Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• sweetaerobabe
    sweetaerobabe Member Posts: 230
    edited December 2010

Ok, my first post here.....

YKYACPW you have to make a post here to add this to your list of favorites because you cant figure out any other way to and would never find it again. 

• justpayton1
    justpayton1 Member Posts: 65
    edited December 2010

YKYACPW you keep checking the thermostat and question whether the furnace is working...

Dang I am cold!!!

• gillyone
    gillyone Member Posts: 495
    edited December 2010

Justpayton - I always used to be a warm person - but now I am always cold!!

• justpayton1
    justpayton1 Member Posts: 65
    edited December 2010

gillyone- Me too!! I have been walking around the house all morning thinking the furnace must be broke..I finally cranked it up to make sure it came on and warm air came out.

YKYACPW- you wear your parka INSIDE the house :))

• jdootoo
    jdootoo Member Posts: 13
    edited December 2010

YKYACP when you wear pink (I hate pink) and jewelry because you want to look like a girl today...l

• CeeCee410
    CeeCee410 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2010

your little ones think it's okay to tell total strangers "My mom is wearing a wig."

your son spends a significant amount of time breaking the plastic hair off of Cinderella and revealing her bald hear, then exclaiming "Hey, it's Mom!!" and the doll becomes showcased in the curio cabinet.

the father of your children stops telling you what a great mom you are and suggests hiring a nanny.

When your boyfriend buys you a new car for your birthday, but puts HIS name on the title.

• Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490
    edited December 2010

YKYACPW you can now measure in centimeters...

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited December 2010

you know more than most nurses you sit in front of...

• barbe1958
    edited December 2010

you can pronounce all the big words on the test results.

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,606
    edited December 2010

rarely cold....generally warm to hot!!! not so many hot flashes, but higher core body temp!!!!

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited December 2010

When you are always too hot and are always asking everyone else in the house if they are too warm.Meanwhile Your daughter claims the house is freezing.

• bookart
    bookart Member Posts: 210
    edited December 2010

when you're sleeping shirtless in sweat shorts while everyone else is under the blankets and quilts.  I'm not even chemopausing - just losing my breasts kicked me over into the final run of menopause and screwed up my hormones just enough.  Someone turn on the AC, please!

• barbe1958
    edited December 2010

YKYACPW the entire duvet is on DH's side because you don't even WANT any of it! Not because you need it either. You still sleep with a towel on your pillow....sigh.

• elmcity69
    elmcity69 Member Posts: 320
    edited December 2010

YKYACPW an acquaintance/neighbor etc meets you in the store/pharmacy/street and says, "oh, I just love your new haircut!" and your two children (ages 9 and 12) roll their eyes and stifle giggles.

and: when these same children often, absentmindedly, run their fingers through your hair when snuggling on the couch. and it makes you smile, because things are SO much better now than the horrors of the last year.

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited December 2010

When you have a long meeting day and take your VP to the airport instead of his hotel!  Then.... you realize you left the audio visual equipment at the customer's site!  OMG!!!  So, you stay up all night freaking out about the AV equipment and so relieved that it was still there.  

When you find Christmas shopping difficult because you keep forgetting about the gifts you already bought!  I'm going to have to make a list!!!! 

When you find this thread so hilarious and heart warming! 

• kittycat
    edited December 2010

oh... and when you call the oncologist's office and say, "Oh hi, it's Heather!" and they know exactly who it is without hearing your last name!!!! 

when you made a commitment to be a brunette and got your customers used to the color and then switch back to blonde.  Talk about throwing people for a loop! 

when you're thinking of wearing a blue wig for Christmas, just to throw everyone off!  I love messing with people too!!!! 

• Tg5471530
    Tg5471530 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2010

When you hear a person ask the info desk at the hospital where a certain place is in the hospital and they cant answer them, but you do. Then they ask "how long have you been working here?"  I wish I was paid to be here.       Or when you are waiting at the hospital because your relative is in critical condition, and people decide to gather around you and pray for you.  my thoughts "hey, I shouldnt be the one we are praying for.  Im ok right now

• hdangelbaby
    hdangelbaby Member Posts: 412
    edited December 2010

YKYACPW- you buy fun or crazy pajamas--for chemo--lol!!

• suzwes
    suzwes Member Posts: 765
    edited December 2010

YKYACPW you run into friends you haven't seen since before treatment and they don't recognize you because your post chemo hair looks totally different than your pre chemo hair.  That's happened a lot!

• shanagirl
    shanagirl Member Posts: 428
    edited December 2010

When you get a post card of the brand new beautiful Cancer Center that was completed and will be where you go for your next onc appt.and you wonder what the new waiting room will look like.

http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNman000 Barb

• Tundra
    Tundra Member Posts: 17
    edited August 2013

I love this thread...

Well, I'm new to all this... barely 2 weeks in but here are a couple:

When you just turned 35 and you find yourself feeling jealous of old people.

When your ecstatic moment of the day is receiving your newly-renewed health card in the mail.

When you hear co-workers complain about colds and boyfriend problems and you smile and nod and think of "the good old days" of being annoyed by little things.

(and conversely), When you realize you kind of don't give a crap about the annoying little things in life anymore. ;-)

When you realize you're suddenly, spontaneously telling all your friends that you love them.

When at least half of your holiday cards are being sent to health care professionals.

Happy Holidays everyone!

xoxox

hdanglebaby... nice one! I should try that!

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482
    edited December 2010

tammy, I laughed at yours about giving directions in the hospital - I'm 5+ yrs out and I still do that when I go for follow-up visits - if I see a person looking lost, I go up and ask them where they need to be.

.....when you shamelessly wonder if readers of this thread might have clicked on the video at the top right of screen to see the 8 women interviewed ... one of whom was me :)   one of the most incredible experiences of my life, being a part of that video.  my segment is by far the smallest, but I still get a kick out of it anyway :)

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited December 2010

Will check when I get a chance

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited December 2010

A blessed Christmas all.

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited December 2010

A blessed Christmas all.

• kittycat
    edited December 2010

when your most exciting conversation at your friend's holiday party is talking to her mom about pain killers, sleeping pills and constipation!!!

when you break out the measuring tape to see your hair growth (1.25 inches)!  Woo Hoo!!

when you get more holiday cards than usual and people write nice notes in them to you!

when you consider writing one of those holiday letters about what you did for the past year... Greetings from radiation!!  LOL! Then you decide that you don't have time nor can your chemo brain possibly remember everything (and anyone who wants to read about my fun filled year with cancer can go to my Caring Bridge site)!  :)

when you forget what you bought people for Christmas and realize maybe you bought too many presents when you go to wrap them! 

Tundra - I am very envious of old people. I want to be old someday, too!!!

• allalone
    allalone Member Posts: 195
    edited January 2011

Tundra and Kittycat, you are SO right about feeling envious of older people. Of the 14 friends I hung out with 20 years ago, three are dead (one of cancer) and two of us are living with cancer. I am beginning to believe that the Baby Boom generation is going to be outlived by their parents, and although my own parents are gone I am SO envious of all the sassy 80+ ladies out there who can walk faster in the mall than I can!

YKYACPW ladies old enough to be your mother tell you to "hurry up", "get out of my way" and can add up a bill faster than you can because everything somehow looks blurry these days.Cry

• sweetaerobabe
    sweetaerobabe Member Posts: 230
    edited December 2010

YKYACPW the morning after Christmas, you forgot what people gave you.

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited December 2010

YKYACPW you're trying on outfits for a party and a shirt (high stiff collar) that looked great with hair makes you look like an alien!  Mmwwaaahaha...

• blossom
    blossom Member Posts: 15
    edited December 2010

when its -7 degrees n you still have to sit with a fan on full blast.

when u dont go to any xmas parties coz your sick of all the pity looks,n if you do go out in your wig some drunk idiot always rips it off your head...in the space of less than a year ive gone from the girl whos boyfriend died to the girl whos got cancer.

when you can get away with not having to cook xmas dinner this year.

when you just wanna be normal,like your mates

when were all brave...because we have to be! xxx