Western New York Area

Comments

• kindone
    kindone Member Posts: 435
    edited July 2013

Karen, I am so sorry to hear about DGS.  What a downer having a cast on all summer.poor kid. 

Love Betty

• bevin
    bevin Member Posts: 519
    edited July 2013

aww Karen- what an awful time to be in a cast. Hoping its a removable one so he can get some air on the leg. If its a fiberglass non removable one they have a product called castcooler which brings air into the cast and cools the leg and removes the itchies.  I'm happy to drive mine over if you need. Call me or pm me.

• Maureen813
    Maureen813 Member Posts: 1,826
    edited July 2013

Great idea Bevin. I know you speak from experience :(

• heymoose
    heymoose Member Posts: 682
    edited July 2013

Karen, boy is your dgs going to be a very unhappy camper this summer.  I hope all goes well on wednesday and he heals fast.

Hugs All

• karen333
    karen333 Member Posts: 2,037
    edited July 2013

Hi all, thank you all for your support, it is so hard to see him like this, today he is going to his other grandparents' house, they have central A/C, so he can see his dad.  His dad has not made an effort to see him till today, it was not surprising to me.  bevin if they are going to put him in the nonremoveable fiberglass cast, I'll be calling on you, thank you so much for offering the cast cooler.  He is already bored silly, but his friend has been here to relieve some of that boredom, he has been a great help.  Hoping for good news on Wed., that the ligament was stretched rather than torn.  It would be a mighty long summer if surgery is required.  Send prayers please that that is the case.  love, Karen

• janhart
    janhart Member Posts: 292
    edited July 2013

Hi Karen, so sorry about your grandson's accident....sure hope it's not as bad as it could be when he goes to the dr. Will pray for a good outcome. Poor kid.....

Love, Jan

• LindaJD
    LindaJD Member Posts: 134
    edited July 2013

Hi everyone,

I am going out of town for the next week to visit my son, who lives in Long Island.  I fly to JFK tomorrow!  I haven't seen him since before my surgery so I am really excited about this trip.  This is my reward to myself for finishing radiation! 

Karen, so sorry to hear about your grandson; hope he is feeling better soon.

Hope all of you are doing well and have a great week.

Hugs, Linda

• heymoose
    edited July 2013

Linda, enjoy your trip you deserve it.!!!!!

• karen333
    edited July 2013

Dear Linda, we will learn more tomorrow at the Dr., hoping for good news.  Have a wonderful time with your son, you truly deserve it, hugs, Karen

• Maureen813
    edited July 2013

Yay Linda!!! Enjoy your precious time with your son. See the sites and celebrate. Stay cool my friend and may the Lord provide you with safe travels.

Karen good luck with dgs.

Keep cool everyone. I wanted to be warm not sweltering. Have to speak with mother nature.

Hi to everyone else

Love

Maureen

• janhart
    edited July 2013

Linda, what a nice way to reward yourself....enjoy your time with your son!

Karen, hoping for a good report when grandson goes to dr tomorrow!

Hope the rest of my friends are doing well! Yes, it sure is hot!!!

• bevin
    edited July 2013

Linda- have fun in NYC and enjoy your family time.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weather. Its hot, but way better than snow and rain!

• karen333
    edited July 2013

Hi all, very disappointed DGS, the doctor took x-rays of both legs to compare the knee area.  He said the ligament is very week and the cast needs to stay on at least another 2 weeks, then re-evaluate the knee.  DGS asked for a knee brace but the Dr. said one wrong move and it would rip and then surgery would be needed.  He is extremely upset, Dr. reminded him that if it had happened in the late summer, he would be missing his whole football season, he  is too upset to care.  This is going to take more than brownies.  He is coming up the stairs now so he can be in the A/C, the fans downstairs are just pushing hot air around, cannot wait for this heat wave to break!!  bevin, he is not itchy, but I do thank you for your kind offer.  hugs, Karen

• heymoose
    edited July 2013

Karen, sorry to hear that he will be in a cast for the next two weeks. I hope he will not have to have surgery after this.  My heart goes out to him. Sending healing prayers for your DGS. 

Hope all are doing well in this heat, but it is better than snow and cold. 

Hugs, Cheryl

• bevin
    edited July 2013

Dear Karen, Let me know. Its helps with stinky casts and heat too. Happy to ship it

• heymoose
    edited July 2013

Okay, funny thing happened to me this morning.  I have the sprinkler on the gardens and I went out to move it and my glasses fog over when I walked outside.  I could not see for a minute.  I now know how well the air conditioning is working.  

HOpe everyone is staying cool.

Hugs, Cheryl

• LindaJD
    edited July 2013

Hi Everyone,

IT IS SO HOT HERE ON LONG ISLAND!!!  The humidity sucks but it sure is better than cold & snow!  My son received some great news since I've been here.   He was offered a FULL TIME Teaching Job in CT!   Not that I want him to move to CT but he really needs a full time job.  So we have been searching for apartments & possibly driving to CT on Sunday to look @ a few.  He only has about 5 weeks to figure things out! 

Karen, Sorry that your grandson has to be miserable w/ a cast in this heat.  I hope he can find things to do besides eating your brownies!  

Keep cool ladies,

Hugs, Linda

• heymoose
    edited July 2013

Linda,

So happy for your son.  Now I wish my SD would get a full time teaching job. 

Hugs to all, Cheryl

• karen333
    edited July 2013

Hi all, so far I've made 3 batches of brownies, bought a video game, and one run to Burger King, he best be able to get out of the cast in 2 weeks, or he will be way above his weight class for football.  Thank you all for your concern, it is so very much appreciated.  Great news Linda, FT teaching jobs are hard to come by!!!!  One more day of this heat and we will all be able to breathe again, just too hot. love, Karen

• janhart
    edited July 2013

Enjoying the sound of thunder and rain, but my big yellow lab is such a baby and runs and hides on the side of the bed at the first sound of thunder.

Linda, great news about your son's job. My older daughter was called back to teach this sept after being laid off for a year. She is so happy to go back to teaching as the business world wasn't her thing.

younger daughter picked out beautiful wedding dress today....so much fun watching her try on dresses. The one she picked is absolutely beautiful!

Karen, sounds like you're doing a great job taking care of your grandson, he's a lucky kid.

Well, I think this heat is gonna break with this storm, hope everyone is safe.

Love, Jan

• Maureen813
    edited July 2013

Hi all

Linda congrads to your ds. You must be so very proud pf him. Ct is beautiful. What grade is he teaching? Stay cool. They are saying nyc is terrible. You know when the weather channel is there weather is severe.

Jan tucker is a baby too. The big lit is literally on my lap. This storm is a doozy. My lights are flickering and a tree is on fire on dodge. Too close for comfort. Glad to hear your daughter was called back. What a relief.

Hi cheryl Betty Bevin debbie Susan

Karen keep taking care of dgs he'll remember the rest of his life.

Love you ladies

Maureen

• bevin
    edited July 2013

Dear Jan, My dog is so afraid of the thunder too.  I may need to buy one of those "thunder shirts" for her. You feel so bad that they're scared. For me, I loved the strom. It rolled in at night, watered all my flowers and rolled out in time for a beauriful day. Yipee!!

I cannot believe you and your daughter went dress shopping. Given I cry at my child graduating kindergarten, and going to the father - daughter dances, I can not imagine ever watching her put on a wedding dress. Very exciting time for you both.

Karen- the next time I break a limb, can I hire you???? My husband doesn't provide brownies and movies!

Maureen, Linda, susan, Betty, skygirl,  hopefully I didnt miss anyone- have a great weekend.

• karen333
    edited July 2013

bevin, for you we will do the entire chocolate experience and add fudge frosting to the brownies and a chocolate martini to sip.  That was some storm last night, my cat never left my side, she had her ears all perked up, feels so much better today without the hot, hazy and humid!  hugs, Karen

• LindaJD
    edited July 2013

Hi Karen, Maureen, Cheryl, Jan, Betty, Debbie, Colleen, Susan,

Thanks for all the well wishes;  I am really proud of my son; he has worked so hard trying to find teaching jobs for the last 3 years.  Like Karen said, full time teaching jobs are few & far between, so I am overjoyed that this opportunity finally worked out for him.  We did take the ferry from LI to CT on Sunday & met w/ a realtor.  Of all the apts. we were shown, there was a 2 bedroom condo available & my son really like it, so we put a deposit on it.  Now he just has to pack & move, yet again, to CT sometime in August.  He will be teaching Italian 7th & 8th grades. 

Jan, when is your daughter getting married?  When my younger son got married 3 years ago, it was such an exciting time; planning bridal showers & rehearsal dinners! 

I hope everyone is enjoying the cooler weather we've had lately! 

Hugs, Linda

• karen333
    edited July 2013

Hi all, I am sick of smelling brownies, DGS has a great big gut on him, he will be rehabbing and dieting, goes to Sports Injury Clinic on Wed, to see if it can come off, he is going for a knee brace, I am thinking another 2 weeks.  Today DGD asked for Sponge Cake, sick of brownies too.  Linda, a job and an apartment settled, congratulations, that was quick work, so happy for you and your son.  That cooler weather was delicious, nice to cozy up in bed with the comforter on,  Miss you all, bevin, Cheryl, Debbie, Maureen, Jan, Susan and Betty.  How was Buster's Tough Love Boot Camp?  love, Karen

• Maureen813
    edited July 2013

Hi all. Good job Linda you accomplished a lot in a very short period. So someone broke into son's truck and took overnight and took money and the hitch off! !!! What the heck. The car was in the driveway. Had to happen somewhere between 2 and 6 am. Then he got angry because I asked him why in the world would you leave money in the truck? Probably the wrong time to ask as my dh so blatantly pointed out but I was just thinking out loud. Hope they really needed tthat money and it goes to a good cause for stealing from a kid. Of course I will help him out it just makes me sad that people do things like this. Hope everyone enjoyed this really nice cool day.

Take care

Maureen

• karen333
    edited July 2013

Hi all, my cousin, who had bc 15 yrs. ago, passed away last night from brain cancer, she was 68, had been in asssted living for 3 mos.  She was a beautiful, sensitive person, who will be missed.  I so hate this damn disease!!

• Skigirl72
    Skigirl72 Member Posts: 180
    edited July 2013

So sorry to hear about your cousin Karen. Way to young... Hugs!

Its been a crazy few weeks for me. Weddings, graduation parties, birthday parties... ugh. I have seen enough of my family for a while. My older sister went in for a knee replacement. She's had years of pain and she is only 43. When they got into her leg they found an infection in the bone. She now has NO knee! She has a spacer and her knee is immobilized for 2 weeks till they can see whats going on with her bones.

My uncle passed away from lymphoma last week. He had pancreatic cancer 20 years ago... He was in his 80s.

I go in next week for my ALND and revisions. I am ready to get this next step behind me.

What a bus summer it had been.... I hope all of you are well...

• bevin
    edited July 2013

Dear Karen, I am so sorry for your loss.

My prayers are with you and your family. God Bless your cousin.

• kindone
    kindone Member Posts: 435
    edited August 2013

Karen so sorry to hear about your cousin.  My thoghts and paryers are with you.  Betty