Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• lmc1970
    lmc1970 Member Posts: 73
    edited December 2010

-you have to use google as a spell checker...

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited December 2010

YKYACP when you are off work with a bum knee for a week and the only way you can tell what day it is is to look at your night meds which are already set up in a weekly dispenser. Last night I said "Oh, today is Saturday". Sad......but true! (My morning meds are dispensed by my DH.)

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited December 2010

When you read IMC1970s post and think she is telling someone that they need to use spell check.  And you go back through the thread to see what IMC spelled so wrong...then you go back to reread the post only to discover that she is talking about herself....OMG, I think I am going nuts.  Can' t read a sentence without having to read again and again....

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited December 2010

{{barbe}} I smile every time I use my pill box because it reminds me of this thread.

Also when I pull on the yellow rubber handsaver gloves to wash the dishes.  :-)

• JFV
    JFV Member Posts: 341
    edited December 2010

YNYACP when like Kitty you get really excited to have eyebrows again.  And you name them!  Mine are "Fuzzy" and "Wuzzy"!  I

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,907
    edited December 2010

YKYARCPW you are taking a shower, see the grab rail that you had to have put up last summer, immediately feel the physical pain you had at the time and burst into tears when you feel the helplessness and fear you were feeling during rads. 

I was havving a really nice day.  Hadn't thought about the beast most of the day, Got a lot of stuff done, was feeling very human and "normal" and then this happens.  If only I could have some hint these little 'attacks' were coming, they'd be a lot easier to deal with.  This part of survivorship absolutely SUCKS.  

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited December 2010

{{NM}}

• Ainm
    Ainm Member Posts: 362
    edited December 2010
    YKYABCPW - your bra feels heavy before you put it on!!
  • lmc1970
    lmc1970 Member Posts: 73
    edited December 2010

LMAO Michele!!!!

• Faith316
    Faith316 Member Posts: 1,088
    edited December 2010

Good one, Ainm! 

You know you are a cancer patient when you cross your arms across your chest and feel one warm boob and one cold foob!  

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482
    edited December 2010

when you spend more time on BCO than you do on FB, and actually enjoy it at least as much, if not more!

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,606
    edited December 2010

Not sure where to post this....but I thought this comment was funny in a weird sort of way...I was talking to a gal the other day who is coming on 3 years and I said that I was coming on 5 years in Feb 2011 and she congratulated me and said she looked forward to 5 years...and that 5 meant "I'm cured"!!!!  I told her that my onc never uses the word cure and she said neither does her, that her onc talks about no disease but 5 years is cured!!!!  I didn't have the heart to argue with her....The only time I will be cured of BC is when I die of something else (as the saying goes)....I'm NED and take that very much to heard, but not the word cured!!!  I still chuckle when I think about her comment!!!!

• kadeeb
    kadeeb Member Posts: 16
    edited December 2010

I was going through chemo during the summer and always yanked off my wig the minute I started home from work. It was also the last thing I did each morning before leaving. It made getting ready for work a 5 minute routine so---- YKYACP when you get almost all the way to work and realize your wig is on the bathroom counter (and seriously consider not going back for it but I did).

I zipped into work that morning, an hour late and announced to the entire office that I had an excuse for being late that none of them had ever tried to use.  "I forgot my hair". 

• Lady_Madonna
    Lady_Madonna Member Posts: 313
    edited December 2010

kadeeb...LMAO!!  Good one!! 

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326
    edited December 2010

YKYACPW.....You go to start on a new trial drug. They make you wait, cuz you just had reconstruction and after a check up think it's best to wait and let the pc look at you first. They felt a little warmth on one side and wanna make sure there is no infection. Have an appointment on Tuesday so will try again on Friday as long as everything checks out Tuesday. UUUGGGGHHHH !!!!! I guess better safe than sorry.

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited December 2010

micheleboots - I did the same thing about the Google spell checker comment!  Great chemo minds think alike!!! 

YKYACP when you carry around natural deodorant, aloe vera, Aquaphor, hand sanitizer, water pills and a small brush (for your wig) in your purse. 

Oh and I forgot a brow pencil, in case I accidentally rub off a brow!  LOL!!!

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited December 2010

leisaparis - I hope everything works out for you!!!

NM - small reminders of BC can be very hard.  :(

• allalone
    allalone Member Posts: 195
    edited January 2011

YKYACPW..... a young female doctor crosses herself before touching you.

• nativemainer
    edited December 2010

allalone--Really?  Does this "young female doctor" do this before touching every patient or just the ones with bc?  How uncomfortable! 

Things are looking better this am--snowing like a son-of-a-gun, school canceled (well, all the schools but the one I work at) so I'm staying home today!  First snow day!  For this I get up a 5 am, put on coffee, put out the dog, turn on the TV to catch the weather and cancelations, and the dog goes back to bed, taking up ALL the pillows!  

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited December 2010

Allalone, do yu mean that she blessed herself first.  IF so I would report her..that is just plain old rude and ignorant.

• leisaparis
    edited December 2010

NM...How much snow? We haven't gotten any yet and it's suppose to be in the upper 40's / lower 50's here this week. This is really strange weather for Missouri for this time of year. We usually have had a few snowes by now, but nothing but 1 dusting that didn't even stay long enough to tell it even snowed.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited December 2010

We have about 2 1/2 feet of snow!

• shells43
    shells43 Member Posts: 499
    edited August 2013

More on the hair trend -

When your friends tell you your "chemo hair" is cute (super short of course) and THEY will tell you when you need a hair cut!

This happened at church yesterday!

• leisaparis
    edited December 2010

I haven't cut mine since it came back the second time. It was a little uneven for a while but I left it alone and now it's all about the same length. Goin back to work for the 1st day since my last surgery. Hope it all goes easy, cuz not really feeling like I'm ready. Have a good day girls.....

• nativemainer
    edited December 2010

Still coming down some, but I got about 8 inches on the deck. 

• KittyDog
    KittyDog Member Posts: 656
    edited December 2010

Mine has been growing 8 months.  I was so hoping that I could get it cut for Christmas.  It doesn't appear so.  The profile picture is current.  The longest pieces are about two inches now.  It also appears that I am getting ready to loose my eyebrows for the third time.  At least they come back very quickly now.

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997
    edited December 2010

YKYACP when you are wearing two hats because your head is cold.

• allalone
    allalone Member Posts: 195
    edited January 2011

NativeMainer wrote:  "Really? Does this "young female doctor" do this before touching every every patient or just the ones with bc?"  No idea, but I imagine I must have been her first (and probably her last - poor girl is in the wrong profession).

micheleboots wrote: "do yu mean that she blessed herself first.  IF so I would report her"  ... well, I'd rather not waste my precious time left getting angry at ignorant people ....

YKYACPW.....ignorance in others becomes their problem, not mine (but I am sorely tempted to give her a ring of protective garlic for Xmas).

• LadyinBama
    LadyinBama Member Posts: 993
    edited December 2010

ykyacpw: I was meeting a friend for lunch yesterday, she has BC too and just finished chemo and moved on to rads. I was early, so walked about looking for her in the restaraunt, didn't see her so I sat down. The hostess came by in a minute and said "does your friend have black hair?" and I said "no, she's a blond." Then I got to thinking, well, she might be a blond or a red head today depending on her wig choice, or she might just have on a hat or scarf. Who knows?

Allalone: I try to give folks a break if I can. I don't know the purpose of crossing since I'm not Catholic, but maybe she had just said a prayer for guidance in treating you? Seems we always assume the worse case. I'm like you, let it go and move on.

• flopsy
    flopsy Member Posts: 43
    edited December 2010

Your mother gives you her prosthesis because at 84 she is tired of wearing them and is going without bra or foobs.  I wonder if I will pass mine down to my daughters.   I sure hope not!!!!