Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited September 2010

Yah, but I can usually pick the right one as I get near my door. And I thought I had!!

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326
    edited September 2010

when you go to your nephew's wedding...remember the present and forget the card...guess that's better than the other way around

• DesignerMom
    DesignerMom Member Posts: 730
    edited September 2010
    Sheila-  We all need a special secret friend and yours seem particularly stylish!  If he lets you in on any great news, please share.
  • blossom
    blossom Member Posts: 15
    edited September 2010

when ur 7yr old complains that their breakfast tastes funny....u realise that uv given the poor kid cat biscuits with milk on instead of cereal!  

cereal bars from now on lol x

• Latte
    Latte Member Posts: 141
    edited September 2010

OMG Blossom that is hysterical!!!!!!!!

• DesignerMom
    edited September 2010

OMG Blossom, did you fess up or just give the poor kid an new bowl of kid cereal?

• blossom
    edited September 2010

bless her shes such a good kid she did have a good go at eating it before she complained,i told her she thought the whole thing was helerious n told her teacher i feed her cat food for breakfast!!! ive got to go to a parents evening tomorrow night,that should be interesting....i felt that bad i stood n made her a bacon sandwich even though i cant stand the smell of them since i started chemo. She now supervises at breakfast time lol x

• JFV
    JFV Member Posts: 341
    edited September 2010

Blossom-  You have given me the best laugh of the day.  Tell your daughter we ALL LOVE HER!

• dawney
    dawney Member Posts: 136
    edited September 2010

Blossom - too funny!!

When you complain to your DH that the grapes you bought have absolutely no taste and he tries them and tells you they are delicious.   My taste buds are about gone!

• dutchgirl6
    dutchgirl6 Member Posts: 322
    edited September 2010

Blossom, you had me laughing out loud with that one.  Too funny, and your daughter sounds like a good sport.

When you type out the words "you know you're a cancer patient when" because it gets too confusing to remember the acronym for the words.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited September 2010

Oh Blossom, that is beyond hysterical. on the flip side, the ads I am seeing for catfood make it look better than human food. Next time, try a little sugar on it-or a lot!! TEEHEE!

.....every person you meet tells you how 'effervescent' you look and you say no not really and they say "no, you are glowing.' And you wonder if you are pregnant despite menopause! Either that or you must have look like a corpse beforehand!

....you make 10 trips in one day to the same grocery store bec you cannot remember to read what you wrote on your list and you have come home with nothing you need. Forgot the toilet paper-in the end-so to speak! xxooo, SV

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited September 2010

Blossom - LOL - glad to hear your daughter was a good sport and I can't wait to hear what the teachers have to say, or will they be laughing too hard?

SV - I was so young when the grocery thing happened, I think I was so embarrassed I just wanted out of the store.  If it happened now I know I'd have to laugh and go search for my buggie.

Kittykat - I had the white fuzzy hair on my face too, noticed on a mini vacation my sister took me on......shaved my face right there in the hotel room.  I'm with you yuck!

YKYACPW - you can share stories about having to shave your face with your BCO friends. Who else could relate?

• flopsy
    flopsy Member Posts: 43
    edited September 2010

Just shared the story about the kitty biscuits with DH and now he is wondering what I may have fed him that wasn't quite what he thought.  He did say quite a few times that things did not taste right but we thought I just wasn't having a good cooking day.   Thankfully, my brain is starting to be more normal and cooking is improving also.   My dog's cookie treats do look and smell especially tasty and we have decided that if we were starving we would probably eat them.

• gillyone
    gillyone Member Posts: 495
    edited September 2010

Kittykat - I shaved my face too - we had a big discussion about it at the time on the hair hair hair thread.

Blossom - love the breakfast story, and it's good to meet a fellow Brit although I have been in the US for a long time. My accent still gives me away. Where are you?

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204
    edited September 2010

When you know you're supposed to take some medicine, but not sure which one or how many or what time, so you say "Bring me some pills!"

• bookart
    bookart Member Posts: 210
    edited September 2010

YKYACPW you learn to swallow six or seven pills at once, versus the one pill per swallow of the rest of your life; because otherwise you'll be there all night swallowing pills.

• Stanzie
    Stanzie Member Posts: 1,611
    edited September 2010

I promise my son does not read this forum. Last night, he came upstairs with a guilty look on his face. I asked him and he admited to trying my dog's new chicken treats! He likes them! After he ate a little bit he said he looked on the package to make sure there wasn't any worm prevention or anything since it all looked good he went back to eating. Now I have to hide the dog's treats! Do any of the rest of you put things away for safety and then have no clue where that might be?

• blossom
    edited September 2010

gillyone im from the north east of england,live near a place called middlebrough,although evey time i go abroard everyone thinks im a geordie lol, as for the cat biscuits they actually look quite tempting at the moment might give em a go myself,still not been to see teacher,dont think i dare just yet lol. Think the worst thing ive tasted whilst been having chemo is any type of cola it all just tastes like liquid lard! gin2ca ur poor DH must be dreading every meal time now lol. As for goin to the supermarket,whenever i go i always come back with such a random selection of food i could never possibly make a meal from it,good job ive got the cat biscuits to fall back on!

My daughter imarni is a good sport,i let her read this all the time when im feeling too ill to go out anywhere with her she ends up rolling round the bed laughing,i think it does her good to know that shes not the only one whos mother is temporarily insane.

• DesignerMom
    edited September 2010

Okay, now that we are talking about animal food.  I happen to be reading "Beating Cancer With Nutrition" by Quillin.  It's a great complementary aproach, not too crunchy granola.  The author ran the Nutrition program for The Cancer Treatment Centers of America.  He makes the point that animals in a zoo are fed more nutritious food than what many humans eat (non-foods like twinkies,white bread, convenience stuff etc...)  Maybe we should all snack on dog biscuits?

• skigrl
    skigrl Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2010

When you get out of bed in the morning and look for something very soft to wear on you feet (teva sandals for me) right off, because the gosh darn neuropathy makes walking SO PAINFUL. And you dont care if the sandals match or not, in fact you will go to town and get groceries, mail, school with mismatched sandals. Such sweet releif for my aching feet.

• KittyDog
    KittyDog Member Posts: 656
    edited September 2010

I understand the foot issues.  I can only stand crocs still.  I can't stand anything pressing on the top of my foot thanks to the neuropathy.  The bottoms of my feet did finally quit hurting accept when trying to sleep.

I have been to the grocery store three times now and still have no eggs or gloves to put over my LE Bandages so I can do dishes.  lol  Not having a good week with the brain.

• mnmom
    mnmom Member Posts: 1,841
    edited November 2010

Kitty Dog ...not being able to do the dishes is not a bad thing ..if you can find someone else to.

• AStorm
    AStorm Member Posts: 1,393
    edited September 2010

Stanzie -- last year I bought Halloween candy early. We get flocks of kids at our house so we're talking a huge grocery bag full of treats. The night before Halloween I couldn't find it and DH confessed that he hid it so our kids wouldn't hurt themselves. He couldn't remember where. Yeah right, that's a little "fox in the hen house" if you ask me... I stopped at the store on the way home on Halloween but there was no candy left. We turned off the lights and went out to dinner. When we got home, the trick-or-treaters were still in the neighborhood. I got out of the car with my DD and yelled "RUN!" ... so we ran in the house and left the lights off. DH stopped because a neighbor saw him and then there were people everywhere and I could hear him apologizing (with his lame excuse about "losing" the candy). For months I chided him about eating all the Halloween candy and then one day (maybe April or May) we were cleaning out the garage and found it. It disappeared again though.

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited September 2010

Love all these comments, I read and laugh because so often it could have been me.

Have a little funny comment to share. Last night small grandaughter ( almost 2 ) was sitting on my knee. She laughed as she pocked me and then looked down the front of my top. 'Granny got one boob, that one broken'  and gave me a hug.

skigrl - my sheepskin slippers are the best in the morning, I can't walk without them.

Have a great day. It's spring here and warm today.

Alyson

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited September 2010

blossom - The cat biscut story is hilarious!!!  I have a box of granola that looks very similar to the dog biscuits (both from Trader Joe's).  And I put them next to each other in the pantry - dangerous!!!  LOL!!!

when you think you can do anything and you realize you can't!!!  And you're laying on the sofa at the end of the day!!!! 

I'm glad my hubby isn't horrified over my fuzzy beard.  I was in NYC and luckily had brought a razor "just in case" I needed it!  :)

• LadyinBama
    LadyinBama Member Posts: 993
    edited September 2010

Alyson: How cute! Did she offer you a bandaid to fix it?Smile

My DH has been forgetting things like crazy, so I told him he'd caught chemo brain from me. Then yesterday his legs started hurting. I said, well I guess you caught the Neulasta pain too! (turns out it was a side effect of a new med he's on)

• Laurie_R
    Laurie_R Member Posts: 54
    edited September 2010

Alyson,

Out of the mouths of babes

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited September 2010

I wanted to share a quick dog biscuit story......we bought gourmet dog biscuits from the pet store, they looked like cookies dipped in either white or dark chocolate with sprinkles.  They smelled great.  So.......my girls decided to try them and love them.  It turns out they were made with all natural ingredients (flour, water, eggs, sugar and carob instead of chocolate).  I wasn't brave enough to try but both my girls ate a "cookie".

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    edited September 2010

YKYACPWhen.........

23yrs after last tx for cancer @ 10yo (DD aged 33) with a huge storm coming in from the east, she walks to the only open window on that side and pulls the curtain closed. DUH?

This member of the group discovers the above after all the thunder, lightning and major rain has passed.

Sheila.

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited September 2010
    Those darn DHs, trying to steal our thunder.  Don't they know that this is all about us?   Cool