Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited May 2013

This joke was told to me today from my son, as I was telling him some of the jokes here.

The prelude is....he will sometimes find one of my hairs in his breakfast. So I tell him he won the prize for finding my hair. This was Prior to chemo.

YKYACPW your son has changed the rules of "the hair game" to be "whoever gets the MOST hair in their breakfast wins". (When chemo hair starts to happen)

I love his sense of humor!

Pat

• kslansky
    kslansky Member Posts: 112
    edited May 2013

LOL! God bless him for having such a great sense of humor!

The hardest part of this journey for my youngest son was losing my hair.

Hoping for minimal SE' s for you!

• Pattysmiles
    edited May 2013

Kslansky, must be the age? This son is 14 and we finally had some alone time today as I took him to get braces and then to lunch. I have been very open about what is going on and what to expect. I asked how he is coping and he said that he knows I've been honest, appreciates my openness and loves that I can joke about it, so he is at ease. Thats when I told him about this site and he thought of that joke.

My daughter, who is 10, cannot appreciate the humor...one day I am sure she will. I mention hair falling out and she bursts into tears. Kids are funny, gotta love them!

Pat

• rockym
    rockym Member Posts: 382
    edited May 2013

YKYACP when you are reading these posts and remembering when your then 9 year old daughter helped buzz your hair before chemo, your 13 year old son sometimes picked which wig you wore (I had one blonde and one brownish/red) and you're just so damn thankful you now have a nice hairstyle and shoulder length hair! :-)

• Pattysmiles
    edited May 2013

Rockymom, wish there was a like button!

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited May 2013

One of the HARDEST things that happened to me last year was when my 7 yo GS asked me why I didn't have any hair.

I told him I was sick, and the Dr said I had to take special medicine

When he left, I cried.

So now I have chemo curls, he will be 8 next week, and all is right in his world.

• fujiimama
    fujiimama Member Posts: 236
    edited May 2013

Ykyacp when you have a oc appt. With the arnp and take a two year old with you and staff adored him. All I could think was that he's 2 yr 6 mo. My first rounds were in the same office two years ago. He was 6mo when I had my first chemo.

He plays with my chemo curly hair. I've been bald most of his memorable life.

• flopsy
    flopsy Member Posts: 43
    edited May 2013

YKYACPW-you go to the grocery and bend over and another man in another aisle looks down your shirt with a confused look on his face(bilat mast with no recon and not wearing bra or forms). The joke was on him-Haha!!

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879
    edited May 2013

haha flopsy - Not quite what he had bargained for!

• julz4
    julz4 Member Posts: 1,373
    edited May 2013

Serves him right for coppin a looky! He he he!

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    edited May 2013

I've not been to this thread in ages, it's a keeper.  Great stories ladies.

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894
    edited June 2013

Hi folks dropping in with some links that you might find useful. Store away to pass around:) sassy

Someone mentioned CancerandCareers on the financial forum. GREAT web site for all things employment Thanks. I added it to my thread for newbies Just diagnosed -get prepared. Also, found another web site today, that I have included the link for, it is evrything you would like to know about saving money on drugs. The question and answer below the links are in regard on how to make the system work for you re: meds received in a cancer center.

Edit:6/6/13 Found two new web sites that are a must to review. One is on saving money on drugs. Start with 'home" page , then the really helpful page is the "About Us" Pg. Link is to home pge.

www.needymeds.org/index.htm 

This next link is dedicated to most of the need to know info regarding work and cancer. BCO has much information on the main borad, but this link is much more expansive :)

www.cancerandcareers.org/en 

HAVE A CALL OUT TO MY RESOURCE PERSON:If you bring in the coupon taken from the web site to the cancer center, will/can  it be utilized to help pay copay ANSWER to question NO.

Per my resource: This is how to make the website work or other resources work for you while receiving cancer meds in a cancer center, SPEAK UP and let them know you need financial help, best to do when you have initial contact with CC. What they then do, if they are connected like mine, they go through their resources the same we would, but would be contacting as a a provider. Grant money or assistance can be available under all kinds of circumstances. Do not assume you make too much money or b/c you have insurance, money is not available. If say you get turned down initially, recheckin should circumstances change. :)

• november
    november Member Posts: 12
    edited June 2013

ykyacp-when you catch yourself scratching your mastectomy scars in public or during meetings at work and don't even care who saw you 

• Ossa
    Ossa Member Posts: 685
    edited June 2013

YKYACP-when you watch baseball and they how the score for NY Mets and your mind goes there.. Why would they call a team mets??? crazy hey (I know it is shortened but still)

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879
    edited June 2013

Ossa - the first time I read someone on fb cheering "Go Mets" (after dx of course) my stomach did a bit of a flip. Weird huh?

• fujiimama
    fujiimama Member Posts: 236
    edited June 2013

How about met life commercials. "MetLife" Oxymoron at it's best. Progressive insurance?

Once while nauseous during chemo I could have sworn the were advertising for the Gerber throw up plan I had to quit watching cartoons for a while.

• phgraham
    phgraham Member Posts: 909
    edited June 2013

Lol, Fuji!

• sciencegal
    sciencegal Member Posts: 546
    edited June 2013

ykyacpw you find yourself constantly adjusting and mindlessly patting clothing to make sure everything is covered in sumertime becuse you cant feel where your sundress is riding on your numb post-surgery side!

Keep 'em coming ladies, always amusing. We just gotta laugh.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 942
    edited June 2013

YKYACPW~~You catch yourself talking to family, friends, strangers, and using terms like.....Mets, DH, rads, onc, Her2- or +, AC, or BCO. People are like, Huh?

YKYACPW~~You go out in public and are constantly checking to see that your fake boob is balanced with your real one.

I don't post on here much, but I do read, and these abbreviations have been on my mind all week. I constantly catch myself using them when talking to family.

Blessings

Paula

• julz4
    julz4 Member Posts: 1,373
    edited June 2013

YKYAbreastCPW....your coming out of the counsiling office of your child to the waiting room. You bump the door into a lady on the other side of the door & see a sleeve on her arm knowing instantly she has Lymphadema from BC! 

She was a 15 year survivor & I only a year!  I came away with a 2 minute encounter of wellness & calm that didn't cost a dime!  Instant recognition in one bump!

• lauri
    lauri Member Posts: 59
    edited July 2013

Bumping this up to the top for anybody who needs a good laugh

• shianne29
    shianne29 Member Posts: 282
    edited July 2013

Ykyacpw you meet 7 BCO sisters for the first time and can't wait to show you new girls off

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909
    edited July 2013

YEAH!

• rockym
    rockym Member Posts: 382
    edited July 2013

YKYACP when you use your kinesotape to tape up your boob with lymphadema and think how this stuff would have been great to use as a strapless bra when your boobs were younger before cancer.  Maybe I'll use it for my almost teen daughter when she is older to get my $$ worth!

• indenial
    indenial Member Posts: 125
    edited July 2013

YKYACP when instead of playing "action figures" your child plays "cancer cells getting killed by chemo"

• graceb1
    graceb1 Member Posts: 56
    edited July 2013

YKYACP when you're trying to get the fur babies fur off of the quilt you entered into the state fair and realize that you're shedding more hair onto the quilt than you're getting off. Should have worn a hair net to cover the remaining wisps. I've got a friend to stand in line for me to deliver it but I hope that there'll be a day when I feel good enough to go see it hang in person. And yes, the quilt was done before I knew I had BC. I don't have enough brain cells left now to do that complicated of a quilt.

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    edited July 2013

GraceB1 - would you post a picture of your quilt?  We'd love to see it - also there's a sewing/quilting/crafting thread calleld (I think) stitching together the pieces (or something like that).  If you haven't checked it out, yet, you may want to.  :)

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited August 2013

YKYACP when there's a blood drive but they don't want your blood and you can't blame them.

• fredntan
    fredntan Member Posts: 237
    edited August 2013

when you have enough hair to wear it in pigtails. my hairdressor says I am too old for them. i dont listen

• Michele2013
    Michele2013 Member Posts: 232
    edited August 2013

Love love love it!!!! You can bet I will wear my hair in pigtails someday....