Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Kristinka - Which Anita bra is it?

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Kristinka -  when you say one size smaller, do you mean band, cup, or both? 

• Kristinka
    Kristinka Member Posts: 223

Val and Deborah - this is what I sleep in:

Anita post MX sports bra style 5300x

I wear a 34C in this and normally a 34D with other bras.  I think the saleslady told me they run a little large in the cups.

It's not a sleep bra, so maybe there is something more comfortable, but I feel "safe" in this. (i.e. no nightmares about foobs escaping to the left or right!)

• Katey
    Katey Member Posts: 496

Val and Deborah I'm going to eat my words!  My previous implants had risen up and I was told not to wear underwire years ago, so I haven't in fear of that happening again.  My new ps seems to have taken care of that problem, so far so good and when I asked about underwire he said it shouldn't cause a problem. 

Yesterday I realized the VS Ipex bra was not giving me any support, felt too big, it's a pre mx bra (I know...) that has been squeezed over te's and hid fips, but they weren't fitting right anymore, so I went off to our local L&T today, and surprisingly there was a fitter.  I am no longer a 36C, have lost over an inch in circumference (w/o weight loss) since I measured during te's and now am a 34D! (Wait till my dh hears!) So since reading this thread I've been worried about lateral movement and decided to try on the wires!  With help I found some wacoals that I like, 8853112 (very pretty), 85185 good for everyday, 85364 has a little padding.  The Natori was not comfortable for me. 

Let me know if any of these is a big no!  I thought the fitter was good, but at end she asked me what size I was before implants, I said I thought a 36c, we both looked confused, she thought I had an augmentation!! Of course she only saw me in my bra, tho how nice is that!  It was a good day!  THANK YOU!!!

• vanderlady
    vanderlady Member Posts: 122

okay... so what's the deal with underwire versus no underwire?  Why do the PS recommend underwire and/or why do they say absolutely not????  I just don't get it. 

• val61

vanderlady - excellent question.....just wish we had an answer for you!  If you read my rather long epistle that started this thread, it may shed some light on it.  Long story short, just as in other areas of their recon practice - short height TE vs. full height TE, overexpand or not, drains or not -  PS's just do things differently.  Some of us have very strong opinions one way or another, but it's ultimately between you and your PS to decide what's best for you.  And if your PS has NO opinion on the matter, then we'll be more than happy to give you LOTS of advice!

• val61

Katey - Welcome to the D Club!  And underwires, to boot - wonderful!  I couldn't find the first bra, but did check the others.  The second one looks like a great everyday bra, and the fancy one nice for dressing up.  Remind me how far you are out from exchange?  You just need to be careful of much padding in the first few months since it does inhibit the wires from getting right up next to the implants and providing the support they need.

Kristinka - So, in that Anita bra would I do the 32C?  However, I really think I'm going to wait on buying anymore bras online......I know, y'all are falling over in your chairs right now.....but there's a reason:  after I get my DS off to college, I think I'll make the trek to the relatively nearby "My Intimacy" bra boutique!  I'm already planning my pilgrimage.....

• Katey

Val, my exchange was in February, was a long recovery, think I've finally shrunk to the final size.  I'm wearing the everyday one now, feel like I'm in a corset!  I guess for an underwire it's comfortable, it's just been many years since I've been so strapped in!  The wires next to this one in particular are not right next to implant, more a little back, I asked the questionable fitter about that and she thought it was perfect!?

• whippetmom

Kristen...that Anita 5300 looks comfortable and in fact, I have it on my saved searches list on Ebay.  I have so many bras I want, I have to purchase them as inexpensively as possible.  I am about to pay full price for that Anita Daytona bra though....

Here is the bra Kristen mentioned:

http://www.herroom.com/Anita-5300-Vivana-Active-Sports-Bra.shtml

• Kristinka

Deborah - yup, there it is in all of its unsexy glory!  That's me, every night.

• Kristinka

Val, I bet you'd be a 32 D in this bra - maybe you could try a couple of sizes?

Katie, glad you found some Wacoals that you like.  I have two, but I must admit I'm not in love with them.  I always run back to my Freya and Natori.  Cool that the lady thought you had an augmentation!  I also went from a 36 to a 34 without weight loss.  Strange, huh?

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339

Talk about unsexy glory...Anyone looking for a bra to sleep in should check out the Marena sleep bra. It is really comfy -- way more than a regular bra because the straps and back are not usual "daytime bra" style. It hooks in front so the back is completely smooth. The straps are about 2+1/2 inches wide - flat and smooth. It has good lateral support; feels very secure -- no flopping around at all!  Also good separation at sternum. And it dries in a flash. Marena is the brand that many of us were given post MX. They have a website, but are incredibly helpful and nice on the phone. Twice they overnighted shipments to me at no cost. Ordered at 6 pm and got them the next day. The second batch of bras that I ordered was to replace some from the first batch that were the wrong size, and they did not even charge me although I had not yet returned the first ones. They also sent me a statement to submit to insurance. For 2 months after my exchange I was not comfortable in anything but their post surgery bras -- supportive and compressive but not smooshing. Now, after my trip to Nordstroms and an embarrassing number of try and returns from the on-line sites I have several really pretty underwire bras -- Freya, Wacoal, Chantelle, Natori, Lunaire. But after a few hours they itch and rub and the only thing I can stand are my good old Marenas! I can also tolerate (barely) the enormously frumpy soft cup Wacoal awareness. The best after my surgical bras is a very plain looking wireless Donna Karan. Well, I had many years, pre-MXS of wearing pretty, sexy underwire bras. Now I am, sadly -- though I keep trying-- all about comfort.

• Giselle7
    Giselle7 Member Posts: 70

Jerusha - Everybody's sexy if different so you could look at the Classique style bras and see if you like something there. Classique was just one type of bra suggested to me by a boutique owner in my town that specializes in "everything breast cancer". (Bras, swimwear, wigs etc.) The owner lost a breast herself due to breast cancer. Since then she has opened up this small store in my area. I have never been fitted like that before. She has seen everything and has many suggestions for all kinds of issues that may come along with the disease. I hadn't heard of half of the designers she brought out for me to try on. Good luck!

I JUST WIsH SOME OF THESE BRAS CAME IN FUCHSIA! 

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Jerusha - how nice to hear from you!  How are you doing???

• Katey

Jerusha, that sleep bra is quite a garment!!  I think we have to invite some of the women over from the crafty threads to give us ideas how to spice up some of these comfy bras!  Add some lace trim, fabric paint, bedazzling?

• Kristinka

OK, I found the bra for all of us at Marena, and in it those foobs won't go anywhere (plus if we wear it to bed and we won't have to fend of any night time advances)!!!   

Molded Cup Bra with built-in Implant Stabilizer

http://marenagroup.com/garmentstore/product/tabid/199/p-136-molded-cup-bra-with-built-in-implant-stabilizer.aspx

Some of the Marena bras do look comfy, but I found this one to be especially impressive!  Oh, our strange new lives.

• Lilah

I think the caption for that model (who is wearing it) is: "Oh my god I can't believe they are making me wear this!"

• tory
    tory Member Posts: 85

No kidding about not having to fend off any advances! That is one unattractive bra.

• Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490

The model is beautiful

too bad the bra looks like armor lol

• whippetmom

For those of you posting links, make sure you put your cursor at the end of the link and then return or hit enter, so that the link is highlighted.  Enables us to link directly without having to cut and paste....

• Giselle7
    Giselle7 Member Posts: 70

Talk about locked and loaded! The bra makes it seem as though her breasts are alive and wanting to escape!

• Kate33
    Kate33 Member Posts: 1,936

I think it's funny it's style # is the B15 which is what they called those heavy duty bomber jackets from the 1940's!  

• val61

Katey - good fitter - you don't want the wires to touch the implant - that way they won't exert any pressure (even the slightest bit) to push the implants laterally. 

Deborah - first the circus....which incidently came to town today.......and now Nascar?

Giselle and Jershua - You definitely need to decorate up one of those bras and take a pic for us....might inspire all sorts of grand ideas......     (if you want colorful, check out the Freya bras....some of them are downright CRAZY)

Regarding comfort - don't be too quick to give up on a bra just because it's not comfortable at first.  Many of them - I think underwires in particular - need to be given some time.  It also helps to wash them - by hand, of course, with good quality lingerie wash - before wearing them.  Often it takes a few washings to soften up any lace around the edges.  I found this to be the case with most of my Freyas and my Chantelles.  Having had to wear the crazy things for 24/7 for so long, I  can honestly tell you that it probably took me nearly a month to begin to feel comfortable in the Freya bras that my PS chose, and now they are my everyday favorites.  Give 'em a chance....

• vanderlady
    vanderlady Member Posts: 122

Val - Well, I happened to have an strapless underwire bra I bought during my TE phase that I only wore a couple of times. Interesetingly enough, it was very, very comfortable to wear and I made sure it fit properly around the implant. Not only that, I had been having pain and discomfort for several days prior.... but it subsided after wearing the bra. So, I may experiment with this a little more. I found a soft cup Maidenform bra that I like and I have been combing the stores looking for a different size.....but the only bras on the racks were underwire in the same style.... so I might have to buy one and check it out. 

I've definitely felt that I've needed more support right from the exchange date.  Reported that to my PS to no avail. Heck, I went home from the hospital in a cami, no bra!  Bras never come in to the discussion, only stating that I may feel more comfortable wearing a sports type bra initially after I complained of needing support. Never "ever" wear an underwire.... no need to wear a bra.  Go figure!  I just don't think my PS listens to his patients, really. 

I'll keep you posted.  Thanks for your help! 

• Katey

Thanks Val, I am getting used to the new bras and it makes sense how they fit!  One of these days I'll have to travel to Nordstoms and try on Freyas.  Fall is coming, and the need for some new clothes might be arriving soon!!

• val61

Great news, vanderlady!  It is crazy, isn't it, that so many PS's don't advocate bras from the get-go?  You'd think they'd be all about maintaining their artistry......   I'm very lucky that mine is so pro-bra....though I'll be the fist to tell you I didn't think that the first week I was in my PS-approved ultra-tight bra!

Katey - fall definitely means shopping......all those back-to-school new clothes memories........andyou need new bras to go with the clothes, right?

• Gabrielledr
    Gabrielledr Member Posts: 3

just had surgery 29 July 2010... reconstruction with expander... I'm so excited... purchase a amoena compression bra or you might want to call it a compression vest... whatever it is....love it....it has a long line frame....zip front closure with hook and eye interior...velcro cushion straps... easy dressing...and it doesn't roll....got two...only comes in white...depending on your insurance...you might not have to pay for it...wore it out of the place...feel so much better....running about sixty buck depending where you purchase it from.

• val61

Thanks, Gabrielledr!  Glad your surgery went well!  Hang in there!

• MicheleS
    MicheleS Member Posts: 196

what about pre-exchange?  My te's are stuck tight but starting to feel heavy.  Should I just wear a sports bra?

• Lilah

I wore a sports bra all through TEs (for what it's worth).