Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• Beachbum1023
    Beachbum1023 Member Posts: 364
    edited January 2015

Hi mommacat4, I always took a frozen ice block to put on the back of my neck during chemo to cut the headache. It always worked for me.

YKYACPW you run to the bathroom because you have to go NOW, and you think you made it but you see funny spots on the shower curtain, and the floor, and you guessed it, potty fail! And we laugh because we were so close this time!!

YKYACPW you think your toenails look like they should be on a dinosaur, and you actually hope they fall off before sandal season!

YKYACPW you wear all of your old shirts to chemo just because they will be thrown away as soon as you get home. Never to be seen again!

• fujiimama
    fujiimama Member Posts: 236
    edited January 2015

YKYACPW you are going to the airport and purposefully wear a survivor shirt. TSA doesn't say anything about my med bag when I wear it. Although getting scanned with prosthetic boobs was fun. I got pat down more than once. "It's Okay, I wont feel a thing."

• Beachbum1023
    edited January 2015

YKYACPW you need a laugh and start reading the best funnies ever from page 1. And this is the third time!

YKYACPW you break down and go commando to the store to buy new panties, just because you are too tired to do laundry.

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited January 2015

Go girl! Did something similar in Disney Orlando in July several years ago due to being drenched in sweat (was pregnant at the time) I only told DH and that was on the way home.

• Beachbum1023
    edited January 2015

YKYACPW you take a shower, and wash and condition your hair even though it is 1/2" long! But the fragrance of the conditioner brings tears to your eyes.....just because you remember the last time you really washed your own hair.

• AlexaP
    AlexaP Member Posts: 90
    edited January 2015

YKYACPW You wear your survivor shirts to the gym because all the guys are lifting 150 pounds on the machines and they want to make fun of you because you're only lifting 10.

I SURVIVED cancer buddy - so get outta MY way!!! 💪💪💪

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited January 2015

Alexa,

You go girl!! Happy

• Beachbum1023
    edited January 2015

AlexaP, I bet they won't mess with you ever again! :) So you know you are a cancer patient when you lift 10 pounds, and feel great that you could! I'll catch up soon, I am at 5 pounds per arm.

• feelingfeline
    edited January 2015

Well done Alexa!

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909
    edited January 2015

Yeah, Alexa!

• AlexaP
    edited January 2015

Thanks guys! the first time I went to the gym after my mastectomy 18 years ago... All bloated (I went during chemotherapy) ...some jerk started making fun of me to some girl he was trying to impress... He says "no one wants to see that, we want to see hot girls like you". I got off the treadmill and said "I have cancer you jackass". It got real quiet after that but he never apologized. I was infuriated. It took everything I had not to punch him in the you know where... Hence the survivor shirt! Luckily we moved and I go to a different gym but the survivor shirt appears often anyway... Although my new gym is MUCH friendlier anyway

• Ariom
    Ariom Member Posts: 4,027
    edited January 2015

Oh Alexa, what an experience with that numbnut! Glad you have a more friendly Gym these days!

• robinlk
    robinlk Member Posts: 363
    edited January 2015

YKYACPW - you are going through menopause and puberty at the same time.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909
    edited January 2015

AlexaP--I wonder if the gal that jack @ss was trying to impress thought about the whole thing. . . .

• feelingfeline
    edited January 2015

Wow Alexa, not surprised you can remember that jerk and your own response years later. Well done you for showing him up.

• Beachbum1023
    edited January 2015

YKYACPW the telemarketers called to try to sell me the extended warranty on my brand new Cruze and I tell them that I have Stage IV breast cancer and my warranty will expire before I have to worry about my new car! And she hung up...........never said a word, just hung up!

• rockym
    rockym Member Posts: 382
    edited January 2015

YKYACP when you line up your family pics for the last 4 years, not to see the family as much, but to see the progression of your hair growth!

• feelingfeline
    edited January 2015

Beachbum that's appalling! No "I'm so sorry to hear that..." ? Wow. Well you are guarranteed a sympathetic ear here. XXX

• Beachbum1023
    edited January 2015

Hi feelingfeline, I was so happy to get rid of her, I just laughed. I just bought the car in September, and it has 1700 miles on it! Extended warranty, really. Just annoying, but I am pretty sure I know how to get rid of the next telemarketer!

YKYACPW you try to clean out your closet, and you end up keeping all the jeans and shorts you have just because I never know what size I will be next season, or next treatment.

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879
    edited January 2015

Beachbum - Up until recently I too have kept various sizes of clothing in my closet because ya just never know. I also have some rings that I had re-sized prior to dx (had to get them made larger). Now they are way too big due to weight loss. Would really like to wear them but am afraid to have them re-sized for fear I will gain weight and they will be too tight again. Talk about the yo-yo diet.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited January 2015

Check at a Jewler for ring guards. A bit of a nuisance, but much cheaper and less hassle than re-sizing.

• feelingfeline
    edited January 2015

Barsco, I had that ring problem. Got my wedding and engagement ring made bigger before surgery then had to get them made bigger again directly after but now they are a little too big. I didn't wqant to get them sized down as some days I need that extra space, but was afraid i might accidently loose important rings. My solution was I bought a plain silver ring, cost the equivalent of about $20. Because it is an inexpensive ring the band is quite slim and could be easily cut open with a scissors if needed. I wear this smaller ring last on the finger I have my wedding and engagement rings on and it stops the two important rings from falling off.

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879
    edited January 2015

Thanks for the tips spookiesmom and feelingfeline. I would really like to be able to wear my rings again.

• mommacat4
    mommacat4 Member Posts: 60
    edited January 2015

I agree with spookiesmom, get the ring guards. They also have ring spacers if your rings are too big.

What are you ladies going to do in a year or two when you are back to normal size and rings are huge? Do you just get them shrunk again? I would think all that work on them would weaken them too much. I have been married for 24 years and after about the 10th year my original rings started getting way too thin on the underside of the ring. I replaced the rings with another set only to discover that set makes sores on and between my fingers so I don't wear wedding rings anymore. I do however have an anniversary band that I got for our 10 year and I always wear that.

• AlexaP
    edited January 2015

You can always get new bands welded onto the rings. I had my engagement ring, & wedding ring welded together so they line up right, if you have a good jeweler they can do it for you for very little money...

• spookiesmom
    edited January 2015

I swelled so badly with the reaction to Taxotere I had my rings cut off. Then the LE moved farther into my hand, so I can never wear my rings again. I'm thinking about just having the setting puton an O ring and wearing on a chain.

• feelingfeline
    edited January 2015

Sorry to hear Sad

• AlexaP
    edited January 2015

Sorry Spookiesmom that's the pits... 😿

I have a couple of friends who wear their rings on chains...

• phgraham
    phgraham Member Posts: 909
    edited March 2015

YKYACP when you go out to dinner and don't care when you notice that the bandage and tail from your port being acessed is hanging out of your blouse. Nothing like looking like a science project!

phyllis

• spookiesmom
    edited March 2015

oh Phylo!!!!!!!