Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• lauri
    lauri Member Posts: 59
    edited October 2010

...when you have a separate card holder just for doctors' cards --- and even that one is getting full.

• Firni
    Firni Member Posts: 521
    edited October 2010

OMG lauri, I have one of those.  Also full.

• AStorm
    AStorm Member Posts: 1,393
    edited October 2010

you have an appointment category in Outlook called "Treatment" to flag all your treatment and doc appointments; and a special default ring tone that identifies all your medical contacts when they call.

• swiftbird
    swiftbird Member Posts: 78
    edited October 2010
    KittyKat  Yaahooo!!!  Congratulations for being done. Yes!
  • msmpatty
    msmpatty Member Posts: 35
    edited October 2010

...when your surgeon examines your scarred, nipple-less, radiation-discolored breast and marvels at how "well" the surgery turned out.  And you agree!

Patty

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326
    edited October 2010

Ditto

• Lady_Madonna
    Lady_Madonna Member Posts: 313
    edited October 2010

I'm celebrating for my friend KittyCat, and I'm celebrating for msmpatty and leisaparis, and at the same time my heart is aching that we have to be here "celebrating" these milestones... I think I'd give just about anything to make this go away for all the wonderful ladies here.  ((((Hugs)))) to all my sisters.

• JustJean
    JustJean Member Posts: 170
    edited November 2010

YKYACP when you get a CT Scan because you can't breathe and are then relieved because it's "only" a pulmonary embolism.  

• littletower
    littletower Member Posts: 44
    edited November 2010

YKYACPW-you're absolutely loving the new Shawn Mullins song, "Light You Up", but as much as you love it, you can only think of a bad PET scan when you hear the chorus and the title.

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326
    edited November 2010
    When you have an appointment with the plastic surgeon for final confirmation and the insurance company still hasn't okayed it yet. Come on people, surgery is just 8 days away. He did say if they are late in approving we would just push it back a week. May sound easy for him, but I had to jump a lot of hoops to set this shit up. I would have to start all over with FMLA papers and Short Term Disability. I hope they get this shit straight soon.
  • 1Athena1
    1Athena1 Member Posts: 672
    edited November 2010
    YKYACP when you go on a cancer board and feel so at home that you start arguing about politics!Embarassed
  • chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited November 2010

YKYACP when you finally give in and admit that you can no longer manage the cleaning of your floors and need help and the help is organised through Paliative Care Services.

• Gitane
    Gitane Member Posts: 58
    edited November 2010

I was reading about MRI's and how hormones (ovarian and HRT) affect what shows up.  There is a category of abnormality called UBO  (Unidentified Breast Objects).  I kid you not!

• SusieMTN
    SusieMTN Member Posts: 43
    edited November 2010

YKYACP - when you live from Doctor's appointment to Doctor's appointment!  And you walk into your own kitchen and pause for 5 wondering what the heck you wanted to do! Ugh!  I feel 90!

• DesignerMom
    DesignerMom Member Posts: 730
    edited November 2010

YKYACPW- Your favorite baseball team is the Yankees and when your friends talk about their favorite team, the Mets....it doesn't mean the same thing anymore.

Gitane- "Unidentified Breast Objects" UBOs Who knew??? This whole adventure has felt like science fiction to me!

• Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490
    edited November 2010

OMG yes!

• changes
    changes Member Posts: 42
    edited November 2010

Unidentified Breast Objects! I've not heard that one before :)

• blossom
    blossom Member Posts: 15
    edited August 2013

preparing myself for a tellin off from my chemo nurses for getting a new tattoo lol,i just couldnt wait til january tho,it seems soooo far away.

I know its sooo shallow but i cant wait til i finished chemo n my hair grows bk,hopefully ill have hair for when i go out for my b.day in april,never thought losing my hair would bother me much but it really does, its a major part of your femininity(well it is for me) stopped goin on nites out as some pissed up idiot always pulls my wig off,sick of the pity looks off ppl too.

Its right tho,as soon as i see a woman with a scarf on i automatically think she must be having chemo,its like bieng a member of some mad secret society!

• dawney
    dawney Member Posts: 136
    edited November 2010

when you realize that any new shirts need to have collars on them because your neck get cold with no hair!

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482
    edited November 2010
    blossom I totally get the missing hair thing.  it's a major part of us and I did not like walking around bald at all - I was NOT a pretty bald woman!  there are some - I've seen them - but not me. and I also look at every woman with a scarf and assume she's getting chemo - I've approached some and talked with them - I've never regretted doing that, I met some cool women.  not all BC patients, some other cancers, but sisters nonetheless.  leis I hope things work out for you surgery wise hon.
  • AnacortesGirl
    AnacortesGirl Member Posts: 119
    edited November 2010

YKYACP when your DH points out that the only cleavage I have now is the crack on my rear.  That comment took the conversation to a very strange place ....

• AnacortesGirl
    AnacortesGirl Member Posts: 119
    edited November 2010

YKYACP when you get a BMX so you don't have to worry about UBOs and aliens!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited November 2010
    YKYACP when you just checked your butt crack in the mirror to see if it compared to what you lost....it did!!! I STILL have cleavage! Woo hoot! Kiss
  • micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited November 2010

when you have to chuckle at the image of hundreds of BCO sistas checking their butts in the mirror.

• sptmm62
    sptmm62 Member Posts: 527
    edited November 2010

when you realize what a cold world it really is without hair, and how much hats really mean to bald men!!

• SusieMTN
    SusieMTN Member Posts: 43
    edited November 2010

ykyacp when you count the days to the next visit to one of your many doctors!  LOL

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482
    edited November 2010

ykyacpw  even though you know what those initials stand for, you find yourself saying it out loud each time you read it!

• raeinnz
    raeinnz Member Posts: 553
    edited November 2010

ykyacpw your doctor says 'you have BC but if you are lucky you will only have to have surgery and take a pill for 5 years!'  Real easy...

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited November 2010

You lose the soap in the little indent from node removal when you're in the shower!

• LadyinBama
    LadyinBama Member Posts: 993
    edited November 2010
    Adey: lol. That hasn't happened to me ... yet!