Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited May 2014

YKYACPW there's a luminaria in your honor, or in your memory.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited May 2014

Think I'd have to prefer in my honor!

• badger
    edited May 2014

I'm with ya there, Spookiesmom!

• badger
    edited May 2014

I was going to say in honor of, but couldn't leave out the memory of the many I've loved and lost.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited May 2014

You know you're a cancer patient when you get a personalized email to invite you to the Survivors Lap at the Relay for Life....sigh.

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    edited May 2014

Sort of like a slap in the face with a dead fish, huh Barbe?

Sheila.

• barbe1958
    edited May 2014

There's even a line it is saying that if I don't want to be contacted to let them know (read: dead)

Hello Barbara

I am Linda and a cancer survivor volunteering with Rose for the Alliston Relay for Life Survivor Reception.

I called earlier in hopes I would be able to register you for the Survivor Victory Lap and the Survivor Reception this year. The location has changed and it is at the PPG Park (Alliston Fair Grounds)

Please let me know by return email if you would like me to register you and what tee shirt size you would like.

If you are unable to come this year still please send me an email so I do not continue to bother you.

Do take care and I hope to connect with you soon. Thanks and Good Health Linda 

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879
    edited May 2014

This will be my 4th yr participating in the Survivor Lap - have never received a personal invite. Not sure what that means.

• barbe1958
    edited May 2014

This will be my fourth year too! I registered online, so perhaps that's the difference. They have my email....

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879
    edited May 2014

That might be the difference. No worries - My sisters and I partake in the relay every year so I am there anyway.

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894
    edited May 2014

Hi, popping in. I was posting with another member. I thought sharing the below information may be helpful to you Winking.

The link www.needymeds.org is to a web site started by a Social Worker and a doc. It is a tricky site to use. The first page leads to a several hundred resource pages. But I think this first page, does not project the wealth that lies beneath. Be patient when following the links within the site. There are sections that are disease and drug specific. The specific page then links to lists of organizations that provide monetary or other types of assistance.

Register first and do the request for assistances form. Reason: the request for assistance form is filed. If you apply to 1 or 20 organizations/companies, the forms don't need to be repeatedly filled out.  The system is designed to pull information from the original form. There may be a few particulars that need to be added to a companies/organizations form.

All the pharmaceutical companies have patient assistance programs. All the drug manufactures are listed there

The other way to reach drug manufactures is 1. call the manufactuer patient assistance number(goolge keywords: drug name and manufacturer, then to webpage>>>patient assistance. Very time consuming.

There is so much more on www.needymeds.org. It took a bit of time to wander through the whole site. I've shared a telephone walk through with many friends and relatives. I even called healthcare facilities to tell them about this link.

For completeness, there are many ways to get financial assistance for whatever you need. There are organizations that will do things for you i.e volunteers that buy groceries, drive, install handrails, build wheelchair ramps.

How to find the info besides from the link above?  FIND the SOCIAL WORKER(SW).  It's there job to know these things :)  Talk to all of the following 1. cancer center SW,  2.hospital SW, 3. Insurance companies SW, 4. County SW. 5. church outreach leader.

I requested from my insurance carrier, a consult with a SW. That one appointment with the insurance carrier Social Worker, led to grants totaling $10,550. The meeting with the cancer centers SW, led to coverage of neulasta  for $4000.00.

• weesa
    weesa Member Posts: 78
    edited May 2014

Dear Christy--Anacortesgirl, you know you are a cancer patient when you have to say goodbye so often to friends who have fought the struggle to live--and lost, as you did this week. You started the most popular thread of all time while you were with us on stage 3.  I often come here and chuckle, and have cracked myself up a few times with my own contributions.l Thanks, Christy, for this inspired thread.

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,606
    edited May 2014

I'm sorry to hear about Christy....always tragic when we loose another sister.  RIP.   Karen

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909
    edited May 2014

Christy's gone?  I am too sad to hear that.  So not fair.  

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited May 2014

So sorry to hear this news. My sincere condolences to her family and all those who loved her. She has left an incredible legacy here. This thread was an enormous help to me while on treatment. My family could not share the humour - they would hear me cracking up laughing over something and when would read it out they could not "get it", I'm guessing that you have to have been a CP.....to know that you CAN have cancer and laugh at the absurdities.

RIP Christy. God bless you and your family.

• MaryFox
    MaryFox Member Posts: 88
    edited May 2014

Indeed, Christy left a wonderful legacy that will continue to help all who must deal with bc. God rest you, Christy.

• barbe1958
    edited May 2014

YKYACPW you can mourn for someone you have never met.

• Monis
    Monis Member Posts: 309
    edited May 2014

Yes, it's true.  Every time I read here of someone passing that I've never "met" on the forum I always experience sorrow and sometimes even shed tears.

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited May 2014

YKYACP when you read the words "Best Friends" and in your brain it translates into "Breast Friends" and you realize that both are true....

May God bless Christy and all who loved her....

• barbe1958
    edited May 2014

YKYACPW you honour a lost sister by continuing her thread.

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited May 2014

Christy left all of us a wonderful legacy - she helped us bear our pain by showing us how to laugh at the absurdities that come with it.

Leah

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited May 2014

So sad to hear we have lost another with such a great sense of humour.

• Beatmon
    Beatmon Member Posts: 617
    edited June 2014

so sorry that we lost this light in our lives. All my best to her family and friends. She will be missed.

• Elizabeth1959
    Elizabeth1959 Member Posts: 78
    edited June 2014

I read this thread a lot during active treatment   I was sorry when I read a anacortes girl was stage IV and even more sorry to learn of her passing.  I hope this thread continues in Christy's honor .

• river_rat
    river_rat Member Posts: 317
    edited June 2014

I'm so sorry to read this. My sincere condolences to Christy's family and friends.

• rockym
    rockym Member Posts: 382
    edited June 2014

YKYACP when you go back to re-read this thread when you need a laugh even though you are now 3 years out.  Very sad to hear about Christy.

• janett2014
    janett2014 Member Posts: 2,950
    edited June 2014

So sad that AnacortesGirl is no longer with us. I like what barbe1958 said though: "YKYACPW you honour a lost sister by continuing her thread."

So in the spirit of continuing on...

YKYACPW you buy a special pillow for post-op. It is lightweight, keeps your arms elevated, has a place for cell phone and remote or whatever, and has a washable cover. I promise I don't sell these, but I'm glad I bought one. I will be using it again after my exchange surgery. Besides breast surgery, it would actually work well post-op for any arm or shoulder surgery. 

Also, you know you're a cancer patient when you used to buy shirts and tops that minimized your DDDs, but now you shop in a different section of the store for smaller tops for your new smaller foobs. Oh, and blouses don't gap anymore, but this was definitely NOT the way I wanted to have a reduction!

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894
    edited June 2014

To all. Chrissy and I exchanged PM's about creating a transporter link between YKYACPW and Warm & Fuzzies. This is a quote from Chrissy in that last PM.

"YKYACP.  I can't believe it is still alive and 137 pages.  I'm so glad that it has brought some light heartedness to so many ladies.  We need a ray of sunshine as we go through this."

• dwill
    dwill Member Posts: 248
    edited June 2014

Sass-glad for the two threads. Glad that Chrissy, (although it is sad that she passed on) and you were able to link the two.  Indeed, they do lighten the day and provide sunshine to many of us when we need it.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited June 2014

Oh ladies--massaging your implant makes me laugh so hard.  and the cigareete would have been the topping on the cake...  I had lunch with my grade school girlfriends (known them for 45-50 years) and I was still itching post rads and one of them asked me if I had fleas, cause I was absent mindedly  sitting there scratching my left boob....in a restaurant at a large table...