Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

You know youre a cancer patient when....

Comments

• HollyinMich
    HollyinMich Member Posts: 57
    edited March 2011
    Ruth, I'm glad I was able to give you a good chuckle! Smile After reading about your neck tattoo I have to add in what my DH said to me when my hair fell out.  We would joke around about how I would look in a pair of jeans, Doc Martins and suspenders.  DH is a nurse but he's also a guitarist in a heavy metal band.  So he suggested I get a tattoo on my head that just said "Hardcore"!  Lol, of course there's no way I'd have the cajones to endure that kind of pain (I can only imagine right on top of the skull bone would hurt like crazy!!!) while feeling like crap from chemo.  But it's been a good running joke between the two of us!
  • barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited March 2011

Ruth, I've been thinking of getting a lacy butterfly tattoo across both my incisions from pit to pit. Very ethereal, not the heavy black outline that you see on bikers. Little bits of colour, no heavy coloured areas.

• Ca1Ripken
    Ca1Ripken Member Posts: 829
    edited March 2011

YKYACP when your real eyebrows grow back and you realize that you liked your painted on ones better because you could make your eyes look 'happy!' (my eyebrows are quite flat and straight).  :)

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited March 2011

YKYACP ... when your husband is comfortable watching you unbutton your blouse and bare your foobs to the your very McDreamy plastic surgeon!

• hdangelbaby
    hdangelbaby Member Posts: 412
    edited March 2011

on tattoos, when this is all done, i am getting a pink and black butterfly on my left side. staying away from the boob,  and shoulder and arm ( don't want to risk lymphedema), and i want a tribal inscription in the wings, and yes, a very small pink ribbon "hidden" among the tribal work. yeah, i know some of you hate the pink ribbon, but, i have had lots of rallying and support and they all used the pink ribbon and wore them on their aprons at work this whole time to support me, so i do want to don the ribbon!!

• Lena
    Lena Member Posts: 132
    edited March 2011

YKYACPW....you don't mind too much when the dryer occasionally eats one of a pair of socks, because that way you have another bra sock...

YKYACPW...most of the time, the mere sight of young women makes you feel angry and/or depressed due to estrogen envy. 

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,908
    edited March 2011

hdangel--just because the pink ribbon thing turns MY stomach does NOT mean that I don't want you to enjoy yours!  The whole pink thing isn't for me, but I do realize that it is a great support and has great meaning for others.  For those who find comfort and support, go for it and I support you whole heartedly, just not in pink! 

• Smile_On
    Smile_On Member Posts: 66
    edited March 2011

Lena...some of us young women don't have estrogen either :)

I'm one of the few women in their 20's that can relate with menopause.

I know what you mean when you say seeing people can make you angry/depressed though.  I get that too sometimes, especially when people are complaining about what to me seem like pretty frivolous things or days when I go to a baby shower and am surrounded by new mommies and babies and feel this achy hope that maybe I'll get to be a mom someday.

• hdangelbaby
    edited March 2011

smile-on, i hear ya, i am in my 20's too, till may Wink and i have been put into chemical menopause. and yeah it makes me sick to my stomach when i am around our friends with kids, cause i kick myself in the ass everyday that my husband and i did'nt have kids sooner, when we "had the chance" we made up every excuse in the world not to do it at the time, and now it's pretty much gone, being ER+/PR+ and all. well we will see in 5 years,  but we both dont' think it's worth the risk of the very high hormones produced.

i also get sad and angry when i see my friends, going out having fun with no cares in the world, with their gorgeous hair, and etc. i go out and all, don't get me wrong, but i always have this sense strangers know i have a wig on, then get paranoid that they are sitting there talking about me, "ooh, is she sick" " why is she wearing a wig?"  "what's wrong with her? " "is she a hooker?" that last one is for laughs,couldn't help it!

• Ca1Ripken
    edited March 2011
    Smile and hdangelbaby - I know what you mean, even though I am 42... I work in a hospital, and get so frustrated with people who are noncompliant and just don't take their medical problems seriously.... don't take their meds... don't control their diet.... the prevailing thought that runs through my mind is "really, and I got cancer!!??"  I'm so sorry you are living with this damn disease so so young... it's just not fair!  Don't do more than you can handle... I recently 'skipped' a baby shower for a friend because I just can't handle that many people looking at me and questioning how I'm doing... are you feeling alright.... really.... you look great... love your 1" hair... blah, blah.... :)  Just do what you can and if it seems like too much... send a gift and an apology with other airtight plans (we went to Myrtle Beach instead of the party).  (((HUGS))) sisters!!  <3
  • hdangelbaby
    edited March 2011

thanks leanna!!!! i know what you mean about being around bunches of people and the constant asking how you are and yadda yadda yadda. i go back to work in about a month and a half.... and i get anxiety thinking about EVERYONE asking me questions. i work in retail. so i know customers will see me with no hair (hat on) and tell me their one million and one story about their aunt, grandma, mother, etc.

i gotta figure out a way to politely tell those people to not tell me their stories cause i just don't want to hear them, and probably won't have the energy to bear them....

• HollyinMich
    HollyinMich Member Posts: 57
    edited March 2011

I hear you on the chemopause!!!  I'm 34 and I never thought I'd actually miss having my period so much!  That's a definite YKYACPW moment!

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited March 2011

hdangelbaby, I too work retail and went back to work bald.  I couldn't stand the wig or wearing hats.  Not one person mentioned a thing to me.  Perhaps they were afraid to say anything.

• dutchgirl6
    dutchgirl6 Member Posts: 322
    edited March 2011

When I first went back to work (retail also, we have a lot of regular customers) I was still wearing my wig, nobody said anything.  After about a month, I went on vacation for a week and came back without the wig.  I got a lot of comments and questions about my new short hair cut.  A few of them realized why without being told, but for the most part, I just kept them guessing.  I did tell a few of them, but it was because I wanted them to know and not because of their comments.  I did hear a couple of stories about their personal cancer journeys, but on the whole people were supportive and tactful.

• Neece
    Neece Member Posts: 18
    edited March 2011

A good tactic to deal with the inevitable 'cancer stories' is to smile brightly and say quickly, before they get too far into the story "I only listen to stories with a happy ending!!" It's amazing how many people seem to think that just because you have cancer, it is OK for them to tell you about all the people they know who have suffered/ died from cancer. What are they thinking??

• alexandralucky13
    alexandralucky13 Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2011

YKYACP when your two boys of 4 and 8 have elevated you to hero status because your farts beat their "hands over mouth farts" by far...

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    edited March 2011

Alexandralucky13, so funny.

• blossom
    blossom Member Posts: 15
    edited March 2011

i can also relate to the chemo pause,and am still in my 20's tho only just lol...i also agree that its easier to say to ppl yeah im all better rather than try to explain about herceptin etc.

it pisses me off that for the last wk whilst coughing all over me m house mate has complained about havin a cold,and several times has exclaimed that she feels like shes dying(v.tactful..not) and to be honest i wanna punch her in the face everytime she moans about havin a bad hair day.

i hate my wig n ive only ever worn it once on a night out coz it is so obviously a wig, nhs wigs are shite,i also hate the pink ribbon,its just a way for supermarkets to con money out of ppl

• Jainey
    Jainey Member Posts: 36
    edited March 2011

...when you go to a fitness class at a 'Ladies Only' gym and during the cardio session you look around and everyone's boobs (except yours) are bouncing up and down ... you know that you are the only one sporting tissue expanders ..

• Kymn
    Kymn Member Posts: 887
    edited March 2011

You know your a cancer patient when the door bell rings and you reach for your wig

• Ca1Ripken
    edited March 2011

alexandralucky - LMAO!!  My boys are 4 and 9... they get it too!!  ha!

blossom - Yes, I could only take so much of your house mate before I would have to tell her what's up!  I too could never stand to wear my wigs at all!  Wore one of them once for about an hour, took it off and never again!  Some (ok prob most) look great in them (and I'm sure yours and mine were fine too) but I just was not comfortable and couldn't do it!  :) 

And, Neece you totally have the right idea about the happy endings... I cannot tell you how many, many stories I have been told that ended in... and she died.  Really, you thought I would like to hear that... really?  WTH? Thanks! 

• EmilyInOntario
    EmilyInOntario Member Posts: 288
    edited March 2011

Kymn..*L* I keep "my hair" and hats on a table just inside the front door in case the doorbell rings..I can so relate..

And you know you're a cancer patient when you come home from an outing and "your hair" comes off BEFORE you even take off your coat and boots..

I HATE wearing a wig..

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited March 2011

I am a year out of losing hair and chemo ad was early on this thread-ykwyacpw-you forget the thread is here until it comes up on rotation 8 months later!!

...ya jump off the couch during commercial break and run around the coffee table then lie right back down on the couch, cause ya had no idea why ya got up and don't want anyone to catch on.

And Ruth, tell everyone your back head tats are 'howetzers" and you really do have 'eyes in the back of your head!

Big hugs, SV

• NSWTD
    NSWTD Member Posts: 34
    edited March 2011

OMG....you guys are killing me.  All very funny....thank you for a bright spot in my day.

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited March 2011

StillVerticle...I am laughing out loud at your comment about jumping off the couch and then sitting back down because you forgot why you got up! Hilarious! I can so relate. I didn't have chemo but I can't remember anything anymore! I just look at my DH and wait for him to fill in the blank. I sure hope this is temporary~

• InTwoPlaces
    InTwoPlaces Member Posts: 54
    edited March 2011

You know you are a cancer patient when you wake up in the morning and go to the bathroom and see your self in the mirror and you look like the person in the painting "The Scream"

• EmilyInOntario
    EmilyInOntario Member Posts: 288
    edited March 2011

InTwoPlaces...yup..that's me...*L*

• Meekone
    Meekone Member Posts: 30
    edited March 2011

Hey Ladies I have come back to this thread time and time again for a emotional pickme up and a quick laugh at stuff only "WE" think is funny, so here is my addin:

YKYACP when after your surgery you get so stopped up from all of the pain meds you can not go BM for two weeks and all of your friends know cause you are miserable.  However when you are finally able to go you send out a text to everyone in your address book as follows:

"The Eagle has landed, repeat, the Eagle has landed ......it is official Meekone had a BM it is a glorious day, all rejoice that I was at Target when it happened, had it happened while at home I would have had a hard time explaining to the plumber!

• hdangelbaby
    edited March 2011

hahaha meekone! i am in that state right now Frown, haven't had one since monday, since i am now on painkillers for strep throat, throbbing headaches and the wonderful body aches from taxol!! i have tried everything!!! and no poo to report... yet! lol

i know what you mean though, by getting excited to have a bowel movement!

• Ca1Ripken
    edited March 2011
    ROFLMAO... really!!!!  Smile