Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited September 2013

My white head hair is thin and wispy, like I'm about 90. My arms look like Godzilla. The rest is about non existence. I want head hair. Screw the rest!!

• JustJean
    JustJean Member Posts: 170
    edited September 2013

I don't blame you, Spookiesmom - if I had to pick only one place for it to come back, it would be my head. I am one of the lucky ones that it did come back there. Not as thick, and different even three years later, but it came back. Sorry about yours... :(

• fujiimama
    fujiimama Member Posts: 236
    edited September 2013

Hair is such a blessed curse. Mine is back for the second time. Right now it's curly. I always wanted a curly head. But now what to do with it is something entirely to dread. If I cut it will it be gone, or let it grow out. It might stay straight. Too many choices. I liked being bald. It made a statement. I am a cancer peeps, be nice.

• ohio4me
    ohio4me Member Posts: 323
    edited September 2013

Fujimama - I had solt curls when my hair grew back but lost them on my first haircut to never see them again. My hair looks much like before chemo but finer and does not hold curl (even with lots of product). Bald days were simpler. My hair is thinning on Aromasin - - if it gets too too thin on top I think I'm going back to the very, very short look that does not require any care.

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    edited September 2013

my hair is thinning on letrozole, too.  My hair is shorter now than it has been since I was 30.  If the hair keeps going, it will get shorter, yet.

• spookiesmom
    edited September 2013

I just had my chemo crap curls/fuzz cut today. My hairdresser said I have new growth all over its about 1/4" long. It's super short, I don't care. This time last year I didn't have any hair.

• spookiesmom
    edited September 2013

Bump

• jocanuck1951
    jocanuck1951 Member Posts: 214
    edited September 2013

I feel like an elf ladies...little wispy sideburn curls, some sneaking in from behind my ears....course I've never seen a grey haired elf! Lol. Jo

• Bluebird-DE
    Bluebird-DE Member Posts: 1,233
    edited September 2013

Note to self, I read from 123 to 130 so nearly caught up with my fav thread.... but now must cook and brush dog.  Need the laughs. Thank you ladies!

Have a few I may have posted but canna recall, of course.

YKYACPW

You're reading about 'blacklisted news' and find this link http://www.blacklistednews.com/Aluminum_in_Deodorant_Linked_to_Breast_Cancer_in_New_Studies/28948/0/38/38/Y/M.html for deodorant with aluminum proven to link to breast cancer and you go straight to bco to share it. And spend hours reading threads.

You're wearing bra/camis that did not have harsh support often during the summer and in September you look in the mirror and realize it does not camouflage the fact that your right breast is a size B if lucky and you push the side fat up into a good bra cup and the left lady is a definite D, also with a lot of good side fat. No wonder people were staring?  But had not thought a thing of it because I forgot I guess.

You go out with you hubby every single morning bcz you never know. It needs to always be like that, the never know awareness of all people, but bc put the new spin on it, hmmm.

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879
    edited September 2013

Hey Jo - I think the head Keebler elf might have grey hair. lol

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited September 2013

YKYACP when you're in an elevator headed down to the lobby and repeatedly push the button for the first floor but it won't work.  You wonder what's wrong with the darn thing then realize you've been pushing the button for the floor you're on, not 1.  Embarassed  Chemo-brain strikes again!

• spookiesmom
    edited September 2013

Badger, been there, pushed that!!

Jo, my RO looks and walks like an elf. Even has a faint Welsh accent.

• jocanuck1951
    jocanuck1951 Member Posts: 214
    edited September 2013

Ha ha too funny Spookie..no Welsh but a bit Frenchie! Barsco....sadly it's true...I'm a short, fat, grey (silver haired... sounds cuter) elf...ack!! Really tho I just missed the mark..I'm straight on 5 feet tall...lol...have to stand real straight to get that...👀 Xoxo Jo

• fujiimama
    fujiimama Member Posts: 236
    edited September 2013

Jo you be the elf, because I'm already the world's tallest leprechaun. Short, round, rudy cheeks and now a curly frop on top.

Ykyacpw :

Looking at a jewlery catalog you point to a long necklace.

Friend standing next to you says " Sure you've got the cleavage for that?"

My reply " I don't know about you, but I get to pick my cleavage! ;)"

• violet_1
    violet_1 Member Posts: 335
    edited September 2013

This is a GREAT thread, Ladies!

Thanks...:)

Violet

• violet_1
    edited September 2013

P.S. - I didn't realize it was for Stage 3...

But, just found a few helpful links from you ladies. ..:)

Violet

• badger
    edited September 2013

Violet, I agree - love this thread!

The OP (original poster) invited anyone to post here so it's open to all.  ♥

• rockym
    rockym Member Posts: 382
    edited September 2013

YKYACP when you have a bunch of hair fall out in the shower and you're happy because you're 2+ years out, NED and you have enough hair to fall out!

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited September 2013

My naturally falling out hair finally clogged our shower drain after several years and I was actually happy about it.

• spookiesmom
    edited September 2013

Yeah, takes ca to get the drain fixed. Sounds like my house LOL

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited September 2013

Years ago there weren't as many different forums as there are now. So a stage III woman started this thread in "her own" or "home" site and it continued to stay there. There is nothing wrong with ANYONE posting here!! Humour is for us ALL.

• barbe1958
    edited September 2013

HAH!!! Just realized...YKYACPW you fight for your right to laugh!!

• badger
    edited September 2013

YKYACP when you think of barbe1958 when filling up your weekly pill caddy because you remember a conversation you had about filling it back up on Sat when you empty it, instead of Sun morning, when you immediately take some of the pills you just put in. Smile

• barbe1958
    edited September 2013

OR make 8 piles of pills and take one pile as you fill up the unit!!

• badger
    edited September 2013

LOL barbe, you're always thinking ahead! Wink

• violet_1
    edited October 2013

I hear ya, Barbe!

And you know you're a cancer patient /Recon. when you have bought 3 million bras and still can't find one that fits well enough and that doesn't set off your NEUROPATHY PAIN...grrrr.....!

Violet

• barbe1958
    edited October 2013

Oh Violet!!! I feel for you with your neuropathy!!!! That is truly one of the reasons I didn't get recon. I have Fibromyalgia and could image the surgery and foreign bodies just exacerbating everything. And now I have mild truncal LE anyway and wouldn't be able to wear a bra!! I can't imagine working in sales without a bra!!

YKYACPW you have to consider all your OTHER diseases when making treatment and surgery options!!

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    edited October 2013

violet have you tried a shelf camisole?

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,606
    edited October 2013

Violet....I wear plain old camis....more like an "undershirt" but sleeveless with small straps....I don't like the ones that are real skinny (straps) and I can't wear the shelf camis....they really annoy me....these camis work well for me as my implants are small so don't need any support....I sometimes buy "wifebeaters"...these ork well for me as I don't wear anything low cut....comfort is what it is all about and I'm too old to not wear anything under a t-shirt or sweater

• violet_1
    edited October 2013

Barb, Garden, & Karen,

The neuropathy is from the BMX, NOT the recon...;) It began immed. after double MX on my L side only & worsened during fills w TE's.

Camis are ok if loose, but sometimes ya need to wear a bra. Pressure from seatbelt sucks too...so far, the Lidocaine patches help somewhat with bra pressure & driving. We'll see if the patches make my skin break out now...;)

Vio