Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

August 2010...anyone starting chemo besides me?!

Comments

• texasrose361
    texasrose361 Member Posts: 895

Lizzy LMBO! i think he means he doesnt want to feel like hes cheatin LOL

Um maybe i should up my work outs to twice a day too- mornin and night, so my body wakes up burning calories and goes to bed burning calories!

I had a great moms day. My daughter told me that it was the best day ever! i think its cuz i let them break a lot of "rules" (no food in the office, no drinking out of the milk jug!)

i got a free zumba lesson flyer in the mail but its for SAN ANTONIO! it would be a 3 hr drive up, one hr class and 3 hr drive back... i wish i lived in a larger city! LOL

• jsw19
    jsw19 Member Posts: 212

Omaz and Carolyn Thanks for the support on the hair.  Omaz, you are right that it is a badge of strength and Carolyn your "chemo compliment" gave me a good laugh!

Texas I am so glad you got to go to LGFB and that it really did make you feel better!  I agree that the shorter brown wig is cuter but I also think you look great with no wig.  It looks like your hair is really coming in!

Lizzy Glad to hear you found such a good PS and hopefully once your wound heals up you can get back on track for implants.  I actually measured my hair last night and mine is also about 1/2 to 3/4 inch long.  Of course I am eager for it to get longer but right now mostly I want it to get thicker because I feel like I can still see a lot of scalp showing through.

Cal I have read exactly what Omaz said about the eyelashes - that normally they are all on different cycles to fall out and regrow so that you always have some but chemo messes that up.  In particular what I read said that if you lost all of them during chemo then they would all be on the same cycle to fall out at the same time again.  But if you only lost some during chemo then some would still be on a different cycle and not all fall out at the same time.  Not sure if that is true but that's what people say on the hair forums here.  They say it takes a few times of having them all fall out again before they sort of get reset and behave normally again.

Sue Great picture!  Your hair is looking really good!

Rachel Definitely post a picture, I want to see how your hair looks!

Only 2 rads to go, I'm so excited!

• LadyinBama
    LadyinBama Member Posts: 993

Hi ladies,

Texas, I couldn't see the photo with the dark wig, but the light one looks good. Your hair growth reminds me of mine, about the same length. I have a cowlick growing into a point on top. I look like Alfalfa from the old Our Gang movies (google it, those of you who are too young!)

Cal, I've heard that eyelashes and brows can fall out 2 or 3 times before they are back for good :(

My hair, lashes and brows will all be gone again in about a week anyway so I've quit paying much attention to it. My legs need shaving, but I haven't bothered with it, figure it will fall out too.

I got the BEST treat yesterday. I had signed up with Cleaning for a Reason, and The Maids came yesterday and totally cleaned my house, down to the baseboards. It looks and smells sooooo good. I don't want to touch anything. My husband and I were debating last night whether or not to take showers and dirty it up!

This chemo is going fine so far, I've just had one. I've got to do 6, three weeks apart, so it will be mid-August before I'm finished. I'll finish this one about the same time I started by BC chemo. My only complaint so far is this weird leg pain and creepy crawly feeling in my legs. I don't notice it during the day, but when I lay down at night, it starts up and keeps me from falling asleep. I've got a call in to the onc's office. I'm going to ask for something for the leg pain and/or something to sleep. I'm tired all the time, I sure don't need to be going without my sleep.

• ckptry
    ckptry Member Posts: 333

texas I think you look cute in the first (shorter wig) but also w/ your real hair You look great, definitely redo the makeup when dh gets home. I could only find the stuff lizzy recommended online, but I' ve been using pantene smoothing creme when it's stil wet and this pomade "got2be defiant" I found at CVS for the bozo flaps over my ears and that seems to help. Luckily  it takes a minute to wet it again if it gets really crazy. I had to laugh b/c dh said for the first time ever "um, you may want to do something with your hair" when I was on my way out to run errands. Now that it's longer  I have this crazy cowlick on one side of my head that turns it into a combover. I guess he knew I wouldn't like that particular look.

sue you have a beautiful family. the daughter sitting in front of you looks just like you. Did your hair come in that color? I'll have to post a pic of my hair, just have to figure out how...

I have a new avatar b/c our computer got a virus and I lost the pic of my prechemo hair. Luckily dh had backed up most of the pics of the kids

all had someone recommended a skincare line from target?

lizzy, so glad you have faith in the new ps. Has she recommended anything different? Thanks for the hair tx recommendation. i wasn't sure what you were referring to with the skincare, but then again my memory is still shot. I was embarassed b/c my son had his 6 yr old checkup and I just couldn't remember the answers to some of the questions. He said "don't worry it will come back, hopefully not the bad memories just the good ones".

• jsw19

Carolyn I don't know if I have recommended it here before but I use Olay skincare and they sell it at Target (sometimes even on sale).  I like it a lot, the cleansers are not too harsh and the facial lotion has sunscreen in it which is important. 

I need to go to Target this week and I am actually going to stop in the haircare aisle (for the first time in months!) and check out some of the hair products.  I want to get something to help tame it once it gets a little longer.  Any suggestions from anyone?  I forgot to mention in my earlier post that last night when I got home and took off my hat my hair was sticking out all funny in the front.  I was kind of excited, it was the first time I've had "hat hair" in a long time!

• rachel5738
    rachel5738 Member Posts: 658

Jsw..I originally was using some cheapie gel but it was leaving a residue behind (not the best look!). Now I bought something called Bed Head Wax and it is sticky and helps to keep my hair not all crazy. I get hat head and wake up in the morning with bed head. I think I need it trimmed into some sort of style but don't want to go to reg hairdresser and pay so much....anyone tried those super cuts type places? I don't think my hair is at the "hairdresser" length right now!

• ckptry

rachel my hairdresser said he would come to my house and shave my head prechemo or shape my wig and help me shape it after chemo when it was in the awkward stage. It sounded like it's not as uncommon as you would think, which is sad. Maybe if you explain to your hairdresser they would give you a discount (unless you don't want them to know)? My sister takes my nephews supercuts and they have cute haircuts but they're pretty young; it probably depends on who you get. I'd ask people you know first; I'd hate to give up any hair now for a bad cut;-)

Carolyn

• IowaSue45
    IowaSue45 Member Posts: 422

ckptry- you have no idea how much she looks like me, she should have taken off those sunglasses. Thank you ladies for the compliments, us 4 girls are very close.

My hair was coming in a dark ashy color and I put a 30 day rinse on it that was called dark golden brown and that was 3 wks ago and it hasn't wash out, idk what the deal is, I do get lots of compliments on it, mostly that I look younger.

On bone and joint pain, I still have it I'm sure it is herceptin, I would love to stop it, but some of the people close to me say don't do it, if you get something back you'll wish you had done it all. IDK about that all I know is that I'm tired of it. I haven't seen onc. yet not until June. So I'm just going to keep suffering for now.

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    Sue - the herceptin sure seems like a long time.  I had number 13 today.  I am so excited that I have only 4 more.  We just gotta stick it out that's all there is to it.  I am amazed at how much my body can heal from, I had no idea.
  • jsw19

Rachel Thanks for the hair product advice, I'll look for that one at Target.  Also I used to get my hair cut at Super Cuts all the time.  I was always happy with it but I didn't get anything special, usually just a simple cut, sometimes with some layers.  

Sue I'm sorry you are struggling with the herceptin but I agree with Omaz that we have to stick it out, the docs all say that herceptin is super important for us HER2+ gals and I really believe it.  

Here are some pictures I took of my hair yesterday - top and side.

hair 050911

hairside 050911

• texasrose361

rachel i know that Great Clips is an affliate with Locks of Love (donate hair for kids with hairloss) They actually will give you a free haircut if you donate at least 10 inches to Locks of Love so maybe htey would be willing to give a once chemo patient a new do at low or no cost...

• 1WonderWoman
    1WonderWoman Member Posts: 1,796
    Good evening chemosabes and radicals:

I hope you all had a nice day. I am noticing something odd and that is on the affected arm, 3 fingers like to go numb. My thumb, index and middle like to go numb when I am doing anything repetitive. Today I was going over flashcards on the recumbent bike and they went numb. Over the weekend I started my lawnmower and used it on the side of the house and my hand went totally numb, the entire hand. Today on the treadmill it happened again. I am afraid to say anything because a neurologist might be next. Oh well...if it gets worse I am going to have to open my trap!!

I was reading NYT online (Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/05/nyregion/city-audit-finds-long-waits-for-mammograms.html?_r=1&smid=tw-nytimes&seid=auto) and found this startling statistic: '...The audit examined waiting times at nine health care facilities in the 2009 fiscal year and found that the worst were at Elmhurst Hospital Center in Queens, where women had to wait 148 calendar days for routine screening mammograms and 50 working days for diagnostic mammograms, when cancer is suspected.'

I was so stunned. When cancer *is* suspected they have to wait 50 days! I am stunned. I just signed up for the Komenforthecure walk and no wonder they want us to raise funds for more testing centers/sites. I was surprised when I read that so I wanted to do some research and, sure enough, I found that out about NY.  How scary is that? 

Omaz: Good news for you! In my research over these past few days, I found that CT and RI, the tiniest states in the union, have the *highest* incidence of breast cancer and AZ has the lowest!  You all are doing something right out there in the desert! 

How many more Herceptins do you have?

JSW: I measured my hair today and it is just over 1"...it is all so exciting! You finished up a few weeks after me, and are still on herceptin, so I am letting you know I am only a little bit ahead of you and I am already passed 1"!

Ckptry: she suggested maybe a one surgery step to just put the implants in. That seemed like something I might consider. Also, all the ladies I have met in the cancer unit speak so highly of her. I think also because she is obviously a woman, this makes a lot of difference. I am so glad I found a female PS that comes highly recommended.

On the skin care, because I don't have kids, I am not so much concerned about costs and therefore when I told you about Lancome etc... it is expensive. Same thing with Graham Webb but you really pay for what you get. I was just joking when I mentioned you might not want any more of my (high end) recommendations! At the very least I do try to point you in the right direction! BTW, one of the best things you can do for your skin and that which is terribly inexpensive is steam with fresh lemon slices once a week and then open VIt E capsules, while your pores are still opened from the steam, and apply it directly to your face, all over your face and b/c it is E, you don't have to avoid the "sensitive" eye area.

How are your kids doing? Are things getting a little easier for you? I hope you are using those PTA offers, woman!

Lady: we will be here for you every step of the way, all summer. It will go by fast, you will see. Definitely get in touch with your doc for some pain meds and something to help you sleep. I so remember that awful run-down feeling from chemo. It was terrible but I will promise you that once it is over, it is over and your energy does return. I don't feel so hot these days because of the hot flashes all night but certainly I will take the hot flashes over the alternative!

Tex: have yourself a wonderful night!   I hope you had some fun for yourself today and that which did not involve a minimum 3 hour drive!  It was so funny as a few weeks ago I was talking to my brother who was driving from Houston to Dallas and he said he had been on the road for just over 3 hours.  In response to my surprise he said "Liz, Texas isn't like freakin' CT where you can drive through the entire state in 47 minutes!!!!!"   He is such a jerk ass!   Oh, btw, the company he works for has an office in Dallas and he was going there for lunch!   He also calls his vehicle a "cowboy cadillac" which is a Ford F150!!! 

Well, I should get to bed so the hot flashes can begin! I am having the weirdest dreams...really weird! Before chemo I never remembered my dreams and now, after chemo, every night it is like some psychedelic movie! Weirdo movie...like a Tarrantino deal! I don't like it!

Good night, all-

• libraylil
    libraylil Member Posts: 325

Jaw. You are looking very fly!! My hair was just a tad longer when I went back to work topless. Mi e is almost ready for a shaping trim. Just getting a little bozo over the ears. Finished chemo in Nov. You will be ready to ditch the hats soon in the fla heat and humidity. Libraylil

• omaz
    Lizzy - I have a similar thing with my hands, was told it is part of the neuropathy from chemo.
  • texasrose361

WOW lizzy i am also shocked! you'd think in the LARGEST CITY IN AMERICA they'd get seen same day or maybe next day, but over a month!!!!

You wouldnt believe how many people drive trucks even though the gas is expensive and the drives are all long distances! I drive a small suv (vitara) Majority of people down here drive them- i think its crazy!!!!

• omaz
    jsw - I think you look very elegant and red carpet with your short hair!
  • jsw19

Aww, thanks Omaz and lil for the compliments.  I feel sort of boy-ish with the short hair (I actually also used to feel boy-ish when I would pull all my hair back from my face).  I am wondering if I should get some of those headbands with bows on them, like the ones you put on baby girls so people know they are girls!  But it is getting hot here so I have decided that tomorrow in honor of my last day of rads (yay!) I will go topless.

Lizzy That is madness to have such a long wait for a diagnostic mammo.  Mine was I believe within about a week of my initial dr. appt and my biopsy was two days after the mammo.  I have long been a supporter of the Komen organization due to my family history of BC and I am looking forward to doing a Komen walk this fall in Birmingham. 

One rad to go!  Woohoo!

• omaz
    jsw - Whoo Hooo for finishing rads!!!  How is your skin holding up, OK?
  • texasrose361

JSW- i wanna say Whoop whoop for tomorrow and go topless girl!!!! (i also felt like a boy when i pulled my hair back, i think its my face shape that made me feel like that)

So y'all had mammos b4 your biopsies???? My order went u/s, biopsy, ct scan, breast mri, then a mammo but only on the unaffected side to see if it may have a hard to detect lump

• texasrose361

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/8/topic/768805?page=1#idx_18

Hey ladies check out this post- and please sign the petition

• 1WonderWoman

Sptmm: where are you? I miss your posts and am also nervous because you should be in receipt of your galactogram results. Please post and let us know what is going on.   I really miss hearing from you and am also getting worried.

Tex: My BC-Sister, you can count on me to sign!  I will do it right now.

• 1WonderWoman
    Tex: I tried to go there but I got an error message that the page cannot be found?
  • texasrose361

okay let me get the direct petiotion link then- theres actually 2

• texasrose361

Okay back story- mom had custody of her kids, dad ends up using the mom's dx of stage 4 breast cancer to get custody. Mom is doing well right now- stable i think- she has been inthe news (good morning america i think)

this petition is to get the judge thrown out http://www.change.org/petitions/throw-north-carolina-judge-nancy-gordon-off-the-bench
    this second one is created by the womens sister to get custody back http://www.change.org/petitions/do-not-allow-nc-judge-to-take-alaina-giordanos-children-just-because-she-has-cancer

hopefully that works :)

BTW y'all know how dear my kids are to me- if for some reason someone try to take me to court to get them because of my dx iwould be devistated! y'all can see how active i am and such ther is no reason this mom should have lost custody but her judge was stupid!

• 1WonderWoman

Tex: thank you so much for following up and providing the correct links.  This is a very important issue.  Of all the awful things is for her to lose her kids in the middle of a cancer battle AND to have her dx used against her.  That is just disgusting.

Just so you know, those links are in 2 seperate windows and it just says "loading."  I will keep you posted on if I was able to get through.

• 1WonderWoman

Tex: this is what I got:

Oops! You seemed to have stumbled into a situation that we weren't expecting. How embarrassing.

We're working on it. Thanks for your patience and understanding,

The Change.org Team

I will keep trying! 

• ckptry

Yes, I've been thinking of Debbi too. I asked if she got the all clear a few days ago so I hope she's ok

Carolyn

• LadyinBama
    LadyinBama Member Posts: 993

Hi all,

I got a prescription for generic Requip for "restless legs syndrome" from the onc nurse. Don't know yet if it will help, just started it last night. Will let you know.

Today I went to the LE therapist. My arm and hand have swollen up a lot in the last month. She thinks all my surgeries (3 in Feb., 2 in March, 1 in April) have aggravated  it; she also said chemo would aggravate it; plus I tripped the other day in our garage and fell against some shelves on that side. Hurt like hell. So, she did her massage and recommended I get a compression glove (I've got the sleeve). My hand wasn't that swollen last time so we didn't get a glove. So, hopefully, in a few days or a week, it'll be better. I go back next Thursday.

JSW, looking good girl!

• 1WonderWoman
    Tex: Their servers must be down or something is going on because I still have had no success.  I will continue to try this evening and tomorrow because it is important to me to be able to sign.
  • IowaSue45
    IowaSue45 Member Posts: 422

Prayers I have Bi Lt DIEP surgery next Tue. 10-12 hr. surgery wow my nerves. I go for the cat scan and pre op appointment Fri.