Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• Firni
    Firni Member Posts: 521
    edited August 2010

wigs, balls and easter eggs.  Tears are pouring down my face!!!!!!!!  Thank you  

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited August 2010

LMAO.........this has got to be the best thread yet.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited August 2010

OK, I have taken my Vicoden and rereading and laughing hysterically again. Ok me Maine sister, what the heck does "ROTFLMAO" mean-I am laughing at it but no idea why. I feel I must give the Vulcan handwave-go forth and prosper! ((((HUGS))) SV

• Firni
    Firni Member Posts: 521
    edited August 2010

Hope you don't mind me answering, Maine.   Rolling On The Floor Laughing My A$$ Off

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited August 2010

I love the dressing room story!  I can just see that!!!

I love that I am not the only one who has sideways pee issues!  I hate it!  I used to do the squat at public restrooms, but can't anymore.  I might pee into the stall next to me.  Now I have to get there in time to put the paper cover on the toilet seat and sit down and still hope I don't pee on myself!!!

You know you're a cancer patient when you enter the strange world of wigs.  And in Vegas, there are some crazy wig places!  I've just learned that this week.  I bought a brunette wig and I'm waiting to surprise (or scare) my husband with it!!!  I am naturally brunette, but in 13 years, he's only seen me as blonde. LOL!!!

• AnacortesGirl
    AnacortesGirl Member Posts: 119
    edited August 2010

You know you're a cancer patient when you get excited about the extra room you have in that bathroom drawer where you used to keep the tampon (normal and super) and light day pads.  Throw them away because chemopause is here!  Then it gets filled up with Telfa pads, drain guaze pads, large guaze pads, 3 types of tape, aqua pads, large silvadene bottle, calendua lotion, vitamin E lotion and all the other stuff left over from surgery and rads.  Now you have even less room in the drawer!

You know you're a cancer patient when you spend your time in bed thinking about "what if?" and you spend your waking hours thinking "why not?".

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,907
    edited August 2010

Thanks, Firni!

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited August 2010

omg the cop story was the best so far.love this thread.

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited August 2010

I was having trouble getting going today and found this thread, thanks  all. the laughs will get me out the door and off to my rads.

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited August 2010

when you are so behind on hair trends that someone enthusiastically telling you about her new Brazillian Blow Out has to explain to you what she's talking about because you've never heard of it... and you're secretly thinking, $175 to treat frizzies?... give me a break!... I'm just so happy I have hair again, I can't imagine ever having a bad hair day

_____________________________________________________________________________

"The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears" Native American proverb
    Diagnosis: 2/1/2008, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 1/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited August 2010
    okay....I'll bite... what IS a Brazillian Blow Out? Embarassed
  • KittyDog
    KittyDog Member Posts: 656
    edited August 2010

When you find yourself crying for no good reason. 

Needless to say I am having the blues yet again.  Why...I don't know because I should be happy that I am currently cancer free.  but....those darn if's just come when you least expect them.

Love the cop story too.

• dlb823
    edited August 2010

hahaha!  Glad I'm not the only one who didn't know!   It's a new straightening treatment.  I had to look it up.  It evidently makes your hair straight enough to step out of a shower and go (according to the gal I was talking to yesterday)... $175 bucks (at least here in So. CA)... lasts about 2 mos.  As far as I can tell, it's a salon-only process.

• dlb823
    edited August 2010

hahaha!  Glad I'm not the only one who didn't know!   It's a new straightening treatment.  I had to look it up.  It evidently makes your hair straight enough to step out of a shower and go (according to the gal I was talking to yesterday)... $175 bucks (at least here in So. CA)... lasts about 2 mos.  As far as I can tell, it's a salon-only process.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited August 2010

...when your 80 year old mother calls YOU for advice on dealing with constipation.

...when you discover, thru chemo baldness, that you inherited the shape of your father's head.

...when you can't remember the third thing you were going to type - aargh chemo brain!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited August 2010

My hair is so straight my bangs don't even curve on my forehead.. I get perms for body! Human nature is scary!!!!

• Lowrider54
    Lowrider54 Member Posts: 333
    edited August 2010

AnacortesGirl  - I just thought I would comment on your initial post - as you can well tell, this is one of the best loved threads on the entire board - I think your 'lead balloon' got pumped full of laughing gas...between the posts I can relate to, the ones that make my belly hurt from laughing so hard (and those that are ROFLMAO) and the ones that have promted me to share...you have quite a hit on your hands!

...when your air conditioner goes out on the hottest day of the season on a Saturday and you call for service and it will be days - until you ask in a meek voice that if there was anything they could do to get someone out today, heat and terminal cancer are not a good combination.  The wonderful lady puts you on hold in just a couple minutes, comes back to let you know someone will be out today.  And they were in about 2-3 hours!  My first time in this mets journey that I  played the cancer card - boy, is it giving me ideas!!  Not really!  I was so timid about using it but 90+ and upper 70's dewpoints...I really wasn't going to be doing too well. 

...when you play the 'cancer card' and it actually works and start thinking of other ways to use it!  Of course, guilt prevents you from taking too much advantage.

...when after playing the 'cancer card' and getting your A/C fixed, you go out an play in the heat to celebrate just so you can run back in the cool house and revel in your accomplishment!

...when you realize just how in control you are (not bursting into tears) when a big bad thing happens yet, forgetting to stop the night before for 1/2 and 1/2 for your coffee sends you into a 15 minute sob-fest.

It was quite the weekend...

• Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490
    edited August 2010

I had a nice thing happen also - I flew to Florida with my family during chemo and the flight home was going to be a 5 hour trek with a stop in Tennessee. I called Southwest Airlines the night before because I knew that I would not be able to take that long traveling. They told me that to switch my family would cost $600, but the travel time would be 2 hours. I told them I was on chemo for breast cancer and their tone changed immediately. I was transferred to a customer care rep. and she had us on that flight for no cost at all. People can be amazing...

• DesignerMom
    DesignerMom Member Posts: 730
    edited August 2010

dlb823-Thanks for clarifying what a Brazilian is.  I must be behind trends as usual.  I thought a Brazilian was where they ripped every hair OFF (down there, not on your head).  I just can't imagine paying someone good money to do that!

still vertical- You are not alone.  I had to ask my son what ROTFLMAO meant!

• dlb823
    edited August 2010

No, you're right, DesignerMom... that's also a Brazilian (wax)... 2 different things, but we get that one free of charge with chemo.

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited August 2010

You know you're a cancer patient when you decide to make a list of the things you like about chemo:

1. You didn't have to shave your legs for 6 months

2. There is nothing else.

hmmm....

Leah

• Lady_Madonna
    Lady_Madonna Member Posts: 313
    edited August 2010

WAIT!!!  Leah, I can think of one more...

No periods!!  

Alas, it seems that my ovaries are kicking back into gear... I am now bald AND have acne!  

It's just not fair...

• Latte
    Latte Member Posts: 141
    edited August 2010

Leah - I don't even have that one - despite losing almost all hair everywhere, the leg hairs and stray eyebrow hairs (the ones I would pluck anyway) are still ploughing through...

On the other hand, my skin has cleared up with chemo, and I now know that I will never willingly get a Brazilian wax... (too many pee direction issues...)

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited August 2010

Lady Madonna, I didn't have that SE from chemo - I was 58. But the chemo occasionally gave me acne!

Latte, I can't believ the leg hair is staying!  That is Seriously Unfair.

Leah

• Lady_Madonna
    Lady_Madonna Member Posts: 313
    edited August 2010

It's official...

Chemo STINKS!!!  Yell

• dutchgirl6
    dutchgirl6 Member Posts: 322
    edited August 2010

Amen to that!

• dutchgirl6
    dutchgirl6 Member Posts: 322
    edited August 2010

You know you're a cancer patient when you can't walk past your computer without clicking on the refresh icon to see if there are any new postings on bc.org, especially this forum!

• gutsy
    gutsy Member Posts: 26
    edited August 2010

You know your a cancer patient when your ten year old son holds your hand in public again and hugs you spontanuously when he sees you.

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited August 2010

you know you're a cancer patient when.............you wear a v-neck shirt thinking it's high enough until you bend over your desk and realize that your foobs have dropped forward and you're flashing scars not boobs to your male co-worker.

when you're so used to feeling like crap that you are running a fever from a sinus infection and didn't even realize it.........or is it the hotflashes hiding the fever?

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,874
    edited August 2010

Well said gutsy.

.....when your 2 cats stay by your side all day and all night.