Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,907
    edited October 2010

YKYACPW you dropped off prescriptions at 2 pharmacies yesterday, estimated that the total cost of all of them would be $105 and predicted that the regular pharmacy would not have the blood pressure medication in stock.  Today I went to both pharmacies in the pouring rain.  The total cost was $112 and the blood pressure medication won't be in until Monday afternoon. . .

Thank God I didn't have to get the Arimidex refilled this time around--that one cost's me $50 all by itself!  

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited October 2010

I don't have anything to add today, but love coming here for a good laugh.

• nativemainer
    edited October 2010

YKYACPW the breakroom discussion turns to the ages of the women present, and I get to say that I'm 51 years old, but I've got 16 year old boobs, thinking I'm being funny, and totally horrify my co-workers! 

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited October 2010

I love this thread - chrishat LMAO - can so relate to that conversation! 

NM - if they only knew what we really talk about, eh? 

{{leanne}} good vibes headed your way sister! 

YKYACPW you pee blue after sentinel node biopsy, from the dye they use. Surprised

• JFV
    JFV Member Posts: 341
    edited October 2010

Oh gosh Badger!  I remember being in the hospital after my BMX and  and wondering why hospital toilet water was navy blue.  It took me three or four trips to realize the water turned navy blue after I peed not before!

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482
    edited October 2010

luanne, doesn't matter if you don't want to go to those other scary sites - you're welcome here, and as long as you can stand our occasional graphic behavior, hang around!! 

YNYACPW ... you type N for know and don't bother going back to correct it cause that's how your brain worked at that particular moment and who cares anyway!!!!!   This is one of the best threads created ever ... hugs to all

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326
    edited August 2013

when you finally after a year of this crap work your first 40 hour work week.....not cuz everyone wasn't already but because appointments and such(feelin like crap) have kept you from it. Boy oh boy can I feel it. so tired.

• busqueen
    busqueen Member Posts: 37
    edited October 2010

YKYACPW.......you're running late for an appointment with your onc, and you yell out to anybody within hearing distance.."does anybody know where my boobs are?"

• dutchgirl6
    dutchgirl6 Member Posts: 322
    edited October 2010

busqueen, that's hilarious!

• AStorm
    AStorm Member Posts: 1,393
    edited October 2010

YKYACP when you just realized that over the past year you've been under general anesthesia 5 times, had 2 biopsies and your boobs are gone but you are still telling everyone you are lucky that they found it early.

• AStorm
    AStorm Member Posts: 1,393
    edited October 2010

YKYACP when you have the following conversation with your friend who also has bc:

Friend: I'm starting rads next week. My onco recommended this tea, it's called.... ummmm.

Me: is it an herb? yarrow? We went to see that movie with the roller derby women

Friend: what's it called?

Me: Ummm... oooo... it has that actress from that other movie... the one where she is pregnant and she's like 14... burdock, maybe?

Friend: Burdock? You mean Bullock? Sandra Bullock? She played a pregnant 14 YO roller derby girl? wow.

Me: no! the herb, burdock... the tea?

Friend: what tea?

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited October 2010

Who's on first?

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited October 2010

OMG, that sounds like almost all my converstions...glad it is not just me.

• nativemainer
    edited October 2010

What's on second? 

• marlegal
    edited October 2010

I don't know (third base)    As for that conversation, my sister and I talk like that all the time too.  We're going to VA together on Wed to meet up with other chatters for a few days.  We have a 6 hour train ride - we'll have about a hundred of those conversations, I'm sure!  Once in New Hope, PA, a vendor started laughing at us while we were looking at his jewelry.  We asked why, and he said "Have you ever listened to yourselves?"  We realized we had been having one of those type conversations, and we all just laughed about it.  Nothing like good times like those :)

• Lady_Madonna
    Lady_Madonna Member Posts: 313
    edited October 2010

YKYACP when two intelligent, capable women WITH a navigation system, but both with chemo brain, can't find their way around the city they've lived in for 14+ years!!!  Every day is a new adventure!!

When you're out to dinner with the same chemo friend and a lady in the restroom tells you you both have really pretty hair!!  You just look at each other and try to keep from cracking up as you tell her "Thanks!"  You really want to tell her "No, YOU have HAIR!!  We don't have ANY hair!!!  This isn't even HAIR!!!"  It's nice to know we have great wigs, tho!!  Wink   

KittyCat and I are quite a tour de force around Vegas!!  

***Happy Birthday to my beautiful and inspirational friend Heather/KittyCat!!!***

• BetsyP
    BetsyP Member Posts: 18
    edited October 2010

YKYHCW.....You take your best friend to chemo treatment with you and they bring around  lunch for the patients and you say to your best friend "do you want to share my cancer lunch with me?" And she say's " I would love to have some of your cancer lunch".

Then one day i had to go to the store and i totally forgot to cover my bald head and said to myself F*ck it and walked in the store with my bald held high!!!

xoxoxo

Betsy

• marlegal
    edited October 2010

wooo hooo Betsy!!!!   I did that a few times going for the mail, or bringing in trash, but not sure I ever made it to the car without a wig :)   always around the house though, and one time our "third" daughter (a friend of our oldest DD) came over with her new boyfriend and we didn't expect them so I was bald.  I totally forgot until about 10 minutes into the visit, and then I apologized to Brian who graciously said "no problem, that's cool"  When we were at their wedding about a year  later my hair was back in, and when we went through the receiving line, I reminded him that we had met the year before.  He kissed me and said "I remember - you look great with hair" !!!!   People behind us of course had no idea what he meant, and we had a good laugh :)

• dawney
    dawney Member Posts: 136
    edited October 2010

YKYACPW you think your bald head looks kinda cute...

• DesignerMom
    DesignerMom Member Posts: 730
    edited October 2010
    Lady Madonna-  Oh My!  Chemo+You +Kittycat+Vegas=one crazy, hilarious time! 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited October 2010

........when ya go into walmart with yer newly bald head and some kid gets close to you and screams "eewwoo...your not a boy!" Damn the secret is out!

....and you are trying to explain to the brat why you are baldheaded to make it an 'educational experience' and all you really want to do is bury her under the rack of beachballs!

......when you have a realy good 'swearing fit' locked up in your brain, ready to let loose and what comes out of your mouth does not resemble anything you were thinking of.

......when people on Facebook want to be your friend and you have no idea who they are. HMMM..such power...confirm or deny!!

I never did wear a wig of anything else-just let my freak flag fly! SV

• marlegal
    edited October 2010

i was one of the ugliest bald women i've ever seen ... had i been a pretty one, like many on here i've seen, i would have definitely gone wig-less the whole time probably.  alas, i was extremely surprised to find out that my stunning beauty didn't quite cut it hairless!!!  my vanity won out, not embarrassment.  couldn't even do hats - never could - so wigs for me.  luckily i had two great ones and they were very lightweight.  screwed with the men in work who didn't know i was doing treatment ... one was short blond, one medium length light brown!!!

• Lady_Madonna
    edited October 2010

Haha, Mary- how long did it take for the men to notice/figure it out?!

• Lady_Madonna
    edited October 2010
    YKYACPW you think it's a wonderful Saturday night sitting at home on your computer chatting with your cyber-sisters!!!  Smile
  • marlegal
    edited October 2010

Lady, one of the guys was so funny ... he would never look me in the eye!  Our managing partner sent an email to all staff a few weeks later, 'cause I did help desk type work and he wanted them to know I might not answer right away on tx days etc. so then they all knew :)   He was cool though, ran the email by me first and it was very complementary.  Another one of those little things that we remember in a good way from early dx days, ya know?

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326
    edited October 2010

I never wore anything either.

When you are standing in line at Wal-Mart with your bald head just a shinning and no dentures cuz of the mouth sores and your chewing gum and the little girl in front of you, looks back at you and says to her mom...Mommy, look at that man...he's blowing bubbles.

I didn't say anything, the look on her mothers face was enough. She was so embarrassed. I kinda felt sorry for her.

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997
    edited August 2013

YKYACPW when are in sleep delerium, hacking with a cough, you get off the toilet, pull up your pants and can't figure out at first why your pajamas are getting all wet in the back. You realize you have tucked toilet paper into your pajamas and the liquid from the toilet has now wicked up to your pj's. Then you think you have it all off of you and find you have somehow dragged some of it all the way back to your bed. I need normal sleep.

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited October 2010

when you are normally a very private person with a wide personal space who is reluctant to ask personal questions of anyone but your closest friends and when you hear a total stranger say something indicating that she may have BC you step forward and ask.  Before you know it you are comparing notes and hugging your new sister.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited October 2010

HAAHHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAAA Ginge! Been there done that! Felt the wet!! heehehhee

• mnmom
    mnmom Member Posts: 1,841
    edited November 2010

Ykyacpw...

. the cashier comparing you to your photo ID says WOW that is quite a hair cut you got

.....Oh my you really change your hair doo

3 of these at the same store I could not take anymore so I educated the cashier & the manager

Ykyacpw you are snacking at night & drop a cherrio down your robe & really can not find it???????