Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• fujiimama
    fujiimama Member Posts: 236
    edited March 2015

good one SillyHeart

YKYACPW you're having a painful day and your husband suggests you use the motorized shopping cart at WalMart- you look at him and say "Not at Wal-Mart, they're crappy and never charged, and I am not that fat." It was a total no filter moment. My husband just laughed. We're both bigger people, but at that moment I just didn't want to go through the whole judgment thing. When I was bald it easier to use them. Nobody says anything when you look like a cancer patient.

• First_Wild_Signs
    First_Wild_Signs Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2015

When a day after your BMX you're comforting and reassuring your crying nurse because she "thinks" she "might" have cancer while also encouraging her to getan MRI.

• mommacat4
    mommacat4 Member Posts: 60
    edited March 2015

YKYACPW, after 2 months of not having any hair, you get out of the shower and reach for your hair to put it up in a towel then start laughing because you realized what you have just done.

• georgiarai
    georgiarai Member Posts: 60
    edited March 2015

When you dream that Bob Seger is your dad but you never see him because he left you at boarding school & doesn't want to make the 2 hour drive to visit, which is just as well because you're failing all your courses partly due to the fact that you don't remember what classes you have, and partly because your eyesight is failing... a symptom your visiting oncologist says you're faking -

all because in real life, you had a stomach bug & were too sick to take your Effexor for 2 days.  It's freaky, the games that stuff can play with your mind.

• Beachbum1023
    Beachbum1023 Member Posts: 364
    edited March 2015

YKYACPW - after having no hair since last August, I finally have my real hair and it's over a inch long, and I still wear my wig because she looks better than my real hair that needs a color job! My real hair is super soft and dark brown with a lot of gray now. Which I had no clue when I shaved it off since I have had it colored for years. I was more freaked out by the gray that is growing in than shaving it off! I guess I have 50 shades of gray!

• JustJean
    JustJean Member Posts: 170
    edited March 2015

Yeah, Beachbum, I hear ya. I had chemo Aug of 2010 if I remember correctly and ventured out in public without my wig around Christmas time. I had about a half inch of tightly curled ALL GRAY hair. That was quite the shock. And I went instantly into the "old woman" culture and the difference in how people treated me was startling. I didn't like it one little bit.

I now use a more natural hair color - I have to buy it at Whole Paycheck (I buy several at a time) and then when I go for my hair appointments they use it and take off a good chunk of my bill.

JJ

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited March 2015

BeachBum, the grey hair grows back first, really strong. Mine grew back totally grey (at 45) I HATED it. I had never in my pre-BC days had my hair coloured,as it was only had a few grey hairs here and there.....now I had an entire head of grey and of course looking like I had had a marines haircut as well. The good news is that your not so grey hair will follow, it just takes a bit of time. XXX

• bcky
    bcky Member Posts: 70
    edited March 2015

At 46 they give you the ten % gross receipt total Senior Discount at the Grocery Store.

True Story. Happened Thursday. Cancer has aged me. People used to say previous to dx that I did not look beyond my early thirties.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited March 2015

Geez, what grocery is this????

• Beachbum1023
    edited March 2015

feelingfeline, thank you! All this BC stuff, just gets us one way or another. I was always told that I looked just like my Mother, until I lost all of my hair. Now I look just like my Dad! Ugh!

• JustJean
    JustJean Member Posts: 170
    edited March 2015

YKYACP when you are in a fast food restaurant and order coffee and they automatically give you the Senior Discount. I was not happy.

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited March 2015

Beachbum I-absolutely-Know-What-Ya-Mean, it was exactly the same for me, my Dad being bald, when I was bald I was SOOO like him even I could see it every time I looked in the mirror. Thankfully that phase passed too..Nerdy

• robinlk
    robinlk Member Posts: 363
    edited March 2015

YKYACP - when you go to the drive thru at the pharmacy with your husband and the person asks? "How can I help you gentlemen?"

• magdalene51
    magdalene51 Member Posts: 2,062
    edited March 2015

YKYACPW... The other day my cousin and I went to the grocery store. The ice was thawing outside so there was an Wet Floor sign in the doorway. I bumped it on the way out and as I leaned over to pick it up I heard a young lady's voice say, "Don't worry, sir, I'll get that."

Sir, indeed.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited March 2015

Hahaha...these crack me up.

I was still pretty bald, and washing my hands in a public ladies loo.  A woman came in, looked at me, went back out to look at the sign on the door, and came back in again.

I laughed all afternoon.

• phgraham
    phgraham Member Posts: 909
    edited March 2015

YKYACP for too long when you start thinking up pranks to pull on the nurses. Or maybe that's just me.Loopy

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited March 2015

It's not just you, Phgraham. Last week I started a new drug (Navelbine) and after the infusion went to get my port de-accessed. Now, the next day was a holiday called Purim, which is a very joyous and lighthearted day. That's also when kids wear costumes. So as she was getting stuff out of the drawers and had her back to me I said, "I think I'm having a strange reaction to the new drug". She immediately turned around - to see me with a red clown nose on.

Heeheeheeheehee.

Leah

• phgraham
    phgraham Member Posts: 909
    edited March 2015

lol, Leah. That was great!!

Phyllis

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited March 2015

That's wonderful Leah and a big Hi Phyllis.

• magdalene51
    magdalene51 Member Posts: 2,062
    edited March 2015

Leah, that's hilarious

• mommacat4
    mommacat4 Member Posts: 60
    edited March 2015

leah, that's a good one. Lol

• georgiarai
    georgiarai Member Posts: 60
    edited March 2015

Too funny, Leah!

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,606
    edited March 2015

Love it Leah!!!

• Beachbum1023
    edited March 2015

YKYACPW - you mark the passing of time by the "new" seasons, chemo, surgery, rads!

• thatsme58
    thatsme58 Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2015

I'M BACKKKKKKK!!!!!! Im still here although none of my sisters or the rest of my family even speak to me because they thought I created chemo brain back in 2010!!! Can I get an OMG??? In retrospect it wasn't really safe for me to work in my particular job. Thank Someone I wasn't still in finance! I'm still doing hereceptin every 21 days and zometa every 28. Lifetime plan is what my onc calls it! Slept thru chemo, collapsed into bed but couldn't sleep thru rads, twice,steroids made me mean but I'm such a bitch already all anyone did was talk behind my back in in the dam Walmart about how mean I was, AND. I had NO CHOICE but but to work thru it all. Cracked my ribs shaking a rug at work 2 yrs ago, thought it was a heart attack, but my ❤️doc said no. I see him every six months now for and Echo. Initially had a mugga scan. It was 3 fractured ribs, re fractured them six months later puking from a new antidepressant. ( insert heavy sigh here)

Blah blah blah we all have our stories but that's a snippet of mine. Approaching that dreaded five year mark scares the shit out of me

Thanks for reading this far!

Signed,

SomelonelyoldbitchthatwishesshewereinHawaiiwithJorge

• lisa137
    lisa137 Member Posts: 32
    edited March 2015

YKYACPW - you get undressed, drop all your clothes onto the floor, including bra with foobs still inside, lose balance a bit and then say to your husband "Damn, I stepped on my boob," and his calm and unsurprised reply is "You didn't bust it, did you?"

• Bluebird-DE
    Bluebird-DE Member Posts: 1,233
    edited March 2015

Loopy Lisa - made me grin.

YKYACPW you break your ankle plus an arm n fingers so cannot put on a bra for weeks n realize over a month later you have been decidedly lopsided. but you don't care. the freedom of no bra makes you give them up forever.

• SuzyBlue
    SuzyBlue Member Posts: 84
    edited March 2015

I have spent the last two weeks reading this thread (usually instead of housework lol) and enjoying the ability of everyone to laugh at themselves.

I feel guilty for complaining when I haven't been through half of what most of you have, but for me, I know I've been a cancer patient when.......having one sore, hot, cyst filled boob and one cold numb foob on the same chest is the new normal!

........when you whip off your clothes to try on a new dress with a pair of shoes you like, in the shoe shop! Oops there goes my lack of modesty showing, again.

• SuzyBlue
    SuzyBlue Member Posts: 84
    edited March 2015

bump

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909
    edited March 2015

YKYACPW you compare the soreness and aches and pains from being in a 75 car pile up to the pain of having abscesses in a radiated breast and rate it around a 3 out of 10, even though you can barely walk!