Western New York Area

Comments

• kindone
    kindone Member Posts: 435
    edited September 2013

Cheryl, Prayers for your father. Pat how did you make out. I can make lunch sept 21-22 or oct 5-6. Betty

• janhart
    janhart Member Posts: 292
    edited September 2013

Sorry to hear some of your family and friends are still struggling. Hoping God grants them all better health, and peace to all of you who worry so much about your loved ones.

Linda, hoping you can gain some strength to get through this mess....we are here for you.

Pat, praying for good results from your latest biopsy.....know that we are here for you too and waiting to hear good news.

Hi to everyone. Hope this end of summer weather stays nice for a while....not ready for cold.

Hope to see you all soon! Love, Jan

• patsback
    patsback Member Posts: 36
    edited September 2013

Had the biopsy yesterday.  Hopefully I won't have to have another one like that again.  Ugh!  They say about 3 days for the results, so possibly when I meet with the doctor again next week.

• karen333
    karen333 Member Posts: 2,037
    edited September 2013

Dear Pat, so sorry the biopsy was so painful, in 3-4 days let us hear the word benign!!  Calming thoughts being sent your way, waiting is so anxiety producing.  We are all here for you.  Hi dear ladies, miss you all!!! My stepDD saw the Dr. yesterday, he said she should expect pain like she is experiencing for the next 3 weeks. Then it should taper off, she should see maximum success in 4 months, if he does not they would have to"revisit the surgical procedures", she is to say the least very disappointed.  He cut her present pain med in half and added another one, also gave her a muscle relaxant.  It seems he could have prepared her for the rehab time and the pain, she is coping though, it is hard for her because she is such an active woman, to lay around is depressing.  She has 5 children and a spotless house, plus she was taking kick boxing 4x a week.  Going to go see her next week, between all of us she has distractions and time to rest.  Cheryl, how is dad?  hugs to all, Karen

• heymoose
    heymoose Member Posts: 682
    edited September 2013

Karen, dad has had many set backs. He is still in the hospital and they will be doing a colonoscopy within the next few days.  He has internal bleeeding and they are trying to stop it.  He is still doning pt twice a day so that is good for him.  Please continue prayers for him. I really do not know what else to do for him.

Hugs to all and I miss you.

Cheryl

• karen333
    edited September 2013

Dear Cheryl, prayers winging their way to your dad and skill for the Doctors treating him.  My heart aches for you and your family, may the Doctors treating him find the right procedure to treat him and restore him to health.  You are constantly in my thoughts, love, Karen

• Maureen813
    Maureen813 Member Posts: 1,826
    edited September 2013

Praying for your dad and family. Call if you need to talk

• karen333
    edited September 2013

Dear Cheryl, how is dad doing today?  Prayers for him, you and your family and the doctors and nurses caring for him continue.  love, Karen

• heymoose
    edited September 2013

Hi Ladies, Just spoke with Dad and he is in good spirits.  He is in Unitys rehab facility and it is very nice.  He is up and walking, doing his exercises.  His blood levels are getting better.  All of your prayers are working.  Thank you.

I hope everyone has a good weekend.

Hugs, Cheryl

• karen333
    edited September 2013

Dear Cheryl, what great news, when we pray, we pray!  He is on the first steps to going home now, they will keep him busy with all the exercises to get him ready to do all the daily living skills he will need, so glad he is in good spirits, what wonderful weekend news. hugs Karen

• SusanHG
    SusanHG Member Posts: 455
    edited September 2013

So many prayers to go out to you all: Cheryl-prayers to your dad.  Hope he is just getting better and better. Pat-prayers for benign!! and welcome to our group. hope you can find comfort here. Karen: prayers to your SDD as well so that she is out of pain.  Linda: prayers that your situation improves and you are able to find peace.  skigirl: prayers to Holly. So sorry to hear about your friend.  I guess with dont have a lunch date yet? understandable with all that has been going on :(.  My computer has been broken and now it has been fixed.  Caught a nasty virus and was out of it for a few days, but I think I may be almost fully recovered today.  Hope everything gets better for all of us here....send lots of hugs and love to you all <3.....love, Susan.

• patsback
    patsback Member Posts: 36
    edited September 2013

Well the bone biopsy confirmed it as cancerous (sp?).  Started aridimex yesterday.  Got a script for post-mastectomy bra and prosthetic.  Not sure where to go for that..I think they said Thelma's Boutique on Park Avenue.  The other news they gave me is that I have a hiatal hernia and fibroids on my uterus.  As far as the uterus, they say that's kind of normal for someone my age (hmmmmph).  They aren't concerned with that.  Any thoughts?

• karen333
    edited September 2013

Dear pat, sorry to hear the news that it was not benign, that is a lot to absorb, I do know that my former employer has been dealing with breast and bone cancer for over 10 years and is still going strong, working full time at a very demanding job.  Thelma's is on the corner, two houses down from the corner of Goodman and Park, it faces Park Ave.  I found them to be very caring and competent with a wide variety of bras to choose from, your insurance should cover part if not all of the purchase price.  I went in as a walk in and they were not busy and were able to work with me, the best course is to make an appointment.  Don't be tempted to park in their lot behind the house, I did and it took me forever to back out and a lot of leaves from the bordering bushes came with me.  Stay close - others will follow me as the work day ends, sending calming thoughts and a "it is what it is" philosophy that you employ so well.  Gentle hugs, Karen

• DC197
    DC197 Member Posts: 58
    edited September 2013

Hi Pat,

I'm in Rochester, too .... actually Irondequoit.  My diagnosis was very similar to your ... stage IV from the start with mets to the spine.  That was 3 years ago this month, and I'm actually doing fine.  I am on anastrozole (generic of Arimidex) and only had some side effects initially, but not anymore. I am also receiving Zometa infusions every 2 months at RGH. I had my uterus removed years ago for fibroids, but if they're not bothering you, you don't have to have them removed.

The advice that Karen gave you about Thelma's is exactly as she describes.  It is an old house, but they have tons of stuff (I have a compression sleeve for lymphedema) and the staff is very nice. 

What part of Rochester do you live in?

Diane

• heymoose
    edited September 2013

Pat, sorry to hear that it is cancerous, be strong and have faith, god is with you. They found it early and your doctors will have a plan of action for you soon. Sending you hugs and prayers. Praying that God will guide your doctors. I am in Rochester frequently and will try to meet you soon. Hopefully Linda and Debbie will be able to meet also.

Thanks for all your prayers for my father. He is finally being sprung from the hospital. Yeah!!!!!

Miss you all and hope to see you soon! Hugs

Cheryl.

• karen333
    edited September 2013

Dear Cheryl, so glad to hear dad has flown the coop, now to get ready to go home.  Bet you are all so relieved, it was a long haul.  DC, did you attempt to park in the lot?, I was finding leaves in strange places for quite awhile and my language backing out was atrocious.  Missing all my friends, seems like we go so long between luncheons, though I know it is only a month, feels like forever.  hugs to all, Karen

• LindaJD
    LindaJD Member Posts: 134
    edited September 2013

Hi Ladies,

Pat, sorry you received bad news.  It seems like that's all we ever get these days.  Cheryl, glad to hear your Dad is going home.  Yes, when ever you are in Rochester, we should try to get together. 

I have gone back to work part time & am feeling the fatigue.  I'm sure my living situation isn't helping.  I wish some one (like a fairy godmother) could give me a itemized list of what I should do 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.  I still can't believe that he did this to me; just threw me out like a piece of garbage after 11 yrs.  I can't sleep @ night cause I have too much on my mind. I'm thinking of writing a book someday & the title will be "I got cancer, then I got dumped"! 

Hugs to all,

Linda

• bevin
    bevin Member Posts: 519
    edited September 2013

Dear Pat, I am so sorry that your biopsy was confirmed cancer.  I wish you strength as you go through your treatment . We're all here for you.

Dear Linda, I know its hard to think this now as you have so much change to manage, but one day you will say you dumped him.

Hugs to everyone else, hope you're all well.

Bevin

• DC197
    DC197 Member Posts: 58
    edited September 2013

Karen,

My husband usually drives me to Thelma's and waits outside.  He manages to turn the car around in the lot and drive straight out.  It's a tight area and I don't know if I would be able to do that, so I'm grateful that he comes with me.  We didn't take any leaves with us. Wink

Diane

• Maureen813
    Maureen813 Member Posts: 1,826
    edited September 2013

Dearest Pat. So sorry to hear the shifty cancer spread. Many women on the stage iv threads have this dx and are living good quality productive lives. They are always developing new treatments and hopefully a cure in the near future. I will pray for God to guide the hands of your doctors to provide the best care with the least side effects. Please keep is up to date and we are all here for you.

Linda. I think its wonderful you are taking the first steps to getting on your feet. You are on the other side of this mess and things are looking up.

All what about first weekend in Oct.? Would you rather do batavia again to make it easier for the Rochester girls? Let me know

Sorry ive been absent lately. Ddwas home to visit and brother in law was pretty sick for awhile so we've been really focused on family issues. Miss dd the day she went home. Ds is doing well. Just called him and told him to come home from Lancaster speedway because he's on the motorcycle and driving me crazy as usual. Work is really busy too busy having trouble keeping up. Off to bed to start another day.

love to all my dear friends

Maureen

• karen333
    edited September 2013

Dear Maureen, first weekend in Oct. would be great, and in Batavia is AOK with me.  We are getting to be a tri-county group, who would have thought we would have grown so much at our first luncheon at the Bison restaurant, I remember it so vividly.  Maureen, you had just finished chemo and it was your first time out without your wig, now we are so close in our friendships!!  Always there for each other.  hugs, Karen

• kindone
    kindone Member Posts: 435
    edited September 2013

Sorry I can't make lunch Oct 5th I have a wedding in Ohio, Sorry go ahead with out me  Love ya Betty

• bevin
    bevin Member Posts: 519
    edited September 2013

HI all, I will not be able to make lunch until after October 8th, so please just plan without me.

Seriously ..... just saw a Kmart advert on TV  yesterday for Christmas lay-away... what, really??? It's not even October yet, where is Halloween and Thanksgiving.?? Christmas in September??? ARGHH.

• Skigirl72
    Skigirl72 Member Posts: 180
    edited September 2013

Hi Ladies

Cheryl- Glad your father is out of the hospital!

Pat- Sorry to hear about your results. This BC crap sucks.

Linda- Keep moving forward. Focus on you and put that piece of shit behind you. You are too good to let him live in your head rent free...

Thanks Susan for the kind words about Holly. For those who haven't seen, One of our jan 2013 chemo ladies is days away from getting her wings. She has been in the hospital for a few weeks with what they thought was pneumonia. Well, looks like it was METS in her lungs and liver. She is holding on... barely. She has a loving DH and a beautiful 8 yr old son. We have a private facebook page for all the jan chemo girls and a few others we've met along the way... We are all devastated and just waiting... wondering when it is that we have to take a drive to the Chicago area to say goodbye to our warrior friend.

I am good for lunch oct 5th, 12th, 19th. I have a wedding to attend on the 26th.

Sending hugs... I might need a chocolate martini after all this...

Debbie

• karen333
    edited September 2013

Dear Debbie, I am so very sorry to hear the devastating news about your  friend, Holly.  It is one of the hardest things about making friends on bc.org, the possibility of losing a dear friend.  Our group went through this in February of 2012, the best and most comforting part of this group and your chemo group is you don't go through it alone, your group supports you as you support each other.  The most comforting thing that was said to me was, "would you rather have never known her, or feel the pain you feel now".  She will join our dear friend Esther, who will welcome her to a life without pain and suffering, I still cry as I type this.  We will have the chocolate martini ready for you at lunch.  You are in my thoughts, love, Karen

• heymoose
    edited September 2013

I too have lost so many friends to cancer on bc.org, wny and at Guilda's club over the last five years.  I agree with what Karen quoted.  I am better for having met my friends and very sad to loose them.  Debbie, I am sorry you are going throught this and am keeping you and your friend in my prayers.

Hugs

• karen333
    edited September 2013

Hi all, the hospital saga continues, Karianne has been admitted back into the hospital at Unity with what they think is a staph infection in her incision, she is on 2 antibiotics intravenously  and 2 by mouth, she had emergency surgery last night to clean out the stiched area and now has a drain. They have also called in Iinfectious Disease department. They say she will be in hospital till at least Monday, with a nurse coming iin to clear the drain, check her temp., and moniter the site if she goes home on Monday, continued prayers, please ladies.  I'm getting a feeing of deja vu from last summer and my hospital stay.

• heymoose
    edited September 2013

Karianne is in my prayers. Hugs Karen to you and her mom.

• janhart
    janhart Member Posts: 292
    edited September 2013

Hi my friends, checking in to see how you all are. Karen, how is your step daughter, Cheryl, how is your dad?

Pat, so sorry you got the news none of us wants to hear. Debbie put it best, "this BC crap sucks." but know that we are here for you.

Linda, how are things going? Hoping you can piece things together and get on with your life.

Debbie, how is your friend Holly....such a difficult time.

I truly hope the rest of my friends are doing well. I am having a hard time adjusting to this cool weather....just not ready. Take care everyone, Love, Jan

• heymoose
    edited September 2013

Jan, this weather sucks.  I am not sure how I will handle winter this year.  I guess just grin and bare it.

My dad is home and doing good. He is walking around with a walker, I saw him Sunday and he is in good spirits and very happy to be home.

One of my Ta Ta Sisters is in hospice and only has about 3-4 weeks, I would like to ask you to pray for her.  I will be leaving for our 5th TA TA Sisterhood reunion in Vegas next Wednesday.  It will be a bitter sweet reunion.  We lost one of our sisters earlier this year and now one will be leaving us soon and one is in the hospital w/ a very nasty boken ankle.  We will celebrate life and those who are not with us and the those who have passed on.  That is what our reunion is about, " you are never alone".  

I hope we can get together in October and Celebrate our lives.  I miss you all.

Hugs, Cheryl