Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• stacys_mom
    stacys_mom Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2010

OMG!  Love it- I'm a few years out but I can still remember the day I starting peeing sideways and couldn't figure out what was happening!

• AStorm
    AStorm Member Posts: 1,393
    edited September 2010

YKYACP when you find yourself buying fresh herbs at the market because a gopher has destroyed your garden and you don't have the heart to harm him.

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited September 2010

Gail, I was like that before cancer...I love animals.

• AStorm
    edited September 2010

yeah, I was too. But before cancer I would have at least used wire mesh to keep him out. Now I'm planting carrots for him and using the wire mesh to keep the dogs out of the garden so they don't harrass him.

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited September 2010

When you are excited about seeing a few nose hairs grow in (and share this fun news with your hubby)! 

When you are NOT excited that the fuzz on your face is growing in again! 

I have hair all over my head now, it's very soft and fine (and white & dark) - but it's hair!!! 

I love the gopher story.  My hubby has found a couple mice in our garage.  He makes a trap out of a Home Depot bucket that he puts next to the bottom shelf of his work bench.  Then, he puts some olives and chips at the bottom.  When the mouse falls into the "trap" my DH takes him to a nearby field or park and sets him free.  This is one of the reasons why I married him.  He loves animals!  :)

• AStorm
    edited September 2010

When we first discovered the gopher my vegetarian daughter and I looked for a trap thinking that we would catch him and take him to the park but all the traps were clearly designed to kill the creature.

YKYACP when you can't watch hospital dramas anymore.

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997
    edited September 2010

AStorm you want to look for Hav A Hart traps. We have used them for Raccoons and squirels.

YKYACP when you have a wardrobe of hats that you would never otherwise wear. Daytime hats, sleep hats, going out in the car hats, to chemo hats, quick to put on to answer the door hats and even if they are cute you don't really like any of them.

YKYACP when you know hugging your dog is a gift to you. Sounds lame but if you have a dog you'll know. :) 

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    edited September 2010

YKYACPWhen..................you don't dare throw any of your scarves, hats, beanies out.........just in case................

Sheila.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited September 2010

Sheila is still on the dark side....uh oh.....

YKYACPW you recognize the dark side!

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    edited September 2010

Did I ever mention that I was a boy scout in a past life?

NO?...........................Yeah.........well..........I do like to be prepared for some things..........

Others.....I like to be surprised by..............the good stuff, at least!

Sheila.

• blossom
    blossom Member Posts: 15
    edited September 2010

would be grateful for any suggestions to stop this raging thirst ive had since docs changed my chemo,ive tried icepops,icecream, soft drinks iced water,every bone in my body is aching today,thank god for this page it always makes me smile x

• skigrl
    skigrl Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2010

When you are standing face to face with someone having a conversation and you notice the other person is constantly looking at your port/scar. Or when they learn you have breast cancer and their eyes go straight to your chest!?

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited September 2010

I find that when I mention breast cancer, if it's a guy,  his eyes LOCK on mine as if they're fighting to not look down! hehehehehehehe

• DesignerMom
    DesignerMom Member Posts: 730
    edited September 2010

blossom-  I posted this earlier, but it didn't appear.....technology voodoo!  I found I couldn't drink much of anything as it all tasted yucky after chemo.Instead,  I ate tons of juicy fruits, watermelon, cataloupe, peaches, honeydew to get more fluids.  If you find your "raging thirst" continues, do mentioon it to your docs as it could be another condition.  I know severe thirst is associated with diabetes. 

• KittyDog
    KittyDog Member Posts: 656
    edited September 2010

I don't think my foggy brain is ever going to improve.  Today I couldn't figure out why the key would not go in the lock.  I knew I had the right one because it has a pink holder on it.  Finally I check again to realize I am trying to shove two keys in the lock.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,907
    edited September 2010

YKYACPW you can rifle through a stack of prescriptions and know without having to look it up which ones to take to Wal-Mart for the $10/90 day price and which to take to the regular pharmacy and use your prescription plan for.  Not only that, but you know exactly how much each one will cost, and the total will be over $100. 

• dawney
    dawney Member Posts: 136
    edited September 2010

YKYACPW you tell your DH to watch your new trick - and you reach up and pull your hair out by the handfulls 

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited August 2013

YKYACPW you're out walking and are DELIGHTED to realize you can feel the wind in your hair for first time in seven months, as you remember walking in a stiff March breeze two weeks after your first chemo and watching your hairs floating away like dandelion fluff.

(edit to add the word delighted)

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited October 2010

Dawnsy, my family thought it was super fun to pull out my hair....sometimes they would even use tape or a lint roller...grr

• vivvygirl
    vivvygirl Member Posts: 171
    edited October 2010
    YKYACPW you wake up in the middle of the night and are convinced that you forgot to take your tablets.  Walk to the kitchen and get some water then start searching through your bedside drawers for you meds.  No meds there, so lay in bed for ages trying to figure out what tablets you actually take and what is missing.   Then remember that I had taken tablets and none of them are kept in the drawer you are searching through.    Think I am losing my mind Embarassed
  • kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited October 2010

when you really really have to go to potty, so you jump out of bed... then get distracted by a couple thoughts... "I really hope the Adivan works tonight" and " Oh crap, I need to eat a few prunes"  (no pun intended).  So, in the chemo brain distraction, I walk past the master bath, jump over the gate we put up for the dogs (twice because I didn't make it over the first time)... Then walk past the upstairs bathroom... then run downstairs and make it to the bathroom down there (on time - whew)! 

It takes a serious chemo brain to forget that you have to go the bathroom and pass 2 bathrooms on the way!!!

• Monty
    Monty Member Posts: 146
    edited October 2010

When the first thing you do before starting work in the morning is check out this thread cos you know it's guaranteed to make you laugh.

It's amazing how you can relate to every single post you see on here. When you're going through it it seems like the bad things will never end but afterwards you can laugh about some of the worst things.

Your husband tells you to go change your foob cos it's starting to deteriorate(manufacturing defect) and you hope it's covered under warranty because it's too expensive to just go buy another one, and you know you cannot claim for a new one for another 4 months (Canadian OHIP only allows one every two years unless you change size dramatically, and you know your chest isn't suddenly going to grow one by itself). But you don't want to think about having another surgery to have someone grow a new one for you.

• chrishat
    chrishat Member Posts: 10
    edited October 2010

YKYACPW you have lots of conversations that are very similar to this one:

15 year old daughter: i like this song!

Me: yeah, it's from that movie

D: which movie?

Me: oh, you know...that one...with that guy..and they..you know the one..oh i know i sound really stupid now honey..i'm sorry, you know, he has the hair..

D: no, not really following you here mom.

Me: oh my gosh, he dances at the end, and they have a party, and it has the guy in it who was in, oh, what is it called? Now it's driving me crazy..,,what is the name of that movie? who is that guy? what else was he in? why can't i speak english any more?

D: it's okay mom, never mind.

• Stanzie
    Stanzie Member Posts: 1,611
    edited October 2010

When you are carring a very full still warm choc. custard pie down the steps to the basement and are thinking gosh I hope I don't fall and splatter this everywhere but then think Oh I'd have something funny to write about on YKYACPW - that just is too strange....

chrishat - Oh my gosh I have those same conversations with my three! So confused....

• mnmom
    mnmom Member Posts: 1,841
    edited November 2010

YKYACPW....you send an email to yourselfEmbarassed

chrishat & Stanzie my kids think it is funny to see who can fill in the blank(S) firstUndecided

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997
    edited August 2013

YKYACPW when you are up very late and mindlessly viewing a Utube clip and your husband staggers out of the bedroom saying "what is that AWFUL noise? What is that horrible noise?  It is a horrible noise, it woke me up, turn it off." I quickly turned it off and apologized all the while realizing it had been madness to watch this clip late at night.

I had been watching a clip of the VIEW and the guests were 5 of the  Housewives of D.C.all arguing! My husband an otherwise toerant person can not stand to be in a room if the View is on and he will leave a room if any of the Housewives shows are on. Well, here I was with both of them on and viewing it through the worst Utube  video clip ever with tin can sound reproduction.

This morning I tried telling him it had been a dream but he wasn't buying it. When I explained what it actually was he could hardly believe it was possible to make eoither show worse. . I suppose you had to be here to appreciate the madness. I like to think I ordinarlily wouldn't have done this. 

• DesignerMom
    DesignerMom Member Posts: 730
    edited October 2010

YKYACPW- You borrow your son's cell phone to leave a reminder on your cell phone so you remember to do something when we get home.  I must admit I have always done this, even before chemo.

Kitty-  I guess that's the advantage of living in a NYC with only one bathroom....no chance of passing a few on the way there!  I can't get used to you as a brunette, though you look gorgeous!

• flopsy
    flopsy Member Posts: 43
    edited October 2010

YKYACPW--You run into friends and relatives with your wig on but rip it off to show off hair on your head that is so short you almost need a magnifying glass to see it.  It is about 1/16th of an inch all over.  Looks like a GI buzz that is growing out.  

Everyone compliments your creativity with hats and scarves and wigs with headbands and anything you can come up with to make a bald head more interesting.  Now you have a huge collection of all these things and soon hopefully won't need any of them.

• luanne
    luanne Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2013

thanks Faith

you are oh so right ... it wasn't as bad as I imagined and now have had my 2nd chemo treatment :) all good so far and feeling good 

ohh I know I'm not in my section but I have this stupid mind over matter thing that likes to make me faint if I read into the serious stuff to much  (lol I pass out if I paper cut my finger and see blood)

• mary840
    mary840 Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2010

You know you're a cancer patient when...

...Receiving a monthly shot is the "good" option.

...You complain to your onc that your parents gave all their good genes to your brothers and sisters and left you with the defective ones.  And she agrees!