Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited October 2013

try a small, thin, very soft pillow under the seatbelt. I was given one at my chemo center, really was great after bmx.

• Pattysmiles
    Pattysmiles Member Posts: 147
    edited October 2013

I agree with the pillow...I have a little 10x10 polyester filled pillow...works perfectly.

• spookiesmom
    edited October 2013

stupid chemo brain. I couldn't think of the measurement. Yes, that sounds like mine

• violet_1
    violet_1 Member Posts: 335
    edited October 2013

Thanks Ladies...yup, I use one...but the pressure STILL sets the boob pain off...but Lidocaine patches are helping a bit...;)

Vi

• indenial
    indenial Member Posts: 125
    edited October 2013

YKYACP when you panic at any new pain, and then feel relieved when you have MORE of the same type of pain elsewhere... because you rationalize that mets wouldn't likely be on both sides of the body (or so low down on an extremity or in such an obscure location)....

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited October 2013

Yes indeed - YKYACP when it's such great news when the oncologist remarks that all those severed nerve endings trying to regenerate is likely to cause pain!!

• RosesToeses
    RosesToeses Member Posts: 244
    edited October 2013

On a related note, YKYACP when a doctor tells you that you have arthritis, or kidney stones, or torn muscles, or normal fractures, or anything else people without cancer get, and you're overjoyed because it means your pain is not mets.

I mean really, "Yipeee, I have kidney stones!" Who else says that?

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited October 2013

....and who else tells a friend, "I'm so glad to hear you have degenerative disc disease!" and she says, "So am !"

Leah

• RosesToeses
    edited October 2013

Yes, Leah, exactly! Hilarious and so true!

• rockym
    rockym Member Posts: 382
    edited October 2013

Way funny ladies! By the way... where did the spell check go??

• phgraham
    phgraham Member Posts: 909
    edited October 2013

YKYACP when you ask your onc if he was mad at you the day he prescribed The Evil Ixempra and Xeloda for your chemo. He looked confused for a minute then laughed and said , "Oh, was it difficult"?". I almost said "YOU try it!"

• spookiesmom
    edited October 2013

you should have!!!!!!

How's it going now? Miss you!

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879
    edited October 2013

I did tell my onc once that he should "try it" when he wanted to send me for a 2nd liver biopsy - back to the same hospital that botched the first one. He changed his mind and I went elsewhere. lol

They need to know that it isn't easy being on the other side.

• spookiesmom
    edited October 2013

bump

• indenial
    edited November 2013

YKYACP when you have been using the same bottle of shampoo for over a year, and when it finally runs out (because you randomly "forgot" you only have an inch of hair and squeezed out a ton like you used to!) the store no longer carries that shampoo!

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited November 2013

YKYACP when after years of huge, honkin', droopy boobs, you finally have the perky new ones to wear a strapless sundress! With no bra!!!

Only later do you realize you are now wearing just a skirt, because the top has slipped down your numb chest and completely exposed The Girls....

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879
    edited November 2013

lol Blessings - if ya got em flaunt em.

• spookiesmom
    edited November 2013

Oh my Dog!! LOL

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909
    edited November 2013

I hate it when that happens!

Shocked

• fujiimama
    fujiimama Member Posts: 236
    edited November 2013

Blessings that is funny.

Ykyacpw...you find yourself actually missing being bald. 

Had two friends who commented on missing bald long before my chemo. I thought they were crazy...Now I get it.

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    edited November 2013

Talking about being bald.....YKYACP when you jump up slapping your arms silly, only to find your own hair is floating down and feels just like ants or spiders crawling all over you.

Sheila.

• indenial
    edited November 2013

YKYACP when your husband offers to let you borrow his sweater & you respond, "No thanks, I have no breasts & no hair, I can't wear a men's sweater too!"

• jocanuck1951
    jocanuck1951 Member Posts: 214
    edited November 2013

👍

• RosesToeses
    edited November 2013

indenial, I hear you! I have a plaid shirt, kind of western style, that I just don't feel comfortable wearing now that I have a boy, er, I mean pixie haircut for just that reason! All I can think of is the old SNL "It's Pat" sketches--yikes!

• LKSHER
    LKSHER Member Posts: 25
    edited November 2013

Everywhere I go now, all anyone ever talks about is my hair. Granted, they say I look beautiful and not everyone could pull this off and my makeup looks nice and blah, blah, blah.....They all say keep it this way. Even my husband who likes that it has shortened my "getting ready" time. I just want to scream at the top of my lungs, "Shut up!!!!!!" Why would I want to keep a cut that will always remind me of the hell I just went through and this constant fear I now live with?

Also, people feel the need to tell me about everyone else's hair and what IT did after chemo. I don't effing care. Sounds cold, but I am so bored. Please people talk about something....anything else!!!! I am sick (never enjoyed one second of it) of being the friend/acquaintance who had breast cancer. Then I walk away and I feel like (know) they are all whispering/asking/speculating about my prognosis going forward.

And if one more person forwards me one more informative email, I am going to go ballistic. I've read it all. Read it yourself and leave me alone.

And yes, I am seeing a therapist. Lol!!!

I just want my implants placed and to get hypnotized to forget about all this and never speak of it again. Anyone feel the same?

• indenial
    edited November 2013

LKSHER -- the hair thing!!! It drives me insane!!! I know people are just trying to be nice & encouraging but I hate my short hair and I hate that it constantly reminds me of everything I've been through. No one seems to get that. I just want to look like I used to look, before this nightmare started.

• LKSHER
    LKSHER Member Posts: 25
    edited November 2013

Thank you, indenial!!! So nice to be understood. Family thinks I am too sensitive...I can tell, but they just don't get it.

• mt4ever
    mt4ever Member Posts: 51
    edited November 2013

LKSHER....you said exactly what I feel....

I just want to scream at the top of my lungs, "Shut up!!!!!!" Why would I want to keep a cut that will always remind me of the hell I just went through and this constant fear I now live with?

Everyone says how good my hair looks short but they just don't understand!!

• lindacam
    lindacam Member Posts: 97
    edited November 2013

I am new here so hi all. I took off my wig in front of friends who have only seen me as a brunette. I have 1 in of hair now that is salt and pepper coloured. They said it looks great stop wearing your wig. I said the only salt and pepper should be on my food! I hate my boy hair and that its sll grey.

• spookiesmom
    edited November 2013

Hi ladies, I sure "get it" with the hair. Been there, heard that. Just wanted to let you know it WILL grow, it DOES get better. Lady Clairol can be your new BFF.