Western New York Area

Comments

• Skigirl72
    Skigirl72 Member Posts: 180
    edited November 2013

Hi Inks... where are you? I live up by the lake in Charlotte. I have a 11yr old son. I just finished Radiation. I had my chemo at Pluta. Where are you going? If you go to Pluta please ask for Kitty!!! She is the most amazing nurse ever!

• SeasideMemories
    SeasideMemories Member Posts: 2,462
    edited November 2013

Well shoot, Maureen! For what was supposed to be just routine stuff, they are certainly putting you through the wringer.

I went through the routine office visit turning into "you've got to be kidding me" with my supposedly routine PAP smear last year. Appt led to transvaginal US which showed uterine thickening which could be due to Tamoxifen or cancer (say, what?) Given that ILC really likes to spread to reproductive organs to say I was flipping out would be an understatement.

That US led to a more invasive (you are going to put a tube, where?) and more specialized procedure (sonohysterography) where they could get a better view. Nope, still nothing definitive! Need a D&C w/ pathology. Went for day surgery for that one. In the end, despite all of the testing and extreme anxiety all was fine.

The point being, they are checking you out with a fine tooth comb! With each and every test you have there is a chance they will find something (including false positives) that needs to be checked. I think that would be true of people who have not even had a serious illness. We all have oddities within us that most often are not seen or checked out because we just aren't looking! The difference with us is every single thing they see painted with the 'cancer' brush and becomes ominous.

If I understand correctly, so far all has checked out OK (aside from the fact that your nerves have got to be stretched to the breaking point) and the bone biopsy is the last hurdle to clear?

I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for the all clear and sending you peaceful and calming thoughts while you wait.

Hugs,

Seaside

• inks
    inks Member Posts: 57
    edited November 2013

skigirl - I'm in Conesus in the middle of nowhere (oh, we do have bears). Going to RGH, 1hr drive. My husband found out later about the Pluta in Henrietta. I was not really thinking about the distances when I started this ordeal, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. They may consider radiation for my axilla as well since I had a micromet in one node (we did not go back for ALND). Did they go back for ALND because of your positive node? How's your arm? My grandmother got lymphedema from her mastectomy. How is your range of motion 2 months out from surgery? Good nurses do make a big difference. I also have almost 2 year old daughter.

• bevin
    bevin Member Posts: 519
    edited November 2013

Dear Karen- praying your test is good and goes well. Stay strong.

Dear Maureen - A PET that warrants a bone biopsy is not great news, but that being said, I am glad the doctors are carefully watching out for you. I am glad to hear your liver and kidney are fine. Praying benign results for the bone biopsy and as little pain as there can be with it. Did they mention the SUV of the bone area of concern? I'd be scared too and wish you strength as you go through this. I'll add a prayer and sending a hug!

• Skigirl72
    edited November 2013

Ink- I am right down the road from RGH. I do not work during the daytime most days. You ever need company during an infusion I can come visit or bring coffee... (sounds a bit weird that I said that even though we just met (and not in person)). Pluta is closer to you I think but RGH has a great cancer center too. I had my ALND in August and I have full range of motion. It took a few weeks after surgery and PT to get it back. I went back to work two weeks after that surgery. They did a sentinel node biopsy when I had my mx and nothing showed in the initial pathology. It was only after the final pathology that they found one node positive with extra nodal involvement. I wore a sleeve every day for radiation and I wear it mostly every day for now. I haven't had any issues with lymphedema yet and I hope I can catch it early if I do. Is your AC every 2 weeks or 3? Mine was every 3.

• inks
    edited November 2013

I would love to see you ladies at your lunch someday, Buffalo and Batavia are both fine ( I love the Galleria mall, and we go to Batavia for the Boy Scout store). I have a little clue about what you are going through with your testing right now since both of my grandmothers have had cancer (both are still doing great). I can pick out BC patients both at my surgeons and plastic surgeons waiting room, so I know there are a lot of us around. I just feel that only someone who has gone through this themselves or helped somebody close to them get through BC know what we are dealing with.

Skigirl - I would love for you to visit during my infusion, but perhaps after the holidays, since I know how busy this time of year can be with a family. I feel that we have so much in common already - think back to the time when we had to talk to our sons about the state of our boobs. Plus the fact that we were node negative after the surgery, but had one pesky positive node 2 weeks later. And I still do not know what to do with that node and the axilla.

Wishing everybody lots of sleep and no anxiety during tests and great results.

• Skigirl72
    edited November 2013

Good luck tomorrow and keep us posted.

• karen333
    karen333 Member Posts: 2,037
    edited November 2013

Hi all, saw the cardiologist this AM, I have COPD, low O2 saturation (which may have been triggered by my bout with cellulitus) and a racing heart rate. He put me on medication for the racing heart rate, I have to wear the O2 24/7. The low O2 sat. accounts for me feeling weak and dizzy, it has been bothering me for the last few weeks. I am trying to wrap my mind around all this, I hate, hate, hate having to wear the O2 in public, but as bevin said, it will cause my heart not to have to work so hard, so it is what it is. sending love, Karen

• SusanHG
    SusanHG Member Posts: 455
    edited November 2013

Hi All,

Well, so sorry to hear all the complications with testing and doctor`s visits etc.

Karen-so sorry about your diagnosis and having to wear that oxygen again, but if it will be good for your heart to do so then it is something you should be glad to have (as annoying as it maybe :( ). wishing you healing and sending hugs from afar. Miss you!

Maureen-they couldn`t let you just go with an all clear, could they? :( these tests are madness and so, so stressful, but I understand their importance and doctors are doing what they need to do. i guess we must keep telling ourselves that, albeit nerve wracking and anxiety provoking. Sending hugs to you too and positive results and thoughts. Room in your pocket for me and my martini? hope so because I am shoving myself in there. Miss you girl!

Debbie-so sorry you have had to go through such a rough patch with the loss of your friend. I have had a bc loss as well-an old neighbor from my block just passed. That was tough to get through as well. :( Nice to see your hair returning! that must feel fantastic. And the eyelashes...hell, that probably feels like nothing, and I am sure they will be back shortly. Sending healing to you as you finish up rads. Hope you can make the next lunch! will be good to see you again.

Bevin, Jan, Betty, Linda, Seaside, Cheryl miss you lots and welcome inks!! I will try to make the next lunch through hell or high water!!! Going out to buy the Godiva now for the chocolate party on Friday....I will buy the BIG bottle.

Hugs and love to all!

Susan

• SeasideMemories
    SeasideMemories Member Posts: 2,462
    edited November 2013

Karen,

Will be thinking of you tomorrow as you have your appt with your BS. Thinking you've had quite enough 'excitement' so looking forward to what I hope to be just a routine visit!

• inks
    edited November 2013

Made it through first chemo, slept a lot. Have trouble drinking, I can't see to get it down. Mainly I feel like a have cold. Today onto neulasta and hopefully some more x-mas shopping, in the midst all of this I totally forgot that our daughters birthday is couple days before Christmas.

• karen333
    edited November 2013

Hi all, saw my BS today, all clear, see you in a year. Magic words, I am jumping in your pocket right now Maureen, will stay till we get an all clear. love, Karen

• bevin
    edited November 2013

Karen- wonderful news!

Maureen- saying an extra prayer tonight.

Hugs

Bevin

• Maureen813
    Maureen813 Member Posts: 1,826
    edited November 2013

inky sounds like a typical chemo day. Drinking is so very important to flush the system. Do whatever it takes to keep the fluids going. The idea is getting the chemo in and out of your system as quickly as possible. I drank so much water thought I was going to float away. Good luck with the shot tomorrow. I felt achy from the shot keep taking your anti neausea meds too.

Yay karen!!!!!! Great news

Me: had my MRI off to biopsy tomorrow. Results in a week. It's gonna be a long week.

Betty. Thanks perfect timing my friend

Bev. Thanks for the prayers too. I need many of those

Hi everyone else. I hear deb makes a mean banana bread too

• janhart
    janhart Member Posts: 292
    edited November 2013

Karen, sorry about the COPD diagnosis, but glad about the all clear from the BS. Maureen, will be saying a prayer that your biopsy results give you an all clear too. So many tests lately for you, so stressful, can't wait for you to be able to relax. Inks, listen to Maureen, she's giving you good advice.

Hi to everyone else.......Jan

• Maureen813
    edited November 2013

Hi all bone biopsy done. I'm resting tonight n tomorrow. Am I reserving table at our usual place? I thought that we our last discussion but trying to recall.

• bevin
    edited November 2013

Sounds good and I'm hungry thinking about it!

• heymoose
    heymoose Member Posts: 682
    edited November 2013

Sounds good, we are talking about 12/14 as the date ?

Maureen feel better and rest as much as you need.

Hugs Cheryl

• janhart
    janhart Member Posts: 292
    edited November 2013

Maureen, hope you are resting comfortably. Thinking about you.......Jan

• karen333
    edited November 2013

Maureen, rest easy and as much as you need. hugs, Karen

• Maureen813
    edited November 2013

Yay bills. It's about time. Karen did you have your sundress on today? Need a favor. Can some one call and make reservations for dec. quite frankly I'm just trying to get through the day today. I fell asleep last night at 9pm and never woke up till 730 am. On the couch today. Just really lazy and nervous

• karen333
    edited November 2013

Maureen, so glad you are resting, no sundress, just my comfy yoga pants and a long sleeve shirt from DGS, quite fetching indeed. Wasn't it nice to see them win. How many yays do we have?, I'll make the reservations, you have had the last two weeks from He**, time to make sure that couch is comfy. love, Karen

• karen333
    edited November 2013

Hi all, going to make reservations for the 14th, I am recalling these yays, Maureen, Betty, Cheryl, bevin, Susan, Debbie and me, is that accurate? Linda has to work , as does Jan, we will miss you both, did I leave anyone out? Karen

• bevin
    edited November 2013

Dear Maureen, you deserve a rest. And, while this is all nerve wracking, I am glad your doctors are checking all avenues. Praying for a good outcome.

Karen- thanks for making reservations.

Hoping everyone else is good.

• Maureen813
    edited November 2013

Honestly I lost count. I think 6or7

• Skigirl72
    edited November 2013

I'm in. the 14th?

• karen333
    edited November 2013

Yup, got you counted in, can't wait to see the new "do"!! The 14th it is.

• Skigirl72
    edited November 2013

Williamsville? Where again? Damn chemo brain...

• karen333
    edited November 2013

Hi Debbie, Williamsville, Creekview Restaurant, at 12:30, they have a website with directions and menu, food is great, chocolate martinis -depends on if they have Godiva Liquor and a certain waitress. When I call for reservations, I will ask them to have a bottle on hand, large bottle! So glad you are coming, hugs, Karen oh reservations in Maureen's name.

• karen333
    edited November 2013

I made reservations for the 14th at 12:30 for 7, also requested they have Godiva Liquor, so we get the ones we like. Can't wait to see everyone, Maureen - thinking of you, sending prayers.