Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Sweetie - I just had another thought:  if you have a SOMA store near you (part of the Chico's family of stores) go check out their "Vanishing Edge" bra.  They're supposed to help smooth everything out back there.    Here it is:  

http://www.soma.com/store/browse/product.jsp?maxRec=2&pageId=1&productId=570007270&viewAll=&prd=Vanishing+Back+BackClose+Nadine+Underwire+Bra&subCatId=cat5969283&color=&fromSearch=&inSeam=&posId=2&catId=cat40089&cat=Bras+New+Vanishing+Back+Collection&onSale=&colorFamily=&maxPg=1&size=

It also comes in 32DD.............Innocent

• Izzybelle
    Izzybelle Member Posts: 12

I don't know if some of you guys have a Nordstrom rack close by but I went to one last week and I found some very good deals. They had tone of Wacoals. I got 3 that are very confortable for less than 25 dollars each compare to 50 to 60 dollars regular price. I have never been as excited to buy bras...

• slinky
    slinky Member Posts: 166

Izzybelle, I was just at Nordstrom Rack and bought 3 bras all in 32DD. They fit like a glove - unfortunately my PS doesn't want me to wear underwires, which is what I bought. I had to order Wacoal Awareness wireless online because the 32DD size seems hard to find in alot of the stores I called. A salesperson had me try on a 34D in this style, but the middle was wrinkly, so a 32DD should fit well.

• Delilahbear
    Delilahbear Member Posts: 206

As most of you know, I'm a big SOMA fan - just bought 3 new ones on sale. Best part is that in the Emma minimizer, I went down a band size since PS took some of the fat away from underarms a month ago. Anyway, the Vanishing Edge bra really fits kind of weird for reconstructions. At least it did for me. It has light padding/shaping and my foobs just did not fit into it correctly. I pretty much do not wear anything with any padding as don't fill out the. "points" so to speak. This is just my opinion and one would need to try it and see. As Val says, it is supposed to take care of the back fat issue.

• Tinkerbell99
    Tinkerbell99 Member Posts: 193

hi Ladies..i heard there was this forum..i found it...lol  i have not worn a bra in so long (had BMX a yr & 1/2 agao) & i gave up w/ bras..but ...wearing some shirts it wld b easier to wear a bra *& i do look better w/ one....my big issue is i need a B cup & a 40 width & I cant find any arnd...i dont have nordstorms & i cant buy w/out trying on!!! any info u can give!!!! thx!!!

• JoanDavies
    JoanDavies Member Posts: 80

Had my Nordstrom's appointment last night. The fitter was no-nonsense, brought out a few Chantelle bras after taking my measurements (from 34B to 36D). They looked great! SOOO expensive but totally worth it! (Apparently Aetna only covers $28 toward the bras, and anyone who's bought Chantelle knows they cost almost three times that.) Anyhow, they are all underwire, which I was a little hesitant about, but she said I have to "train" the new girls to stay in closer together so they don't migrate to my armpits. The underwire did dig in between be breasts, which was awfully uncomfortable as the day wore on. On the plus side - no back fat and the band was pretty comfortable! So, I have a work bra, t-shirt bra, and sexy bra. Now that I know what to look for, I'll go for some lesser expensive but just as pretty ones. Oh - she did recommend not getting a pushup bra or extra padding, because "I don't need it." Nice to hear! :)

• fire-dancer
    fire-dancer Member Posts: 444

Yay Joan! glad you had a good experience at Nordstroms! I havent' yet ventured to eBay, but it sounds like the gals here find a lot of great bras there...even those pricey Chantelles I thought I might never buy again if I had to pay $85 bucks a pop! ;-) so glad it was good for you!

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

tinkerbell99 - You need to go somewhere for a fitting.  Nordstrom's is great if you can take a trip ... my nearest Nordstrom's is 2.5 hours away.  It's where all my docs are and it's worth the trip.  Call for an appt. and ask for a surgical fitter.  If there is absolutely no way this is a possibility for you, look in your local yellow pages and find a specialty masectomy/bra shop.  If you don't know where one is ... I asked my hair stylist (a woman who I've known for a long time and I trust... those stylists have lots of contacts, you know?  Wink) for a local fitter and she can gave me a name.  You need to get fitted by a trained fitter.  Most of us haven't had good luck at Victoria's Secret or JCPenney ... they don't have experience with fitting reconstructed breasts.  Good luck to you. 

joandavies - So HAPPY you had a great fitting!  Yes, the Chantelle's are expensive but now you know your size and what works, you CAN order on e-bay.  I bought a Chantelle Icone T-shirt bra on ebay for $20 and it fit perfectly.  Yay for you!!!!  Laughing

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Tinkerbelle:  What is your height, weight, and what style and volume of implants do you have? Also, what is your ribcage circumference under the implants? Then, measure around the center of the implants - the circumference.  We might be able to help calculate your size in this manner. 

• slinky

If there is a Nordstrom Rack near you, I would check it out for the Chantrelle bras. I saw a few of them on the racks, but they were in the larger sizes. Nordstrom Rack can check for your size through their system. So worth it because they were less than $30 each!

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Slinky -- is that beautiful purple bra you posted on my picture forum bra thread a Chantelle?  I love it!  Can you post the style (either a name or a number)?

• slinky

Lilah, I posted the updated info in the pic forum, but that bra is by Huit and the style is Jalouse, color is violette imperio. I put the tags away already, but I put the style number on the pics thread,, too. Hope this helps!

• Lilah

Awesome Slinky!  Thank you!  And I did some research and three is indeed a Nordstrom Rack in my area -- never been there but will definitely go NOW!  :)

Edited to Add: that is a brand I've never seen before... and on Herroom.com they have a whole bunch of Huit bras with the name "cake" -- LOL -- love it!

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Lilah:  Are you wearing wired bras now?

• Lilah

Whippetmom -- yes I am!  I never told my PS, I just decided it was time (around 8 months post exchange).  The last conversation I ever had with her was: ME: "Do I have to wear wirefree forever?"  PS: "Not forever."  So I decided eight months was long enough LOL.  I've worn wired bras all my life and wearing wire free just bugged me.

• Tinkerbell99
    Tinkerbell99 Member Posts: 193

whippetmom, i measured myself just yesterday & of course dont remember what it was..but i followed the guidelines that this site took me too how to measure & see what size "bra" u would be w/ implants...& it came out to 40 B...i dont know what kind of implants i have & i shld shouldnt i?  I go to my PS on Monday & will ask him & get back to u on all this...thx!!

Ladies...the bra shops for women who have had masectomies & didnt have implants...they cater to women like us to?  i read some where insurance covers bras??  there is a small shop where my BS is & my PS is in the same bldg.  When i go on Monday i will see what hrs & info they have...today b/c i was wearing a see thru tee..i wore a sports bra & i hate it!!!  my right implant always bugs me after wearing a bra ..i will usually wear a cami under my shirt if its see thru..but its so hot!!!! thx!!

• val61

Hey, tinkerbell! I'm writing this on my phone, so I apologize in advance! I doubt very much you're a b- cup; most of us with implants aren't since the implants are wider than natural breasts. Anyway, I'm happy to help you size if you want to PM me your measurements. Or whippetmom, too. We just need your size just under your foobs (ribcage), plus "up and over" the implants- start at the center of your cleavage (may not touch an implant) then over the breast mound (over the nipple line), ending at the outside edge of the implant.

• val61

tinkerbell - believe or not, I actually wrote the post above last night, but our internet's been in and out for the past few days, so i guess it never got sent til this morning.....the joys of technology!

Yes, many of those "mastectomy" bra shops do carry regular bras and not just ones that hold prostheses.  The fitters there are obviously well-trained in dealing with the problems of BC patients.  However, as some here have discovered, the bras that those stores DO carry may not be the prettiest; they tend to be utilitarian and frankly frumpy.   Do not dismay, though!  If that doesn't work, look for a small bra boutique in your area - many smaller towns have them, which I find amazing, but very cool - and you should have some luck.  The fitters in those stores are usually VERY good at dealing with reconstruction issues.  And of course, there are the department stores - Nordstrom's, Macy's, etc - which may have fabulous fitters or may not.  Nordstrom's is USUALLY very good, but not always,   We'll help you figure it all out!

• val61
    joandavies - I just read that you said that one of your new bras "dug in between your breasts."  That shouldn't happen, if you're in the correct size.  The cups should be "full" enough that they exert enough pressure on the center wires to SLIGHTLY pull them away from the body.  The wires should not be touching your sternum.  That's the reason that so many people hate underwire bras; they're wearing ones that don't fit.   Check out that bra and see if that's the problem..........  Sounds like you did get a fitter who knows why underwire is so important, though, and that's fantastic!  Yes, the primary issue we have is lateral implant migration - sounds like something from the Disovery Channel, doesn't it? - and underwire is our main defense against it!
  • JoanDavies
    JoanDavies Member Posts: 80

Thanks, Val! The other two bras did not give me the same underwire sternum pressure, so I'll make sure I'm adjusting the first one correctly. If I am, then it must be the bra style or size causing the problem. The other two are very comfortable for underwires. I do find myself checking the sides to make sure the wires aren't pressing on the implants and that the girls are where they're supposed to be. Wearing my sexy top at work today, bazooms!

• Estel

Cameron - Here is one link to the Natori bras.

This one is on sale!

http://www.herroom.com/natori-136001-body-doubles-with-lace-full-coverage-contour-bra.shtml

And here is the other one;

http://www.herroom.com/natori-132001-lace-trim-body-doubles-contour-underwire-bra.shtml

And here's a Chantelle on sale!  I'd love to try this one but they don't have it in my size:

http://www.herroom.com/chantelle-3956-sublime-t-shirt-bra.shtml

• Izzybelle
    Izzybelle Member Posts: 12

JoanDavies- I have the same issues with sternum pressure with all the Chantelles. It seems that the wires are coming too high inward between my breasts. It is very painful.

I got a Freya Alexa Berry on line - it is a gorgeous sexy bras but after 4 hours I had big indentations on the upper part of my sternum and that was painful. I got a 34DD because the 36D would have been too loose after a couple of weeks. I am wondering if it's because of the shape of my implants (normal saline). I am 7 weeks after exchange maybe I need to heal a little more. I hope it will get better because I love that bras!

• Cameron
    Cameron Member Posts: 128

Thank you for the links Dawne-Hope, I sped over here from the pic forum and now I'm busy clicking...awesome...

• Estel

Cameron - The Natori bras will be good under t-shirts.  I was thinking about bras that you need NOW so soon after the exchange and I thought of this one.  You haven't tried an Anita bra yet and this one will give you everything you need right now:

http://www.herroom.com/Anita-5690-Alicia-Underwire-Bra.shtml?cm_mmc=google-_-her-_-anita-_-&brand=Anita&sku=5690&kwid=a5b4ad1c8a164224baad8cf878d37a91&gclid=CPjT3vncl6QCFQvs7QodZmqtFA

• Estel

All you Freya lovers out there (Yes, Cameron, I'm talking to you!!)  Wink 

I found some on bareneccesities that I haven't seen before.  Thought I'd post 'em so you could check them out.  I miss the herroom descriptions so you don't really know how they're different than others ... but I thought they were pretty and some are on sale ... so here they are:

http://www.barenecessities.com/freya-cindy-underwire-plunge-bra-aa4871_product.htm?pf_id=FreyaAA4871&search=30D

http://www.barenecessities.com/freya-edith-underwire-plunge-bra-aa4811_product.htm?pf_id=FreyaAA4811

Someone want to try them and give me a report?  Wink Tongue out Laughing

• Lilah

Oooo nice Freya bras Dawn-Hope!  That Edith is especially pretty -- love the blue!

• Estel

I thought so too, Lilah!  Kiss

And then there's this beauty:  It is only available in 30D, my size AND it's on sale!  Is it a sign?  Wink

http://www.barenecessities.com/product.aspx?pf_id=Freya4521

• Lilah

It is absolutely a sign!  Go for it!  Love that groovy 70s swirl pattern!

• Cameron
    Cameron Member Posts: 128

Lucky for all the 34D's of the world, my computer is incompatible with the Barenecessities website!  It's a Mac with an old OS.  I can click and see the pics on the links you posted, but when I try to fill up my shopping cart, it won't LET ME!  LOL Maybe it's trying to tell me something.

But yeahhhh....I'm NUTS over the Freya "Cindy", I read about it on the Freya blog sometime this month (<-- linky) and fell in love, it's just not easy to find a place to order it!  I haven't tried too hard though :-)  It WILL be mine, someday. So it better freakin' fit me.  I'm still shell-shocked over my precious PRECIOUS Freya Lyla.  And her oh-so-slightly too large cups.  Will I ever love another bra again.

uhhhhhhhh Yah. 

I am going to my brother's house tomorrow and I have to use his computer and printer to print off tax documents.  I wonder how fast I could fill up a cart and check out...LOL!

"hey sis I thought you were printing off something for your property tax refund. But now I see you are staring at expensive bras. OMG why are you DROOLING?  Hey, that isn't the price for ONE bra, is it?!  INTERVENTION time...step away from the computer!"

• Estel
    Sealed  LOL!  That's all I gotta say!  Laughing