Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited August 2010

When you have a dream that your doctor and their staff are walking around bare assed in hospital gowns and giving the patients scrubs because it's opposite day...

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited August 2010

Oh Verticle....I snorted!!! Too funny! ehehehhehehehehe

• Firni
    Firni Member Posts: 521
    edited August 2010

Well now, opposite day sounds fun.  think they'd do it?

• auriga
    auriga Member Posts: 119
    edited August 2010

When you pluck out one of your few whispy strands of hair to measure it with a ruler just to make sure the growth is progessing at a normal rate. (1/2 inch a month).

Yes, I actually did this. Several times. 

• lorrhaw
    lorrhaw Member Posts: 17
    edited August 2010

I love the idea of opposite day.  Does that mean I get to stick a drainage tube in one of their armpits that they have to wear around for 2 weeks?  I hate this thing I have been wearing for a week now!  We can send a man to the moon but they can't come up with something smaller and less painful for drainage?

• Stanzie
    Stanzie Member Posts: 1,611
    edited August 2010

When it took me two full days of really trying to find this thread but it didn't occur to me to look under "subject!"

Everyone keeps telling me my new breasts look and feel so natural then my son with Down Syndrome comes up and puts his head on my chest and immediately picks his head up saying , " oooh, now this is different?" 

When you flood your house from upstairs down because you turn on the water and promply never give it another thought. Then don't even hear the water gushing and the three large water falls downstairs! Then remember your Mom did the same thing when she had cancer - exactly the same thing and same outcome...

Seeing the look in my kids eyes when I try and explain without really saying it why I'm so tired and why I need extra help around the house.

Brilliant thread - so glad I was finally able to find it....

• DesignerMom
    DesignerMom Member Posts: 730
    edited August 2010

When between BCO and researching medical stuff, you spend more time online than all of NASA combined!

I'm with all the rest of you "bookstackers", I have a pile of them next to my bed.  I move them and clean, tidy the stack ....then do it all over again.  You would think I would put them away as I can't read enough to comprehend anything.  My bookclub is starting up again.  Boy my input is going to be brilliant this year!

Oh!  On the subject of kitchen appliance challenged.  I found a filled ice cube tray in the oven!!!

• DesignerMom
    edited August 2010

Adey- I just can't stop laughing about your dream and opposite day.  Maybe we should all dress up for opposite day on Halloweeen!  Oh imagine the get-ups!

• Lady_Madonna
    Lady_Madonna Member Posts: 313
    edited August 2010

Stanzie, welcome to the fun!!

Designermom, you and me both- logging in the hours!  Too bad we can't get paid for all this medical research, huh?!  

My solution for all the books is to share them with my other bc friends... haha!!  Guess we're all just a big bookstacking circle!

LMAO over the ice cube tray in the oven... hahaha!  We are a hilarious bunch!!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited August 2010

... when your sense of smell is so heightened from chemo, that you know things about people just from walking past their houses, by the scents in the air.  For example: what brand of fabric softener sheet they're using in the dryer, what they're cooking for supper, or if they smoke.  I'm so sensitive to cigarette smoke now, I can actually tell if the people in the car in front of me on the highway are smokers!  (gross)  OTOH, I can smell a flower garden at 100 paces!  (lovely)

• Lowrider54
    Lowrider54 Member Posts: 333
    edited August 2010

when sending your young son for an overnight so you can go on an overnight, you send your clothing with him and his clothing comes with you, leaving you in the only thing you have to wear - the Halloween costume you wore to the party. 

• dutchgirl6
    dutchgirl6 Member Posts: 322
    edited August 2010

...when you go to pay for something with your credit card, and you panic because it doesn't recognize your pin, then you realize that you pulled out the wrong card, and you give the clerk the right card, but then you can't remember your pin.

• dutchgirl6
    edited August 2010
    Opposite day does sound like fun, does that mean that they will have to shave their heads too?  Gee, Stanzie, that was certainly a reality check from your son, the hugs must feel different to him.  Lady Madonna, it's good to know that all those books are being kept in circulation. 
  • Lynne3times
    Lynne3times Member Posts: 13
    edited August 2010

When you go for a PET scan and you sign and date all three forms, 10/25/10, the thought finally dawns on you that you are wrong, scratch out, initial and write 9/25/10. Lady at the desk just looks at you and quietly states that it is August and not September. Swear to god this just happened to me today........ Chemo brain? ME??? nawwwww............

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited August 2010

...when peolple ask your name and you promptly state your date of birth, adress  and the fact that your are not pregnant.

• Stanzie
    Stanzie Member Posts: 1,611
    edited August 2010

Oh this is dreadful but Badger speaking of smells - I can tell when women are using certain brands of sanitary napkins! Oh sorry this really sounds dreadful but once I could tell I told my daughter she could chose anykind but that one.....

• dutchgirl6
    edited August 2010
    Oh my, Stanzie.  I thought that I had a sensitive nose because I can identify the kind of fabric softener or laundry detergent a person uses....
  • dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited August 2010

When you're watching TV, the phone rings, and you pick up the remote, put it to your ear and say hello... and for a split second, you're surprised that there's no one there!    (I just did that!)

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited August 2010

sorry, lately I keep double posting... thought it was my computer, but maybe it's also chemobrain? 

_______________________________________________________________________________

"The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears" Native American proverb
    Diagnosis: 2/1/2008, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 1/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited August 2010

LMAO Again!!!!! OMG - these are so funny!!!!

The remote reminded me of something I've done quite a few times since being diagnosed.

.....when you're standing at your door hitting the "unlock" button over and over on your keychain and can't figure out why the door won't open - that is until you realize you're trying to unlock your front door with your car remote...............the front door needs a key.

• DesignerMom
    edited August 2010

dlb823-  Oh, laughing again.  Then I remembered something my family always brings up to make fun of me.  When I was a teen I went to make a call in a phone booth (remember those?).  I lifted the receiver and put the dime in my ear!  My brother still makes fun of that!  Can't blame everything on chemo!

• dutchgirl6
    edited August 2010

Ah yes, the phone booth.  Phone calls cost ten cents......

Maybe it was anticipatory chemo brain, DesignerMom

• AStorm
    AStorm Member Posts: 1,393
    edited August 2010

...when your start to give your dog her dose of antibiotic but out of force of habit you pop it in your own mouth and swallow it... without water

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited August 2010

lol dlb, i've one very similar

when you try to change the channel with the handset.

• Monty
    Monty Member Posts: 146
    edited August 2010

Jenn3

That just reminded me of something I did..... after shopping went to the parking lot, climbed in my car, coudln't get the darn thing to start then realized I was in someone else's car - whoops.  Luckily no-one was around to witness it, but boy did I feel stupid.  My DH laughed his a$$ off when I told him what I'd done.  Worse still I did again a few weeks later!!!

This forum has become a regular visit for me, I LMAO every day - it's great to see that all the stupid things I did everyone else does too.  And I thought I was the only one who had pee direction problems, thanks for sharing!

• sunnytn1949
    sunnytn1949 Member Posts: 15
    edited August 2010

I can't remember my PIN either...what's up with that?  Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't...the number doesn't change....chemo brain...at least I have an excuse when I do silly things..Wink It was two years yesterday when I was diagnosed with BC.  I didn't dwell on the date like I did last year. 

I love this board.  I look forward to reading it every day.  I can relate to everything!

You sisters ROCK!

love you all!

• AStorm
    AStorm Member Posts: 1,393
    edited August 2010

... when you act like you have chemobrain but you haven't even done chemo

• Lowrider54
    Lowrider54 Member Posts: 333
    edited August 2010

...when in the middle of conversation with a friend who has asked you if you have a padded envelope to mail a CD and you say yes and she says just to leave it on the kitchen table in case I am in the shower when she stops by and I ask what for and she says so she can pick it up and I say pick what up and she bursts into laughter - I say please, what the heck were we talking about, what am I supposed to leave on the kitchen table.  Duh, in seconds, it was just gone!  That was yesterday morning - geez.

• justpayton1
    justpayton1 Member Posts: 65
    edited August 2010

When you call a friend to fill her in on the lastest news..and she gently reminds you that you have already had this conversation the other day..really?!?

• flopsy
    flopsy Member Posts: 43
    edited August 2010

When you have more spare parts than real ones.

When you are disappointed when your hair on your legs  and underarms starts to grow back and you can't find the shaving cream and razor because you have not had to use them in months.

When you see a neighbor and are wearing your new wig and he tells you he likes your new haircut and has forgotten that your are bald from chemo.   

When your adult daughters come home and try on all your wigs(Ihave 3) and decide who gets them when you are through with them.  The youngest looked just like Joe Dirt on the movie in one of them.  Don't think I will wear that one anymore.