Western New York Area

Comments

• Maureen813
    Maureen813 Member Posts: 1,826
    edited October 2012

Hi Queen,  Welcome to our site, we have people from Batavia, and Western New York area.  I've had neoadjuvant therapy and yes it's a difficult load to handle. The loss of hair is difficult as well as the surgery.  From your date of dx, I'm guessing you are in active therapy. Still chemo?  Hang on, it gets better. Once you get to the taxol, it was easier for me. My hair started to regrow (bonus).  Post anytime, we are here to help you reach the other side.

Hugs,,,

Maureen

• queenkong
    queenkong Member Posts: 48
    edited October 2012

Thank you Maureen,

I am in active therapy and I am very bald and it's no fun with winter coming. I get such chills between the hot flashes. My chemo treatments are set for eight (8) weeks, every other week; four (4) doses of AC (Adriamycin, Cytoxan) first, then four (4) of Taxol followed by surgery and eventually radiation. My fourth treatment on Wednesday will be the last of the AC. The taxol is easier? I concerned about the neuropathy. 

• karen333
    karen333 Member Posts: 2,037
    edited October 2012

Hi Queen, this is a wonderful group of supportive, bright women.  I did not have chemo, so have no additional info on that.  I will say I met Maureen for the first time when she was wearing her wig and thought, still do, that she was a beautiful person inside and out.  I am sure other ladies will be here to offer you their experiences.  Glad to have you!  Karen

• karen333
    edited October 2012

Hey Seaside - any nails left, mine are gone, hope hubby is relatively calm by now.  Bevin, how is your hubby/owner doing?, I got such a kick out of your comment last week. 

• queenkong
    edited October 2012

Thank you Karen, I hope so.

@Seaside - Tell me about the nails. Mine are turning blue underneath and hurt. The cuticles are pulling back and hurting too. I using a coco butter on them and bag balm.

• Maureen813
    edited October 2012

Hi Queen,  for me, Taxol was much easier.  Did you try icing your fingers to prevent the finger issue?  I ate ice chips and iced my fingers through treatment, had ridges in my nails but they came out okay.  I wore a wig out and a cap at home.  The cap will help through the winter, I went through the winter with no hair either, no fun.  Just keep looking for the light at the end of the tunnel.  A year from now, you'll have hair, even in places you didn't want it to grow back LOL. 

Good luck on your last AC tomorrow.  The third AC was the worst for me, don't know why but it really kicked my butt to the point I told my DH I wouldn't do the 4th tx. but I did and got through it.  Then taxol was really easy for me, physically and mentally.

Think the ladies earlier were talking about the Bills football team who suck, royally suck.  They need to make some major changes to that team or they are doomed.

Off to do scans tomorrow then right to the breast surgeon for results.  Say a prayer everything is okay and I''ll post tomorrow.  Have a super evening ladies.

Love,

Maureen

• karen333
    edited October 2012

Maureen, prayers being sent your way, and strength to be calm and able to sleep tonight.  The Bill's really do suck, Fitzpatrick is just so easily rattled and then unable to reclaim his demeaner.  He got the big contract, then went to pieces.

• janhart
    janhart Member Posts: 292
    edited October 2012

Hi Queen,

Welcome to our group. This is the nicest group of ladies. I did not have chemo, but it looks like you've gotten some good advice here. Come talk with us anytime.

Maureen, sending good thoughts and prayers to you. Tomorrow will be just fine.

Had an excruciating day at my mothers. More bad things happening in her neighborhood and she just won't consider moving. She is so stubborn. I just don't know what to do...it's so upsetting.

Missing everyone. Hope we can get together soon. Love, Jan

• karen333
    edited October 2012

Dear Jan, so sorry to hear of the bad situations happening in your mother's neigborhood and her refusal to move and leave her home.  My family all lived on the west side of Buffalo and when the neighborhood started to change all but one of my family moved.  My one aunt was like your mom, insisting she was safe and wanting to stay in her own home.  My cousin , his brothers and sisters and his parents started taking her on the weekends to safer apartment buildings as she refused the very thought of any type of assisted living situations.  With the whole family finding safer and attractive places to see, she finally gave in, I remember driving in her old neighborhood to see her and not feeling safe in the car.  Does she have a parish priest she might listen to? hugs, Karen

• heymoose
    heymoose Member Posts: 682
    edited October 2012

Hi Queen,

Welcome to the group. We are a fun loving group of women.  I hope you will be able to attend one of our lunches, they are very special.

Maureen, prayers for good scans and keep us posted on the results.

I was on a wine tasting trip w/ my SD and her fiance. We had a good time. However, I was done after lunch but we still went to 3 more vinyards.  I was a little tired after the long day.

Sending prayers to all.  Have a great day and enjoy the sun.

Hugs, Cheryl

• karen333
    edited October 2012

Hi all, wait till you hear about this!  I was watching A.M. Buffalo and Linda Pellegrino was not on again with no explanation for her absence.  She has probably been gone for more than a few weeks, and I was becoming concerned about a recurrence, of course that's where our minds go.   I googled WKBW. com and there was space to ask a question, so I asked where she was, and just got a response from her!  She had surgery on a paralyzed vocal cord and will be back on air Nov. 5th, sent from her Iphone.  I feel like I just met a celebrity!  She was so gracious.  I emailed back and told her of our group and how we all met and have become great friends and a source of support for each other.  Did not give out any names or particulars of course, hope that was OK with all of you.  I had been meaning to bring up her absence at lunch but kept forgetting.  Her email sounded just as enthusiastic as she is on air, WOW  Karen

• queenkong
    edited October 2012

I have not iced my fingers or toes. How exactly do you do that?

@Maureen - I am hoping for the best fir you with the scans

@janhart - I had a friendgo through this with her mother. She was 92 & living in East New York. She refused to move. Good luck with that.

@karen - Thanks for letting us know about Linda. 

• Maureen813
    edited October 2012

Hi folks, great news all is ok with me and was told: see you (drum roll......)  in A YEAR.  Yipee!!! Scans were good just the post op changes and lymph node is just that a lymph node. Plan forward, MRI in 6 mo. and a US and mammo in a year, so I'm down to being scanned every 6 mo. What a relief, I was so stressed, I came home and took a 2 hr. nap, I never nap, not even during chemo that much anyway. 

Jan, so sorry your mom is giving you trouble with moving.  My mom wouldn't budge from her own house, lived in home till the day she died.  Sometimes I think it's their safe place and moving would be too stressful.  I'd start looking into security systems and the necklaces they can wear if something happens.  And a lot of prayer.

Queen, I used to pack a ziplock bag with ice in it, put it in an insulated lunch bag and stick my fingers in it when they infused the chemo, not during saline et all, just during the chemo.  I also faithfully gargled with baking soda 4-6X/day to avoid mouth sores. If you are interested in attending the WNY educational day, PM me your email address and I'll forward information, really fun day with lots of free stuff.    

Karen, how exciting that you spoke so nicely of us, you should invite her to lunch when we go again, l'd love to meet her, seems like a kindred spirit. When I hear from Betty about weekend off, I'll call for reservations.

Cheryl, you need to rest after that wine trip, chocolate martini day will soon be upon us.

Bev/Susan, hope you are well and life is treating you kindly.

Betty, when is next day off?

Take care ladies,

Love, Maureen

• kindone
    kindone Member Posts: 435
    edited October 2012

Hi Ladies, I am also going for tumor markers tomarrow,  Maureen maybe I see you next door.  Good luck.

• karen333
    edited October 2012

Maureen, what super news, happy dance for you at next luncheon!!!!!!  See you in a year - music to our ears.  When we set a date, I'll ask Linda if she'd like to join us, she does seem like a kindred spirit doesn't she.  Didn't even need a chocolate martini to take that nap, makes you really wonder about the amount of adrenalin coursing through your body

• kindone
    edited October 2012

Maureen, Great news, I am a day behind.  I am off Nov 3,4-17,18-Let us know.

Betty

• heymoose
    edited October 2012

Maureen, great news. Chocolate martinis for all!!!!!!!!!!!!

Betty, good luck tomorrow.  How was the wedding?

Queen, hope you are doing well and have found some good advise on the boards.  I did not have chemo or radiation, but Maureen seems to be able to help you.  We are all here for emotional support.

Jan, moms can be so stubborn(okay spelling is not my thing tonight). I know I think my moms picture is in the dictionary for being stubborn. (I could use that dictionary right now).

Bevin, Susan hope all is well with you both.

Karen, it would be wonderful if Linda would join us for lunch. Do you think she will join us in Chocolate martini's? 

Sleep well all.

Hugs, Cheryl

• Maureen813
    edited October 2012

Good luck tomorrow Betty. Low as they can go lol. Ill make reservations this week. Need to check schedule.

Queen want to join us for lunch. No is ok until you feel better too

Hope chemo was.good

• karen333
    edited October 2012

Betty, prayers for good results so we can do two happy dances!!!!!!!! love, Karen

• karen333
    edited October 2012

Cheryl, I will try to entice her with our happy dances and chocolate martinis.  Who could resist that! love, Karen

• heymoose
    edited October 2012

Congratulations Karen, you are the 2,000 post on this board.  Happy Dance for you.

Have a great day to all.

Hugs, Cheryl

• karen333
    edited October 2012

Dear Cheryl, we are a wordy bunch aren't we, the 2000th, now that's 3 happy dances after we hear from Betty.  love, Karen 

• janhart
    janhart Member Posts: 292
    edited October 2012

Hi all, yes, waiting to hear from Betty....

I like the idea of inviting Linda P. to lunch. I follow her on twitter. She had her surgery just shortly before I had mine....same BS as some of us and she had chemo where some of you ladies did. My SIL who some of you know, said she was very gracious and down to earth....even when getting chemo. So I think we all have some little connection to her.

Maureen, congrats on your good check up....so happy for you.

Love, Jan

• Maureen813
    edited October 2012

Betty good news???

• karen333
    edited October 2012

Betty??? love, Karen

• kindone
    edited October 2012

Tumor makers normal, praise the Lord.  I can,t stand the stress on me. I called Onc's office three times today because they didn't come in until after 3.  There sick of meYell.  I don't care.  Whens lunch?  The wedding was great, alot of driving for a short time, but got to see all my husbands family.

Thank you for all your prayers  Betty

• karen333
    edited October 2012

Oh Betty, what wonderful news, was so worried.  Two chocolate martini's for you and I'll drive you home to South Buffalo.  Hate when they make you wait, so glad they got sick of you calling and so sorry they made you wait.   We will have alot of happy dances going on at lunch.  Maureen was waiting to hear from you to schedule lunch.  We are all so happy now!!!!!  love, Karen  ps as soon as we have a luncheon date, I will email Linda P. and ask her to join us in our celebration.

• bevin
    bevin Member Posts: 519
    edited October 2012

Betty - wonderful news.  Chocolate Martini it is.  YUM!

Sorry I've been so absent. Lots of travel and other family things going on.  I'll fill you all in when we see each other in person.

Quick question- any of you have an a high Mean Platelet Value (MPV)? MY GP called stating it was high.  Haven't got any information aside from that.

• Maureen813
    edited October 2012

Betty great news

Bev how high? I know if they had trouble getting the blood sample can cause high mpv

• heymoose
    edited October 2012

Great news Betty!