Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• kslansky
    kslansky Member Posts: 112
    edited April 2013

Pat,

LOL! So sorry you have to be here but glad you found us!

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    edited April 2013

YKYACP when you see someone who is wearing a hat and you automatically think:  breast cancer AND you go up to talk to them as if they are an old friend when actually you've never met before AND they react as if they are an old friend even though you've never met before.

• indenial
    indenial Member Posts: 125
    edited April 2013

YKYACPW you're "brushing" your mangy "hair" with a lint roller and tell your husband that it looks like you have some horrible disease and he stares at you and says, "Well, you do have a horrible disease."

YKYACPW you are so directionally challenged that you can barely drive to the gas station down the street but you know exactly how to get to the hospital -- from 6 different directions!

• jen987
    jen987 Member Posts: 14
    edited April 2013

Indenial: After my husband buzzed my hair I looked in the mirror and said "Wow I look like a cancer patient" and he responded with "I hate to tell you this, but you are." We had a good laugh. Gotta love our hubbies. I'm sure all of this is really difficult on them but they try to be strong for us so we don't fall apart. Laughter is the best medicine.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909
    edited April 2013

YKYAACPW someone says "tell me about your cancer" and you proceed to read him the riot act that

1.  It is not "MY" cancer.

2.  I did not go out and get it, it didn't even want it.

3.  I am not getting anything good out of it.

4.  You are making a living off treating people with cancer, including, unfortunately, me.

5.  So, do you want me to tell you about YOUR cancer?  You're the one benefitting from it. 

• placid44
    placid44 Member Posts: 179
    edited April 2013

YKYACPW you realize you left your diagnostic imaging films in the car on a hot August day and worry that they have melted...which would mean they couldn't do your SNB the next day...which would mean they couldn't start chemo next week even though "you have to start chemo right away" and you can see your breasts changing each morning before your eyes. Good news: films do not melt. And a very organized surgeon's office and vacationing docs means a free OR for SNB and I get to start chemo 8 days after diagnosis.

• placid44
    edited April 2013

YKYACPW an acquaintance tells you "your life will be back to normal soon" and you want to smack them, but your RO tells you "your life will be back to normal by the 4th of July" and you want to hug her.

• placid44
    edited April 2013

YKYACPW a social worker asks you whether there is anything you need. Weird.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited April 2013

Oh that's great!!! I need to remember that!!!

• jen987
    jen987 Member Posts: 14
    edited April 2013

YKYACPW You can wear lip gloss on windy day because you know your hair won't stick in it. This happened to me the first day I buzzed my hair and I ventured out to the grocery on one of the windiest days ever. What a sight it was seeing me push a full grocery cart with one hand while holding my hat on with the other. I was praying my hat wouldn't blow off. At least my lips looked good. LOL

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited May 2013

when you can't remember who ordered what size shirts for the Komen walk and have to convince a friend to wear a large.  Ooops!  Chemo brain.  LOL!!! 

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited May 2013

YKYACPW. You can keep the schedule for your kids in your head for the upcoming week and rattle it off, but when it comes your own appointments you THINK you know them, but are happy the reminders come to correct you. Then you screw them up anyway!

I missed a Look Good Feel Better I had scheduled a few weeks ago!

Last night DH says, "anything in the calendar for the kids". . Pause, oh crap! Not for the kids, I was supposed to be at Look Good Feel Better at 5:00, it's 5:20!

Thankfully when I arrived at 5:55 they were gracious enough to stay (they were packed up to leave!)

And I can't even claim chemo brain yet...I'm in trouble!

• Ossa
    Ossa Member Posts: 685
    edited May 2013

YKYACPW.. your home business get audited for payroll, you worry about what you have done, omly to find out you paid an invoice twice.. oops, but getting $4000 back  woohoo

• Pattysmiles
    edited May 2013

Wow Ossa, that's a great audit! Woo hoo!

• fujiimama
    fujiimama Member Posts: 236
    edited May 2013

Ykyacpw- your dh has to take the kids with him to a dr appt an he comes back astonished at the way the kids know every step if the process

Your 5 year old is looking at mri images with you on the internet just for fun.

Your kids know their way around town according to medical buildings.

You spend 4 hours going from pt,scan,treatment,gyn annual,and back again never leaving the block. I actually managed to pull this off last week. Made it to 5 appts. In a one block radius.

• jocanuck1951
    jocanuck1951 Member Posts: 214
    edited May 2013

Fujiimama......is that a record?? Lol, Jo

• fujiimama
    fujiimama Member Posts: 236
    edited May 2013

Jo lol :) when you see how slow I can go...it'd better be a record for something.

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879
    edited May 2013

fuji - impressed that you actually made it to so many appts in 4 hrs. I am lucky to get in and out of my onc appt at the clinic in that time. Geez

• shianne29
    shianne29 Member Posts: 282
    edited May 2013

Barsco I was thinking the same about my RO!!!!

• phgraham
    phgraham Member Posts: 909
    edited May 2013

fuji - great job of organization and stamina!  Did you have to thump anyone to stay on schedule?

I'm not sure where to post this but it's been bugging me for a few days.  I hope no one is offended.

I made an appt with a counselor to talk about my recurrence and all of the "issues" associated with that.  Made the appt through my employer's program and vendor ComPsych.  I filled out an 8 page questionnaire before the appt.  The counselor spent the WHOLE hour asking me the same questions and typing it into her computer.  WTH!! 

The breaking point came when she said, very ernestly, "I believe God sends me people that I can help.  He puts them on path to me."  Being a cancer patient undergoing second chemo regimen in a year, out of my mouth flies "I HOPE you're not going to tell me God gave me cancer so that I could meet you!"

I mean really....ComPsych referred me.  I got to her because of a contract her office has with them.  Don't misunderstand, I have no problem if she's Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, but that comment was too much for me.  I had so many questions after that....Well, does that mean that ALL of your patients are cured?  How do you get a contract with God?  etc.

I am a BAD person.  Lightning should strike me.  Amen

• sciencegal
    sciencegal Member Posts: 546
    edited May 2013

ykyacpw- a breast pad happily floats away in the pool!

LOL

We just gotta laugh, right?

Funnily enough my pads are on my "natural side" because my tissue expander is huge! Trying to even the girls up a bit.

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited May 2013

Dear Phyllis, I believe that may be an indication that that counsellor is in the wrong job. (Can I hear you say"No kidding" Foot in Mouth?) I believe with my whole heart, body and soul that there is a loving God who helps us with inumerable graces. I do NOT believe that God gives us cancer. I do believe that when we are in need of help he will send us help in so many ways, including sending good people into our lives.

Hmmmm. You did do a good thing showing that counsellor what a remark like that sounds like from your perspective.....because it sounds like she needs serious help to be a better counsellor.....

I have to say that I would find the typing and looking at a computer screen really off-putting. This person is supposed to be listening to you. They should show with their body and their speech that they are listening - asking the same questions might be because she was so busy typing and paying attention to the screen. I wouldn't mind a few discreet notes made with pen and paper while giving you full focussed attention. She could then type these up at her discretion.

Any possibilty you could ask God and your employment service for a better counsellor?

Love Susanna

• phgraham
    edited May 2013

Susannah, I did just that! Thanks for your perspective. Appreciate it!

• Beatmon
    Beatmon Member Posts: 617
    edited May 2013

Phyllis: my daughter just went through 3 people in worse shape then herself before finding a reasonable counselor.....( she wasn't dealing with bc) crazy! Good luck and hang in there, the right person is out there.

• Pattysmiles
    edited May 2013

Phyllis, maybe when you find the new counselor you should go back and refer the old one to her!

Wishing you the best.

Pat

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited May 2013

Susanna, Phyllis's therapist was asking the same questions and typing in the answers so she wouldn't have to enter the questionnaire responses on her OWN time!! It wasn't that she wasn't paying attention, it's that she was a lazy pig!!  I have met MANY counsellors/therapists etc that use ME for their own psych journeys!! I had one guy that showed me pictures of his car accident that he was lucky to get out alive with! Like, sorry, but I don't care!!!!

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited May 2013

YKYACPW you're talking to your sister on the phone (that's biological sister as well as BC sister!) and she says she has to go because she has an appt in an hour. So you start to commiserate with her and then she says it's fine, this is an appt for a manicure and pedicure!

Leah

• jocanuck1951
    jocanuck1951 Member Posts: 214
    edited May 2013

Phyllis, there's something to be said about lightning and the hand of God....one and the same...lol! That counselor needs more gratitude with THAT attitude! Xoxox Jo

• shianne29
    shianne29 Member Posts: 282
    edited May 2013

Phyllis obviously no one was offended lol, (lightening the mood?). Barbe said it best ... Lazy pig!!! I hope you find the counsellor that helps. This is not one I'd go back too lol

Sciencegal... I just bought walmart specials to "fill" my bathing suit out, ummmm ya, not wearing it in the pool now!!

• phgraham
    edited May 2013

lazy pig! But ernest.