Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited October 2012

YNYACPW you spend so much more time looking at new pill organizers

than you do new handbags!

(couldn't resist - just getting ready to fill my new pill organizer too! LOL)

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited October 2012

badger that is TOO funny because it is SO true!!! I actually shake out eight and take the extra as that day's dose. I used to do seven and then immediately take one. Doi!! on me..... My DH does my morning ones, 9 pills, and I have the evening ones in an organizer (another 8). It is part of his morning ritual as the water boils for tea, so I'd hate to take that away from him.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited October 2012

LOL barbe, now THAT is funny!  Sun. morning, I fill up 7 days' pills, then take Sunday's. 

I take 4 pills and do 'em all first thing in the morning: thyroid, tamox, low-dose aspirin, and a multi-vit with no iron and no iodine.

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited October 2012

badger, if you are taking the throid medication for low thyroid it should be taken separate from other meds and preferably two hours before. After years of not taking correctly I finally got the right time and directions from pharmacy, med lit and Dr.

• badger
    edited October 2012

thanks, ptdreamers, it's not low thyroid, it's no thyroid.  It went hyperactive 20 years ago and they killed it with radioactive iodine instead of surgery.  I know thyroid pill's supposed to be taken first thing in the morning, 30 mins before eating, but no one ever said don't take the other stuff with it.  Will look into it, thanks for the tip.

• schatzi14
    schatzi14 Member Posts: 906
    edited October 2012

badger...me too...two different surgeries (one each side) plus the radioactive ioidine (one side wasn't 100% removed and keeps producing nodules)...had a biopsy a year ago and it's not malignant just a royal pain!

I wasn't told not to take it with other meds but after 30 years, I was finally told to take it on an empty stomach.
    My  bloodwork is fine so I guess for me it didn't really matter.

HA...I just checked my prescription and there is a new sticker..."do not take with antacids or products containing calcium or iron within 4 hours of taking this medication"...well that is new and my pharmacist never mentioned it!!!

Who reads their meds after taking them for 35 years?? Glad you mentioned it.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 942
    edited October 2012

I think this is my first time on here, so for me YKYACPW more people have looked at your boobs in 3 months than DH has seen them in 25 years.

Blessings

Paula

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,927
    edited October 2012

Schatzi14, I take an acid blocker which is supposed to be 30 min before eating. I think I would need to take the thyroid around midnight to get the proper spacing. I take the thyroid because my antidepressants don't work without it. (why you need an experienced psych  med provider)

• schatzi14
    edited October 2012

Wren...wow sounds very complicated to me...am sure you have it down pat Wink

I probably don't take all my meds (and there are many for various things) as exactly as I should. It's hard remembering to take what and when, even when I use a doser. LOL antidepressants and antacids are 2 things I DON'T take...YET!

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited October 2012

wren, how is your sleep? I found out that synthroid can cause insomnia. So now I take it when I get to use bathroom usually 3 or 4 AM and it doesn't interfere much with sleep. Still gives me several hours before I take other meds.

• wren44
    edited October 2012

Ptdreamers, I take trazodone for help with sleep. It's a really old antidepressant that's not much good for depression but makes people sleepy. It's not addictive and I don't have a hangover in the morning. My synthroid dose isn't high enough to cause a problem, but I take Wellbutrin which does keep you awake--hence he trazodone.

• ohiobecky
    ohiobecky Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2012

When you feel a sense of pride that you have made it through chemo without knocking over your IV pole. Ah, crap. I still have Herceptin till April. I probably just jinxed myself.

• fredntan
    fredntan Member Posts: 237
    edited October 2012

When after you have recon, you meet a total stranger in your hotel who is having same sx. And of course i have to show off my boobs

• Terry71
    Terry71 Member Posts: 108
    edited October 2012

ROFL, omg these are all way too funny........... Have to show my friend and cousin who are both dealing with BC now, Andrea just diagnosed nothing started yet and Ronda ( cousin) who is heading into her 4th treatment monday.... 

• mom2twins34
    mom2twins34 Member Posts: 19
    edited October 2012

Oh my goodness, this is still one of my favorite places to come when I'm having a bad day!  You are all hilarious!

This may have already been done before (in honor of pinktober), but if your chemobrain is anything like mine, you have already forgotten! Lol! So...

YKYACP when every well-meaning person who knows you are a cancer patient feels the need to show you ALL of the pink ribbon products they've purchased "to help you" -- including their garbage can!

...when you see a pretty scarf and want to get it for the  "next time" you are bald.

...when you've had hair for a while, but the first thing your nephew asks whenever he sees you is if you are wearing your "real hair" today.   :)

Thanks for the laughs!  xo

• ALittleBitBritish
    ALittleBitBritish Member Posts: 415
    edited October 2012

YKYACP when your medical providers compliment you on how fast you can take your top off, but you know you only perfected this 'speed' undressing since getting your diagnosis!

• badger
    edited November 2012

YKYACP when the EOB's and bills are coming in so fast you can't keep 'em all straight.

(I know I owe $75 for a trip to the ER..... did I misplace the bill or has it not come yet?)

#^%*!  Yell 

• mom2twins34
    mom2twins34 Member Posts: 19
    edited November 2012

YKYACP when you can't remember the last time you felt good.

YKYACP when your doctor thinks you aren't taking "enough" oxycodone?!

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879
    edited November 2012

mom2twins34 - I hope that you can soon start to feel better again. I can't imagine a dr wanting you to take more oxy.

YKYACP when you start cancelling your dr appts that aren't high on the priority list because you are tired of having so many.

• barbe1958
    edited November 2012

YKYACP you pull out your healh card more in a month than your VISA or debit card!!!

mom2twins, if you don't get "on top" of pain, then no matter what you take, it won't help. You have to take enough meds to get the pain under control and then you can coast on less meds. Trust me on this one! I've become a pain expert for my back issues....sigh.

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864
    edited November 2012

When your period completely surprises you because your "early warning system" has recently been removed.

(Never even occurred to me. No more monthly sore chest.)

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited November 2012

Nothing funny to say but I am stage III - and I know I am a patient when people treat you like a non human and see no reason to attend to you as a feeling soul........and when I panic if people arrive unexpectedly in the morning before I am dressed with a blob to make me look more normal...(I hate the breast forms, trades descriptions would have a field day with some of this so called pretend "breasts" - from a sindy Doll maybe)

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited November 2012

Lily55, Please don't feel like you have to be funny to post here. I am sorry for the way people are treating you. There are lots of compassionate hearts here at BCO and we are happy to listen. Sending hugs to you.

• ohio4me
    ohio4me Member Posts: 323
    edited November 2012

Lily - unexpected visitors get me as I am, usually still in my jammies. In my own home, I get my own way. Usually the people that drop by are those that care the most about you and not about your chest. Take care of you first. When you begin feeling better you can start caring about what others think :).

• barbe1958
    edited November 2012

If I haven't invited anyone over I don't answer the door. Period. If there isn't a floor van out front you won't see my face!

• wren44
    edited November 2012

What's a floor van?

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    edited November 2012

Sealed I assumed she meant flower van....

• schatzi14
    edited November 2012

I didn't get that either. I concur with not answering the door...

• barbe1958
    edited November 2012

Yep, flower van!!!

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited November 2012

You know you're a cancer patient (and are on BC.org a lot!) when you looked at the date (11/27) and thought it was referring to lymph nodes.