Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    edited September 2010

You know what drives me crazy about the brain fog of being a cancer patient?

Well..........it's when you make a list to take to the shops with you, then carefully gather all the listed items, wherever they may be and cross them off the said list..............only to find when unpacking at home later on.....or even the next day, when you go looking for a particular item...............you can't find it anywhere?

I can recall picking up items and reading the labels/instructions, selecting the ones I prefer, and then nada.......nothing..............zilch when I get home.

I have......sometimes...............found things in places where I would never put them.......and I have found odd brands that I would never buy.................and preferred brands that have changed their label design which I seem to be blind to................but where does the other stuff I never find disappear to?  

Maybe it's not chemo-brain at all, but my very own little troll trying to send me crazy!!

Sheila.

• Firni
    Firni Member Posts: 521
    edited September 2010

Sheila, your pix are awesome.  Please don't stop posting them.  Do you put your own groceries in the bag at the checkout?  Maybe you're just leaving some stuff there or leaving a whole bag in the cart!  Hope there isn't perishable stuff in the trunk of your car. LOL

I've found that my chemo brain is just a little less acute since I went back to work.  I really have to make an effort to concentrate tho.  Sometimes it just hurts my brain. 

• AussieSheila
    edited September 2010

I have a theory Firmi, that there are people who go around 'shopping' from other peoples carts! They see in your cart what they will have to walk 2 miles to the other end of the store to get, so they take what's handy........You know how you trawl through the mall sometimes with all your groceries on board, well others trawl through your 'stuff' when you are looking elsewhere and they don't have to pay for it. It's FREE!

Some of our stores the check-out chick packs your groceries as she goes..............others we have to pack ourselves.

I shouldn't complain I suppose, grocery searching can keep me busy for hours.

Sheila.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited September 2010

As long as it keeps you out of the kitchen it's all good!

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited September 2010

SV, love your pictures, love this place.

My daughter likes to play mind games with me.  So sometimes I don't remember if I said something and she says I didn't, or visa versa....

• Stanzie
    Stanzie Member Posts: 1,611
    edited September 2010

oooh mind games! My ex- used to do that and my sisters still do it - drives me crazy. Hopefully my teenagers won't figure out I easily forget everything - then I'll really be in trouble!

OK, so last year paid this company to come out and aerate and plant grass seed and they ran away with my money and never did the work ( I had had the company for several years) so this year haven't paid and I saw them come out but we are finally getting rain today and looked outside and I can't find a single grass seed. I know birds eat some but I have a huge yard so ??? I sometimes feel like I'm in the old Gas Light movie!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited September 2010

YKYACPW you go to wash your face in the morning and realize at the last second you still have your glasses on, but it's too late to stop yourself and you splash sudsy water all over your specs.   LOL!!

• DesignerMom
    DesignerMom Member Posts: 730
    edited September 2010

AussieSheila- LOL!  I bet people DO fish things out of our carts!  When I can't find things at home, I just balme it on DH or my son!  They are good sports about it.....or maybe they ARE to blame.

• mnmom
    mnmom Member Posts: 1,841
    edited November 2010

Looks like you had fun sailing, Did you see any stars???

OMGoodness these post reminded me,

YKYACPW....you leave a dozen eggs on the floor of your back seat after grocery shopping & do not remember about them for a couple of days.(glad it was not weeks)

.....when after even a year you put your foob in the wrong side of your bra pocket.Laughing

• Ca1Ripken
    Ca1Ripken Member Posts: 829
    edited September 2010

SV - great pics!!  Please cont. to post!! 

YKYACP when you tell your friend your mastectomy date is coming up, and her response is "YAY!!"

• ElaineM
    ElaineM Member Posts: 9
    edited September 2010

This thread is so funny. I am loving every minute of it !! 

I have one for you. You think your surgeon is funny, because he sends you home with stool softers after surgery when he knows you get diarrhea from your cancer meds. When you tell your oncologist after your surgery not to worry, because you will be well and back to your old tricks by the time of your next appointment with him.

• Laurie_R
    Laurie_R Member Posts: 54
    edited September 2010

All these missing items are being eatten up by the GREAT TRAVELING BLACK HOLE. Or all of the ghost that we have living with us have the same warped sense of humor. 

• barbe1958
    edited September 2010

The the ghosts are all wearing mis-matched socks they found "over there".

• DesignerMom
    DesignerMom Member Posts: 730
    edited September 2010

YKYACPW-  You have so many post its on the medicine cabinet, you can't see the mirror.  Then when you look at the post it "remember to call Sandra and Jerry"  you can't remember who the heck these people are!  Oh my!

When my son was little I bought him this fabulous stuffed toy " The Under the Bed Monster".  It has a kangaroo-like pouch filled with socks, lost buttons, and all kinds of things we lose track of.  I bet if I look in there, I might find some of Sheila's groceries!

• just4ann
    just4ann Member Posts: 103
    edited September 2010

When you accidently discover that your granddaughter's baby brush works perfectly for your hair.

• mnmom
    mnmom Member Posts: 1,841
    edited November 2010

just4ann, I bought one on purpose for my dome & wondered why they do not give them out at the onc????

• just4ann
    just4ann Member Posts: 103
    edited September 2010

When driving home from a follow up with your onocologist with the window down you keep trying to shoo the fly away from your legs. Then once you get home and are getting out of the car the sun catches you just right and you realize the hair on your legs have grown back and "fly" you couldn't get rid of was the wind blowing your leg hair.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited September 2010

hahaha good one Ann!

• dawney
    dawney Member Posts: 136
    edited September 2010

YKYACPW  you have to decide between the thinning hair look or your wig for church on Sunday.

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited September 2010

The groceries were probably taken by the little gremillion that steals our socks out of the washing machine.....

When my oldest daughter was a few weeks old I went to the grocery with my Mom for an outing without the baby.  I walked around put stuff in and out of the basket.  When I got to the check out line with the FULL basket of groceries I realized that most of what was in there wasn't mine.........oh my gosh where I had picked up the wrong basket????  I decided to purchase what I had and left the rest - I didn't know where or when the switch was made, but was sure I had "stolen" the basket because I was absent minded from having just had a baby.

• Firni
    Firni Member Posts: 521
    edited September 2010

I would love to know if the kangaroo has Sheila's groceries.  

Jenn, was there not good groceries that weren't yours?  I probably would have bought them all anyway.  Probably wouldn't have even noticed it wasn't my cart!

Onc won't give us a baby brush.  They keep telling us our hair will be better than ever. 

• JFV
    JFV Member Posts: 341
    edited September 2010

YKYACPW-  You read a post at the top of this page which reminds you of something funny you want to post and in the minute it takes you to read down to the bottom of the page you have completely forgotten what the funny post was!

• LadyinBama
    LadyinBama Member Posts: 993
    edited September 2010

ykyacpw

My DH found a folded up washcloth in his underwear drawer today. I checked the linen closet to see if any of his shorts were in there.

• LadyinBama
    LadyinBama Member Posts: 993
    edited September 2010

ykyacpw

My DH found a folded up washcloth in his underwear drawer today. I checked the linen closet to see if any of his shorts were in there.

• redsoxfan
    redsoxfan Member Posts: 63
    edited August 2013

When members of your family call you up and tell you that they've done a walk in your honor. 

Think there's going to be a lot of that for us in the next month or two.

God bless us all.

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited September 2010

When you think you're developing neuropathy in your toes and then realize your feet just hurt from wearing heels all night from your sister's wedding.  I haven't worn heels in a long time!  LOL!

When you're dancing to that song "Shout" (that everyone plays at weddings) and you get low and have a hard time getting back up when the music gets "a little bit louder now"  - boy do I feel old!

when you are truly fascinated by the new hair growing on your head, but horrified to find fuzz growing on your face!  I actually shaved my face!  Yuck!!!

• AussieSheila
    edited September 2010

Sshhhh.................<whisper>.....I don't tell many people this.............but my invisiible friend is a talking kangaroo that wears a glittery purple waistcoat.  

Do you think he............?

Sheila.

• Jane_M
    Jane_M Member Posts: 932
    edited September 2010

When you get on the elevator in the morning and just look at the numbers because you can't remember what floor you work on.

• barbe1958
    edited September 2010

When you can't open your office door this morning no matter how you turn the key....then realize you're using your house key. The sad part is... I ony have TWO keys on my keychain!!!!!

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited September 2010

Well, Barbe, at least with only 2 keys you didn't waste too much time trying to find the right one!

Leah