Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• jkz
    jkz Member Posts: 158

Estepp so glad to hear. I have been keeping him in my prayers. I hope everything gets resolved soon. Best of luck!

• don23
    don23 Member Posts: 213

Great news Laura! I'm so glad that whatever he may have can be fixed!

• MooreTennis
    MooreTennis Member Posts: 90

So happy that Taylor's heart and brain are OK. Continuing to pray for you and your family.

• MicheleS
    MicheleS Member Posts: 196

Estepp- yaaaaaay!!

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Laura -- already responded on EC thread but it's worth a little more celebration here: WAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Giselle -- ooo!  I have not seen that Natori wireless reflex bra yet but wirefree AND sexy?  I am going to check that one out :)

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

I have the underwire version of that Natori reflex bra and it is extremely comfortable.

• Katey
    Katey Member Posts: 496

Thanks Giselle, I'm googled the Natori and it does look nice and comfy!

• Giselle7
    Giselle7 Member Posts: 70

Yeah, that bra might just make me feel sexy enough to let my husband back into the marital bed this evening ; )

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

You go, girl!  Don't tell me that bras don't have super powers!    (just noticed you had Paget's....my mom did, too....she's a 15-yr. survivor Smile)

Laura - Such fantastic news about Taylor!  Prayer DOES work!

Speaking of bras......I had my post-tat checkup with my PS this afternoon.  Since I figured my appts would be way less frequent, I took the opportunity to ask him lots of questions.  Regarding bras, specifically, I asked him what he thought about our need for bras long-term.  He said that without one, the implants WILL move, but that at some point you have to make a lifestyle decision.  If sleeping with a bra makes you crazy, and you can live with the consequences, then don't worry about it.  He also said that I could change to a wireless bra to sleep in if I wanted......he implied that I was probably the longest underwire- for- sleep patient he'd had.....see.......compulsivity can be a GOOD thing!

• Kristinka
    Kristinka Member Posts: 223

Laura, I'm so happy to hear about Taylor and wish him the fastest recovery possible!

Val, interesting what your PS says - lucky for me I'm still better off in a bra at night but I can see the allure of going bra free from time to time...

• Kate33
    Kate33 Member Posts: 1,936

When I read the recommendation for wearing a bra 24/7 post exchange I thought, "No way!  I'm not doing that!"  But the funny thing is I find it more comfortable than going without.  And knowing it is helping my implants stay in place is a win-win.  Thanks for all the great advice everyone!

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

Kate 33 - I'm with you, it is more comfortable to have something support them than go without.  Never would have suspected that!  Yay for win-win.

• val61

Isn't that funny?  Never in my wildest imagination would I have thought that wearing a bra was preferable to NOT wearing one!  So far, the longest I've not worn one is about 20 minutes or so - the length of time it takes to get ready after my shower! 

• val61
    Well, my bra loving/hating friends......I tried it.....sleeping in wireless.....failed miserably!  I only have two wireless bras - the Soma Spa Bra that I wore sometimes during my TE's and the Warner's Elements of Bliss unlined bra the PS put me in post exchange between the drain removal and the underwire bra fitting. I started with the Soma bra, which lasted all of about 20 minutes....just didn't feel supported.  Then I switched to the Warner's, but woke up after an hour with quite an ache on my revision side.  (Interestingly, my PS had just told me on Friday that I'd still have some "discomfort" occasionally at that site because of the permanent sutures he used.....talk about foreshadowing)  So.....it's back in the underwire for me at night.....at least until I can find something else.  Luckily, I'm so used to these by now that I honestly don't mind......and they're quite a bit sexier than the other ones anyway....Wink
  • whippetmom

Val:  My husband would GREATLY prefer that I wear a Freya bra at night, trust me!  The other night he looked at my Anita mastectomy bra, [which is very comfortable for sleeping] and said it looked like a "circus bra".  Like it could do magic tricks. He said, "where did you buy it...from www.ringling.com?"

• val61

Deborah, you always make me laugh....now I'm picturing you on standing on a white horse.....maybe he really meant a circus like in Britney Spears' video.....

• Kate33
    Kate33 Member Posts: 1,936

Deborah- LOL!  Circus like a sexy trapeze artist or a clown that just climbed out of a car?  (Hope it wasn't the trained elephant!)  Maybe the ring leader?  'Cuz I definitely see you as a ring leader!  :)

• whippetmom

No, sadly, I do not think he meant anything so glamorous.  I think he was referring to a circus clown - with all of those big pockets.  That MX bra has prosthesis pockets....

• Kristinka

Val, I so know what you are talking about.  I have tried sleeping in so many dfiferent bras,  but I always go back to my Anita post MX sports bra style 5300x because it holds everything in place pretty tightly.   Here's the link: http://anita.com/us-en/Products,Anita_care,Care_bras,Sports_bras:5300X_Post mastectomy bra

Deborah, funny that you and I both prefer the anita bras for sleeping.  They will definitely not be winning sexy awards anytime soon, but the 5300x style is kind of sporty (and not too Ringlingy).  Oh husbands....

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

I must say: I have not been sleeping in a bra since about 2 months post exchange... since my implant doesn't move there hardly seems to be any point.  Maybe with gummies it's different?

• Giselle7

Kristinka, I have not heard much about the Anita bras. I checked out the site and I think there is a bra that would be perfect for me to sleep in. (TheCare bra 5322X)

After hearing about implant displacement on the other threads, even months after exchange, I want to do everything I can to assure that doesn't happen. My PS used Alloderm. I am hoping it helps to maintain the integrity of the exchange.

Lilah - I have not heard of anyone complaining about problems with the gummies regarding displacement : )

Whippetmom - Are you acrobatic? Surprised 

• Giselle7

Val - Comfort with sleeping with a wireless or underwired bra may have to do with breast size. You must be quite voluptuous!

• vanderlady
    vanderlady Member Posts: 122

Wow... very interesting reading about the bras....wish I found this site a little earlier in my exchange timeframe.  My PS said no need to wear a bra, unless I feel the need, and never to wear an underwire.  Well.....I'm the one with the major ripples.  Argh!  I'm just so frustrated right now!

• jkz
    I had my exchange on August 4, and have been wearing a regular sport bra with the spaghetti straps since. I have not had any problems and they are quite comfortable. I don't want to take any chances with displacements either.. No way, no chance. My new breast do seem to be pretty tight in place though. I have no complaints. My PS told me I will have 20 years old breast for the rest of my life!  I guess I will start looking for some good, nice bras in a couple weeks or so. My nipples will be on in about 4-5 weeks. Just can't wait to be complete again. I called Rose Marie Beauchmann (cosmetic artist) and she told me she does not do the tattoing until 4 months after the nipples are put on! So that is a wait. She may also line my lips for meKiss just a little extra gift that I think I deserve.. Have a great day ladies. Jennifer
  • tamgam
    tamgam Member Posts: 83

jkz- your in NJ and I am in Ma.  Where is this RoseMarie located?  I am just deciding if I want nips or just the 3d tats.  Does she have a wabsite?

• jkz

Yes she does have a website the link is:   www.beauinstitute.com

Judy knows of her and said she is an excellent artist!

• val61
    Giselle - You are quite correct....implant size does have some impact on our sleeping comfort, I think.  Now....I wouldn't exactly call myself "voluptuous," but for my relatively small-framed body, my implants are on the generous side....Wink   As my PS said, "Let me know how aggressive you want me go"........to which I responded, "Go aggessive!"......and he pretty much was....
  • val61

Just looked at that bra, Kristinka.....loved the comment about the "high neckline".......a DH's dream....I mean nightmare......lol

• Giselle7
    Kristinka - I bought the Anita bra today. Thank you for the suggestion. I will love sleeping in it. And better yet, my insurance company will pick up half the tab. It is rather a pricey bra.
  • Kristinka

Giselle - hope it works for you.  I wear an Anita that is one size smaller than my regular bras.  Val - this is NOT the bra to wear after candlelit dinners, but it keeps the gals up and forward - no splaying outwards allowed.