Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893

Val--------Foob problems----sx 2y 3 1/2 months --Feb 09------Foobs as I new were falling into armpits>>> caused pain and swelling of the axilla, foob, and upper inner arm where drain was. Did all kinds of things since sx to try to alleviate symptoms. Tube top at night , special side lying position with affected arm propped on pillows. All symptoms increased with any type of use of the affected arm and even with use of the unaffected arm.  No matter what I did the foob migrated to axillary region.  Inadvertently found out, on a day of particular discomfort,  that if I wore this old WonderBra with underwires that I had less of everything.  Wore it several days 24/7. AND the foobs would remain in the correct position during the day without a bra, might even be for a couple of days. SO, it became my resource.

Now based on this thread ----ALL COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED, IF MY PS HAD DONE SOME TEACHING. -----doesn't matter if I'm a nurse, if you have no education in it, you don't know. SO, I am going to C&P thisThread URL  to several threads I'm on with hopes of anyone else in the same position will come here to find what they need.

Another inadvertent thing I found out last thursday, SO, this is only 5 days of doing it. I had severe back pain. For the first time, I slept in what's called semifowlers position. Head up and legs up (electric vibrating bed). When you do this, if your positioned right it flattens out the lumbar spine >>>>which leads to the relaxtion of those muscles>> reduces pain. WELL in the morning the foob/axillary/upperinner arm pain and  swelling  were almost nonexistant.  Based on what I learned on this site, I surmise that the position didn't allow the foobs to ---migrate to the axilla---because gravity was taking them just slightly down, but it was enough to reduce whatever pressure the foob was putting on the axillary region that it helped.

So, between your explanation in the thread description/posts and the positioning, I have had the best days post sx in 2 1/4 years. That is phenomenal. Duh I'm happy---------Bless you all.

I'll work on the bra thing---- this workhorse --old WonderBra will have to do for now. But I now know I have light at the end of the tunnel.   COOL. Sheila

• sas-schatzi

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topic/753120

Anyone having trouble with bra fittings and migrating foobs, this is the site you want to go too. Amazing information.  Will be back want to post this on some other sites :)) sheila

Val61 et al-----I just posted this message above on 13 threads-------So, if you get inundated with new folks this is  why-------LOL---------needless to say you are valued---Sheila

• cleo100
    cleo100 Member Posts: 75

Hello, ladies. I am having my nipple "created" on Friday using the flap method. I was told i wouldn't need a bra to wear home but will be bandaged. I was wondering if anyone can give me advice regarding bras for the next few weeks and sleeping. Also, any advice on preserving the new nipple ? Will i be able to wear anything other than sports bras this summer? So many questions and any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thank you:)

Cleo

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

cleo - They sent me home in the same surgical bra that I wore after my DMX and my exchange surgery.  I wore it for a few days then switched to the same bras I had been wearing before my fipples.  I needed to loosen the straps to give room for all the gauze pad covering the new nips.  I wore gauze for at least six weeks.  I had healing issues on my left side and I wore gauze on that side for several more weeks after that.  Some wore nipple covers ... MBJ bought one and that might be better than all the gauze, especially in the heat.  Nips in the summer is a bit more difficult because you have all the gauze and it is a harder to hide it under a t-shirt than a big, bulky sweater. 

Congratulations on your nips!  Follow your PS's instructions and wear the gauze and /or nip cover to help preserve it for at least six weeks!

[[hugs]]

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

Cleo:  My t-shirt bras with a bit of padding with loose straps worked just fine.  I put a Modela nipple protector (in the nursing section at Target $7 each) with the tip cut off taped over the bandages and this worked fine under most clothes except for anything tight/revealing.  I could NOT wear any push up bras dring this time.  Good luck and I hope this helps!

• cleo100

Thank you, Dawn-Hope and MBJ. I really am excited about having this done. I'll probably be back with more questions after Friday!

• JoanDavies
    JoanDavies Member Posts: 80

I'm 8 weeks post-exchange and went for a bra fitting today at the spa in the cancer center of the PS's office (that's where they send their bra scripts to). I was looking forward to this, after reading all of your happy bra shopping experiences. But 45-minutes into the fitting, I'm depressed because all they have are "old lady" bras, nothing pretty, nothing sexy. I left with two because I'm just desperate to get out of the sports bras that I've been living in for 8 weeks (although one of the two I got is really a sports bra). I left a message begging the PS office to forward the script to Nordstroms, which has a much larger selection, and the fitter there told me she'd get me demi cups and cleavage. I'm so bummed because I left there feeling fat and ugly. Boo.

• fire-dancer
    fire-dancer Member Posts: 444

Oh, Joan!  You deserve a great shopping experience, after all the crap we've gone through this should be the highlight, I had the choice of getting my script filled at my hospitals boutique, but I had the same experience as you, all the bras felt like, well...mastectomy bras!...I really hope your PS reconsiders and sends the script to Nordstroms!!!  You will feel awesome & totally deserve the attention of the fitter (who in my experience was awesome), lotsa lace and all the cleavage you want!!! :-)  Let us know what happens with your phone call!

• Cameron
    Cameron Member Posts: 128

Hey guys, I'm passing along this info. If you shop HerRoom, maybe you wondered about the little pink measurement grid overlayed on each bra?  I was reading a blog written by Tomima Edmark (HerRoom founder) which explains how to use the information.

VERY informative!     Here's the link. 

Edited to add: what do you all use to handwash your bras?  I can't decide what to buy. I have put off ordering any more bras until I see if my Freya Pollyanna 34D will fit...it should be here in about 3 days. Smile 

• sas-schatzi

Jd I'm sure you will get great advice from the women here that know. I only found them 4 days ago and they have changed my life:))))))

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Great link Cameron -- thanks!

• Estel
    Cameron - I mainly use Nordstrom's lingerie wash.  I have a couple of others (Le Blanc Silk and Lingerie Wash and Forever New) but they have a strong smell and I'm sensitive to such things and I don't care for them.  The Nordstrom's wash was recommended by whippetmom and it comes in Lavender and a no scent formula and I like them both.  Work very well.  Don't use woolite ... it stretches out the elastic and the lace.  Let us know how the pollyanna works for you!
  • Estel

Cindy - A while back Val recommended for me the Bendon Max Out bra and I love it!  I'm not coordinated enough nor flexible enough to put on the bra with the straps crossed but there are pics on the bra thread in the pic forum where she shows how to cross the straps.  Here is the link for the Bendon. 

http://www.herroom.com/Bendon-73-408-Max-Out-Technical-Support-Sports-Bra.shtml

• MBJ

Hillck;  I recall Val wearing two bras in the beginning!

Joan:  I hate the MX bras--they look like something my grandmother would have worn!  Hope your PS forwards the script to Nordstroms!

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Good evening, ladies!  Sounds like y'all are having a good week! 

Congrats to Cleo on getting your nips on Friday!  You'll be amazed at what a difference they make!  My PS used a similar approach to Dawne-Hope's.  I had  gauze "doughnuts" that I made each day that wrapped around the nips to protect them from smooshing.  I, too, wore my regular underwire bra, just with the straps REALLY loose.  Mine were done exactly a year ago, so it's still pretty clear.  Disguising the Madonna-wannabee look is a bit difficult in summer clothes, especially in heat like we have here, but it's doable.  I wasn't allowed to sweat for two and a half weeks til the sutures came out.  Once I could, I still used the gauze in my sports bra, since those bras really do compress.  Good luck and keep us posted!

Speaking of sports bras, my favorite is indeed the "Max Out" by Bendon.  It's available at Herroom and Barenecessities.  The straps do cross - which is my preference, as it really does add more stability - but it's a bit of an event at first getting into it.  Once you learn it, though, it's fine, I promise!  Initially, my PS DID have me in double sports bras, as MBJ said.  That was for the first month or so when I got back to working out.  I wore a Donna Karan underwire with a Moving Comfort wireless over it.  Man, that was a heck of a lot of bra!  Considering I teach and have to talk AND breathe at the same time, that was just too much.  Thankfully I found the Bendon, and my PS gave me his blessing, so all is good!   Hope that helps, Cindy!

Cameron - I use the Nordstrom's lingerie wash, too!  It works beautifully! And thanks for that link, too.  That has saved me many bad purchases!   I need to pay attention to the center height of my wires - if they're too high they push out on my implants (BIG NO NO!) - and that little tape tells it all!

((((Joan))))) - Good heavens.....Boo is right!....and bra shopping should NOT make you feel anything less than beautiful!   I'm so sorry that you had a less than wonderful first bra shopping trip!  Yes, there ARE lovely, supportive bras out there for "reconstruction patients" like us, and you desserve them! I'm glad you spoke up and asked your PS for something different.  You'll no doubt help many who will come after you!

((((Sheila)))))) - Oh, my dear.......what a time you've had!  I feel for you, your pain, and your sliding foobs, and I'm glad that you've finally found some relief!  I find it amazing that so many PS's believe that no support (bra) is necessary after reconstruction; even to a lay person like me, it doesn't make sense.  There's just not much holding those puppies in place, and gravity and activity can take a toll.  I just hope you don't scare too many people by sharing our thread; we're a bit bra-obsessed around here!

• val61

Sheila - I forgot to add that my PS had my sleep essentially in Semi Fowlers position after each surgery - on my back, chest propped up on several pillows, legs propped up on a pillow.  Frankly, until several months after my exchange, I pretty much slept in that position.  Believe me, that was a huge deal for this side-sleeper!       Way better than the Trendeleburg position that I spent a couple of days in when my water broke and I was only 32 weeks pregnant........

• greytcruise
    greytcruise Member Posts: 62

JoanDavis,  hang in there.  You need to go to a good bra store and treat yourself to one bra that makes you look fabulous!   Nordy's has alot on sale here now or if you have a TJMaxx etc and know your size go there.  I went to specialty store that my PS assist. recommended and I know how you feel, I was not impressed with the bras, so I took my script to Nordy's.   Best wishes.

• vmudrow
    vmudrow Member Posts: 415

I too love the Bendon Max Out Sports bra - another one I love is made by Athleta (have to order from their site online) style 819373 - it also crosses in back - is underwire.

• cleo100

Val, thanks so much for chiming in. I really appreciate your advice and will see what tomorrow brings. I will report as soon as i am able:)  Next week will be a challenge as it has been in the mid 90's and our schools do not have air conditioning. I'm afraid to consider my wardrobe for the last 2 weeks of work! Let's hope for a cold spell!

• Cameron
    Cameron Member Posts: 128

Hey ladies!

Val, I am so happy you recommended the Freya Pollyanna!  It showed up and it fits...like it was MADE for me, no kidding. 34D.  Pics on the bra thread!

So this has been the best day in awhile, I have a pretty new bra! I danced around my living room till my 2 little dogs got excited, I think they thought we were going for a walk. Then I was like "no girls...mommy needs to rest, just online shopping". 

• Estel

Cameron - So glad you like the pollyanna!  Awesome that it fits perfectly!!!!!  Kiss 

Funny about your dogs!  Laughing

• sas-schatzi
    Val 61---------well it has been a trial, but I have learned to live in the day. The fact that anything I tried or thought  was validated by what you all have written here, has been so great. Thats why I had to post it all over the place---if even only one other person got here and found an answer. Irony is I had the electric bed. We treated ourselves years ago, but I could never sleep in semi-fowlers. It's been a week now. Still continuing the same as I first wrote. I haven't concentrated on the bra part yet because i will have to go back and review pages. Also I did go to Penny's along time ago and they had a gal that was specially trained and she worked for 1/1/2 hours to fit me.-----End result wasn't as successful as what I'm hearing here. She tried so hard, bless her. I just figuired my foobs were weird in shape. I got clearance to go through TIM-Tam and then wouldn't do it b/c I might be even more frustrated by seeing other people that had the better or perfect outcome. MY PS is considered one of the best in the area------DUH---NOT. But seriously happy to have found you all, and your knowledge. I'll bide my time and take it all in a day at a time. Thanks sheila
  • val61

Great news, Cameron!  All I can say is, "Freya Pollyannas ROCK!"  (And yes, I'm wearing one now....even with a t-shirt.....yes, the seams do show a bit, but at this moment, I frankly could care less!

I, too, had a bra delivery yesterday!  Some good, some bad....full report probably tomorrow.  I'm taking pics to post so that y'all can see the difference between a good fit and a not-so-good one.  Today, the laundry and housework wins, plus a frozen yogurt date with my sweet son, then an actual date with my dh, so look for more to come tomorrow!

Enjoy your weekend and stay cool!  (though heaven knows that's not possible around here!)

• fire-dancer

So I ventured to the beach yesterday in my 1st bikini post-exchange!  I ordered from Victoria's Secret.  I got one style "Liya" and another "Daisy".  I preffered the look of the Daisy top better, a lightly padded triangle-halter style.  Quite cute considering I have a narrow frame.  It felt wierd at first walking the beach with everything "out there"!  I liked the way they looked but I think it will take time to get used to it...it's all a process, but a fun day.  New England was in the 90's yesterday which is extremely warm for June.  Val, sounds like a scorcher by you, enjoy that frozen yogurt! 

I will check out the scars thread, but any advice on protection?  I use a suncreen stick and apply liberally to incisions and drain scars.  Incisions are covered by suit, but the drains sneak out from under the side strap.  I have healed very well since December,  will I make the drain scars worse if they sneak out and see the sun, even if lathered up in sunscreen?

• jkz
    jkz Member Posts: 158

Good for you Megan. God know I will NEVER see a bikini again.. Those days are long long gone!

I took my bandages off this morning and I have to say I look really good :). There was a little bleeding and seeping through my scars which really scared me. I called the doctor and was told to get steri-strips from the pharmacy and cover the scars. Hopefully this solves the problem.. I have never had this happen with any of my prior surgeries so I was really conerned. Anyway, the scars are now covered and I am wearing 2 cotton sport bras which are really supportive. The bra I came home from in the hospital was just too loose and I felt like it gave me no support.  I only will need 1 more surgery to be complete.. I am just hoping that this lift she did takes and i don't settle too much.. I will be posting pictures within the next few days.. Please let me know what you all think! Thanks sisters :).

• MBJ

firedancer:  Yay for you bikini girl!!!  I would wear a sunBLOCK to protect your scars.

• MBJ

jkz:  Congratulations!!!  Can't wait to see pics!

• JoanDavies
    JoanDavies Member Posts: 80

Thanks for all the encouragement - my PS did fax the script to Nordy's, so I will look for the remaining allowance there. Apparently insurance will cover a certain number (mine is 6) per year for the rest of your life. How awesome is that? (Well, as long as you can go to Nordy's, that is.) I looked at the bras on the picture forum, and some of them are downright sexy and pretty.

• MBJ

Joan:  That is just awesome!!!

• fire-dancer

MBJ - I'm wearing a SPF 55 stick on the scars!  The higher the SPF, the better, I'm an all-over spf girl, anyway...It's the one I use on my kids with their ever-so-faire-Irish skin! ;-)  ...fyi - I went with the double-side tie bottom, I think you (and Erica) have converted me to the side ties!  I did buy an adjustable side tie bottom too, it's cute with more coverage...like on the days I might want to boogey-board on the waves and don't want to see my bottoms up on the beach before I get there!  Tongue out

...Joan - I plan on heading to Nordies yearly for my 6 bras insurance gives me...and you are right, they are so sexy & pretty!

jkz - glad all is looking good!  I agree, my surgical bra was way too loose, I was way more comfortable in the sports bra!