $20!  I was tickled pink! LOL  They also had some nice DKNY and other brands for great prices.  I ended up in a 34D and may even go back to try on a DD to see if I get a little better coverage.  This is getting fun! Have a wonderful day, the sun is shining so beautifully in New England today.  Enjoy.