Western New York Area

Comments

• SusanHG
    SusanHG Member Posts: 455
    edited October 2012

Hi Everyone!!

Great to meet you, Queen!! this is a great group of ladies on this board.  I can attest to that!!  Great news to Maureen and Betty!!!  It is so wonderful to here good news on this board...Have my next mammo on Novemeber 7th, then I think I go to every year after that.  Well, finally found an answer to my ongoing skin problem---I have ---drum roll  please---yeast folliculits, probably due to wearing my lymphadema compressure bra 24/7 for months, combined with taking a steroid.  Geez, you'd think I would have had an answer a long time ago...this has been going on for almost 9 months!!  They had me on an antibiotic for 2 weeks, so it got much worse and was in a lot of pain, but now I am on oral and topical antifungals so hopefully, I will feel better soon.  Any dates for the next lunch yet?  Looking forward to seeing eveyone soon!!  Need to escape my thesis..it's driving me completely batty :0

Susan

• karen333
    karen333 Member Posts: 2,037
    edited October 2012

Hi Susan, that's how my cellulitis started - from a yeast infection, they treated me with topical antifungal powder and an IV antifungal and 3 different IV types of antibiotics!  How completely bizarre.  I was finally diagnosed by a doctor in the Infectious Diseases Department at Rochester General, when the straight IV antbiotics didn't work. I hope the pain is lessening now that they know for sure what it is, we'll have to have a happy dance for you too.  Can't wait to see everyone, hugs, Karen

• janhart
    janhart Member Posts: 292
    edited October 2012

Yay, Betty, happy for your good report.

Susan, you'd think that the doctors should have been able to diagnose this sooner. Glad you're on the road to feeling better.

Lunch? How is Nov 10 for everyone?

Jan

• SusanHG
    edited October 2012

I think I'm ok for Nov. 10th...have my nephew's 30th birthday party that day, but probably not at lunchtime.  Karen-that is bizarre!! but I can understand how it can get to be cellulitis!! mine was close I think.  I have alot of swellings under my skin and the my shoulder, arm, and upper back were so painful, I was pretty much out of my mind a few days ago!! pain is going away though, slowly, but getting better.  I think this is something that people with oily skin and acne get normally, but tight clothing does it as well.  If they would have treated it right away, it would have never gotten this bad.  I'm cutting sugar out of my diet and cleaning up my act here--I've been eating tons of halloween candy.  Every year I buy it like a month early, and every year I eat it!! except last year, I bought organic lollipops and didn't touch those!  I wonder why?? Laughing  I am looking forward to being out of pain and healthy again...I will feel like a new women!! Karen-hope you are feeling better now.  That must have been scary for you.  Can't wait to catch up soon...

Susan

• karen333
    edited October 2012

I can make the 10th or the 17th, Betty - do you have the 10th off.  Cannot wait to see you all! hugs, Karen

• kindone
    kindone Member Posts: 435
    edited October 2012

Ladies, I can't make it on the 10th, I work that weekend, but do whats best for all the others.

Love Betty

• karen333
    edited October 2012

Betty, do you work on the 17th?

• janhart
    edited October 2012

The 17th works for me.

• Maureen813
    Maureen813 Member Posts: 1,826
    edited October 2012

Think we'll have to do the 17th.  Been busy at work lately and celebrating my sister's 55 BD tomorrow, next weekend busy too.  I'll call for reservations and PM info.

PM me if your in.

Maureen

• Maureen813
    edited October 2012

Hi Ladies, sounds like a nasty storm is coming.  Stay safe.  Didn't get a chance to call today but have a note to remember tomorrow then I'll send PM's. Hope everyone is well.  Busy day today, gasing up generator, car, grocery shopping, then to FOUR stores for new cat food the vet wants Iris to eat from now on.  Man 1.35/can, 4 cans/day, she'll eat better than the rest of us at that price LOL.  No more vomiting though, really good news, couldn't take that anymore.  Then we took sister to the movies to see ALex Cross.  The news provided less than stellar reviews however I thought the movie was wonderful.  A police mystery, little violent but not too bad, great plot.  I think I'll buy the books on my kindle to read.

Love,

Maureen

• karen333
    edited October 2012

Love, love, love police mysteries.  Really enjoy Patricia Cornwall series too.  Went to a Mystery Lover's Book Club meeting at our local library on Monday to discuss the book Haunted Ground by Erin Halt, set in Ireland, present day.  After the dicussion we were able to talk to her via Skype and ask questions, it was such a great time. This was her debut novel, now has four in her series, working on the fifth.  I scarfed up the second book, amazing how quickly I can move with that cane, so will be reading my way through the storm, so hope we don't lose power and the storm isn't as bad as they are predicting.  Hate to be on the coastal areas of New Jersy or anywhere in that immediate area. stay safe everyone, Karen

• karen333
    edited October 2012

Maureen, isn't it slightly amazing what we will do for our cats.  One of my get ready shopping trips was a stop at the one pet shop in Batavia that sells Sophie's treats, Kitty Kaviar, so that Sophie won't run out. it is dried white fish flakes, all the cheap treats she throws up.

• Maureen813
    edited October 2012

I think I'm ready for the bad weather, I got new windshield wipers, gas tank full, generator out, back up tanks for generator, food in fridge, two cases of water, house clean, wood stacked, batteries, flashlights, battery operated candles....did I forget something?  Yes,  prayers, lots of prayers. I hope Tues. night is ok for the trick or treaters, the little ones wait all year for this day, I'd love to see it be okay to enjoy the festivities.   I've been watching the weather channel all day and cleaning.  I clean when I get nervous. wanted to get the laundry complete in case power goes out.  I have two tubs of towels left.  Yes, I will call tomorrow for reservations.  Have to go to cardiologist for 1 yr. checkup, then off to work. 

Stay safe my friends, they are predicting really nasty weather.

How is everyone?

• karen333
    edited October 2012

Hi Maureen, this storm looks horrendous, the poor people on the coast!!!  Sounds like you have got all your bases covered, we are as ready as can be, except no generator, praying for no huge loss of power, but those wind gusts look pretty high, at least most of the trees aren't leaf laden, like they were for that early October storm.  I used to clean when I got really angry, that last year of my marriage, the house gleamed!  Everyone stay safe and sound.  love, Karen

• bevin
    bevin Member Posts: 519
    edited October 2012

Wow- Karen-  Feel free to pop by my house if your nervous... I could use a gleaming house!!

Maureen- I can tell you manage projects - goodness you are prepared.  I feel unprepared. We do have a generator but of course, my husband doesn't know how to hook it up so that will do us absolutly no good! You'd think given the weeks warning he'd have pullled it out of the garage and made sure he knows how to turn stuff on. UGH! I do wish I had a handy husband. p.s... I loved all the alex cross stories - can't think of the author but loved the story lines whith him in it.

I hope everyone is well.

• janhart
    edited October 2012

Been watching the weather channel all day too and updating my family on the status of the storm. I think they're sick of hearing about it. DH did get the generator ready and did some other preparations just in case. Do hope everyone is safe. We have family along the coast in DC, Baltimore, NYC and Boston.

Stay safe....love, Jan

• kindone
    kindone Member Posts: 435
    edited October 2012

I can do the 17th, Yes

• SusanHG
    edited October 2012

Well, not sure if we are prepared here.  I guess I will have to gas up the car.  I don't have any bottled water, but I don't think we'll need this right? just put the bucket out Wink We don't have a generator, and Stephan just left for California this morning!!  Our sump pump is in the crawl, so hopefuly we won't flood more than 4 feet down there??OMG, we could be in trouble!!  Oh brother!! not to mention our all read leaking roof!! guy will be starting it AFTER the storm....

Susan

• Maureen813
    edited October 2012

How did everyone do?  We did okay.  On my way to work this AM, I saw the most beautiful rainbow, it really made my day.  Saw it clear as day all the way to work.  Made my shitty rest of the day seem ok LOL!!!

Maureen

• karen333
    edited October 2012

Only had a few wind gusts that felt really strong, but we really dodged a bullet, those poor, poor people on the coast.  On Diane Sawyer and the Evening News  did anyone see the evacuation of the ICU babies from the hospital where the back-up generator did not work.  The nurses were on the stretchers cuddling the babies and using the hand bag to oxygenate them.  God the beauty of the human spirit, I was in tears.

• Maureen813
    edited October 2012

Didn't see that Karen. Just reading your post brings tears to my eyes. God bless the special men and women who care for the critically ill....a special breed. Cant wait to see you. No I didn't make reservations yet haven't had a lunch break to do. Its been that way lately. Did you ever feel you are set up to fail? Offline conversation...

Love me

• karen333
    edited October 2012

Dear Maureen, I felt just that way once, it was the last half year of the job I retired from, I can remember once walking through the hallway of the second campus they assigned me to, I was bumped from overseeing 90 children to 180 and around the clock shifts, 24/7 of the best direct care staff there were.  I felt like I was running to keep on top of everything, but that one walk I can remember thinking, "if I was walking any slower, I'd be standing still".Take care dear friend, Karen  Only 3 more days.

• karen333
    edited October 2012

Hi all, I invited Linda P. to join us on the 17th, I'll let you know if I hear from her, gave her the time and place also the date and that reservations were in Maureen's name, we'll have to wait and see if she accepts.  Hope everyone is well and that Buster is behaving himself. love, Karen

• heymoose
    heymoose Member Posts: 682
    edited November 2012

Hi All,

Happy to hear we all came through Sandy.  My niece and her family live on Long Island and they had trees down and are without power.  It could be out for 2-3 weeks.  I pray that they will be safe. The baby is 18 months old and I hope she stays warm.

The 17th sounds good to me.  I can't wait to see everyone.  Miss you all.

Hugs, Cheryl

• Maureen813
    edited November 2012

Cheryl sounds like your niece needs to come to Buffalo for a visit.  NYC sounds like they're going to be down for weeks.  Hopefully all the help from other states will move that timeframe up a few weeks.  NYC needs a break.  Seems one thing after another in that part of NY.  Prayers to your niece and family.

Karen,  Jan is making reservation for me, havent had time at work.  Can you PM her the time you mentioned to your friend? 

Funny story, on facebook they were asking what your favorite halloween candy is.  My reply:  The unfavorite halloween candy is a much shorter list---tootsie rolls yuck

Happy halloween everyone.

• karen333
    edited November 2012

All set Maureen, Cheryl - great idea for your niece to spend some time in quiet, peaceful WNY, can she get off the Island to get here?  I know all the power trucks they had in reserve here in Batavia headed down to NYC.  Prayers being said for her and her family, especially the little one.  love, Karen

• Maureen813
    edited November 2012

A girl I work with sister has Bc had a mastectomy and lives in Nyc. No power since Monday. Say a prayer for her. Thanks Jan for the arrangements. Unbelievable times lately. Had a few trick or treaters but really down from the last couple yrs. Work still crazy. I'm. Good though. Have a new attitude. I do what I can but that's all I'm doing.

• karen333
    edited November 2012

Dear Maureen, prayers being said.  That's a good attitude: do what you can, that's all work can ask of you.  love, Karen

• heymoose
    heymoose Member Posts: 682
    edited November 2012

Hi All,

Thanks for your prayers for my niece and family. I will see you all in the 17th.  I am sorry to hear about your coworkers sister having BC.  Prayers are being sent her way.

Karen or Maureen will you be attending the Education Day tomorrow?  Let me know my SIL had to cancel and I would like to go.

Well going to Thanksgiving dinner at another SIL's.  We always get together before the holidays.  Turkey YUMO!!!!!!!!!

Hugs, Cheryl

• karen333
    edited November 2012

Hi Cheryl, will be at the seminar tomorrow, plan on getting there at 8, meet us there?  Hugs, Karen