Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• waitingtoexhale_26
    waitingtoexhale_26 Member Posts: 13
    edited December 2012

hi Paula not sure how old you are but it was back in 1972 when I met my husband.at that time I worked at Dons drive-in on Main Street in Reynoldsburg . we met at Pandora's Box right across the street from there lol. I have an aunt that lives in Gahanna .and I used to live in Johnstown Ohio .I graduated from Johnstown high school . my thoughts will be with you tomorrow and my prayers . the most important advice I can give you is take a big bottle of water with you . drink as much water as you can throughout this whole process ....I'm talking 8 to 10 glasses of water a day . especially if you're going to be taking taxol ....this medicine has been known to cause your fingernails and toenails to fall off . the water will help flush your system of all the toxins . not sure what they're giving you but 1 of the medicine they gave me was the red devil .....and it made me pee red . also remember this ....you go get your treatment ...and when you are finished and walk out that door that first day is gone its history ...put it out of your mind .do this each and every time . I didn't get sick with chemo and I think part of it was because I drink a lot of water always have . if you can get you a good water filter that would even be better . the best water to buy is Fiji water ....it has a fairly high pH .you can buy it at Walmart . keeping your body alkaline is very important and this water will help you do just that . and remember sis all of us here are holding your hand during this time ....hugs Callie

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 942
    edited December 2012

Callie~I'm 62 this past Nov. I grew up in the southside. I graduated from South High School in 1969.

I had an MRI in Gahanna this morning at the corner of Johnstown & Hamilton roads.

I bought a lot of flavored waters to drink, plus we have a Brita filter. It makes sense that drinking a lot would flush the toxins.

It's great to meet a hometowner on here.

Blessings

Paula

• mebmarj
    mebmarj Member Posts: 143
    edited December 2012

YKYACPW you do notice the doorags and sunglasses and want to pass on the good will people gave you...The last time I approached someone with a doorag and sunglasses... Outside the pharmacy, I said "I like your doorag." Reply was "oh, you probably think I'm a cancer patient." "Ah, well I've been there." "No, I actually have severe alopecia and it was a big step to just shave it and go like this." So I replied "well good luck to you!" Gosh, that was so odd but eh, I wished her well! Dang cancer makes you think the worst doesn't it?

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited December 2012

WOW! I didn`t think head wraps were called doorags!!! Here in Canada, a doorag is worn by a gang member (or racial group) and it`s colours show status. So when a bar or pub say `No Colours`it means you can`t wear your marked doorag in the establishment! I thought head wraps were a lot classier than doorags!

• mebmarj
    mebmarj Member Posts: 143
    edited December 2012

Just a bandana is a doorag to me. I've seen the specially cut ones that fit on the head and tie at the neck in back. Not once had anyone challenged me to take it off either time I had to wear them for the cancer but they probably guessed what was going on too.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,927
    edited December 2012

I see the terms used interchangeably. I've never seen a sign forbidding colors, but I try to stay out of places where gang members congregate. I've never been able to keep a head wrap on. Good thing I was able to skip chemo.

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited December 2012

The biggest weekend of the year here is the Harley Owners Festival.  If there ever an gang members in the thousands that come to town they aren't noticeable.  The riders come from all walks of life, doctors, lawyers, factory workers and shopkeepers - anyone who likes riding cycles.  All of them dress in their leathers and sport doo rags.  By far the majority of our residents enjoy and look forward to that weekend!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited December 2012

memarj, you wouldn`t be challenged to take off a doorag as I`m sure you don`t look like a gang member!!!! I`m talking about a rough side of town where they want to avoid fights in a bar! hehehehehehee

Motorcycle gangs often give a LOT to a community!!! Special gatherings and RIDES are most appreciated. We have a RIDE for Sight here in Toronto that raises HUGE amounts of money!!!

I`m talking about gangs that KILL each other. Not the respectful members of CLUBS.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 942
    edited December 2012

Typically bikers call theirs Skull Caps. They are a little different from Doo rags.

Many of the Biker Clubs do great things for the community. Here in Central Ohio they do a toy drive every year for disadvantaged kids.

Barb~I know what you mean by those in the inner city just looking for trouble. If you wear the wrong color onn your head it could get you shot, stabbed, or beaten. SAD!!!

Blessings

Paula

• SheChirple
    SheChirple Member Posts: 95
    edited December 2012

YKYABCPW : the cleaning crew comes into your hospital room and you start opening your gown for the inevitable inspection (followed by immediate embarassment of course)

YKYABCPW : you run to the grocery store for something unexpected on your non-public days and suddenly realize you left your prosthetic at home and you are DD on one side and flat on the other, and that tight Tshirt REALLY emphasizes it.....DOH

I love this thread................

• kyliet
    kyliet Member Posts: 587
    edited December 2012

YKNYA Both Cps when you are trying to write down websites with another BCer and you both remember half.

• fredntan
    fredntan Member Posts: 237
    edited December 2012

YKYABCP when on that first bx, you ask for couple of valium and they give you a month supply! That was big red flag for me

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited December 2012

YKYACP when you're staring at your hand-held mirror, thinking "Why the $&#* isn't this thing working?"

And then you realize that you're looking at the back side of it.....Undecided

• rockym
    rockym Member Posts: 382
    edited December 2012

Blessings, now that's funny!  Sounds like one of my days :-).

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited January 2013

YKYACP when you've traded Playtex Living bras for Playtex Living gloves.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited January 2013

Good one Badger....

• badger
    edited January 2013

thanks MostlySew, I started using the gloves during chemo and never got out of the habit.

I thought I was turning into my mother, but apparently it's my grandmother!  Laughing now where's my apron?

• MostlySew
    edited January 2013

Badger....so don't tell me you're going to wear high heels with the gloves and apron!

• badger
    edited January 2013

MostlySew, no way can I wear high heels, but I do have a set of pearls.  Is that too much?

I don't own one but many do - Spanx - it's a girdle!  Sealed

• MostlySew
    edited January 2013

Giggle giggle, Badger.....yes, the pearls will substitute just nicely. The whole outfit is just perfect! Oh...don't forget the lipstick while wearing your living gloves, apron, pearls and spanx.......

• julz4
    julz4 Member Posts: 1,373
    edited January 2013

ROTF!!!!! Badger too Funny! Your middle name wouldn't happen to be "JUNE" ...... or perhaps your called " AUNT BEE" !!!!

• badger
    edited January 2013

LOL julz, how about "Ain't Bee" like they said it on Mayberry?

MostlySew, lipstick of course, in a deep dark shade of red!

But let's skip the girdle, that just leads to stockings.  Wink

YKYACP when you go to wash your face in the morning but forget to remove your glasses first.  Those suckers are CLEAN now!

• cowpower
    cowpower Member Posts: 91
    edited January 2013

Badger, too funny, I would never have dreamed of using gloves before chemo. Now i am angry they wont go over my lymphedema bandages. Never satisfied...

• badger
    edited January 2013

cowpower, I also wish they made an XL size.  Hard to fit into the "large" ones.

YKYACP when you notice your upper eyelashes are shorter than the lower ones.

They also have no curl.  Stick straight out.  Stubby little things.  TG for glasses!

• Bluebird-DE
    Bluebird-DE Member Posts: 1,233
    edited January 2013

YKYACPW you've been to the place 3 x and still have to look at map on google, write a sketch to get there and get lost anyway.  Don't know what Hubby's excuse is though.

YKYACPW your front filling falls out and you say what the hell and get out the duct tape.  (But I got a grip and went to the dentist.)

LOVEEssa

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,927
    edited January 2013

Cowpower & Badger, I found huge gloves at a store that caters to restaurants and snack bars. I enjoy looking thru it to see what they stock.

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited January 2013

Thanks for the much needed laugh, MadBluebird.

• badger
    edited January 2013

YKYABCP when your husband's boobs are bigger than yours.

(Too bad I gave away my bras, he needs one.  Not attractive! blechTongue Out)

• Yawls
    Yawls Member Posts: 16
    edited January 2013

Ykyaacpw you can convince your dh that the doctor really told you that walking was bad for radiation patients. I came clean the next day and resumed the walks...but he totally bought it and left me cozy on the couch for one night!

• carolgs
    carolgs Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013

YKYABCP when you dig out the 25 year old photo of yourself on a topless beach so you can say "hi" to your nipples.