Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

So...whats for dinner?

Comments

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408

I tried making a goose for Hanukkah one year and could not keep up with the fat rendering—nearly set the oven on fire. I buy my ducks either precooked (Maple Farms half-ducks or confits) or as duck breast, which I can score and grill outdoors.

After coming home from a morning Bar Show rehearsal, I made an "unBagel" with cream cheese & lox, tomato, onion, dill & capers. Same thing for Bob, only on a regular sesame bagel I picked up from Dunkin' in the train station.

Tonight we went to Brasserie C&C (used to be Cookies & Carnitas till the owner decided to change his focus). Had intended to get its seasonal 3-course tasting menu, which was fish-based (scallop crudo, perch & vanilla bundt cake). But it was a raw, windy & rainy walk over there, so not a night for fish (especially not a cold fish app). Looked at the menu and saw the magic word: cassoulet. It was made with whole rock Cornish hen rather than confit of duck leg, plus a saucisse de Lyon. The perfect dish for cold crummy weather. Bob started with French onion soup, I with "Duck duck goose" egg rolls—which turned out to be filled with pulled duck and topped with a full lobe of foie gras on a shmear of Cantonese "duck sauce." (Brought the other roll home). We shared a wedge Caesar salad so big that we took most of that home too. The chef-owner brought over a couple of demitasses of butternut squash soup with walnuts and topped with foie gras—on the house. The cassoulet was warming & filling—so the breasts and one thigh came home with us too. I was weak: vanilla creme brulée topped with blueberries, a baby kiwifruit, and whipped crème frâiche.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,133

I always experience positive reactions to cassoulet. I have not eaten the genuine version as seen cooked on tv.

The turkey and cheese grilled cheese sandwiches were good. I used most of the remaining pesto, spread on the inside of the bread, slices of sandwich turkey and slices of a good mild cheddar. Instead of an oiled skillet, I spread soft butter on the outside of the bread, which is a good wheat bread. The turkey didn't add much if any flavor. We're not deli turkey fans. Most of the "flavor" is salt.

DH is the cook tonight. He volunteered to make pot roast, one of his favorite cool/cold weather meals. It isn't as cool as last week. Yesterday I resorted to turning on the a/c.

So far dh seems ok with the Hungryroot meals. I'm learning I will have to edit the shipments to eliminate the extras for snacks and breakfast. They must add to the expense and I haven't found them good. Also they have a lot of calories.

Wally, we're waiting for your next multi-meal entree. LOL.

Hello, Nance. Are you ok?

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,896

Hello Friends! I am among the living, if not those fleet of foot.

The sciatica is very much improved though the back spasms and knee are not. Cooking is a chore because of the back. Unlike yours SK, mine is relieved by just sitting (at least for a while). But then too much sitting aggravates the sciatica. It's so frustrating. I'm very interested in if SpecialK and Sandy (and any others of you who have back spasms) have any advice for me. The ortho doc said that they could possibly "burn" the nerves there. That doesn't sound like a fun time but I'm desperate enough to give it some consideration. I have a lot of stenosis and disc degeneration so I'm not sure how treatable it all is. I'm just glad I no longer have much sciatic pain.

In the meantime, there is cooking. Because I can't stand for long periods of time, I've been relying on pressure cooker and slow cooker meals, plus a great deal of carryout. Last night was a choucroute garnie with pork ribs and smoked sausage in the pressure cooker. Tonight will be cubed steaks in the slow cooker. Like most slow cooker recipes it calls for cream of something soup, which I despise, so I'll probably just use lots of onions, mushrooms and stock and thicken it after. Sides will be boiled tiny potatoes and roasted beets with garlic.

Adding to my adventures in abbreviated cooking - recently I have taken to occasionally cooking an artichoke in the microwave by rinsing it then wrapping it loosely in plastic wrap. It produces a rather homely but completely edible product in a short period of time with less mess. I hadn't made one for a while so I looked up a recipe which called for microwaving it for 16 minutes. I was distracted by other things so set the timer and went off to do something else. When I came back in 16 minutes I found a completely desiccated artichoke that weighed absolutely nothing. It was the strangest looking thing with nothing edible about it. Sixteen minutes was about 8 minutes too long. Clearly I looked up the wrong recipe lol.

Carole - I'm very interested in your Hungry Root meals. Why did you choose that one over others like Hello Fresh? I know you're not happy with parts of it but what about over all? I've considered trying one but stall at the commitment. What about the expense? I spend lots of $$ at the grocery store. Does it make it better or worse?

I love duck and goose but haven't made either in years. If I want duck, I also buy the pre cooked parts. When I was a kid, my grandmother always made a goose at Christmas. I don't know how she dealt with the fat but it was delicious. Probably because she raised and butchered it herself.

We've been having perfect weather here - some cool enough days for soups and oven meals with warm enough days to grill outside. If I had my way, it would be like this all year long.

Wishing that all those suffering with physical issues find relief.

• chisandy

Nance, I've found certain ergonomics help prevent the spasms (e.g., swinging my legs over the side of my bed first and then lifting from the side to sitting; and squatting as far as I can when reaching down rather than bending over). Once I feel the soreness, piriformis stretches help, as does an exercise my PT taught me: lean over a high counter (my kitchen island cart is ideal), relax the back muscles, and slowly move each leg back (short ROM) 8 times, repeat on the other leg. 3 sets of 8 reps per side.

I also use a menthol roll-on infused with CBD, as well as IcyHot or Aspercreme lidocaine roll-on, and Voltaren gel. Arnica gel helps too—it feels "cooling" but doesn't smell. Sagely makes a CBD spray, and Balans a CBD roll-on with multiple small steel roller balls instead of one big plastic one. At bedtime, if I'm tensing up, a lidocaine patch (prefer the 5% Rx Lidoderm ones, which my insurance won't carry and my pharmacy won't sell now that 4% ones are OTC) or a Flector (time-release Voltaren). I never wear a patch longer than 12 hrs. I've found the generic diclofenac gel & patches to be just as good as the Voltaren & Flector. When I go abroad, I try to find the 2% Voltaren gel ("Voltadol Forte" in Spain & Italy, "Voltaren Emulgel" in Canada). Salonpas lidocaine patches work decently, but their original salicylate ones gave me burns. When all else fails, ice right after a spasm to kill the pain, and then a heating pad to keep the muscles warm & supple.

• carolehalston

Nance, so good to hear from you. Sorry you're still dealing with pain. I'll report in more detail about Hungry Root after another shipment. We liked Hello Fresh but the recipes involved too much work immediately before dinner time. So far Hungry Root is simpler.

DH's pot roast meal was very good last night and I ate too much.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,401

I appreciate the kind words about my meal stretching. I'm lazy by nature; if I can make less work for myself, that is typically the route I take. Isn't there a saying about necessity is the mother of invention…well, that applies to me when it comes to less work, LOL.

Last night I sauteed some canned 'shrooms with red onion, and laid my mahi-mahi on that and shoved it in the oven (the coating/sauce on the fish was a butter/cream/mustard/mayo/garlic mix I concocted and slathered. Anything that dripped into the pan was a nice sauce). Nuked broccoli and canned corn.

Leftovers tonight.

I feel for all of you dealing with pain. I did something to my right foot. If my own dx is correct, it is extensor tendonitis. The swelling is going down and the pain is nearly gone. I suspect it was due to wearing newer Topo shoes which have an incredible amount of toe box space and my feet had too much room (the day we walked from the hospital to the ferry terminal).

This morning I am going to the eye doc for mapping of my eye to see if my elevated eye pressures are stable and not causing any damage, which would mean I can kick the can down the road for eye drops.

• carolehalston

That coating/sauce for the mahi mahi has the right ingredients to be delicious.

I'm cooking catfish fillets tonight in the air fryer. I'll use a cornmeal version of the Shore Lunch breading I discovered in MN.

I'm mulling over the idea of getting an air fryer that also functions as a toaster oven, if such a thing exists. Then I could get rid of the current pod shaped air fryer and the toaster oven. My stove oven is supposed to have an air fryer function. I should probably try it. Hmm.

• auntienance

Carole, my toaster oven is an air fryer as well. I believe there are several different manufacturers. I don't remember offhand what mine is. It works very nicely. I also like the air fryer function of my oven especially for larger quantities (like chicken wings).

Sandy - thanks for the back info.

Tonight is some kind of carry out to be determined.

• carolehalston

I used the air fryer function on the oven last night but the fish fillets didn't brown on the top. So I raised the shelf and used the broiler. The result was wonderful. DH made a tartar sauce. Our side was a green cabbage slaw, with slivered cabbage done by hand. Dressing was white balsamic and mayo. Very enjoyable meal, not too much food.

I'm having lunch out with three women friends. Dinner tonight will probably be leftover pot roast.

I think a better way to go than using the air fry setting on my oven would be to set a higher temperature, 450 maybe, and choose convection. The temperature on the air fry setting was 425.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258

auntie - I am also in the abbreviated cooking camp, standing too long seems to be an issue for me, although walking around is not too bad. it is almost like my discomfort is exacerbated by gravity. Hurts more the longer I stand, but if I do a task and then rest by half laying down (sitting upright hurts more), I am accomplishing most of my daily tasks. Definitely not doing any cooking that involves multiple steps that have to be in order. I have a long-awaited appointment on Monday with my new primary care doc, and will see what she has to say, and whether she sends me to someone else for any kind of imaging or exam. So far, heat/rest/anti-inflammatory meds are only partially effective. Will report back. Sorry about your artichoke - they are one of my favorite foods, Cali girl that I am.

Dinner last night was cauliflower pappardelle with hot Italian sausage and mushrooms combined with Rao's Arrabiata for DH. I had some broccoli salad and sour cream potato salad with dill.

Dinner tonight needs to include Caesar salad, maybe with chicken. I have some heads of romaine that I need to use. Will make some homemade croutons this afternoon.

Events for the house sale are coming along - inspection is complete with no fixes needed. Yay! All that work we did before listing paid off. Appraisal is tomorrow. Then survey, then closing mid-Nov. According to the next-door neighbor's survey done for a fence install, our fence and gravel driveway is barely crossing over onto his line, so the fence was moved yesterday inward by 9", and DH is in the process of scraping the gravel over and moving the brick edging over. We originally placed all of that based on the neighbor's info about where the prop line was… New motto - trust, but verify.

DD will be having surgery on Nov 22 for her sinus issue. We will need to do T-Giv early. Her beau's family was supposed to come but we are seeing if they can come early so we can have a nice dinner and visit before all hell breaks loose. DD is a drama llama of a patient… The CT shows the sinus sealed and completely opaque. She has a badly deviated septum which will need to be fixed, and hopefully all that crap in the sinus is not concealing anything bad. On a previous CT she had for a concussion a few years ago there was a cyst and two polyps, but there was no mention of those on this imaging. The nerve is being impinged upon, and hopefully has not been permanently damaged by the trapped infection. This is basically the exact surgery DH had at the height of Covid in 2020, but he had to do it inpatient since he has treated sleep apnea. DD can do it outpatient, and will convalesce at our house. I will become nurse Mom, but nurse Dad will assist. It will prob take both of us, lol!

chisandy - interesting mention of tic doloreux. This was a topic broached by one of the three docs that saw DD in the UC Colorado Health Center in Denver as a possible cause of her in-flight emergency. The doc's eyes widened when I said that my BIL (DH's older brother) had it his freshman year of college at UF. There is a possible hereditary aspect. It was so severe he had to leave school. My FIL got in touch with someone at University of Pittsburgh Med Center (FIL went to med school there) who had pioneered a surgical technique to treat it - this was in the mid-70's. They went up and BIL had the surgery and it was very successful. He had a very minor stroke probably 20 years ago, and in that workup they found an aneurysm in an unoperable location. So, he clearly has some blood vessel issues, but has functioned normally without further incident. He went on to finish school and became a gastroenterologist, and is still practicing part-time. He and I are the same age - I married his younger brother 😉 My understanding is that there are now a number of available treatments, including gamma knife and some magnetic stimulation treatment.

• auntienance

Special - that is exactly my issue - standing hurts, walking around does not. And that is exactly how I have to get things done - work a but, sit a bit. Rinse and repeat. i certainly hope your DD's sinus problems are resolved by the surgery with few complications. It sounds miserable.

Carole - I find that the air fryer in the oven works better when the food is on a rack when possible.

Dinner tonight is an unknown which usually results in pasta

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258

auntie - yeah, I am not liking this slow pace for routine household stuff, at all… When DH had this surgery done it did indeed solve his issues, so I hope the same for DD. The doc is an old hand, has been the department head at two hospitals he has privileges at, and is the perfect combination of "seen it all" and has made sure he is totally up on the latest technology. He has customized scan processes and only lets one specific rad doc read his stuff. He is also a character and a half. He handled my sudden one-sided deafness and took DD's tonsils out 10 years ago. My BIL the GI doc has also been his patient. She is in great hands, but she is very nervous too. Here is the contrast with her in living color - yesterday she was alligator hunting - like, for actual alligators - the bigger the better, but I will have to hold her hand when they put her IV in. And she will probably cry…

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708

Hi all, I’ve been sick, some kind of virus (negative for Covid), so not eating much. Finally got the big D resolved but had chemo on Thursday and I’m not feeling 100% yet. I did have some turkey meatballs with spinach in a cream sauce last night and pork chops, spinach and scalloped potatoes tonight.

Hungryroot is definitely quicker than hello fresh and although I finally cancelled due to packing issues (missing or damaged items), it did introduce me to lots of things I can and do replicate on my own.

Tomorrow will be dinner at a neighbors up the road. No idea what we’re having but I’m bringing cheesecake.

• chisandy

Sorry you're under the weather, Illimae, but glad it's not COVID (or RSV). There is norovirus (aka rotavirus) going around—no vaccine for it—which does a real number on your gut. (Someone commented that it makes you afraid you're not gonna die). Sounds like you're on the mend, as evidenced by your meals last night & tonight. Continue to heal!

The weather was so warm & dry today I was able to grill barramundi on the deck rather than stink up the kitchen pan-searing it. Accompanied it with sauteed snap peas, and a nuked fingerling potato medley (butter & herb flavor) for Bob.

• carolehalston

The Hungry Root shipment arrived on Tuesday last week. It's supposed to arrive today.

We had leftovers last night.

Glad you're better, Mae.

• wallycat

I wish everyone felt better. Being uncomfortable and ill is icky.

Had frozen salmon patties (costco) last night with broccoli/mushroom and some beets.

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,133

I agree with Wallycat on everyone feeling better.

Special. Sharon had surgery similar to what your DD is getting. Sharon said it was very worthwhile, although it felt a bit weird when the doctors removed what she thought was a mile of packing from her nose…didn't hurt….just felt weird….

• chisandy

Too wet out tonight to grill, so I hauled out the cast iron skillet and got it screaming-hot. Seared a 1-1/2 inch-thick pasture-raised ribeye (seasoned with just S&P). I used the juices that collected after I let it carryover-cook tented in foil on the carving board, along with dry Madeira & butter, to sauté cremini ("baby bella") and shiitake mushrooms with minced shallot & parsley in the same skillet as the steak.. Veg was broccolini seared in EVOO (the "Sizzle" Spanish brand), lemon juice, red pepper flakes and crushed garlic. Bob had the remainder of the microwavable fingerlings from last night. Too tired to throw together a Caprese (and didn't want to go out in the rain to pick basil).

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 941

Costco Enchiladas from the freezer tonight. I was out all day, had lengthy hair things done (color, cut, tone etc.) so my time was more limited. Still worth it to me to spend the time and money on it so I do it.

For a party this weekend I am taking a fun appetizer I've made before. Caprese skewers! Little tomatoes, mozzarella balls rolled in Italian seasoning, and basil leaves, all on skewers, alternating. Then drizzled with EVOO. They were a hit the last time I took them to a gathering.

• chisandy

Try dotting them with some good balsamic too (or provide the balsamic for dipping).

• reader425

Good idea. Thank you!

• carolehalston

The little skewers sound delicious! I would definitely have one given the opportunity.

The Hungry Root dinner last night was very good. Of the four choices I picked the Chicken Enchilada because we had ripe avocados for guacamole. It's the first time I made enchiladas with no cheese, which suited dh. He isn't as crazy about cheese as I am. The meat was a highly seasoned fajita ground chicken. Instructions said half the package but I used all of it and increased the green chili sauce and the herb cream cheese. Yes, herb cream cheese!

The tortillas were organic white and I never buy flour tortillas. We both liked the meal. DH was amazed that the meat was ground chicken. We both were impressed with the green chili sauce which had a spicy kick. I have leftovers for lunch. I'm a leftovers lunch person whereas he likes a sandwich.

I edited my Hungry Root preferences this morning and eliminated lunch and breakfast items, which were raising the price and not offering much to our diet. Now I'll be getting three dinner meals.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,305

Another one of my eclectic meals. Leftover fresh fruit salad - the one with sour cream, coconut & baby marshmallows. Cocktail peanuts right out of the Planter's can. Godiva chocolate pudding made with part heavy cream and Tia Maria.

Prep for the next meal is leftover baked meatballs that cooked a little too long. They are cut in thirds & soaking in Korean BBQ sauce with a couple of fresh campari tomatoes. I haven't decided whether to serve them over Seeds of Change Quinoa & Brown Rice or maybe mashed potatoes.

Reader - I've never tried the Costco frozen enchiladas. Are they red or green chili? Meat or chicken or just cheese?

Carole - It's interesting to hear about all your new food adventures. Wasn't it Moon who had the meals delivered for awhile? Can't remember the brand.

Mae - hope you are feeling better. I hate stomach troubles. If I remember - are you still taking your chemo treatments closer to home so you don't have to drive to Houston?

Eric - welcome back. Have you settled into routine yet? My son is actually in Sedona as we speak. They will spend a day or two at the Grand Canyon and then visit friends in Cornville. Since my granddog died, it's the first time they've been able to travel in 9 years. Their dog was not a good travel companion and my DIL wouldn't leave the dog with anyone else EVER.

• chisandy

Didn't eat this morning because I was late for my mani-pedi. (Unintentional intermittent-fast goal achieved). Late-ish lunch was an "Un-Bun" keto bagel with cream cheese, Nova lox, tomato, red onion, dill & capers. Bought an overripe banana the other day to help my still-green windowsill tomatoes ripen. (Have 3 still on the vine, which—if the squirrels don't get 'em—I will pick tomorrow night before the upcoming freeze). Basil is beginning to go—despite keeping it from going to seed, the stems have gotten woody and the lower leaves have turned yellow with some black spots. Basil is notoriously cold-intolerant, and will turn black if refrigerated. Was going to dig some up and keep the roots in water indoors, but once the stems turn woody that's all she wrote. Oregano has flowered (the bumblebees were delighted) but still good, as are the chives, parsley, rosemary, mint & thyme…for now.

• wallycat
    edited October 2023

Hotdogs with beans and a side of green beans last night. Tonight is a spinach, potato, red onion, cheddar cheese fritatta.

• reader425

Minus the Costco Enchiladas were chicken with cheese and a red sauce with a slight kick. I can only take very slight spice but these worked for me, with a side of sour cream light.

Having cooked three days in a row this retiree said it was time to go out. Grilled salmon with mango chutney, a baked potato and squash fritters ( new to me and good - I try to avoid fried stuff but theses were worth it. Well see tonight if my GI system agrees).

Tomorrow I will use the other half of a chicken from Tuesday in something. Maybe sweet and sour since I have yellow and orange peppers on hand.

• eric95us

Dinner tonight was the leftover spaghetti.

Paid property taxes….1/2 goes to schools and half goes to other stuff, most of which is fire dept and library funding…so a not too irritating tax.

I've always smiled when I've heard the town name Cornville. The Grand Canyon should be nice this time of year. I think the North Rim has closed for the season, so I'm sure they're going to the South Rim.

The garden didn't do much this year, but at least I got some seeds. It's getting close to freezing here at night and I've brought in the pomegranate as it's still not very big . I haven't decided what to do with the apple trees (plants?) that are still in pots. For basil I just get new each year. The coriander/cilantro I let go to seed and I have about 200 seeds. I'm soaking the yellow pear tomatoes for the seeds.

• chisandy

I should save the tomato seeds (as well as those I discard when I cut up bell peppers), but I keep forgetting. Never been able to grow dill or cilantro; but I don't mind when my flat-leaf parsley "bolts" because I simply throw its flowers back on to the soil, knowing it'll come back (several times a summer).

Bob worked a bit late and picked up dinner from Calo on the way home: chicken Vesuvio and "fettucine monte e mare." The "mare" was cherrystone clams and shrimp, the "monte" portabella mushrooms & spinach. (The fettucine was…fettucine). I had a thigh and some peas & mushrooms (left the spuds) from the Vesuvio; and the seafood, veg and a little of the fettucine.

• carolehalston

Last night's Hungry Root steak got a hands down from dh. He said his steak was tough. Mine was good. The side was fingerling potatoes cut into smallish dice and cooked in a foil packet in the oven. S & P, olive oil and a packet of garlic herb seasoning. Thumb up from me.

Minus, Mae subscribed to Hello Fresh and Hungry Root at different times. I think Moon's meal kit plan was a different one.

• eric95us

We ate a late lunch at a local restaurant, so that was both lunch and dinner.

For what it's worth, there is a recall on onion products. It looks like mostly Arizona and California were where the onions were delivered and for now quite old "use by" dates.

https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/gills-onions-voluntarily-recalls-select-lots-fresh-diced-onion-products-because-possible-health-risk