Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• Ariom
    Ariom Member Posts: 4,027
    edited November 2014

YKYACPW, If in your BC, group meeting, there is a newbie who is coming up for a fitting and you hear thump, thump, thump on the table as the other lades take out foobs to show her what's available! lol

• Ariom
    Ariom Member Posts: 4,027
    edited November 2014

You know your Mother is a cancer patient, when she calls you at work to tell you her foob fell out and hit the concrete with a thud, when she bent over to get the washing from the basket to the clothesline!

Shame I didn't remember that experience, before it happened to me too!

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited November 2014

Oh M!!!!! That's funny

• robinlk
    robinlk Member Posts: 363
    edited November 2014

YKYACP when you have to look tocheck that the puppy isn't teething on your foob.

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited November 2014

Robin you may enjoy this YKYACP moment:

My silicon foob resides in a nice cradle box. It spends more time there than anywhere else as I never wear it at home and I also work from home. However I have found it to be a good accessory with business wear, which definitely looks better with foob. Recently I had a meeting to attend and went to get my foob. Imagine my surprise to notice a small piece of scotch tape on one edge of the foob. It was the nice kind of scotch tape, the good quality matte type that is excellent for parcel wrapping. I happen to keep a roll of it in my wardrobe on the same shelf that the foob box lives on. This is because I usually wrap presents in this location - well away from kids. When I examined the foob close up it looked like someone had taken a small bite, and then done a repair job with the tape. I have a just turned 9 year old daughter who is INSATIABLY curious, and very hands on. In this case teeth on. (Luckily the damage was not too bad and actually a drop of superglue sealed it up more neatly than the tape.)

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    edited November 2014

My old cat (now passed) nearly got beaned 20 yrs ago when I used to wear my foob at home. I bent over to put biscuits in his dish, while he sat beneath me looking up at me, patiently waiting. When I leaned down, my foob fell out straight on his head. I never saw a cat move so fast as he did that day. As I don't wear my foob all day any more, I haven't had the chance to bean the new cat.

Sheila.

• feelingfeline
    edited November 2014

LOL XX

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909
    edited November 2014

YKYACPW after recon surgery you box up all your foobs, foob holding bras and related paraphernalia, then years later are a bit surprised when you run across a storage box labelled "breast".

• robinlk
    robinlk Member Posts: 363
    edited November 2014

ROFL

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894
    edited December 2014

Tonight I was in a shoppe. Making small talk. The guy got off on a rant about Cuba after I said it was great we were going to normalize relations etc. He was getting way off into the weird world. I did something I never did before. I put my hand up as in stop. It worked. I thought I had to tell you all b/c we are always talking about people that make stupid off the wall statements about cancer. I have a new defense. 'the hand' LOL love it.

• spookiesmom
    edited December 2014

will remember that

• 2nd_time_around
    2nd_time_around Member Posts: 14,084
    edited December 2014

love that, will need to try that out

• juliecc
    juliecc Member Posts: 4,360
    edited December 2014

YKYACPW every time you casually mention you have a doctor appointment, which there are many, the person lowers their voice and quietly asks, "Is everything ok?"

I counted my doctors appointments on the Kaiser website and I had 31 in 2014! That's without having radiation or chemo.

• lyzzysmom
    lyzzysmom Member Posts: 285
    edited December 2014

when you are on a cold plane coming back from vacation and you know your own internal heating will kick in and warm you up soon!

• magdalene51
    magdalene51 Member Posts: 2,062
    edited December 2014

YKYACPW someone compliments your hair and you respond, "Thanks, my husband picked it out."

• rozem
    rozem Member Posts: 749
    edited December 2014

YKYACP when you start a new job and cant take time off monthly for you're Zoladex shots so you start calling around to anyone who knows a nurse who can give you a jab after work!

• sas-schatzi
    edited December 2014

MAGS rotflol ,MY HUSBAND picked it out

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited December 2014

My best friend's adult daughter has a serious genetic disease, as do her three beautiful young daughters. It causes much pain, and wreaks havoc with all the internal organs. But she remains cheerful and upbeat and relies on humor to get her family through life.

Tonight she posted a cartoon on her FB page, that I didn't get right away. Then I read the explanation, and all the comments of the other people who have this same disorder, and how that always happens to them, too. They were all laughing about it.

I explained this thread to her, and how much it made me laugh, even though most non-BC people reading the posts just wouldn't appreciate the humor. I said I would always be grateful for this thread, and all the ladies who keep it going and keep us chuckling.

And AussieSheila - I am cracking up at the visual of you beaning that poor kitty!!!

• feelingfeline
    edited December 2014

Excellent response Sas Schatzi. ThumbsUpThumbsUpThumbsUp

• spookiesmom
    edited December 2014

GOOD ONE MAGS!!!!!!

Rozem, is your avatar a Maltese? They are the best nurses through this crap

• mommacat4
    mommacat4 Member Posts: 60
    edited December 2014

ladies this is a great post. I haven't started my chemo or rads yet but have had bmx so I can relate to some of the posts. Other posts are just hilarious. I read one to my 18 year old daughter about taking off the wigs at a nice restaurant just to see what other patrons would do, she thought I was weird for laughing at that then she started laughing and said that sounds like something I would do. Lol.

You know you are a cancer patient when... you stay up till 3:00 in the morning just to read these posts and get a laugh

I am only on page 13 of 141 of this post.

Keep them coming ladies because even though I laughing I am learning about what comes next and what to ask the onc.

A couple days ago I saw my bs about putting in a port. I have to wait till the infection goes away but in the elevator as we were leaving I asked my dh if it bothered him that I have to keep flashing all these other men. He kindly giggled and said no but I said I must be doing something wrong because it is costing me money, I should be charging them. Dh just laughed at me.

• feelingfeline
    edited December 2014

mommacat4 I remember my family being horrified at some of the stuff I was laughing at on here, they just couldn't get it. I suppose it really is the "you had to have been there" factor. The one I always remember from this thread is way back someone posted:

"when your sex life is so non-existent you actually look forward to being felt up by your oncologist"

I still laugh about that whenever I think of it!

Best wishes with your port and treatment. Your BC sisters are here for you. XXX

• magdalene51
    magdalene51 Member Posts: 2,062
    edited December 2014

Mommacat4, if you're new here, you might not have seen this one. Now you've had a BMX, you need a laugh about it.

• fujiimama
    fujiimama Member Posts: 236
    edited December 2014

ykyacpw You have a one of those you look familiar greetings. So you start talking an suddenly the other person goes" That's it you were bald then" She said it with such joy and enthusiasm. I was just impressed she figured out where we had met before.

• rozem
    rozem Member Posts: 749
    edited December 2014

spookie - yes she is a maltese mix, we aren't sure what the mix is because she was a dog rescue.  We got her for my mom when my dad passed away to keep her company and she has been amazing! you are right, the best comfort dog

• mommacat4
    mommacat4 Member Posts: 60
    edited December 2014

Magdalene51,

That is so hilarious. I laughed so hard. .

I got a statement from the hospital today for my mastectomy, I have tissue expanders in and they put a little fill in after surgery or during surgery. The cost just for the tissue expanders is 37,000.00 (I rounded that up but just a little) I told my husband "no wonder the doctor had them registered, you might want to call the insurance company and increase the coverage" Dh laughed at me but I was serious.

Thanks for your humor...

• First_Wild_Signs
    First_Wild_Signs Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2014

When I encourage my dentist to get an ultrasound after mammogram and she is more afraid of the ultrasoundthan I am of a root canal.

• sas-schatzi
    edited December 2014

Interesting Momma, wonder how we find the answer?

• spookiesmom
    edited January 2015

bump

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited January 2015

YKYACPW -- when the first thing you do after an auto accident is check your implants. .......LOL