Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited January 2011

Leanne, I just voted, you go girl.

• tnbcRuth
    tnbcRuth Member Posts: 338
    edited January 2011
    YKYACPW - You find a tiny little sore spot on your chest and then search for it and touch it so many times, that its now a big sore spot....so you see your bs and she says well, let's get an xray and a bone scan....and now its lined up for tomorrow and I have to go because, well it could be...but you know its not and now you shamefully wear the crown of False Alarm Queen.
  • leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326
    edited January 2011

tnbcRuth, with this crap..........BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY........good luck

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited January 2011

... when you go to see what's taking the kettle so long to heat up water for your tea, only to find you didn't turn on the burner. 

• Gitane
    Gitane Member Posts: 58
    edited January 2011

tnbc,  Don't feel any kind of shame for asking them to check things out.  You deserve the peace of mind.

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited January 2011

tnbcruth - good luck on your scan!!!!  Hopefully it is nothing and you can have some peace of mind.  I have a sore knee and I do the same thing - poke at it all the time!!!

• mcbird
    mcbird Member Posts: 138
    edited January 2011

YKYACP when you have a houseful of ladies from the church here to play cards and eat supper and you are having such a bad hot flash that you are outside walking around in the cold with your shirt up around your neck.

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited January 2011

lol I can totally relate to the last one.

• bluegems
    bluegems Member Posts: 507
    edited January 2011

tnbcRuth,

We don't have the luxury of letting things goYell! I get to wait 2 weeks for the results of a vaginal lump biopsy done yesterday. Even though bc doesn't recur in the vagina (uterus is gone), with my DES history it is an issue. Hold your head up high - you are a survivor! Never apologize or feel ashamed in getting things checked out. If you don't look out for you, who will?

Hoping and praying that all scans are neg. HUGS

Judy

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,907
    edited January 2011

tbncruth--the docs work FOR you, so they give you what you need/want.  You are paying the bill, you get to call the shots.  Go get whatever done that you need to for peace of mind. 

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    edited January 2011

YKYACPWhen......................you're at the airport (small regional) to see DH off to work and they have installed metal-detecting body scanners since last you were there..................so you cross your arms over your chest and refuse to go through.....................and that was just to go through to the waiting lounge until his flight was called.

Sheila.

• tnbcRuth
    tnbcRuth Member Posts: 338
    edited January 2011

Its frustrating when we have been thru so much and just being in public makes it even harder.  NO my driver's license doesn't match!!!  NO I'm not getting a new photo at this time!!!  I feel your pain Sheila~

• kittycat
    edited January 2011

Sheila - I refused to go through the body scanner last week.  They asked me why and I said, "I just did 7 weeks of radiation for breast cancer and I don't need any more radiation!!!"  So, I got felt up instead.  The girl who did the "pat down" tells me, "I'm not going to pull your hair" as she feels over my head.  I laughed and said, "Good, because it will fall off if you pull it and will traumatize you and the other people at the airport!"  LOL!!!!! 

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997
    edited January 2011

I also won't go get a new drivers license. I have 1/4 inch of hair. we moved here in July and I suppose of I get stopped I will explain why I still have my IL license. Our cars and pets have WA licensed, I am the only rogue here.

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited January 2011

My passport expires next month so I will have a bald passport for the next ten years!

And use it proudly.  (c:

• mumito
    edited January 2011
    When customs officers have to look twice because both pasport and drivers liscence had to be renewed while undergoing chemo.Pretty scarey photos and now I have long hair.Yell
  • beccad
    beccad Member Posts: 189
    edited January 2011

Mumayan,  mine was just the opposite, I renewed both then was diagnosed with BC, on our trip in November I got funny looks from US customs coming back home.  Nobody in Germany seemed phased that the lady with a funky scarf and a glazed look from the 9 hr flight was coming into their country.

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited January 2011

Gets you either way, doesn't it?!

• beccad
    beccad Member Posts: 189
    edited January 2011

Yeah it does,  I just kept my glazed look all through the airport and let DH lead me to where we needed to be that 1st day there, and when we got back home.  Those 9 to 11 hr flights can be tough, but we did have a good time while there.

• kittycat
    edited January 2011

When you almost forget your laptop on the airplane.  Gosh - I cannot be responsible for anything anymore!!! 

When you finally break down and start using your daily pill organizer for your supplements! 

• mumito
    edited January 2011

when you actually buy a pill organizer for trips because its the only way you can remember whether you took your medication or not.YellReally makes me feel like an old lady

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited January 2011

Oh pweow! I've been using a container for years! I have a night one too. I STILL forget to load it properly sometimes and a couple days later will have to see what I've been missing by looking at all the pretty colours in the little boxes....my DH makes them up now. I take 13 prescriptions a day.

• webu
    webu Member Posts: 44
    edited January 2011

when your dining room table is taken over by piles of medical bills and EOB's
  • Faith316
    Faith316 Member Posts: 1,088
    edited January 2011

when you gave up trying to keep a running total of how much your BC treatments cost because it just got too ridiculous and time consuming to continue doing so.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited January 2011

YKYACPW you had a new supervisor come visit you at your office location and she said how well I looked (after the issue of cancer came up due to some time off here and there for appointments), really, really well, in fact beautiful. She seemed to be implying that I looked TOO good to need appointments, so I sat back and pulled my top tight across my chest to show it's flat. Yep, I had cancer! That shut her up.

What I should have said, was "I had cancer in my breast, not my face!" I remember that from another thread years ago. ehehheheheheehhehe

• Ca1Ripken
    Ca1Ripken Member Posts: 829
    edited January 2011

When you finally decide to go without any cover on your head to work... and someone says, oh, I'll bet your husband likes that... kind of like roll playing, huh.... ummm, he has seen me every single day since this happened... he watched all of my hair fall out and come back in very slowly... this revalation of hair is surprising to you, not him....  (OK, I did not say that, I just thought that)!! 

• kittycat
    edited January 2011

I took my pill organizer on a trip with me, too.  I don't like it.  It's hard to open.  Stupid Walmart brand.  Now I'm going to have to shop for something that doesn't rip my fingertips off!!!  Oh well, the neuropathy took the feeling away in the fingertips anyway! 

• kittycat
    edited January 2011

EOB's!  YKYACPW you have new acronyms in your life... BC, ER+, PR+, BRCA, TE, AC/T, SE's, etc....

• teemee
    teemee Member Posts: 18
    edited January 2011

badger, I just did that with the tea kettle last week. Who knew you needed to light the burner?

here's mine: when your friends and family have to tell you what you told them -- the day before.

• kittycat
    edited January 2011

When you associate songs to your cancer moments.... Lady GaGa's "Alejandro" on my way to surgery, Rihanna's "Oh na na, What's My Name" to radiation... except I can't remember the songs going to chemo because I had and still have CHEMO BRAIN!!!