Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bonfire of the Goddesses

Options

Comments

• oakley
    oakley Member Posts: 82
    edited February 2011
    Options

Omaz - what is the DEAD TONGUE thing?  Now I'm feeling a bit slow...

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I don't know what the DEAD TONGUE thing is either - that makes two of us oakley
  • chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited February 2011
    Options

Make that three.

• geewhiz
    geewhiz Member Posts: 671
    edited February 2011
    Options

Be thankful you ladies don't know...if I have it right. I think she means a chemo side effect. For about 6 months you can taste virtually nothing.

• jo1955
    edited February 2011
    Options

That would really suck.  

• geewhiz
    geewhiz Member Posts: 671
    edited February 2011
    Options

That's why I had to use biotin...it's an enzyme mouthwash that helps a bit. The other part of not tasting anything is that when the taste buds kick in....everything tastes metallic (carboplatin..platinum). I used to always say I felt like I was sucking on a mouthful of nickels all year. See why I threw in my biotin now, lol??

• jo1955
    edited February 2011
    Options

geewhiz - Now it makes sense.

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    edited February 2011
    Options

im still finding people.X co workers females especially....doin the power play.

into the fire you go....you know who you are....milkin the system.doin nuthin,collectin the big bucks.....Karma is now comin into play....im on a roll...oh this feels sooooo good.

• oakley
    edited February 2011
    Options

Thanks geewhiz - now I understand.  That's just yuck.  Sad.Frown

But now for Omaz it's IN THE BONFIRE!!! Laughing 

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    edited February 2011
    Options
    oakley - chemo dead tongue - feels like a lump, can't taste a thing - good riddance
  • omaz
    edited February 2011
    Options

Sorry I didn't get back sooner, I have a computer virus and we are duking it out, so far I am losing.

• jo1955
    edited February 2011
    Options

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    edited February 2011
    Options

for the dead tongue thing.. i didn't get told till 1/2 way thru chemo.. use plastic silverware, whenever you eat. believe it or not, it helps with the metallic taste!!

i find i like the taste of things now i didn't before, and vice versa.. its' a strange life we "come back " to..

• oakley
    edited February 2011
    Options

Omaz and 3jays - so glad you are back or are on your way back to tasting things.  

• GirlFriday
    GirlFriday Member Posts: 203
    edited February 2011
    Options

@sandeeonherown and geewhize:  Oh, I was heard. I spoke with the coordinating BC nurse after and told her I was less than impressed.  She told me the doc had been very sick the day before and still was.  I said, well thank her for shaking my hand!  Seriously, I don't want to get the flu because some Doc is trying to meet her busy schedule and because she's "polite".  Good news I won't see her until my rads is over, and my rads doc rocks!   If I go back and she is abrupt about my Tamox and my "survivorship plan"  I'll tell her to take a flying leap! I"m throwing all of these negative frustrated feelings into the fire.  Now I'm off to have an endometrial (sp?) biopsy!  Can I throw the stirrups and the speculum in too?

• jo1955
    edited February 2011
    Options

GirlFriday - By all means, throw them in and may they burn!

• crusader1
    crusader1 Member Posts: 114
    edited February 2011
    Options

Hi,

Just remembered that I should throw in my breast surgeons office worker who forgot to tell me that my lumpectomy had been postponed. I found out when I returned from a trip and got a call from the hospital. The worker said no one had told her. Why did she have to lie?Of course she knew when the breast surgeon operates..Sometimes I wonder if these people have any idea of what we are going through..

Hugs,

Francine

• QCA
    QCA Member Posts: 1,150
    edited February 2011
    Options

Hi all you goddesses! This thread is just super.  I want to add the radiologist who did my 4 sentinal node injections and inserted the locator wire for my lumpectomy.  My surgeon had taken training to be able to do all that herself and assured me I'd be under anesthesia when it was done, so  when I was taken to radiology for "some more pictures" I wasn't alarmed.  My breast was immobolized in the machine when this radiologist approached from the back and said he was going to do the injections and insert the wire, and would not listen to my protests!  No numbing cream, no nothing.  It was the worst part of the whole experience to me.  The pain was excruciating, but it was mainly the helplessness I felt when I realized that nothing I could say was going to stop him.  When he inserted the wire, he had to back it out and insert it again because "you moved".  WTH!!  My surgeon was absolutely livid  when I got back to my room.

I didn't realize to what extent this had affected me until a couple of months ago I had a bone density test at the same place.  I burst into tears when I walked in the door and cried until I left.

Anyhow, although I never got a good look at this guy, I got an impression of a stout little man, so he should SIZZLE, SIZZLE, SIZZLE!!!

Kathy

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781
    edited February 2011
    Options

Girlfriday- glad the radiologist is great....tha makes a difference...and there are other docs out ther so if yours has a hand-washing issue...and a deadline, find one who has the time and cares...it makes a difference.: )

• jo1955
    edited February 2011
    Options

I, too want to throw in the guy who did not 4 sentinel node injections.  He told me it would hurt but downplayed just how much.  Thought I was going to die and after he left, I cried so hard - don't remember doing that ever.  May he burn a slow death.

• omaz
    edited February 2011
    Options
    jo - What the heck was that about!! 
  • jo1955
    edited February 2011
    Options

Omaz - I had to have 4 injections of dye in my nipple and then a series of pictures - this was done in nuclear radiology just prior to surgery.  Once the pictures were done, I was marked so the surgeon would know the location of the nodes he would remove in surgery.  The injections hurt like h$$l.

• omaz
    edited February 2011
    Options
    jo - they should have numbed you first, that was not right.
  • jo1955
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Omaz - I was told they tried mixing a numbing agent in with the first injection but it diluted the dye.  I think that is a bunch of crap.  This was the worst part of this whole experience.
  • jo1955
    edited February 2011
    Options

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited February 2011
    Options

My surgeon had nuclear medicine come to day surgery to inject the tracer.  While we waited for them he explained that the injection could be very painful but he gave me a couple of injections of painkiller to make it more bearable.  By the time I  got the tracer I was numb enough that it felt like a very hot but not burning liquid moved slowly through my breast from the area of the injection to my armpit.  Almost but not quite painful.  Obviously my BS is not going on the fire!  Now my med onc--that is a different story.

• LG300
    LG300 Member Posts: 512
    edited February 2011
    Options

I'd like to throw the post-op nurse and nurse manager from the PACU (post anesthia care unit), as well as the administrators at NYU Medical Center, into the bonfire.  After one of my surgeries, one of the post-op nurses screwed up and gave me the leftover Fentanyl from another patient in my IV.  They waited more than 24 hours to let me know about the mistake (the nurse reported it the following morning and they spent all day figuring out whether legally they needed to tell me).  If I had been infected with anything, it was too late to give me a prophylactic drug cocktail.  And the nurse manager, who was the one who finally called me, told me they couldn't find out whether the other patient had HIV or hepatitis.  Fortunately, after my father (who's a doctor) spoke with the chief epidemiologist, he found out the other patient had been in the hospital for in vitro and didn't have any of the diseases I worried about.  But my family and I were completely freaked out for 24 hours until we got the results.  I did end up getting a staph infection.

• LG300
    LG300 Member Posts: 512
    edited February 2011
    Options

QCA - The insertion of the locator wires (I had three!) was definitely the worst and most painful part of any of my surgeries (not counting the post-surgical infections).

It felt good to write my last post and get rid of some of my anger.  I'd also like to throw my old boss (from the job I left right before my diagnosis) into the bonfire.  She's a horrible person and defintely deserves to burn.

• 3jaysmom
    edited February 2011
    Options
    wow! i have NO idea what "locator wires " are, i assume its' cause both the girls went the day of surgery.. im sure Glad i didnt have to do any of that!! jo, i for sure would of found out the name of the guy who did it WITHOUT your permission, im still cringing with that story. we are brave ladies, to go through with all we do.. and not the "brave" they say to you, with the pathetic look on their face, but "warrior" brave; doing all we can to get through it all.with JERKS at least part of the time!
  • 3jaysmom
    edited February 2011
    Options
    i got so freaked out, i forgot to tell ya QCA: let him burn, baby burn!!! i gotta go lay down and at least rest and read. sleep isn't coming to visit for hours yet.. night all... 3jays