Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Jayne_in_UK
    Jayne_in_UK Member Posts: 9

I'm another one who has found this thread very useful already and I'm still in the bra my surgeon put me in after my exchange last week.

I'm looking forward to shopping for some new bras and as Michele said it is useful to know what factors to consider.

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Thanks, ladies!  We're all in this together......that's why we're here, right?

• my560sel
    my560sel Member Posts: 399

(((((((((((VAL))))))))))))), many thanks for this site and for all you do.

Terri

• val61

Thanks, Terri!   Hope Lilah's bra suggestions will work for you.  Deborah and I will try to find some more suggestions, too.  I know that some sports bras (like the DKNY and Natori) have padded wires, and they're not so "sportsy" that they wouldn't work with real clothes - though they are cut a bit high.  Can you remind me of your size?  PM if you want.....

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Mrs. Bee:  You know, I looked at your "help" thread and it appears to me you had a number of responses.  I see Annie helped you out twice and in her first post, recommended that you contact me for help. Why didn't you take the advise she offered and contact me?  It appears that your questions were answered on your thread, and this is perhaps why others did not feel it necessary to add to what others had already done so well. 

You posted on your own thread that you actually came here to Bras 101, to look at the thread, but did not find any bra sizes which would work for you.  If you had posted a comment, request, or question here, a bevy of women would have responded in an effort to help you.  In defense of this thread and the reconstruction forums in general, you just would not believe how many women have stayed long beyond the conclusion of their own reconstruction journeys in order to help others who might come along after them.  This is a wonderful site and fabulous thread and there are many wonderful, giving, selfless women who spend time here. I am sorry you did not find a fit here.

Incidentally, here are some bras which go up to and beyond a 46 band size:

http://www.biggerbras.com/catalog/bras-lingerie-swimwear.cfm?ssbrand=&sssize=334&sstype=&sscolor=&stock=1&price=

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

I bought one!  I'm a little embarrased to post what I got, because the ones you all mentioned ... not available here.  I'm in a pretty rural area and will head to the city again to see my PS on the 17th.  But I HAD to get something because I was really hurting.  None of my old bras worked.  I bought a Wacoal 32D.  A 32D!  I couldn't believe it!  Again, I wasn't professionally fitted, because we don't have any here!  :)  (Yes, I live in the sticks!)   I just kept trying on bras 'til I found one that was comfortable.  It's amazing the difference!  I feel soooo much better!  No pain.  Thanks, ladies!  We'll see what the Nordstrom professionals recommend on the 17th! 

• Giselle7
    Giselle7 Member Posts: 70

Dawne-Hope - It is so nice to wear new bras that fit. I went out today with my 23 year old daughter and we had a blast. We laughed the whole time as I was as flat chested as you could get before BC. My second chid took all the breast I had left after a year of breast feeding him. I am now a 34C and feel great about it! Which Wacoal bra did you buy?

• Estel

I'm not sure what kind.  No lace, no padding, underwire, super soft.  It's weird, I'm about12 days out from my exchange and I think they're getting bigger!  Maybe this is the drop and fluff I've so heard so much about!  ;)

• Estepp
    Estepp Member Posts: 2,966

Mrs. Bee,

it is too bad you did not PM Deborah as Annie asked you to and suggested you do. If you had taken this HELP, you might be in a different place right now. I am sorry you did not accept the help from your thread. :(.... but, keep your head high... things can look up. Please consider taking the help you so desperately need and ask for, when it is offered. :)

• Estepp

Ladies.. thank you for your support of our son. We had three Mri's of the brain today. The also are running the blood tests for Lyme, west Nile, encephalitis ...etc... We should know more soon ...

Thank you again! XXXOOO

• val61

Dawne-Hope - to use Estepps's phrase.....WOOHOOOO for you!  I am SO happy that you found something that is comfy and supportive.  At 32 D you're essentially my size (I'm 30DD, so same cup size), so those implants need to be supported!  And yes, they will get a bit fuller over the next several weeks as the skin stretches to accommodate them and they settle into their pockets.  You will love going to Nordstrom's when you have a chance, but it sounds like you found a place that has decent bras, so that's a big deal! And the no padding is excellent - exactly what you need right now to get the best support.  If your PS allows underwires, though, I'd really consider it; they're even more effective for support in these early months.

(btw....I'm an Illinois State grad....Smile)

• Estel

Estepp - MRI's of the brain?  I thought he was having heart troubles?  How did all his heart tests come out?  Still praying for you all!

• Estel

val 61 - Thank you!!!  He told me no under wires ... but that was after my surgery.  I saw his PA last week and forgot to ask about bras.  I hear you and I do trust you re the underwires.  The one I bought does have an underwire.  I couldn't find any that size that didn't have them.  Thanks for all your work for putting this thread together.  It is so important, but no one tells us this stuff.  Thanks again!

BTW ... I worked at ISU a couple of years out of college!  :)  Pretty good people come from there!  :))

• jkz
    jkz Member Posts: 158

Estepp, I have been keeping your family in my prayers. Keep the updates coming.

Deborah, I just love the bra thread. I have searched many of the styles mentioned in the thread on Ebay and have many of them. As soon as I find out my actual size I will have something new to shop for. I had my exchange today so how long will I have to wait before I get a professional fitting done. Of course I will be going to Nordstoms.. So nice and close to my house :)

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Dawne-Hope -- Wacoal are excellent bras!  I love them!  I actually did find one I love that is wire free (I posted the details pages ago).  So glad you are happy with your choice.

Laura -- hang in there... I hope they figure out the mystery soon.  Mysteries of this type are just not fun at all.  So glad that they are being aggressive in the search!  Prayers continue...

I just want to say to all of you how wonderful you are -- how much sharing all of this has meant to me :)  I wish for all who come here that they make the effort we have made and reap the rewards we have reaped. 

• jkz

Val and Deborah I just read all 18 pages includinh the header. What great information. Than you both so much.

I just had my exchange yesterday and feel GREAT. No pain at all. I am taking meds for this... :) If I don't have to have pain I won't. This is why my PS prescribed some good meds!

Anyway! I have an appt with his this morning with my PS and plan to head to Nordstroms for sizing. Look out bras here I come...

Jennifer

• jkz

Val and Deborah I just read all 18 pages including the header. What great information. Than you both so much.

I just had my exchange yesterday and feel GREAT. No pain at all. I am taking meds for this... :) If I don't have to have pain I won't. This is why my PS prescribed some good meds!

Anyway! I have an appt with his this morning with my PS and plan to head to Nordstroms for sizing. Look out bras here I come...

Jennifer

• MicheleS
    MicheleS Member Posts: 196

Dawn-Hope brings up an important point for those of us without a Nordie: So....for future reference: where (or how) can you find a non-Nordie professional fitter?  I wouldn't know how to start looking and I don't want to freak anyone out at VS with my scarred and nippleless barbie-breasts! 

Hope everyone has a great day!

• Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490

There are specialty stores around. Call the American Breast Cancer Society for information. My PT gave me a list of places. One in CT called Essentials for the Special Woman helped me with bras and wigs.

• vmudrow
    vmudrow Member Posts: 415

So my PS said there are 3 exercises that he doesn't ever want to see me do.  They are push ups, bench presses and flies.  He says some ladies ignore his advice and are fine - others their implants end up under their arm pits, he says it isn't worth the risk.  All other exercises/arm exercises are fine.  Hope this helps.

• Kate33
    Kate33 Member Posts: 1,936

I wanted to add my thanks, too, for all the women on here who give of their time and energy to give us all this valuable information.  I, personally, wouldn't even know where to start to find bras that work so your guidance is very much appreciated.  I love this site, and this thread, for its "pay it forward" philosophy.  I think you're all amazing women!!!

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Yeah Kate!  And a SPECIAL thanks to Val and Deborah for all that they do for all of us.

• my560sel
    my560sel Member Posts: 399

Hi Val, I "think" I'm a 36 D or maybe even DD. Part of the problem is that when I put a bra on it naturally pushes my breasts closer towards the center and that doesn't leave much room for the wires. That's where the pain is. I think the center wires are pressing against my boobs and also since there isn't much flesh there, it also presses against my chest. I really need to get to a Nordstrom's and am hoping to do so in Vegas. I don't think I'll be traveling to the US before that. We have lingerie/bra shops in my area but I don't think they have professional fitters.

Terri

• Kate33
    Kate33 Member Posts: 1,936

Thanks need to go to you, too, Lilah!  I have seen all the support you give on here and other threads as well!

• Katey
    Katey Member Posts: 496

Giselle, I'm a no underwire gal also, had a lot of discomfort after exchange at imf from interior stitches,  could only wear the surgical bra for a few weeks, did they give you 1?  Or hopefully 2?  As swelling went down it became too large and I did find the Element of Bliss Warner bra comfy, it has a nice soft band.  Even able to use as a nighttime bra.  Thanks to the recommendations from Val and Kristinka for that one!  For others that would like no underwire, I've found that the VS Angel, VS Ipex and Calvin Klein wireless have all worked well since healing.  Plus the padding in each VS help hide any uneveness and new fips!  I'm a 36c so cannot help with the larger sizes, but sounds like some good recommendations here!  Thank you Everyone:)

• val61

Terri - I think I understand your issues....I'll work on it....

Thanks, all of you, for being the wonderful women that you are!  BC may have brought us together, but it's more than that that's keeping us all here!

• Giselle7

Katey - I came home with a light compression surgical bra and I wore it until the drains came out. (5 days) Since then, I have been wearing a Soma light compression sport type bra. It has a wide band and that makes it more comfortable at the incision sights under and to the side of my breasts. I place some extra gauze there at night to get as much relief as possible. I will check out the Warner you suggested. Today I wore my new bra from Natori, the reflex wireless soft cup. It was so comfortable and I am very happy with it. It looks very sexy too! A big plus at this time in my life.

And yes, thanks to everyone who is posting bra suggestions Smile

• Estepp

TAYLORS brain is OK.... THANK YOU GOD!

His Parathyroid is low and calcium high and magnesium high... more blood tests in the AM... but it SURE sounds like he has Hyperparathyroids Disease. If this is what is going on.... a simple surgery can cure it! PLEASE let this be it Father!

Ladies... this is an amazing site. Amazing message boards.... but it is YOU !!! All of US that make up our boards!!! WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO we are all just so stinkin' wonderful... !!! Yes we are !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you all who prayed for my son and family! I know he is not out of the woods.. but I am just so happy his heart and brain are OK. ((((HUGS))))

• Hope4future
    Hope4future Member Posts: 68

Estepp - doing a happy dance for you!  Great news! 

• Giselle7

Estepp - I am so relieved for you! Bless you and your family.