Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326
    edited January 2011

Of my 192,000.00 I've only had to come up with @ $7,000.00. So glad I have Insurance. My Newlasta shot alone cost $7,000.00 and I had 4 of them, so I figure if 7,000 is all I pay....good for me.

• Letlet
    Letlet Member Posts: 55
    edited January 2011

wow I didn't know that Neulasta costs that much! And to think those little buggers give me so much bone and muscle pain...

• leisaparis
    edited January 2011

I only found that out cuz I got an insurance bill for $14,000.00.  The way it looked, it appeared as if I had spent a week in the hospital, by the dates. I call the insurance company to tell them I was not in the hospital and there must have been a mistake.

So they looked some stuff up, asked me about a couple dates and so OH NO, this is for only 2 days. Different dates, both days you received a Newlasta shot, I said yes, that's right. She said, oh, it's because the newlasta shot cost $7,000.00 apiece. I almost fell out of my chair. I said thank god for insurance. She said I know what you mean. The thing was the shot was no bigger than my little finger from tip to second knuckle.

I don't know how they can charge so damn much for such a small amount of drug. No wonder people can't afford shit. And if you don't have insurance, Well, you're kinda screwed.

• AStorm
    AStorm Member Posts: 1,393
    edited January 2011

YKYACPW... the power was out yesterday and no one thought to reset the spa so it was cold last night and I didn't get to warm myself before bed (which is such an amazing pleasure since I got the hot flashes under control!)... DH offers to warm me up but accidentally touches the silicone foobs and is shocked by how cold they are!

• shells43
    shells43 Member Posts: 499
    edited January 2011

This thread is always interesting. My radiation treatments cost $2000 a day. I haven't paid anything because I already paid my out of pocket max. Thank the Lord for insurance.

YKYACPW - you love your insurance company and sing its praises instead of complaining like everyone else!

BTW my taxotere treatments were $20K EACH! 

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited January 2011
    Neulasta in Canada is only $3,000 a shot and there is a program that will pay if the government in your province doesn't cover it. Why would it be twice as much in the states??? Undecided Mind you, the ladies in Canada give it to themselves if they don't have a visiting nurse....
  • annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160
    edited January 2011

you know when you are a BC patient when everybody eyes drift right to your chest when you walk up to them...

• leisaparis
    edited January 2011

I don't know why the difference. We don't have the option to give it to ourselves. At least not where I'm at. I even had to go to the hospital to get it. And a nurse (RN) had to sign for it. Crazy.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,907
    edited January 2011

In the US, most insurance won't pay for the neulasta unless it is given in a clinic or hospital setting by a nurse.  Medicare, for instance, will pay for a visiting nurse to go to the patient's home and give the shot, but the patient has to pay for the neulasta out of pocket, but if the patient goes to the hospital or clinic, Medicare pays for the medication and the clinic viist. 

• tnbcRuth
    tnbcRuth Member Posts: 338
    edited January 2011

OMG, I found this thread and have only read up to page 37.  I AM going to read them all because they are so funny and I can so relate!  Here's a YKYACP  (pronounced yick-yack...p is silent, lol)

I am desperate to get into my bs because I have a new lump.  They finally called back with a special appointment for me for Monday at 8am.  I whined that that was so far off, and she said cheerfully, "its only 3 business days". WORRYING IS SUSPENDED FOR THE WEEKEND???? wtf - nobody told me.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,907
    edited January 2011

tnbcRuth--when you get to the BS office, please ask them for me if bc stops growing on Weekends, and holidays, and if so, how does it know what day of the week it is? 

Edited to add--I actually asked the RadOnc about that--he said no, cancer doesn't take time off but HE and HIS STAFF needed time off!  I was dumbfounded.  

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited January 2011

What, Dr.s want time off....

• lauri
    lauri Member Posts: 59
    edited January 2011

YKYACP when you're glad to have excess belly fat because it makes it easier to inject the Neulasta. (My insurance company was delighted to send it to me for self-injection -- one less clinic visit for them to pay for.)

Now, if i could only be as happy to see the same belly fat four years later...

• hdangelbaby
    hdangelbaby Member Posts: 412
    edited January 2011

oh i had my share of problems with the onc and time off. over thanksgiving, christmas,and new years, my disability payments got delayed big time cause the docs were out of the office and the insurance company needed their signature to extend the payments out another month. talk about frustrating!!!

• Lena
    Lena Member Posts: 132
    edited January 2011

You know you're a cancer patient when you...

...are HAPPY you have to untangle your hair after a shower....

...go stand outside on your deck wearing a tank top and your head still wet...when it's 16 degrees out! 

• leisaparis
    edited January 2011

ykyacpw.....You go to work everyday in 0 & below temps in shorts & a tank top. Feels like 100 degrees in there and everyone else is running around in long pants & sweatshirts. Then they say to me...Boy, aren't you just freezing. It's like  HELL NO, I sweating my ass off.

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997
    edited January 2011
    YAKYAK you are happy your panty liner is stuck to a hair! Embarassed
  • lmc1970
    lmc1970 Member Posts: 73
    edited January 2011

That's funny Gingerbrew!

• catbill
    catbill Member Posts: 102
    edited January 2011

It's 5:15AM and I am trying not to wake DH and the puppy so I am LMAO into a pillow.  I can relate to many things on this thread, but they weren't funny before.  Now they are!!  Thanks for a new perspective.

How about...YKYACP when your TE's suck all your body heat and your teeth start to chatter in the middle of a hot flash.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited January 2011
    ... when you go to click into one of your Favorite BCO topics but mistakenly click 'Remove from my favorite topics' instead (realized it a fraction of a second too late Yell ) then can't remember which thread you were going to access, which makes it really hard to find & restore.  sheesh!
  • micheleboots
    edited January 2011

Badger, ooooh that sucks.

Gingerbrew, LMAO...

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited January 2011

YKYACPW: a girl at work had to get a "shot" for her endometriosis and I came up with Lupron. YEP! AND, I didn't even get Lupron! ehheeheheheheheheh

• flopsy
    flopsy Member Posts: 43
    edited January 2011

YKYACPW,    You forget that you already bought Christmas presents and buy them all over again.   Guess I'll be getting in the return lines this year.  

Christmas  morning your DH gives you the sweetest card and it makes you cry because you did not even get him one and later that day find the card you bought the week before for him.   Had to explain that I forgot I'd bought the card when I gave it to him that evening.   

Everyone here is talking about the 18" snow that SC got in 1973(I was living here and age 18---WTH) and you can not remember a thing about it.  Used to have an awesome memory, now might forget to put my clothes on before leaving the house.

• Faith316
    Faith316 Member Posts: 1,088
    edited January 2011

LMAO in regards to the panty liner stuck to a hair post!  My man says, "what's so funny?"  Uhhhh ...... never mind.  You wouldn't understand!  Too funny!

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    edited January 2011

YKYAACPWhen.....................two weeks into the New Year, I haven't got a new calendar up yet.............because I can't bl@@dy well find it. I put it somewhere easy so that I wouldn't forget where it was..............................and Waaaaaaaaaaaa.......................I can't find it!

Sheila.

• micheleboots
    edited January 2011

At least you have one...I havn't gone to get one yet.

• konakat
    konakat Member Posts: 499
    edited January 2011

YKYACPW you always buy tops with a v-neck so your port can be accessed easily.

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited January 2011

I can't find my Through Healing Eyes calendar that I had signed in October by the models! I was a model in 2008 and love the stories of the other models who are bc patients in all stages.  I did get my lang calendar up that fits in my wood frame.

Sheila 

• Ca1Ripken
    Ca1Ripken Member Posts: 829
    edited January 2011

Hi ladies... not a funny YK story, just a plea for some votes... my friend entered me in this contest.. the pic is the same as my pic on here!  It's very easy to vote... you can vote once per day, per email address!!  Thanks!!!!

http://www.lovefeelinghealthy.com/Vote.aspx

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited January 2011

when you compare the fashions of hospital gowns at all of the places you've been lately.  The diagnostic place I went to today had the nicest ones.  :)

when it wouldn't be a day in your life if you weren't visiting a medical facility... last week - Monday/Tuesday last days of rads - YAY!, Wednesday dentist appt, Thursday blood work, Friday onco's office and more blood work, Monday port removal and today vaginal ultrasound.  I don't have another dr visit until the end of the month to see my dermatologist!  Oh wait, I have a follow up visit at the port removal place next week!  Ha...chemo brain!