Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• fredntan
    fredntan Member Posts: 237
    edited March 2013

when you use your BC card to get discounts on other stuff and it works.  "But I had BC you got discount for that-why yes we do"

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited March 2013

Good going Fran! I tried to get a pink Dyson vacuum when I was first diagnosed, but they wouldn't budge...sigh.

Goats, yep Gastrografin!

• Annette47
    Annette47 Member Posts: 108
    edited March 2013

When you look at your shopping list, trying to decipher your scribbled handwriting and "rad onc" comes to mind before "red onion"

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited March 2013

When you add a prayer before sleep for several of your BC sisters that are having a rough time right now.

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879
    edited March 2013

Annette - rad onc - lol

Mumito - And saddened at how the list continues to grow.

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited March 2013

This isn't a funny one, but...

YKYACP when the Internet support forum you belong to (BCO) had 118,000 members when you joined in 2011... and just a year and a half later has grown to over 128,000 members.

Smile Happy we have each other...

Cry Sad there are so many new sisters every day...

• dmorgan41
    dmorgan41 Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2013

Thank you for having a great sense of humor. We all been through hell with this terrible killer disease and the sickening effects of chemotherapy and radiation. Laughing is the best medicine of all. It will be two years for myself as a breast cancer survivor. I'm reading all these posts and I too have made some jokes about the side effects of chemo. Thank you again for the laughter that we as patients and survivors need to get through the tough times.

God Bless!

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited March 2013

Dmorgan? How can you be DCIS stage2? My understanding is that DCIS can't be anything but stage 0 and with micro-invasion, stage 1 at most. Did you also have IDC but did not put that in your signature? Just curious!

These are absolutely hysterical. I have read quite a few and have laughed through my tears. Thanks so much for this thread!

• shianne29
    shianne29 Member Posts: 282
    edited March 2013

YKYACP when you don't think twice about telling off someone for staring at your lad head

When you are constantly looking for ways to dress the "girls" up to shock, surprise, humour your drs. My sis in law has a lingerie business, I bought nipple covers that are little mini plungers, going to put them on for my RO appt Tuesday :-D bet he's never seen that before!!!!

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited March 2013

God these are funny! Been laughing since Alaina's post on first page!

Mine: When you open the door to the postman without your wig on, and watch his face SLOWLY change from smile to ??? (He had seen me in the wig plenty of times before that).

Second: When your youngest child announces VERY LOUDLY in a silent and very full church "Mummy you have a spider on your wig!"

Third: When you got the first too tight wig, and sat through a school information evening for parents in the front row harbouring thoughts of how you might upstage the headmaster by ripping the damn thing off.

Fourth: When you go to the school production of Romeo and Juliet and are saving seats for your husband and your mother who are still in the car park. Then you see them enter the auditorium and they can't find you. They are looking up and down the rows but they can't see you. A failure to spot you despite the fact you are the ONLY woman wearing a turban in the room.Laughing

XXX

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited March 2013

YKYACPW you have gone soooo long with no hair, that when it does start to grow back in, you forget to comb it.

• feelingfeline
    edited March 2013

Ahhh. Hi Spookiesmom, I do so hope you have got nice hair growing back. Mine came back grey which is a big mental adjustment every time I look in a mirror. In my case I don't forget to comb it, I forget what colour it is!! (I was brown before) But it is sooo lovely and soft. And looks it. Everyone wants to feel it and pat it. Hmmm, maybe that's why I'm "feelingfeline"Smile

Should have said the only thing funnier than my youngest announcing "Mummy you have a spider on your wig" in could-have-heard-a-pin-drop church would have been if she had said "Mummy, you have a LARGE spider on your wig" 'cos then I would have torn it off my head (possibly along with my top too) and run up and down the church screaming.

This is a great thread.

lots of love XXX

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited March 2013

Mine was white before it went, coming back same shade. One side seems to be chemo curls, the other straight. Looks strange, but at least it's coming back!!!!

• feelingfeline
    edited March 2013

Hair Hair! Those curls will loosen out I believe.

Another laugh YKYACP when...I though RO stood for reoccurence!! Just found out it stands for radiation oncologist. Yes, I DO know which one of those I'd rather be dealing with. Had to go back and edit one of my posts though..Laughing

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    edited March 2013

YKYACP.......when you hear yourself screaming at 'Millionaire Hot Seat' on the box, because you know the answer to where the 'manubrium' is found in the body.

If it hadn't popped up on regular body scans, I woudn't have had a clue.

Hmmmm, I wonder....is there any law against having cancer and a million dollars?

Sheila.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited March 2013

YKYACP when you bump up this thread 'cuz it's brought smiles to so many.

Happy Keister photo happykeister.jpg

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909
    edited March 2013

LOL!!!!!!

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    edited April 2013

You know you're a cancer patient when the doctor calls YOU to tell you it's time for an appointment.

• shianne29
    edited April 2013

When the volunteers at the hospital all know you by name

• feelingfeline
    edited April 2013

This is one for the few UMX ladies out here. I have had a bad cold and hubby was sleeping in the spare bedroom to get a bit of sleep away from my coughing and disease. He had brought his pillow in there with him.

Next day I made our bed, pulling the duvet up over my pillow. His pillow was still in the other room. A while later I walked back into our bedroom and as I caught sight of the made bed, with a soft swelling shape at the top on the right side, and a flat part at the top left I thought "It looks like me!"

• shianne29
    edited April 2013

Lol, feelingfeline.

• jenni__ca
    jenni__ca Member Posts: 77
    edited April 2013

YKYACP when you find your old walk-a-thon team t-shirt and it says (Star Wars team theme here Wink ) "Never Tell Me the Odds" ..... stage III and coming up on 9 years !

• shianne29
    edited April 2013

Jenni, that's super awesome!!! Keep going girl!!!!

• schatzi14
    schatzi14 Member Posts: 906
    edited April 2013

Jenni...fantastic....that is so encouraging for us to hear that! Good for you!!!!!

• feelingfeline
    edited April 2013

Jenni, like schatzi said - it is really good for us to hear encouragement from someone who's been out of cancer treatment longer. Great t-shirt, great motto. Was never a Han Solo fan, (too much testosterone) preferred the cerebral Luke/Yoda/BenLaughing but that line certainly works for me!

• Ossa
    Ossa Member Posts: 685
    edited April 2013

jenni.. awsome great to hear

YKYACP when you meet BC friends from this site and can walk in to a crowded room and spot them right away.. Just look for a sleeve

• shianne29
    edited April 2013

Ykyacp when you give this sites web address to someone who looks lost and stressed entering the oncology unit!!!

I did this today, just happened to be my last day of active treatment, hers was just starting. I wrote it out, handed it to her with a hug and said "start on page 1. You too will survive!" Told her all about it. I left her and her DH feeling a little better. :-D

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879
    edited April 2013

Shianne - you have just "paid it forward". What a wonderful gesture on your part.

• schatzi14
    schatzi14 Member Posts: 906
    edited April 2013

shianne...that was the best thing you could ever have done for her! She will be soooo grateful! I wish someone had told me...I just happened on this forum by chance and I had finished all my TXs...except Arimidex.

• julz4
    julz4 Member Posts: 1,373
    edited April 2013

How wonderful Shianne!