Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• tobyholicdeb
    tobyholicdeb Member Posts: 10
    edited February 2014

Have you heard of a Frogg Togg chill pad? I'm stopping at the store after my treatment this week. I just can't handle the night after a Red Devil treatmentSad

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited February 2014

No I haven't. You're hot? Try aiming a small fan at your upper body, maybe put on night stand. Warn DH what's going on so he can prepare, lol. 

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894
    edited February 2014

Hi reposting this on some threads, may be old news to some, but to good of info not to pass this on,Sassy

Cam00205Bluebird144…NJJoined: Apr 2013Posts: 393

13 hours agoBluebird144 wrote:

Knitted Knockers Charities is a non-profit that exists to provide free patterns for knitters and crocheters to be able to make knockers and help mastectomy patients get freeKnitted Knockers made by volunteers.

I love my Knitted Knockers! They are light and soft and warm. Unlike my silicone prosthetic which is heavy and cold when first worn, then it later causes me to sweat.

I wear my knitted knockers inside a regular bra or tucked in the pocket of a mastectomy bra. They are beautiful, and a godsend to those of us with an uneven mastectomy scar.

Knitted knockers website:

http://www.knittedknockers.info/

Fall down seven times, stand up eight.

Surgery 09/09/2009 Prophylactic Ovary Removal (Both)Chemotherapy 02/06/2013 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxolSurgery 07/19/2013 Mastectomy (Both); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection, Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Left); Reconstruction: DIEP flap (Both)Surgery 08/20/2013 Reconstruction (Right)Surgery 08/28/2013 Mastectomy (Right)Radiation Therapy 10/14/2013 3-D conformal external beam radiationSurgery 01/24/2014 Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Right)

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited February 2014

.....when you and a new friend compare ports (both visible beneath the surface).

Leah

• spookiesmom
    edited February 2014

When you and a friend decide to keep your ports "forever" as insurance. 

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909
    edited February 2014

Sas--thanks for the repost of the Knitted Knockers!  My mom made several for me when I was using a prosthesis, they were wonderful for swimming and quick trips to the store, since I could tuck them under a sport bra and look normal in a loose t-short or sweater.  Of course, she knitted on them everywhere she went, so she was telling all kinds of strangers about her daughter losing a breast to bc. . . .

• sas-schatzi
    edited February 2014

NM LOL RE: what your Mom did---Only Mom's could get away with it ,

I'm back on the soapbox----Like I ever get off for long.......... I spammed this all over the boards this morning, but not as many as I would have liked. The Mods are probably having a meeting trying to figure out what to do. Hope they don't delete it. Hope no one reports me . Feel free to copy and paste wherever.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Folks, I recently found out some info that has pissed me off in re: the drugs given to me during treatment for BC. I was almost killed with my one and only chemo. Taxotere was the culprit. I "failed" all three AI's b/c of s.e.'s. All of this could have been avoided had my MO paid attention to the Cytochrome450 genetic testing. Of the six genes tested, I have abnormalities in three. All are major players in the drugs I was given. Had I been tested, it would have been known. The drug choice and /or dosage modifications could have been made

Rather than rewrite the details here The link below will take you to a thread that has the posts that I have written in the last few days.

I'm not trying to sell Genelex. Other laboratories are doing genetic testing. But Genelex is the only company right now that provides the application of the genetic results to the drugs we are taking. Other companies, I'm sure are trying to build the same business model. It's the future of drug administration.

Why? Patients will no longer except being experimented upon with drugs that can harm them. If the docs won't do this because it's the right thing to do it. Then we have to PUSH them into doing the right thing.

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/73/topic/7...

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited March 2014

YKYACP when you personally identify with these lyrics from "Forever and Ever Amen" by Randy Travis:

They say that time takes its toll on a body

Makes the young
    girls brown hair turn grey

But honey, I don't
    care, I ain't in love with your hair

And if it all fell
    out, well, I'd love you anyway

• dwill
    dwill Member Posts: 248
    edited March 2014

When you find yourself checking out other ladies boobs to see if theirs are as whop-sided as yours or whether they are perky and even under their clothes.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 35
    edited March 2014

When you read and re-read your scan reports.

Oceana

marvelous-nicole-rodriguez.jpg (180×119)

• rockym
    rockym Member Posts: 382
    edited March 2014

YKYACP when you flip your hair out from under your shirt collar and think "Wow, I have enough hair to flip out from under my shirt collar."

• badger
    edited March 2014

YKYACP when you can't remember the last time you used a hairbrush.

• spookiesmom
    edited March 2014

When you use the DOGS hair brush on your itchey new growth. Sorry Spookie!

• fujiimama
    fujiimama Member Posts: 236
    edited March 2014

Ykyacpw: When you know more about how your insides look than the outsides

• badger
    edited March 2014

YKYACP when you know you inherited the shape of your father's head.

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited March 2014

LOL Badger. I've had my hair back for a year now (haven't yet had it cut since getting it back) but I WELL remember the shock of catching a look at myself in the mirror and seeing my Dad looking back at me. We've always been physically similar and as my Dad has been totally bald for years the loss of my hair just emphasised the resembleance.

• sas-schatzi
    edited March 2014

Cami this is the epitome of hair chalk LOL

YKYACPW your in the wrong place and don't know it!

• badger
    edited March 2014

YKYACP if you knew where sas MEANT to post the hair chalk pic LOL.

• spookiesmom
    edited March 2014

oh my dog! Even if I had hair.........

• ziggypop
    ziggypop Member Posts: 276
    edited March 2014

YKYACP when you box up ALL of your old bras for goodwill.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited March 2014

Too funny ziggpop! I even took a picture the night before my masts over 5 years ago! (before I bagged up the sexy stuff....)

• spookiesmom
    edited March 2014

Yep! As soon as the drains came out and I could drive, that's where they went. Don't miss 'em.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited March 2014

YKYACP when your radiologist-resident son, cruising through your PET-CT scans on the computer just for experience and entertainment, says, "Hey, mom, did you know you have a big-ass appendix?"

• spookiesmom
    edited March 2014

And did you say, thanks son? LOL

• dwill
    dwill Member Posts: 248
    edited March 2014

When the slowest walker at work breezes past you in the hall as though she is sprinting while you are on your turtle crawl.

• sas-schatzi
    edited April 2014

YKYACPW--you're inspired LOL. AnacortesGirl and I have created a transporter link in our topic boxes that can transport you by clicking on them to each other. If you look at the topic box here it says

"For more short, fun and uplifting posts, click the following link for some cute pics:

Warm & Fuzzy owls, goats, kitties, dogs, birds, ETC. Pics & Links "

I created the transporter link several years ago. What it does is saves time. Instead of going  to  "My Favorite topic">>then your Favs list>>finding Warm and fuzzies on your list and clicking, Now you hit  "pgup" to topic box click on W&F's and you go directly there. 

The intent of W&F's is stated in the topic box. 

A further and more important function of both these threads is:

YKYACPW is short & to the point, easy read, funny , ranting, poignant

W&F's is visual, links to visuals & songs, funny, poignant, ranting, easy etc. 

Members don't need to think to much to enjoy when then are sick, weak from chemo, or to weak to post, but continue to want to be part of BCO.

Both threads are uplifting. Both threads easier now to access. Hope you get the idea. If you think of another thread that we could add that would help our sisters let AG know soon or PM me and I will contact the thread starter  for permission to do the same L&H&P's sassy

• barbe1958
    edited April 2014

sas, LOVE your new avatar!!!!

• badger
    edited April 2014

YKYACP when you "get" to wear the purple shirt at Relay for Life.

• barbe1958
    edited April 2014

YKYACPW you get to walk the Survivors Lap at the Relay, too!!!

• sas-schatzi
    edited April 2014

YKYACP (wink Barbie) when you wake up each day and say  to your self "Who am I today?" and change your avatar :)