Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited February 2013

Again, 1/2 inch of hair but going commando with big earrings, lots of eye make-up, girly clothes, etc.  I was in the public bathroom at work, standing at the sink washing my hands.  A lady walked in and looked at me, then walked out, looked at the sign on the door, and walked back in.  

I laughed myself silly all afternoon.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited February 2013

Ykyacp when you automatically put the gown on opening in front, and the gal about to do an ultra sound on your abdomen says sweetly.....oh, you can have that gown opening in back!

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited February 2013

When a woman in a wheelchair is blabbing on and on about how it's a good idea to keep your hair buzzed, it's sooooo hot in Florida.

I said its chemo hair.

In a very small quiet voice I heard, oh.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited February 2013

Spookiesmom, I can HEAR that small quiet oh.

sbelizabeth, classic double take, I can SEE it.  That's gonna make me smile for a while.

Thanks everyone for sharing, this is such a great thread!

• stride
    stride Member Posts: 151
    edited February 2013

YKYACPW you walk into the changing room after radiation, close the door, stand there trying to figure out why it is so dark, and then remember the room is equipped with a light switch.

YKYACPW you remember to take the moisturizer out of your purse, apply it, put the bottle back in your purse, put the purse over your arm, open the door to leave, wonder why you feel a draft, and realize your shirt is in the locker room down the hall.

YKYACPW you nonetheless feel proud you remembered the moisturizer. And the purse.

• shianne29
    shianne29 Member Posts: 282
    edited February 2013

Mostlysew that just happened to me today!! Lol I was at my set up appt for rads and automatically put it on opening in front. Then they told me to change it, instead of going back to change room I just switched it!!! No shame after what we go thru

YKYACP when you're constantly pulling up your pants because they feel like they are "drooping" due to numb tummy from diep!!

• badger
    edited February 2013

YKYACP when a health history form asks if you've had an illness, operation, or been hospitalized in the past five years, and there's not enough room to list it all. 

Same thing for the space allotted to List all medicines, drugs or pills. 

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited February 2013

Badger.....yep!

• fredntan
    fredntan Member Posts: 237
    edited February 2013

Thats a good one.

I had massage a few months ago and i made mess of the questionaire. Lol

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited February 2013

Stride, that gave me a chuckle. You should feel proud for remembering your purse. Good job! ;)

• badger
    edited March 2013

YKYACP when you LOL when your friend tells her newly-dx mother (who's known for a hairy upper lip and who's afraid of losing her hair to chemo), "Don't worry mom, we'll get you a wig and a fake mustache!"

• schatzi14
    schatzi14 Member Posts: 906
    edited March 2013

Cruel but FUNNY!   LOL

• badger
    edited March 2013

schatzi, it wasn't said in a cruel way and it wasn't taken as such but I can see your point.  Guess you had to be there, the context is missing.  But it was funny and we were all laughing.  Broke the tension too.

• schatzi14
    schatzi14 Member Posts: 906
    edited March 2013

Oh I can imagine...I find it funny too...as long as her Mom wasn't offended. I am sure she is used to it, some things are just funny no matter what. That was said with love...makes a difference.

When I said "cruel" I was kidding, not scolding. After my chemo was done and hair started growing back, my DD said "Mom you need to be waxed, you have a billy goat!"  Funny thing I hadn't noticed but she was right. I found it was a common thing and some of us just shaved it off. Took 3 times but it's gone. Whew

• shianne29
    edited March 2013

Omg, I'm laughing so hard. I started re-reading from page 1.

Too funny!!!

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited March 2013
  • badger
    edited March 2013

Blessings, that was GREAT!  Laughing

• saskie
    saskie Member Posts: 71
    edited March 2013

Thanks blessings that definitely made me chuckle  - Oh how true it is.  I just use the chemotard excuse these days whether thats what it is or not!!

• rockym
    rockym Member Posts: 382
    edited March 2013

Blessings, very funny!  Thanks for sharing.

• julz4
    julz4 Member Posts: 1,373
    edited March 2013

Badger I filled out a notebook page for all my surgeries & procedures that required being put under or twilight. At that point before BC surgery none of those had to do with BC! I started at age 4-5 with ear tubes! After 20 surgeries I made it to the Breast! Sheesh! Too much & I sure hope I'm done!

Blessings LOL my memories are...., ooopsss I forgot what I was gonna write! ; )-

• Ladyhoo
    Ladyhoo Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2013

...When your child writes for her school project, "my mom goes to the hospital every day and buys People magazine."

...when the info desk takes one look at you and stamps your parking ticket without asking if you had an appointment.

I love this thread!! I have laughed out loud, thanks.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited March 2013

YKYACPW your DH goes into your purse for your phone and pulls out a dark brown bottle and aks "What the heck is this???" You tell him it's the dye for your next CT scan. It then sits on the kitchen counter until needed. Who else would keep nuclear junk hanging around but a breast cancer lady?

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879
    edited March 2013

Barbe - they give you the dye to bring home? I always get mine when I go for the CT. Do you injest/inject it before you go or take it with you?

• barbe1958
    edited March 2013

It's just the stuff to mix into liquid and drink the day before.

• Ossa
    Ossa Member Posts: 685
    edited March 2013

When you go away for a few days and your med bag is bigger than your clothes bag

When you go through security and they ask why you wear a glove on one hand.

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879
    edited March 2013

Thanks Barbe - have not heard of doing it that way before.

• shianne29
    edited March 2013

YKYACP when a stranger stops you and asks "how long did it take to get your hair that long". As she pulls her scarf of revealing the 'white down'. And you make a connection, right away. Exchange numbers and just know THAT lunch date WILL happen!

PS my hair is maybe a quarter inch!!! Not even to the chemo curl stage

• barbe1958
    edited March 2013

Barsco, it's Gastrofen or something like that. Dark brown bottle.

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484
    edited March 2013

Barbe - Gastrografin but that's just a guess from your post?  Never had it and foggy old nurse brain.

• badger
    edited March 2013

YKYACP when you log on to BCO and immediately log out when you click the "log out" button, thinking it's the "log in" button, because apparently you forgot you just freakin' logged in 5 seconds ago. Yell

(Ladyhoo, sorry about no-questions-asked parking validation but LOL at the way you told it.)