Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• blossom
    blossom Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2011

when a hot guy comes up to you just to tell you that your totally rocking the skinhead look,when u explain why you shaved your hair off he tells you it doesnt matter that you have no hair coz your face is so pretty....was feelin really down,that guy made my day.....random act of kindness=new found confidence xx

• InTwoPlaces
    InTwoPlaces Member Posts: 54
    edited January 2011

You know you are a cancer patient when you no longer can watch any movie without falling to sleep at least a couple of times...it doesn't matter how good the movie is.

When your fingers doesn't write the letters or words your brain tell them...

• Faith316
    Faith316 Member Posts: 1,088
    edited January 2011

You know you're a cancer patient when someone who hasn't seen you lately exclaims --- you cut your long hair!  It is so cute short!   Uh, no ....... chemo took my hair.  And, when it grew back in, I just didn't have the patience to let it grow long again so, for now at least, I am keeping it short.  Hey, at least I have hair!

• shells43
    shells43 Member Posts: 499
    edited January 2011

Faith316 - I'm getting so many compliments on my short hair I'm keeping is short too! Haven't had a haircut yet, but it might be soon.

You know you're a cancer patient when...you realize you really miss your port after you get stuck 6 times for one tube of blood!

Blossom - that was an awesome experience, eh? I love when people are nice like that.

• mab
    mab Member Posts: 14
    edited January 2011

You know you're a cancer patient when you have three eyelashes, no hair on your head, and you still have to SHAVE YOUR LEGS, arrrrrgh!

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997
    edited January 2011

YKYACP when you are excited you have had a normal poop!  Normal is so good.

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited January 2011

mab - so true!  The first thing to grow back was my leg hair - so unfair!!!

when you can dye your hair any color and it doensn't matter. 

when you don't have to spend $100 a month on getting your hair professionally done! 

when you've used one bottle of shampoo for 6 months (and yes, I washed my head when it was bald)!  :)

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326
    edited January 2011

shellyj43....I had them leave my port in. Just have it flushed once a month. Knew I would still need it for blood draws. Am in a drug trial right now. Plus if something would happen they couldn't put in back in the same side. I have a cousin who has had to have 2 cuz his cancer came back. They told him they had to put it in the other side. And now they can't take the 2nd one out cuz if he needs it again, they wouldn't be able to put another one in. I never knew you could only have 2 in you life time. Something about the damage it does to the vessel they sew it into. Makes it to weak to put in another one. I think they should tell us this stuff in the beginning.......Leisa

• veggy
    veggy Member Posts: 4,150
    edited January 2011

Here's mine for thea day...

Took a shower, conditioned my hair, went shopping, came home, and just realised that I did not rinse the conditioner out of my hair. I had to look like an idiot this morning. ARGH!!!!!!!!!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited January 2011

...but did you have your skirt tucked into the back of your pantyhose? Been there, done that. At the Las Vegas airport!!

• veggy
    edited January 2011

I've had my skirt stuck in my pantyhose. Now I never leave the bathroom without checking it multiple times.

I'v had the top of my bathing suit come down to my waist in a public pool once. Now I wear t-shirts over the bathing suit.

• barbe1958
    edited January 2011
    I had a zipper on a denim skirt bust without me knowing it. The lady behind me at the bank had to tell me after I got up from a chair with my back to her. Picture gaping zipper! I had no underwear on!!! Embarassed We were BOTH very embarrassed to say the least!
  • barbe1958
    edited January 2011
    Now if I'm walking with my DH and someone gives me two looks I'll ask him what I have hanging off my body or missing from my clothes!!!!! Surprised
  • veggy
    edited January 2011

Barbe1958 - I surrender! I cannot beat the demin skirt. You having me laughing. I don't take life too seriously. I walk with my head up but don't look anyone in the face. I could never tell if anyone is looking at me.

• sweetaerobabe
    sweetaerobabe Member Posts: 230
    edited January 2011

Ok, I have one.....I got bundled up today, wig and all, went to the grocery store in the snow, a line of people behind me, trying to swipe my card over and over..... wouldnt register.... After 15 mins, (and working up a sweat) gave the card to the cashier to punch in the numbers.... she gives it to someone to check with the manager..... she comes back, sorry.... we dont take medical cards for food!!!!!

I was so embarrased! 

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited January 2011

The year I turned 40 I decided to lose weight so I could get my butt into a bikini..The first time I wore it to the pool it fell off as I bent over to lay down my towel...Lesson to self, always check clasp on bathing suit. 

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,907
    edited January 2011

Veggy-my Mom routinely goes half the day without brushing out her hair, which she has tightly permed every few months. She actually looks more normal to me with her hair marching in rows across her head!

Barbe-at least in Vegas everyone is so involved in the machines to notice anyone around them! Gaping zipper and no undies???? Oh, my!!!!!!

Sweetaerobabe-I'm glad I'm not the only one who has to double check what card I'm handing over 3 or 4 times to be sure I got the right one!

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited January 2011

On a very hot day several years before I retired I wore a wrap around skirt held by just one button to work. Because of the heat I only had pantyhose under it.  As I walked by the teen aged plumbers assistant  who was trying to find the break in our sewer line he dug into an underground wasp nest and they came boiling out of the ground.  As I stepped up on the porch I got stung on the butt right where the skirt tightened as I stepped.  I could tell there were more wasps still there so I undid the button, dropped the skirt and dashed in the house.

Some years later I was doing an on site nursing home  audit, working in an office converted from a patient room with its own bathroom.  A handsome young plumber walks in and says he is there to fix the plumbing.  I turn towards the voice and he blurts "You're the woman who got stung!"  All I could thunk of was those sheer to the waist pantyhose.

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    edited January 2011

OMG Chabba, LMBO.

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited January 2011
    Embarassed Tongue out
  • barbe1958
    edited January 2011

Wow, you really left an impression on Him!!!! heehehhehehehehe

• micheleboots
    edited January 2011
    Chabba, what a hoot.  Embarassed
  • hdangelbaby
    hdangelbaby Member Posts: 412
    edited January 2011

YKTACPW,  you go into your favorite bar with your hat on, and everyone (cause it's a local small town bar), drops their beer, and comes to tell you what a hot sinead o'connor look alike you are!!!

yup, last night! it was kinda cute i have to admit! Wink

• littletower
    littletower Member Posts: 44
    edited January 2011

YKYACPW when you're watching TV and the Nationwide Insurance commercial with the boulder hanging over the womans head comes on and she gets a look of horror on her face and you think..."I know exactly how she feels."

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482
    edited January 2011

hdangel and others with the great "no hair" comments - I'm sooo glad you had people lift your spirits like that.  personally, i have a horrible shape to my head, so there was no way I could have gone bald - but I was lucky to have really good, comfortable wigs that I switched up and messed with people - long? short? blond? brown?  that was fun for me :)  and for today's entry....

when you're glad for a fellow survivor that her arm tingling and pain is caused by rotator cuff problem and not lymphedema.  she'll need surgery, but that will fix the problem ... if it was LE (which I have) there's no fix, just things to control and contain.

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited January 2011

sweetaerobabe- that is hilarious!!!  I seriously laughed out loud from that story! 

I would scare people if my bikini top came off now!  AAGHH!!!  Look at that lady's scars!!! 

while in line at Costco, you admire a toddler's hair and then try to determine her age and when your hair will look that cute!  Hmmm..  at least 16-18 months!  LOL!!! 

when your stack of Cigna statements come all at once, barely fitting into the envelope.  They're going to need a bigger envelope!!! 

when you and your DH play, Guess How Much the Medical Bill is!  We normally do this with the utilities.  The medical bills are so much harder to guess!  "Wow $10,318 for radiation!.. I was $2000 off!" LOL!!!

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326
    edited January 2011

so far my cancer bills have totalled $192,000.00....that's not counting my last surgery.

• Majdula
    Majdula Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2011

when you complain to your BS that your wig keeps slipping off ever since your hair started growing again and he looks at you sadly and replies "at least yours WILL grow" (he's a thirtysomething baldie Foot in mouth)

• micheleboots
    edited January 2011

Kitty, it that one treatment, or the whole shabang...Here in Canada we don't see those bills..just high taxes, which help pay those bills.  When we lived in Colorado my daughter had a bladder infection and peed in a cup and that cost me $120.  Man I wish I was the one selling the little pieces of paper that they dip in those pee cups..I would be RICH.

• KittyDog
    KittyDog Member Posts: 656
    edited January 2011

my total radiation bill came to $60,000.00 and I owed them $10.00.  Nope I did not question that one.