Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• tinat
    tinat Member Posts: 2,235
    MBJ:  That's great news!  Another giant step forward, right?  Congratulations!!!
  • MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

TinaT:  Thank you!!!  Where in California are you and where are you having your care?

• tinat

MBJ:  I'm in Northern California and I'm having my care in San Francisco at California Pacific Medical Center (Sutter).  I'm going for my first outpatient fill on Friday so I'm not too far into my journey yet. 

• MBJ

TinaT:  You are where I was in May of 2010.  Have you joined the Exchange City or the 101 Implant Sizing Threads yet?  They were sooooo helpful in making my decisions.  Good luck on your first fill.  Just remember, take it slow.

• tinat

No, I haven't come across those threads yet.  But, I'll check them out...thanks!

• MBJ

:)

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

mbj - woooo hooooo! that's fabulous!  soooo happy for you!!!! xoxo 

• MBJ

Dawne-Hope:  Words cannot express what I felt when I first saw my new nipple.  You would think I had just given birth or something, lol!

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

YIPPEE, for you, MBJ!!!!!!    So happy that YOU are happy!!!  Isn't it amazing what a difference the nip(s) makes?!

Question for anyone who has e-mail notifications from BCO:  are you getting them?  Suddenly mine stopped a couple days ago, though I'm receiving emails from other sources.  Can't figure out why.....

• Estel

val61- They're making changes to the site ... maybe that is why they stopped ... I think they started on 3.17.  I wonder if you need to go 'home' and set that you want email notifications again.

• wasin
    wasin Member Posts: 36

MBJ, thank you for your help.  I was able to PM Whippetmom and had sent her few photos.  My nipple surgery is due on 5/3, but I may end up rescheduling that depending on what my PS will tell me next week.

• wasin

MBJ, thank you for your help.  I was able to PM Whippetmom and had sent her few photos.  My nipple surgery is due on 5/3, but I may end up rescheduling that depending on what my PS will tell me next week.

• wasin

val61, I was able to send a PM to whippetmom with some photos.  And yes, my exchange was about 5 wks ago.  My implants are looking slightly better than before but when I wear a fitted top or a t-shirt my left breast looks fuller and lower than the right one which is not full as the left one.

And when I got these implants I convinced myself to just live with it and just continue to wear padded or molded bras, but I noticed that there is a little gap on my right between my skin and the bra.

My left breast was originally lower and slightly fuller than the right one even before breast cancer. 

I'm going to call my PS tomorrow to make an appt. with my doctor next week to talk about what he can do to fix this asymetrical problem I have.  I don't think I can live with it.  (As much as I don't want to have another additional surgeries, I want to just have PS fix it somehow.)

I'll definitely keep you ladies posted! :)

• wasin

Lilah, Yes, I sent a PM to Whippetmom and she thinks that I should get a bigger size 25cc-50cc.

It just dawned on me why my PS didn't think to give my right breast with a slight bigger implant when he knew that my left one is fuller than the right one..  I'm going to see my PS next week to talk about what he can do to fix this issue.  Thank you.

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Wasin -- Ah interesting that your left breast was lower and fuller prior to BC as well... which says to me it's something to do with your rib cage (or something anatomical anyway).  Here's hoping an exchange on the right to a slightly bigger implant takes care of the problem!   I will say, though, that at 5 weeks post-exchange you've still got dropping and fluffing ahead (it can take months)... so your PS will probably recommend waiting and seeing.

• packjen
    packjen Member Posts: 105

Ladies, can you give me an idea of what a quality underwire bra costs?  We have both Macy's (a fitter there was recommended to me) and Nordstrom's in the area. 

Before BC I hardly wore bras and the ones I preferred were inexpensive and used more to cover the nipples than provide support.  I just had my exchange 18 days ago and have been wearing sports bras ever since.  I am not sure I want to go bra shopping until after my swelling goes down.  I don't want to buy bras that won't fit right in a month or so.

Thanks,

Jen

• Estel

packjen - For me, the bras that fit me best post-exchange are freya bras.  It's taken a lot of experimenting to figure that out ... new at Nordstrom's they cost $60.  But what you can do is go and get fitted buy ONE and then if it still works for you after a few days, you can buy the same style at e-bay for half the cost.  For most of us, though, it takes a lot of experimenting to find what works for you.  Best of luck to you! 

• wasin

Lilah, One of the things I learned through research about BC was interesting symptoms of BC.  Before I was diagnosed w/ BC my left breast was a little lower and slightly fuller than the right one.

It was a little itchy too at the time and I had no idea why my breast was a little itchy especially around the nipple area.  Well, I found that those were some of the BC symptoms.

I couldn't spare my nipples because there were some precancerous thing going on around the nipple in addition to couple of other areas on the same breast.  Whippetmom said I should postpone the nipple surgery which is scheduled for early May because if I'm going to exchange for a bigger implants, then I would need to wait.  And I wish my implants will "fluff up" but because I have a gummy bear (textured) implants, I found that they don't really fluff up much.

I have to see what my PS will have to tell me next week.

• val61

An interesting tidbit of info: the left breast is larger than the right in most women.  Wink  Not that that completely explains your issue, wassin, but perhaps adds to the explanation.....       As for postponing your nip surgery, ABSOLUTELY!  If you are at all considering a revision, you need to wait; the last thing you want are nips that aren't even anymore.  And don't fear the revision;  I had one to fix a shifted left implant, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.  It was worth every moment of pain and delay in completing my recon.  

packjen - Dawne's correct - a quality bra can cost  $45-$80....and more, though the really high-end ones are expensive more for their use of handmade lace than for superior construction.  Wacoal bras are very good, and tend to run on the lower side of the price range.  Before my recon, I never really understood how a $50 bra differed from a $15 bra, but now I do. The seaming, fabric, wire material, and overall design of higher-end bras really do offer superior support to the bras found in discount stores.  And since support is the primary purpose of a bra, then it makes sense to buy what works......at least for me.   If you're a 34 band or bigger, TJMaxx and Marshalls have EXCELLENT deals on high-end bras; they just don't tend to carry 32 bands or smaller.  Ebay, as Dawne suggested, is another great source, once you've found a style that works for you.     As for the size issue, if you have a great deal of swelling still, then it makes sense to wait.  I will say that my size did not change at all from my first bra fitting, which was 10 days post-exchange.  Everybody's different, though.    Best of luck, and keep us posted!

• Lilah

Wasin -- aw I'm sorry I completely forgot you have gummies.  You're right they don't drop and fluff the way regular silicone does.  I did notice after 3 months, though, that my implant (I'm a uni) was much softer... but that does not help your particular issue.  Good luck with your PS! 

Val -- I am not having trouble with email notification (as far as I know -- though I've only got mine set to notify me if I have a PM and I haven't the last few days) but I HAVE noticed that when I open a favorite topic it opens at the top of the last page I read instead of AT the last post I read.  Really annoying because I have to spend far more time now finding my place.  Does anyone have any idea how to fix that?  I looked at "preferences" and did not see an option to select.

• fire-dancer
    fire-dancer Member Posts: 444

Hi ladies! I have been back-reading a bit and there is a TON of info on this thread, I am trying to absorb as much as I can...I am 2 days out from exchange (32 in rib cage, 5'6", 125 lbs - Mentor 450 high profiles) I am still in the surgical bra and will be able to switch to a sports bra probably on Monday.  My question, or "one"of my questions ;-) is: does anyone have a reccomendation for a sports bra that you preferred for 24/7 use?  I have to wear one for the 1st month allll the time, although from what I read, I might just be continuing on with a 24/7 bra in the future! 

I am going to look up the brands I have noticed on this thread, but was wondering if anyone who had about the same build as me and about the same implants if you had any preferences you'd like to share with me?  Thanks in advance and I appreciate all the info!

btw - sholuld I schedule my sizing at Nordstrom's for next week (when I can drive there) or wait a bit?

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

Just a quick update about my leaking saline impant. Yesterday I had it replaced in PS office. Everything went very well. He didn't give me enough anesthesia to keep me out for the whole procedure and I came to exactly when he removed the implant and was able to see the pinhole leak. Felt the new one "pop" in place. Fortunately he used local where he stitched. Went to dinner with out of town family and felt great. Just had hard time sleeping on back, again, but could turn on side and sleep. I have no Pain and am actually headed to get ready for wotk today. Will update pics on picture forum when healing complete. Nancy

• Lilah

Delilahbear -- WOW he did it in his office?!  That is impressive.  I don't know what I would have done had I woken up in the middle like that... glad you kept your wits about you :)  And hope the replcaement is a good one!

Firedancer -- I wore an inexpensive (a few really) JC Penney zip front sports bra called Underscore (I think).  It was wire free and soft but supportive. 

• fire-dancer
    fire-dancer Member Posts: 444

I'll check it out, Lilah, thank you for your input!!!

• val61

Firedancer - Welcome and congrats on your exchange!  You're on the home stretch now!  Lilah's suggestion is good.  Although I'm somewhat close to you in size,  I can't suggest a sports bra for post-surgical time, as my PS had me wear a regular underwire bra as soon as my drains came out.  If and when you need a good work-out bra, though, I can definitely help you out there!   Several women have worn those sports bras from Penney's, and they've been quite happy.  They're not expensive, either, which is a nice plus.     As for going for a bra-fitting, I went for my fitting as soon as my drains came out, and I didn't change size.  If you seem to have a lot of swelling, though, you might wait a week or so.  If your PS insists on just a sports bra to start with anyway, it would make sense to wait to be fitted.   

Deliahbear - OMG!  I can't believe he did an exchange in his office!  Does he have an OR suite there?  (one of our local fancy cosmetic-only PS's is advertising that......just like on that show, "Dr. 90210".......she advertises fuzzy robes, soft blankets, and flowers......Smile)    You are one tough cookie to have awakened, not freak out, then not only go out to dinner, but to work the next day!  You win the tough chick award from me!   I'm just glad that it all turned out okay, though.  Yippee!

• val61
    Lilah - I noticed the top of the page thing, too.......and don't much care for it, as I'm afraid I'm going to miss something.    But you do get to see my smiling face at the top of this thread......Wink
  • Lilah

I will add: that JC Penney sports bra is not much for sports use LOL... but it is comfy for 24/7 wear :)  Val is the bra whisperer here so I say listen to her!

• packjen
    packjen Member Posts: 105

Thanks Dawn-Hope and Val.  I like the idea of finding a bra and then purchasing more on Ebay.  That's what I do with shoes.

Val, I can attest to the "left one is bigger" fact.  Mine was bigger pre-BC and is still bigger post-exchange.  I wonder if it has to do with the heart being on that side...

Jen

• Lilah

Oddly, my right was bigger pre-BC.  Now, it's the left (my remaining natural side).  But the difference is small.

• val61

hmmmmmm........never thought of the heart thing......I'll ask my dh to see if he has any idea why.....