Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• konakat
    konakat Member Posts: 499
    edited December 2010

Oh, I love them Susan -- especially the one from your Mom -- she sounds like lots of fun!!

• suzwes
    suzwes Member Posts: 765
    edited December 2010
    YKYACPW when you leave the case of beer you bought to surprise your deserving husband in the bottom of the shopping cart in the parking lot of the grocery store.  I really have totally lost my mind!  A lovely good samaritan turned it in and we can pick it up tomorrow. Embarassed
  • badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited December 2010

Gill - I think you're right about the ER+ and sorry to be so estrogen-centric. :-)

I didn't think about what I *didn't* hear.

Thanks for raising my consciousness sister!  {{hugs}}

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    edited December 2010

Susan, hugs to your DH. 

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,907
    edited December 2010

There are times when it is very hard to think about the variations of the beast other than your own.  That's part of what I really like about these boards--always someone representing every aspect.  We're more alike than different, but those differences can be important! 

• cms77
    cms77 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2010

You can no longer drink ice water because when they push the A/C the nurse makes you drink it and eat ice chips. Just the thought makes me nauseous.  Great thread, thanks!

• littletower
    littletower Member Posts: 44
    edited December 2010

YKYACPW-you get a Christmas card from Memorial Sloan-Kettering...nothing like a cheery card like that for the mantle:)

• bluegems
    bluegems Member Posts: 507
    edited December 2010

badger - Thanks for the link!

JUdy

• tracie23
    tracie23 Member Posts: 214
    edited December 2010

You know your a cancer patient when: you try to make a call from your TV remote and try to change the TV with the phone... uuuugggghhhh I wish I could stop doing this

• jdootoo
    jdootoo Member Posts: 13
    edited December 2010

YKYACPW your best friend sends a braid of her hair to you after she gets a haircut... not what the hell am I supposed to do with this "locks of love, glue it on my head!? Lol!

when the kids at your child's school look at you wide-eyed because you bleached your new hair and dyed it blue and say to your son, "wow, your mom is cool" or "your mom is weird" 

• tracie23
    tracie23 Member Posts: 214
    edited December 2010

jdootoo, I love the one with the braid of hair that is soooo funny !!! I have had so many people want to do things like that for me.... I love it

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    edited December 2010

YKYACPWhen......................during a hospital trip to get cancer meds script, you meet a nurse who immediately starts a liturgy of all her family's and her own ailments and you walk out feeling sorry for her. 

I'm not sure................but could that be a defense strategy--so that she doesn't have to listen to other peoples problems all day long?

While waiting (3hrs) for the above, a woman sits down beside you and starts on her non-life-threatening woes, and you get a perverse pleasure out of encouraging her and letting her believe that she has the worst case of everything she lists, that you have ever heard of!

I think I am getting mean in my old age.

Sheila.

• justpayton1
    justpayton1 Member Posts: 65
    edited December 2010

YKYACPWhen your living room starts to look and smell like a funeral home during the holidays..

( if you look back to page one..I was on the 1st name basis w/ the flower delivery guy) now I am in tx every other week my Dad sends flowers after every tx..

when it's been over 2 years since anybody has said you look like crap...everybody tells me how good I look..LIARS!! LOL

• hdangelbaby
    hdangelbaby Member Posts: 412
    edited December 2010

oh! the whole "you look so GOOD" crap! i get that too, i want to shout, "yeah, i just started chemo, if you can look at me in a month, and tell me that and mean it, it will mean a hell of alot more than it does now!" people have good intentions, but sometimes they just don't know how to relay those intentions!! it's like of course i look good now, you can't see my chest!

• jenni__ca
    jenni__ca Member Posts: 77
    edited December 2010

lol i love the bald baby one ...

first time i've read this thread ... too funny love it

my addition (hope it hasn't been done before)

YKYACP when you are watching tv or a movie and the actor has really obvious veins and you have vein envy Tongue out

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited August 2013

Well I have breast envy, so that makes sense! Also, hugs are sooooooo much softer with girls than with guys!! I can see why guys like hugging.....Wink

• badger
    edited December 2010

venous envy ?  LOL!!!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited December 2010

That's a good one badger!! heheheheheheh veinous envy! ehehehehehheeh

• badger
    edited August 2013

edited to delete sarcastic remark about Sigmund Freud  SealedLaughing

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited December 2010

cms, get someone to bring you popsicles to your A/C treatment so you don't have to do the ice chips thing. Much more fun.

Best of luck.

Leah

• Faith316
    Faith316 Member Posts: 1,088
    edited December 2010

I used to bring a slurpee with me on AC chemo days.

• Gitane
    Gitane Member Posts: 58
    edited December 2010

Did you notice that AnacortesGirl thought this thread would "... go over like a lead balloon."  ?

• dutchgirl6
    dutchgirl6 Member Posts: 322
    edited December 2010

YKYACP when you start a thread that is hilarious, therapeutic, and heartwarming, has over 1800 posts, and you think that it will "go over like a lead balloon"

Thanks AnacortesGirl!

• mcbird
    mcbird Member Posts: 138
    edited December 2010

YKYACP when you have a really bad reaction to the ct scan dye they injected and instead of saying anything you struggle to your car and sit there until you can catch your breath so you can drive home.  Then when one of your friends asks you why you didn't go back inside and tell someone you say, because I was afraid they would keep me.

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    edited December 2010

Ain't that the truth, mcbird? Every time you have to go near a Dr or hospital, you look around the house at things that you should have done and promise yourself you'll do them as soon as you get back.................if they let you go, of course.

Sheila.

• Wonder444
    Wonder444 Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2010

You realize you are a cancer patient when you are anxious for the newest model of boobs to be revealed each year.  You realize you are a cancer patient when, for the first time in your life, your boobs bounce as you walk. You know you are a cancer patient when you are tempted to remove the girls before stepping on the scale. 

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,907
    edited December 2010

Wonder--remove the girls before getting on the scale--I wish I had thought of that when I was using a prosthesis!  Now I'm curious, gonna have to dig out Silicone Sally and weigh her! 

YKYACPW you can rummage out a prosthetic body part and put it on a scale to see how much it weighs.  

YKYACPW you can say "breast" in conversation without blushing, and can say "prothesis" without stumbling over the pronounciation in front of a group of people, but saying "cancer" makes you choke up and start crying.  

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited December 2010

I tried removing the prosthetic before getting on a scale when the office was doing a weight loss contest, it didn't help me any, someone else who wasn't even near the top percentage all 10 weeks won I came in second.  I think she cheated, the night before she wrapped her torso in saran wrap and wore a sweat suit to sweat out the water.

Sheila 

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited August 2013
    when any little change or pain in your body becomes a personal debate whether to see your doctor or not.YellThis I really Hate. 
  • micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited December 2010

I hear ya mumayan.  every ache or pain I go to the dark side.