Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• shianne29
    shianne29 Member Posts: 282
    edited April 2013

I was lucky enough to find this place in the middle of chemo. I laughed till I cried, and I cried simply because I didn't feel so alone anymore. What was happening was "normal" someone understood!!! I was given renewed strength here, you ladies helped me, the least I can do is help someone else. Hopefully that lady when she feels stronger she will pay it forward as well.

• Ossa
    Ossa Member Posts: 685
    edited April 2013

Nicley done Shianne

• Ossa
    Ossa Member Posts: 685
    edited April 2013

YKYACP when you meet BC sisters for the first time and have show and tell in the restaurants bathroom

• shianne29
    edited April 2013

Lol.... Ossa I love it!!!

• julz4
    julz4 Member Posts: 1,373
    edited April 2013

So very very True Ossa!  Wink

• staynsane
    staynsane Member Posts: 196
    edited April 2013

...When you are in a restaurant, thoroughly enjoying time spent with family and friends, when the waitress bumps your TE with her arm as she is clearing your plate and her eyes get that "WTF!" look.

• shianne29
    edited April 2013

When you fart in public and don't care because you're just so glad you didn't shit yourself

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 942
    edited April 2013

Shianne~~I can certainly relate to that. I developed a blood clot while on AC, and since I'm still on chemo (12 weekly taxol) my onc wants me to continue the 2 Lovenox injections daily. It cause diarrhea and taxol causes constipation. As we were going to bed the other night, I told my husband, " Between the shots & Taxol, I don't dare fart. I never know how that will turn out."

Blessings

Paula

• schatzi14
    schatzi14 Member Posts: 906
    edited April 2013

shianne...was that YOU????   Yell   ROFL

• schatzi14
    edited April 2013

soteria...you are the first gal I have seen on this forum that got blood clots while on AC. I had numerous clots and they had to stop after the 3rd one...had 12 weekly taxols ...no problems but had to give my self daily blood thinner shots for 6 months. Fine now but I will always wonder if the 3 DD ACs were enough!

• [Deleted User]
    edited April 2013

Schatzi~~I got AC every third week. I think my inactivity following tx 2 & 3 had a big part in me getting the clot. I was so faint, weak, & out of breath with AC, I barely moved beyond my recliner. I went to church on Sundays, but DH dropped me off and picked me up at he door. Weekly Taxol is a piece of cake compared to AC.

Blessings

Paula

• schatzi14
    edited April 2013

Paula....no kidding! Taxol was nothing after AC every second week. I had to sit to brush my teeth or have a shower. I still get winded after exertion but my MO told me there was some damage to both lungs so I guess I have to expect that. I am walking 3 times a week and go further each time. I walk about 30 minutes but when I get home I am pretty well panting.

My clots were directly caused by the AC. Was just my luck!  LOL

Best to you

Susan

• shianne29
    edited April 2013

Schatzi... Shhhh lol it wasn't me!!!!

Isn't funny how we all react differently, the DD AC was a breeze for me, the taxol on the other hand, holy crap!!! By day 3every cycle I was in so much pain. 2 Percocet every 3 hours to just take the edge off. By my last cycle I knew what was coming so it wasn't so bad but that first one, I thought I was definitely dying!!!

• chickydee
    chickydee Member Posts: 15
    edited April 2013

Hi Ladies! I'm new to this website and I can't believe I have lived without it for 2 years. Finding this topic was like reading the best book ever.  I limited myself to 10 pages a day just to stretch it out~to have laughter every day.  Now what do I do when I have reached the end of thread?  I guess I'll have to reread because YKYACP when you start rereading page 1 because you've forgotten most of what you've read and it's all so funny again!

• shianne29
    edited April 2013

Chickydee, I agree lol. I read some out loud to my family and they looked at me like I had three heads. Lol. I was doubled over laughing, they just didn't get it!!!

This site saved my sanity!!

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879
    edited April 2013

Welcome aboard chickydee! Thank goodness for a sense of humour. Without it we surely woud shrivel up.

• [Deleted User]
    edited April 2013

About 6 weeks ago my sister, Jan, & I went to the Spaghetti Warehouse for lunch. Jan took me to my first 3 treatments of AC, until she started a new job. She's very honest and I can always count on her to tell me her real option on my clothes, makeup, hair, or attitude.

So, she's driving us to lunch and she missed her turn and had to go around the block. As we passed a car lot, she said, " oh, they still have that Volvo I want!"

I had made a discovery quite by accident the night before, so without missing a beat, I said, " Speaking of Volvos, I don't have a hair on mine!" We cracked up!

I do know the difference in Volvo & vulva. Just my way of making light of the situation.

Blessings

Paula

• schatzi14
    edited April 2013

Ya really had to be there!

Welcome chickydee Smile

• schatzi14
    edited April 2013

Soteria......ROFL...that is hysterical....outta the mouths of babes and BC gals.

• dutchgirl6
    dutchgirl6 Member Posts: 322
    edited April 2013

This has nothing to do with BC, but Soteria205's story made me remember a funny story. 

My friend, Barb, has two sons, and when they were little she was adamant that they learn the proper names of "private parts".  Her husband was a poor graduate student at the time, and they drove an old beater, but dreamed of better wheels in the future.  One day, I was visiting, and her younger son, who was maybe two and a half at the time, told my daughter, in no uncertain terms, that "Daddy has a penis, and Mommy has a Volvo".  Barb just looked at me and said, "I wish".

Truly out of the mouths of babes Smile.

• fujiimama
    fujiimama Member Posts: 236
    edited April 2013

...you put your foob on the bed and find your 2yr old nursing on it. ( he was weaned at 5 mo because of bc)

...you're 5 year old is caressing your foobs at a restaurant and you don't realize it for 5 minutes.

...your earrings get bigger as your hair gets shorter.

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879
    edited April 2013

fujiimama - too funny! I find myself scratching my foob sometimes due to the old phantom itch. Doesn't help lol 

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited April 2013

Hi Chickydee, I'm only recently arrived here but it feel like part of my life already! A lovely part.

Shianne29 I know exactly what you mean about your family and 3 heads, -  that was me too! Guess you really have to have been a CP to understand YKYACP! I thought the joke about sex life being so non existant that you actually look forward to being felt up by your oncologist (1st page) was so funny I was chuckling for days. DH didn't get it. Probably because in reality our sex life stayed fine, but the funny part of the joke is the idea of the 2nd bit...Told it to my mother and she pointed out onco could be a woman, which only made me laugh more...

Had a little YKYACP moment on the motorway yesterday when passing a Builders truck with SNB in huge letters on it, which OF COURSE my brain handily translated as "sentinel node biopsy" - anyone seeing me laughing behind the wheel would have been very puzzled.Laughing

• fujiimama
    fujiimama Member Posts: 236
    edited April 2013

...you down your Ritalin with a strong cup of coffee.

• phgraham
    phgraham Member Posts: 909
    edited April 2013

When your surgeon, who will put in your third port, comes in the room and asks how you are and you say, "I'm great, I have a recurrence AND a chance to try out some nifty new chemos! How are you?"

Phyllis

• shianne29
    edited April 2013

Fujiimama.... I would not have wanted to be around you that day!!!!

Can anyone tell me where I can get a Volvo??? Lol

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited April 2013

phgraham, I HATE when someone asks 'how are you'!!! It is a pet peeve of mine..like they really care!! I'm (was) in sales and I NEVER asked that! I had no right to ask. It is NOT a form of hello!! I hope you brought your surgeon to his knees with your answer! Medical professionals should NEVER ask us that! When they do I say "if I'm looking at you, obviously I'm not doing too well." What a stupid comment. What did he respond to your answer?????

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited April 2013

When the nurse or whatever asks me that I say if I was fine I wouldn't be here. That goes for ANY docs office.

• gramwe
    gramwe Member Posts: 238
    edited April 2013

Ykyacp when your grandson over hears you discussing your BMX, and runs outside looking for Grandmas new bicycle.

• schatzi14
    edited April 2013

I don't mind someone asking "how are you?" as long as they are truly interested...not many that really are.